PDA

View Full Version : Aludra stole her idea!

Landro
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm rereading tGH and it occured to me that, while in Cairhien waiting for Ingtar, when Rand aimed the fireworks at one of the trollocs, he was probably the first person since the breaking to use gunpower for a military purpose. (This mirrors the Chinese who used fireworks to scare away bad spirits long before anybody though of using it for war.)

The irony is that Rand didn't know of Aludra's existence and neither was Aludra aware of Rand. As of tGS, Aludra and Rand still haven't met and while Aludra probably has no idea it was Rand who planted the idea, she did name her cannon after him.

WinespringBrother
11-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Rand certainly didn't follow through on his idea though, and Aludra did, in a big way, so I don't think what she accomplished is diminished in any way. At least Mat saw the potential in it, using the gift of fireworks to try to create a distraction in Tear and discovering a nice use for them.

ShadowbaneX
11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the idea of hurling materials that explode when they hit the enemy has been around for quite a while. See: the Aes Sedai.

GonzoTheGreat
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the idea of hurling materials that explode when they hit the enemy has been around for quite a while. See: the Aes Sedai.
Yeah, if even they've caught on to it, then it isn't a really entirely new idea.

The idea which Aludra had, and that is new, is to use firework technology to build custom made "enemy killing devices".
Rand had the idea of using a bit of fireworks he happened to find for that purpose, but that is not quite the same. About the difference between a chimpanzee picking up a bit of rock to wack on a tough nut, and a sword smith crafting a steel masterpiece. Where in that scheme we, who tend to buy ready made box cutters and such in shops, fit, I'll leave as an exercise for the readers.

Zombie Sammael
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm rereading tGH and it occured to me that, while in Cairhien waiting for Ingtar, when Rand aimed the fireworks at one of the trollocs, he was probably the first person since the breaking to use gunpower for a military purpose. (This mirrors the Chinese who used fireworks to scare away bad spirits long before anybody though of using it for war.)

The irony is that Rand didn't know of Aludra's existence and neither was Aludra aware of Rand. As of tGS, Aludra and Rand still haven't met and while Aludra probably has no idea it was Rand who planted the idea, she did name her cannon after him.

(emphasis mine)

There is a strong implication that gunpowder wasn't really used in this way even before the Breaking, i.e. during the AOL. The suggestion seems to be that as warfare was rediscovered, melee combat was discovered first, then One Power combat. Given the much higher levels of Aes Sedai of both genders during the AOL, gunpowder would have been rather redundant. Given the relatively low levels today, it's highly significant. ;)

Davian93
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
That's probably because Shocklances were likely some sort of directed energy weapon powered by the OP...based on the name and the one usage we've seen of a shocklance so far in the series where it was on the stun setting (Elayne capture/rescue sequence #4,203,022).