PDA

View Full Version : BS's new blogpost, names TL! ;)

Mort
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Dragon*Con was awesome. I was so busy the entire time that I barely had time to think, but I have to say that the Wheel of Time fans are just about the coolest people ever. I loved hanging out with all the folks from Tar Valon.net, Dragonmount, Theoryland, and the rest of you. (I know that there were others.) Also, those of you who killed me during the game of Who's a Darkfriend are going to pay some day.
I'd never been to Dragon*Con before, and it was...well, it was what I'd always thought a Con would be before I started attending other ones. Costumes, craziness, lots of paneling and things to do, and a whole ton of fun. High points for me were the WoT costume contest, dinner with Melissa and the group from Tar Valon, my reading (which was WAY better attended than my Worldcon one), and an extremely relaxing and engaging dinner spent chatting with Pat Rothfuss.
I've got a lot of Updates for you below, so stay with me. I think there's something here for everyone: A WoT update, a Mistborn link, and a really cool Elantris link. So read on!
First up, for Mistborn readers, Pat's Fantasy Hotlist is giving away free copies of Mistborn 3 (http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2008/08/win-copy-of-brandon-sandersons-hero-of.html). I don't know if these are ARCs or Hardcovers, but I think that he will be sending the copies to the winners once the book is out in stores.
For you WoT fans who couldn't see me at Dragon*Con or Worldcon, my good friend Ookla (Peter Ahlstrom) did this excellent write up of the Wrapping Up the Wheel of Time panel from Worldcon (http://peterahlstrom.blogspot.com/2008/08/rolling-up-wheel-of-time-panel.html). There's a lot of good information here.
Finally, perhaps the most exciting to me, is something for you Elantris readers: Amazon's exclusive rights to "Hope of Elantris" (the short story I wrote in the Elantris world) ran out yesterday. So I've posted it on my website for you all to read (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/32/Elantris-The-Hope-of-Elantris). Those of you who bought it on Amazon have my thanks; you actually pushed me to being a #1 Amazon best seller for a week or so, which was kind of cool. We wanted to offer this to Amazon because they had asked, and we figured it couldn't be bad to earn some good will. However, I always intended to put it on my website eventually.
To add something new, I've done an extended annotation of the short story. You'll find the annotation at the end; if you've already read the story, you'll probably find this annotation quite interesting.
Finally, I want to mention something that is cool beyond description. When I was out in Charleston last time, Robert Jordan's cousin (who was as close to him as a brother) walked in. Many of you may know Wilson from his blog posts over at Dragonmount, speaking about Mr. Jordan and the Wheel of Time. Well, he was out at Harriet's this time, and I had the privilege of meeting him. (And we use that phrase like a cliche, but I think case, I mean it sincerely. Meeting Wilson WAS a privilege. He is an engaging, interesting person with genuine sense of nobility about him.) Anyway, near the end of my stay, he told me that he felt I should have something of Mr. Jordan's and told me to go out into the armory and pick out a piece--any piece--that I wanted, and he'd ship it too me.
I'm certain you can imagine just how I felt at getting this honor. If you aren't aware, Mr. Jordan's armory was enormous. He collected the weapons as research for how to write descriptions and usage in his books. They were part of the process, part of what made the Wheel of Time turn out like it did. I think his attention to detail on these kinds of things is part of what made the books so great.
I'm going to wait to post about the sword I chose, since I'm having it cleaned and mounted, and would rather show final pictures of it. However, Wilson has put up some other pieces of the armory on ebay for sale (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/gkitchens_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ). I wanted to alert you all of this fact, as I think some of you might be interested in the pieces. Also, here's Wilson's blog post about the armory (http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=121), if you haven't seen it.

Theoryland is mentioned! :)

Is anyone seriously thinking of maybe buying a sword or something? I'm thinking they will be PRICEY.

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Awesome. :D

Davian93
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
To Brandon,

If you are reading this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let any more possible spoilers slip out. I've been reading this series for over 15 years and I really don't want it wrecked...even inconsequential parts being revealed before the fact would suck. So please please please no more spoilers.

Sincerely,

Dav.

Mort
09-02-2008, 06:51 PM
To Brandon

Please refrain from listening to anything Dav says. Give us more! :D

/joke deactivated

Has Isabel or Hopper told anyone else about what they heard or are they keeping their mouths shut?

What would it take for one of you to spill the beans?

Davian93
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Why, why, why would you want it ruined?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Gotta agree with Dav. Usually I love spoilers, but this series has exhausted me so much that I'd be offended if he told us anything else of what's coming.

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I hate spoilers in anything; books, TV, movies. I can't abide people who read the end of the book first. :D

Mort
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Why, why, why would you want it ruined?

Because the irony would be too great to survive, mentally and then a little later when the body catches on, physically. :D

Talk about killer irony!

Or maybe I'm just stalling sleep and make shit up. You pick one :)

Ozymandias
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I've been curious as to how RJ afforded all those weapons. Its a bit prosaic, but the life of an author, especially pre-WoT for him, isn't exactly a high paying one, especially when your big checks are coming in lumps separated by when you publish. How does he afford what seems like hundreds of fairly expensive weapons? I mean, buying a decent sword should run you like 250-500 bucks (USD). Havign 70 swords is thousands of dollars, and if they were such a vital part of his writing process, he's had them for a while... before he became (I'm sure) fairly wealthy from WoT proceeds.

Hmm... maybe I'm just too money-minded. GO SWORDS!!!!

Terez
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
lol...RJ made millions on WoT, and Harriet is a TOR exec, with old family money too I think...

