PDA

View Full Version : Texas Woman Shoots Intruder with His Gun

Davian93
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, not really. Her husband actually shot the intruders but don't let that fact get in the way of a good sensationalist headline by Fauxnews. Still havent people learned not to break into homes in Texas...the odds are against you on a good day.

Texas Woman Kills Home Intruder With His Own Gun
Thursday , September 04, 2008

ADVERTISEMENTBLUE MOUND, Texas

When two gunmen smashed through the glass front door of her suburban Fort Worth home, Kellie Hoehn didn't think twice.

The 34-year-old mother of two grabbed a shotgun that had been pointed at her face early Wednesday, starting a struggle that ended with one intruder killed with his own weapon and another in the hospital.

"I wasn't going to let them get to my babies," she said, recalling the moment when she pushed up the muzzle of the shotgun, pointing it away from her children's rooms.

Although the intruders told her to keep quiet, she screamed for her husband. She told her 12-year-old son, who was awakened by the sound of the shattering glass front door, to get his 5-year-old sister and hide.

"It was like a horror movie," her husband, 32-year-old Keith Hoehn, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I thought I was a dead man. We're fighting for our lives."

With Kellie Hoehn clinging to the weapon's muzzle, her husband tackled the man who held the shotgun. She knocked the intruder in the head with a jar candle, giving her husband a chance to wrest the shotgun.

By then the tussle had spilled out onto the front lawn. Keith Hoehn shot one of the men who had a pistol, police said. Wounded, that man ran away.

Then the intruder who initially had the shotgun charged Keith Hoehn.

Kellie Hoehn told The Dallas Morning News that she screamed at her husband, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him."

Her husband fired the shotgun and the man fell to the ground. Then the shot man lunged a second time.

"Well, I shot him again, and I guess that was it," Keith Hoehn said.
Dakota Scott Benoit, 20, of Richland Hills, was pronounced dead at a hospital. John Garland Pierson, 25, of Haltom City, was in critical condition and in police custody at the hospital.

"I am not happy that someone is dead," Kellie Hoehn said. "But I am glad that my family is alive."

Police said Pierson was shot in the left arm and the bullet pierced his diaphragm and other organs but his condition was improving. He will face charges of burglary of habitation with intent to commit another felony, police said.

Investigators say the couple were just defending their family and probably won't be charged.

Realnow
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
This is called murder, I'm fairly sure. Unarmed man shot twice with a shot gun? lol@texas

Gilshalos Sedai
Ah, it's north of Fort Worth. Explains why it wasn't on the news here.

This is called murder, I'm fairly sure. Unarmed man shot twice with a shot gun? lol@texas

Um, what??

Brita
Woohoo! Good for them. Hopefully the kids didn't see too much though.

Davian93
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
It ain't murder if they started it by breaking in armed...some folk just need killin'.

Realnow
09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Ah, it's north of Fort Worth. Explains why it wasn't on the news here.

Um, what??

Um, its called excessive force. When someone is unarmed, they are not enough of a threat to warrant murder. Thats how the rest of the world would see that, I'm fairly sure.

And about the whole "lunged again" thing. Thats great when the only witnesses are the murderers.

In Canada if you shoot someone multiple times with a shotgun you can bet on getting charged.

Terez
09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, in most places in the US, if someone breaks into your house, they're fair game. I don't see how that's not fair, really...I wouldn't want to kill anyone but you can hardly expect people in that sort of situation to act rationally and shoot to wound...

Brita
09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Pfff- realnow, if that was me, there is no way I'm taking a chance that he'll grab the gun back with my kids in the house. None. If he did indeed lunge again, I'd shoot without hesitation. Was he shot in the back? I doubt it. Then that would be murder since he was obviously trying to flee. Anything else and I take the word of the family.

I'd take a murder charge if necessary- but I don't think it would stick, even in Canada.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Especially when shooting to wound didn't work the first time.

Davian93
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
At least he didn't make the guy put his mouth on the curb...

Realnow
09-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Well, in most places in the US, if someone breaks into your house, they're fair game. I don't see how that's not fair, really...I wouldn't want to kill anyone but you can hardly expect people in that sort of situation to act rationally and shoot to wound...

I realize how people think in the USA. In Canada killing people is less patriotic.

And especially if you already overpowered the opponent and disarmed them. Clearly they are no threat at this point, and after being shot once even more so. I suppose the heat of the moment..but if you believe their story 100% thats kind of gullible isn't it?

