PDA

View Full Version : Audio Books

Figbiscuit
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Further to a comment Ishara's made in the 'right now' thread, I have questions on Audio Books and thought they were probably worth generating a new thread for.

So tell me about them. They aren't something I've ever really bothered with so far, for a number of reasons:

1) My commute is only about 15 minutes each way, and never seemed long enough to make it worth the bother.

2) I didn't think I had something to play them on (forgetting I now have an iPhone)

3) Audible never seemed very cost-effective to me - isn't it some kind of subscription service

oh, and 4) With my passion for proper books, plus now my Kindle, my beloved might have an eppy if I find yet other ways to spend money on books ;)

So what do you all do? Do you listen? Where do you purchase from and d/l to? How do they compare to reading the real thing?

Tomp
08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
I use them as an alternative to music when excercising (walking) and when I'm going for >20 min trips in my car.

A good book can be ruined by a bad "voicer". I suggest you check who's voicing the audio book.
Maybe people could suggest good "voicers".

I listened to HP a number of years ago and they were voiced by Stephen Fry. He was one of the better ones.

(Don't know if voicer is a correct term)

Ishara
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
I actually don't absorb as much by listening as I do by reading, and can tune things out unintentionally. That being said, with short stories (a genre I normally stay far away from), it's perfect for audio. David Sedaris, who I mentioned in the other thread has a wonderful high-pitched effete voice that's just a little bit judgy, and it makes listening to his stories even funnier, in my opinion.

I'ven told that you need to watch for unabridged versions of books, and that the audio versions of Guy Gavriel Kay's works, and Diana Gabaldon's novels are quite good. These are two writers that I know take a personal interest in the actors associated with their audio-versions.

I will say that I could listen to Stephen Fry narrate the phone book and be captivated. One of my favourite parts of Little Big Planet is his voice-over. He has such a lovely, warm and kind voice...

Mort
08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I use Audible. You can choose to pay somewhere around 12-14 dollars / month for one credit or just buy the book. Older books are usually much cheaper, like 7 dollars. Others can cost 20 dollars or more, there is where you "save money".

Naturally audiobooks are a bit more expensive than regular books since you need to hire someone to do the voicing, the better voice actor -> more expensive book. So it's not cost effective if that is the only factor you go for, but I feel I get more time on books than I used to. Just because I can "read" when doing other stuff, usually menial stuff like doing the dishes, taking a walk or just winding down before bed. I usually don't take the time to read otherwise, always something else to do.

I havn't found a terrible voice actor yet. I loved how the actor portrayed the characters in Joe Abercrombie's series for example. Recently I listened to Reamde by Neal Stephenson - read by Wil Wheaton, very good. Even though on that particular book, there were a lot of "she said, he said dialogue, which got annoying at first, but you learned to live with it :)

Figbiscuit
09-03-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys. What do you all play them through? Just smart phones?

I can't be signing myself up to an Audible subscription at the moment, although I didn't know you could just buy their books.