PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

JSUCamel
09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Google released a beta version of its new web browser today. Check it out, it's actually not too bad at all.

www.google.com/chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome)

Terez
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Eh, Windows only...

ShadowbaneX
09-02-2008, 08:37 PM
meh I think I'll stay with Sea Monkey.

Mort
09-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I might check it out later, but not now. I'll let it stew for awhile.

jimmyhilltoo
09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I was looking at this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/ earlier.

I think maybe I'll give it a miss ;)

Anaiya Sedai
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I actually quite like it.. apart from that it doesn't support my firefox scripts. :S

Realnow
09-03-2008, 01:20 PM
The dynamic tabs are the one thing IE doesn't have that bothers me, so an IE-clone++ will satisfy me I think. I can't download it at work, but I'll let you guys know how it is.

JSUCamel
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Another thing that Chrome has that other browsers don't is a completely rebuilt JavaScript core. It was rebuilt from scratch. In other words, it's faster. Much faster.

Pick a site that has a lot of javascript stuff (like newsgrounds.com or whatever that Flash site is) and load it up in Firefox/IE and then load it up in Chrome, and you'll see that it loads much faster in Chrome.

I quite like Chrome. I'll probably start using it for my personal browsing and use Firefox for my web dev stuff.

Mort
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services.

What services would that be? Gmail? Picasa? If that's the case, then it's not a license for Chrome specifically but a license for any services provided by Google generally. Why havn't we heard about this until now in that case?

And if it is only through Chrome they have this license to steal other peoples copyrights, how would they know that you were using Chrome when uploading material to the web and so forth?

Goldeneyes
09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Google finally made a browser, huh? I've been using firefox for a while now and love the extensions. When Google Chrome gets popular enough to get extensions and stuff, i'll consider using it for personal browsing. As for work, I guess that's another browser I need to test on...

jimmyhilltoo
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
[/I]What services would that be? Gmail? Picasa? If that's the case, then it's not a license for Chrome specifically but a license for any services provided by Google generally. Why havn't we heard about this until now in that case?

And if it is only through Chrome they have this license to steal other peoples copyrights, how would they know that you were using Chrome when uploading material to the web and so forth?

I know that websites can tell what browser you use, maybe they can keep a record of who has used Chrome. Or the other option is that the program takes a note of everything you've done and sends it to Google.

Mort
09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Just found out that they are gonna remove the little tidbit of text in the license. The mob wins!

JSUCamel
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Just found out that they are gonna remove the little tidbit of text in the license. The mob wins!

From what I understand, some goon at Google basically copied the EULA from one of their other services and only replaced the service name with Google Chrome instead of actually rewriting it to fit the particular browser.

Also, as far as Google Chrome and gathering of information, there's an option in the menu for "incognito browsing", which hides all information that can personally identify you (except IP address and a few other mandatory things). Even from Google.

Matoyak
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Dammit, you beat me to it. Augh.

Anyways, so far Chrome is about 4 times faster than Firefox, but lacks extensions. I do like the incognito browsing, good idea. I wouldn't call it a IE7 ripoff, I'd call it the baby of Google, Firefox and IE7. AKA, it's got a bad history, an abusive parent, and some issues behind the scenes, but is overall mostly a pretty nice, curteous person.

Also, I didn't know you could resize the quick reply box. Or is that a Chrome feature? If it isn't, good feature of vBulletin, if it is, good feature of Chrome. Also, the tabs are awesome. if you use LOTS of tabs, it is quite nice. (by lots, I mean around 10-20ish.

Another problem or two (For me personally) is the way it does it's bookmarks. Still gotta figure that one out. (like, how to organize 'em better...it just imported my FF ones as it is now. Placed them weirdly in the bmtoolbar (I don't like toolbars)) The only other problems I've found in very little testing is that if you close the last tab, it closes the program (which is not as major a setback as you might expect...the program is FAST...really really fast to load both webpages and the program itself. Even with a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 Sincle-core processor and 256 MB sRAM computer, it loads in no time flat.). Also, I'm used to being able to arrange the icons how I want them.

Overall, with very little use, I give it a cautious 7/10 (IE7 = 5.5/10, IE6 = Phail, FF = 9/10)

JSUCamel
09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
The resize of textbox is actually a feature used in Safari and (I believe) Opera. Google is based on Webkit, which I believe also supports textbox resizing.

Firefox should have included that feature in FF3. I'm holding out for FF3.5