Ozymandias
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
lol...RJ made millions on WoT, and Harriet is a TOR exec, with old family money too I think...

Ah well after WoT, or at least once it was established, I coud understand, but before that? But the old family money and Harriet's job explain it.

It just seems a little strange to have 40 grand in weapons hanging on the wall when his annual income in the 80s and 90s couldn't have been that high. But with the other explanations, it makes sense

Birgitte
09-03-2008, 01:34 AM
He had a job before that, didn't he? I wanna say a physicist?

Terez
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Yeah, he wasn't so broke that he couldn't afford a collection hobby or two, that's for sure (he collected pipes as well, and perhaps other stuff for all I know).

I think he didn't marry Harriet till after the series got going. And I really don't know if Harriet has old family money - she has an old family house, and usually in the South that means old family money, but not always.

Hopper
09-03-2008, 06:43 AM
I love the fact that nobody even considered that Isabel and I were just messing with you all. Brandon didn't let anything slip other than the fact that some of Jordan's notes about the last battle could be interpreted as contradictory. He gave NO indication of what those notes said.

Gotcha :D

Davian93
09-03-2008, 07:03 AM
I love the fact that nobody even considered that Isabel and I were just messing with you all. Brandon didn't let anything slip other than the fact that some of Jordan's notes about the last battle could be interpreted as contradictory. He gave NO indication of what those notes said.

Gotcha :D

Bad Wolf!!! BAD!!!

Isabel
09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Thursday I will give some more info :) it's a fun quote. but my plane is leaving today ;)

BS would never spoil anything and i wouldn't ask. Wouldn't posted this joke if Hopper wasn't there.

BS mentioned Theoryland, because I was there :P

Brita
09-03-2008, 08:52 AM
LOL! :D You guys are evil! Evil geniuses that is! :D LOL!

Hopper
09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Thursday I will give some more info :) it's a fun quote. but my plane is leaving today ;)

BS would never spoil anything and i wouldn't ask. Wouldn't posted this joke if Hopper wasn't there.

BS mentioned Theoryland, because I was there :P

That's true, I had to convince her to post the joke, but it didn't take all that much to have her laughing hysterically over it. Yes, we ARE evil.

Terez
09-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh come on, you know they're lying. :D

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
That is my first impression as well, trying to tide things over. :D

GonzoTheGreat
09-03-2008, 09:24 AM
It is obvious to the most casual reader.

Terez
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
That is my first impression as well, trying to tide things over. :D
You mean smooth things over? Cover things over? :p

Brita
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Ah well, it is better for all involved to believe them.

So I choose to believe them :D

John Snow
09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Theoryland is mentioned! :)

Is anyone seriously thinking of maybe buying a sword or something? I'm thinking they will be PRICEY.

Already have enough swords and assorted other weaponry....need a horse, though.

John Snow
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Ah well after WoT, or at least once it was established, I coud understand, but before that? But the old family money and Harriet's job explain it.

It just seems a little strange to have 40 grand in weapons hanging on the wall when his annual income in the 80s and 90s couldn't have been that high. But with the other explanations, it makes sense

Conan the Barbarian books IIRC

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
You mean smooth things over? Cover things over? :p
No, I didn't. :D You know what tide is, right, the laundry deterant stuff? Or do they not have that in your part of the country? :D

Marie Curie 7
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, he wasn't so broke that he couldn't afford a collection hobby or two, that's for sure (he collected pipes as well, and perhaps other stuff for all I know).

I think he didn't marry Harriet till after the series got going. And I really don't know if Harriet has old family money - she has an old family house, and usually in the South that means old family money, but not always.

More info about Harriet is in the recent thread about the World SF Convention that M_2K posted (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=724). I found parts of it pretty interesting, particularly some of the bits about Harriet because I had never heard them before.

For example, yes, Harriet has old money:

Soon after this, though, Harriet's parents died and she inherited the family house in downtown Charleston--with a 500-square-foot walled garden, a gardener, a maid, and a cook who had been with the family for years. "Harriet is a Southern Princess," Tom says. Harriet was divorced and wanted to go home to Charleston to raise her son. Tom didn't want to lose her as an editor, so Popham Press was created. Harriet acquired and edited books down in Charleston, and production and marketing were done by Ace under a profit-sharing agreement. "It was telecommuting before the word was invented," Tom says.

It doesn't really say whether they were married before or after WoT was first published, though.

Terez
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
No, I didn't. :D You know what tide is, right, the laundry deterant stuff? Or do they not have that in your part of the country? :D
lol...yes but that is not what you tried to mean and you know it. :p

Terez
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Conan the Barbarian books IIRC
He also wrote historical fiction ("The Fallon Blood" etc.) but neither than nor the Conan books did all that well.

pops taer
09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Seems to me that considering that Hopper and Isabel are pulling all our legs in one direction or the other, we need to punish them appropriately!!!

I suggest spanking Isabel and shaving Hopper!!!!!!!!!

Birgitte
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Ugh... Those Fallon books were awful. Historical smut novels.

Terez
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Kinda like Anne Rice? :D

Birgitte
09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Never read Anne Rice, so I can't say. I'm guessing not too far off. lol

Terez
09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I like Anne Rice....sometimes her way of wording things annoys me (such as her emo philosophical dialogue and her obsession with the word "fresh") but I liked most of her books. :D

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
lol...yes but that is not what you tried to mean and you know it. :p
Don't try to question my intentions. Geesh, trying to tide over the truth like that... I thought you were above that, Terez, I really did. :D

tanaww
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I liked the Mayfair Witches series. That was good.