Terez
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
lol...no one said we believed their story 100%. Just that their story isn't relevant - the guys broke into their house.

Realnow
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
lol...no one said we believed their story 100%. Just that their story isn't relevant - the guys broke into their house.

Ok then, so as soon as someone steps in the door..fair game? That is more hilarious than if you did believe the story...glad I'm Canadian :rolleyes:

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Um... they got the gun by wrestling it away from the guy in the first place. I wouldn't take a chance on it happening again, especially since the jackass CHARGED them.

You're right, they may be lying to cover their asses, but if the forensics didn't support their story, they would have BEEN charged.

Brita
09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I realize how people think in the USA. In Canada killing people is less patriotic.

And especially if you already overpowered the opponent and disarmed them. Clearly they are no threat at this point, and after being shot once even more so. I suppose the heat of the moment..but if you believe their story 100% thats kind of gullible isn't it?

Realnow- I'm Canadian. Read my post again. :)

Davian93
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Once they step in the front door with a weapon its their life...

Man's got a right to protect his castle afterall.

Bryan Blaire
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Realnow, please stay in Canada.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Realnow: Another Canadian said she would have shot the intruders.

I dont' think your nationality is why you feel the way you do, I think it's your moral/ethical standards. Which I'm not saying is bad. I just don't think you should divide it up US vs. Canada...that seems silly to me.

If someone breaks into my house with a gun, I'll fight. If I can get the gun away, I'll use it. Granted if I get the gun and they run, they can keep on running for all I care. If they try to keep fighting, that's another story.

I live in Texas but was raised in Indiana, I dont' think the way I feel about it has anything to do with being a Texan, nor an American.

Ivhon
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, Im as peacenik as the next person.

But if two men break into my house with guns. My house with me, my wife and my kids, and I somehow manage to get hold of ONE of those guns. No way am I not shooting to kill.

Look at the situation again.

2 armed men vs one unarmed man, one unarmed woman and two unarmed minors (who are now removed from the force calculations).

My wife and I get A gun it is still one armed man, one unarmed man vs one armed man and one unarmed woman. The physical odds are still in the intruders' favor.

So I can't afford to play games as the underdog with my family's lives at stake. Im shooting and Im shooting to kill. End of story.

Realnow
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
You guys aren't reading the whole story. He shot one guy, who ran. Then the other unarmed man was shot twice with a shotgun.

Ivhon, the guy he killed was the guy holding the shotgun, so he couldn't of still had it.

Brita, I simul-posted and didn't see your post, sorry. We don't know where he was shot. And if I killed a guy, I sure as hell would say he lunged at me too.

Gil, you really don't think there was a chance of him being charged in Texas do you? With the witnesses, media, police, and near everyone on their side?

I live in Texas but was raised in Indiana, I dont' think the way I feel about it has anything to do with being a Texan, nor an American.

If you don't think Americans and Canadians, or Texans and Canadians feel differently about guns...then I don't even know what to say. Clearly regional culture IS a factor in your beliefs, wherever your from.

And I will stay in Canada, and irk many of you guys who wish you were here :D

Brita
09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Brita, I simul-posted and didn't see your post, sorry.

No problemo- I've been tripped up by the simul-post many times :)

Hopper
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
In that situation where I get the gun away from the criminal, he gets exactly ONE chance to surrender and lie down to wait for the Police. If he does ANYTHING that I consider a threat to my family after that point I'm shooting to kill.

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Pfff- realnow, if that was me, there is no way I'm taking a chance that he'll grab the gun back with my kids in the house. None. If he did indeed lunge again, I'd shoot without hesitation. Was he shot in the back? I doubt it. Then that would be murder since he was obviously trying to flee. Anything else and I take the word of the family.

I'd take a murder charge if necessary- but I don't think it would stick, even in Canada.
As much as I'd think about shooting them in the leg or something, you just can't be that rational or discretionary in such a situation. I don't know that I'd have taken the second shot, but it depends on where I shot him and what the situation looked like. If I had shot him in the chest and he was lunging with difficulty, I'd probably just move back then hit him in the head with the gun.

But who the hell knows? I wasn't there.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
With Kellie Hoehn clinging to the weapon's muzzle, her husband tackled the man who held the shotgun. She knocked the intruder in the head with a jar candle, giving her husband a chance to wrest the shotgun.

By then the tussle had spilled out onto the front lawn. Keith Hoehn shot one of the men who had a pistol, police said. Wounded, that man ran away.

