PDA

View Full Version : Holy Mackeral!

John Snow
09-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Has anyone else heard about what's going on in Minneapolis-St. Paul?/ (http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/) Really scary stuff.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Pretty Sad...

Go...Obama?!?

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Your Republican Police State at work. Im just glad that nobody was declared an enemy combatant. Yet.

Sinistrum
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Given the source, I suspect more than a little exaggeration involved in what is being reported in regards to what the police are actually doing and more than a little glossing over of some of the things that many of the protestors are doing to incur police wrath. Having waded through many a protest to get to work while I was living in D.C. I can tell you honestly, that most of these hippies ain't as peace loving as they'd like you to believe.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Hippies suck...and they usually smell.

tanaww
09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
This is my favorite RNC convention story. (http://www.twincities.com/ci_10339904?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com)

Terez
09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Ah, this one's going up there with 2000 in the books. :D

John Snow
09-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Hippies suck...and they usually smell.

Hippies don't exist & never did. Pure media creation. That and poseurs. Now beatniks, on the other hand......

Sodas
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Amy Goodman, who cares? Democracy Now reaches so few people as to not matter. More people probably know about DailyKos.

Donna Brazile getting pepper sprayed? I would like to hear more about if that is true or not.

Crispin's Crispian
09-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Your Republican Police State at work. Im just glad that nobody was declared an enemy combatant. Yet.
You won't hear about that until the person's family wonders why the person never returned from the convention.

**ETA**

Sometimes I listen to our local community radio station, which is really just a big bunch of recent college grads and otherwise unemployed middle-aged ultra-liberals. They often cover protests and marches in downtown Portland, and even when they describe the events, you can tell they are overreporting. People will do whatever they can to incite the police to brutality, then report on it and make videos and audio to make the police look bad.

I'm not saying I agree with the use of force against protestors, nor that I am for "free speech zones" or anything like that. I just take reports like this with a grain of salt.

GonzoTheGreat
09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Come on, what do you need liberty for, anyway?
Only liberals care about that.

Seriously: everyone who is arrested there without being charged and put on trial, should file a complaint for wrongful arrest, false imprisonment and police harassment, and make sure that does make it into a court room. The only way to make police officers refrain from doing this sort of thing unless they are actually justified in it is to hit them in their wallets when they do it without justification. So get half the Minneapolis police force on unpaid leave for a couple of years, and other police forces will be less eager to cooperate next time a government asks for "protest suppression".

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Hippies don't exist & never did. Pure media creation. That and poseurs. Now beatniks, on the other hand......

Being a Vermonter, I see plenty of these so-called "hippies" Usually college kids that are very rigtheous about their hatred of Corporate America while they go to college in Vermont for $30 K a year of corporate Daddy's money driving a car paid for by Mommy and Daddy while they bemoan the evils that the Man has done. Those are the poseurs I suppose. They're very annoying and they don't bathe.

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
My dad claims to have been a hippy.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
My mother was married in a paisley wedding dress. Either she was a hippy or was momentarily color blind. Or high. Not sure.

John Snow
09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Given the source, I suspect more than a little exaggeration involved in what is being reported in regards to what the police are actually doing and more than a little glossing over of some of the things that many of the protestors are doing to incur police wrath.

to me was the raids on the homes before any protests or the convention began. That, and the photographs of the military and police and FBI - even given that I'm not experienced at seeing these sorts of affairs, the display of force looked unusual.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
My mother was married in a paisley wedding dress. Either she was a hippy or was momentarily color blind. Or high. Not sure.

Possibly all 3. ;)

John Snow
09-02-2008, 11:34 AM

Some of my favorite ties are paisley. This could be my scottish genes coming out, but I love paisley.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Being a Vermonter, I see plenty of these so-called "hippies" Usually college kids that are very rigtheous about their hatred of Corporate America while they go to college in Vermont for $30 K a year of corporate Daddy's money driving a car paid for by Mommy and Daddy while they bemoan the evils that the Man has done. Those are the poseurs I suppose. They're very annoying and they don't bathe.