Then the intruder who initially had the shotgun charged Keith Hoehn.

Kellie Hoehn told The Dallas Morning News that she screamed at her husband, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him."

Her husband fired the shotgun and the man fell to the ground. Then the shot man lunged a second time.

OK, this guy was hit in the head with a 5# solid wax and glass candle. Shot once. Still got up to KEEP FIGHTING. Yeah, he wasn't determined.

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
OK, this guy was hit in the head with a 5# solid wax and glass candle. Shot once. Still got up to KEEP FIGHTING. Yeah, he wasn't determined.
How do you know how heavy the candle was? Maybe it was one of those little 8 oz ones.

:p

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
LOL, doubt it. If it's the kind I have on my kitchen bar, it would cause some serious damage.

Davian93
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
LOL, doubt it. If it's the kind I have on my kitchen bar, it would cause some serious damage.

I'm guessing one of those 22oz Yankee Candles...you know the ones that cost like $25 each...that would hurt.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing one of those 22oz Yankee Candles...you know the ones that cost like $25 each...that would hurt.

That's what I was picturing. I've got a lovely lilac scented one on my desk! :)

Davian93
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
That's what I was picturing. I've got a lovely lilac scented one on my desk! :)

We have several of them scattered throughout the house...including the lilac one. My favorite is the Stormwatch one.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I'll have to smell stormwatch next time I'm at the mall. I love the smell of rain. Or rather, the smell just before and just after the rain starts. :)

Sinistrum
09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
You guys aren't reading the whole story. He shot one guy, who ran. Then the other unarmed man was shot twice with a shotgun.

And you're just ignorant of the law here Real that makes your claim of murder extremely foolish. In this situation, there is no such thing as excessive force. Texas, and many other states, have a legal presumption that someone breaking into your home automatically intends to cause you serious bodily harm or death (the traditional common law standards that justify use of deadly force in response). Thus, legally, their actions are not murder but justifiable homocide as self defense.

Furthermore, it is you who isn't reading the whole article.

The progession of events was guy gets shot and then he runs, so no, the husband wasn't shooting someone running away. Furthermore and as has already been mentioned...

He lunged a second time, which is a clear indication that he still presented a threat. Of course you can always respond with inane crap like this.

I suppose the heat of the moment..but if you believe their story 100% thats kind of gullible isn't it?

But there are two problems with this. First off, as the first thing I quoted you about indicates, you yourself are basing your arguments upon the story. Seems to me like you are just picking and choosing which facts to believe and which facts not based upon which ones are more convenient to your argument. Kind of makes you doubting the facts in it seem more than a little inconsistant of you. Secondly, as Gilly already pointed out, if there were flaws in the story as it was presented, the forensic pathology on the crime scene would discover them fairly quickly and if you think a journalist wouldn't jump at the chance to publish a story like that, it is you who is being gullible. Or perhaps we can make this tin foil hat time and it is all a conspiracy between the press, the police, and the family to execute these poor wittle wobbers.

you really don't think there was a chance of him being charged in Texas do you? With the witnesses, media, police, and near everyone on their side?

Oops. Too late.

That is more hilarious than if you did believe the story...glad I'm Canadian

And just why is that Real? Are you breaking into other people's homes? Because that is really the only situation in which I could see someone being grateful that a similar law doesn't apply in their jurisdiction.

Davian93
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Secondly, as Gilly already pointed out,

LOL...I wonder how hard it hard it is to castrate a lizard...I'm sure Gil will show us shortly.

~sits on ESC couch~

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 12:43 PM
ok, Realnow, stop it right here.

Guns and Theoryland do not mix. You well and truely do not know what you're getting into here. Take it from, I've been here for a very long time and I've seen everything...at least twice. Do not debate Gun Control Policy on Theoryland. It will end up with an epic flame war and you probably leaving the boards.

Bryan Blaire
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM
So it is murder any time one or two people take action against another human (human being defined by having chromosomes that make you genetically defined as a human, as opposed to another kind or primate, or a tree), Real?

I'm asking because you seem to feel pretty strongly about one human taking another human's life...

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
So it is murder any time one or two people take action against another human (human being defined by having chromosomes that make you genetically defined as a human, as opposed to another kind or primate, or a tree), Real?

I'm asking because you seem to feel pretty strongly about one human taking another human's life...
Waitaminute...

Am I having deja vu?