But...but...the poseurs are so easy to toy with.

So, I'm having luch at my eating club during my junior year. In the early 90's this club was the campus animal house. Our dues went to beer, not food (Im saying that the food was SHIIIIIT....beer was too, but there was a lot of it). I, being the dedicated meatatarian that I am, was just setting down to enjoy my shoeleather steak with old A1 when out of the blue this acquaintance of mine pops out with "I can't believe you are eating that poor defenseless animal (this from someone who is a member of a club that serves [bad] meat at every single meal)!!"

I gave the tassles on the sleeve of her 100% gen-u-ine leather jacket a gentle tug and reminded her that "I kill poor defenseless animals to survive. Not as a fashion statement."

She didn't speak to me for some time, for some reason.

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Some of my favorite ties are paisley. This could be my scottish genes coming out, but I love paisley.
Paisley is appropriate for ties. And socks. Perhaps boxers. Not dresses...

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Love my paisley ties. Im very anal about my choice of neckties. I don't let anyone buy them for me. Not my wife. Not my mother.

I like a tight, conservative pattern. Partial to dark blues and reds. Won't wear it if its not 100% silk.

GonzoTheGreat
09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
This could be my scottish genes coming out, but I love paisley.
Ian Paisley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley)?

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Ian Paisley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley)? His tie is striped.

FAIL!

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Like Terez said, Paisley is acceptable in ties. Maybe in small patterns, the occaisional turtle neck... NOT a wedding dress. Needless to say, we all refused to be handed down that dress. lol

Sinistrum
09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
to me was the raids on the homes before any protests or the convention began. That, and the photographs of the military and police and FBI - even given that I'm not experienced at seeing these sorts of affairs, the display of force looked unusual.

My next question is do we have any independent confirmation that those raids actually took place aside from a salon.com blogger or any independent confirmation that those pictures are what they say they are?

So get half the Minneapolis police force on unpaid leave for a couple of years, and other police forces will be less eager to cooperate next time a government asks for "protest suppression".

Brilliant suggestion. Lets turn a U.S. city into a criminals paradise by getting half of its cops off the streets. :rolleyes: Here's an alternative suggestion. How about all these angry, self-righteous, patchouli smelling, unshaved, unbathed, tie dye wearing, liberal asshats actually start practicing what they preach, peaceably protest, and not do their utmost to provoke these cops just trying to their jobs into reacting to them.

EDIT:

Hey look! I've found a video of the protestors and police clashing in St. Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

Mort
09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
So, I'm having luch at my eating club

.... The whatnow?

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds fratish.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 11:57 AM
vaguely frat-ish.

Cary Sedai
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Paisley is appropriate for ties. And socks. Perhaps boxers. Not dresses...

I would definitely wear a paisley dress! :D

Like Terez said, Paisley is acceptable in ties. Maybe in small patterns, the occaisional turtle neck... NOT a wedding dress. Needless to say, we all refused to be handed down that dress. lol

Where's the dress now?

Davian93
09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I have several paisley ties...its a very common tie pattern afterall...I believe I have a couple Brooks Brothers paisley ties that would perfectly match the dress shirt I'm wearing right now.

JSUCamel
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Somewhere out there is a tie designer...

And every morning he wakes up and thinks to himself, "Hmm.. what kind of ugly can I make today?"

Let's face it. The vast majority of ties are uglier than Hillary's ass. Especially paisley ones.

That's why I only wear Bugs Bunny ties. I also have a tie with a naked chick on it (that painting with Venus or whatever he name is) and one of a stick figure who was a victim of a drive-by shooting.

Yep.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Somewhere in storage, Cary. It was also homemade and made of polyester.

Cary Sedai
09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
OMGosh, that's awesome! I love polysester! :D

tanaww
09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow. You really ARE "from Austin", aren't you? Polyester is yucky.