Didn't we just debate this when that guy killed the other guy on the Canadian bus?

That thread didn't end well.

Bryan Blaire
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I just want people to evaluate their stances utilizing the same logic and facts for all of them, rather than seeming to cherry pick under which circumstances those logical paths and facts are allowed to apply, etc.

Frenzy
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Great, now i have that Ice Cube song stuck in my head. Though it's teh Rage Against the Machine version. And i want to hit Sinistrum.

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Great, now i have that Ice Cube song stuck in my head. Though it's teh Rage Against the Machine version. And i want to hit Sinistrum.
and this is bad why?

Birgitte
09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Dude... It spilled out into their front lawn. Out into the public where all their neighbors could see and certainly did (people are all naturally nosy to some extent. I don't know anyone who isn't gonna be looking out the window if they hear a gun go off). I think at that point lying about what happened is definitely going to get you into trouble. If the guy hadn't lunged at him, like you seem to be implying, everyone home in that neighborhood at the time would've seen. And there's no way they're good enough friends with everyone in their neighborhood that everyone will lie to the police for them. Especially since its likely that the police went to talk to them before they had any idea what was going on.

And if I just took a gun from somebody and they are still trying to attack me, there is no way I'm taking the chance that they'll get that gun back. I somehow don't see them as just taking it back and leaving. Call me crazy.

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
who are you responding to Huntress?

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Crazy! ;)

(but not for that post!)

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Nah, Sini's allowed to call me "Gilly."

He's on The List.

Birgitte
09-05-2008, 01:46 PM
SBX... lol... RealNow (who I really want to call Pinocchio... "I'm a real boy!")

And thanks, Cary :D lol

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
ok, just checking.

And, yeah, I'm going to have to ask for clemency for Realnow on this subject. He's new and doesn't know the reactions that gun control threads have on this website. Give him a chance to live and learn instead of frying him on this oen.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
~taps fingers on desk~ He's got two hours head start.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
ok, just checking.

And, yeah, I'm going to have to ask for clemency for Realnow on this subject. He's new and doesn't know the reactions that gun control threads have on this website. Give him a chance to live and learn instead of frying him on this oen.

How else is he supposed to learn? Plus, no offense meant, this is not a discussion about gun control.

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
How else is he supposed to learn? Plus, no offense meant, this is not a discussion about gun control.

Yes it is.

(See what I did there?)

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Trust me Cary, unless something is done, it's about to be and the results will be messy.

~taps fingers on desk~ He's got two hours head start.

I'll take what I can get. Best I can do Real, run while you can.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I see! ~pinches~

Of course, we could say it IS about gun control, because certain parties were in control of the gun (i.e. possesion), then control of the gun switched to different parties....

nah... ~pinches Crispy again~ :p

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Trust me Cary, unless something is done, it's about to be and the results will be messy.

Too late! See what Crispy did?

Yes it is.

Run Pinocchio, run! (Sorry it's catchy!) :D

Brita
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Uh oh- I sense a new (and perhaps unwanted) nickname!

Birgitte
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
It's not meant to be mean... I was just thinking about what his nick could be a reference to and got stuck on Pinocchio. If he doesn't like it, I won't call him that, but if he doesn't mind... it IS fun. Anyway, SBX, I'm not gonna flame anyone. I just don't understand why he thinks that the story is false. I can totally see why he's against shooting the guy. I mean, it is possible that all the robber wanted was to get the gun so he would leave less evidence behind. I wouldn't trust that, but if that's the way he feels, it is a mostly emotional issue.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Wel, it fits because mentally, I keep wanting to turn "Realnow" into "RealBoy."

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I wasn't thinking of you specifically B, but I know that there are some other posters around here who like nothing better then to watch the flames climb, and mentioning that guns are bad, or that someone who defended themselves crossed the line is like tossing a match into a room full of gas fumes for TL.

The Canadian perspective is essentially that "guns are bad" whereas the US is that "guns are good" AND NO, I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THIS RIGHT NOW, I'M JUST EXPLAINING SOMETHING HERE. When these two things meet up, both sides thinking they're right, well, match, room, gas fumes, etc.

If Realnow had come back in here and continued going on about how the person had gone too far, there would have been fire, perhaps not from you, but some someone (quite possibly several someones).

It's happened at least twice that I can remember (and my memory is crap, so that probably means half a dozen times) at Theoryland. It's best to just turn around and walk away.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 03:08 PM
The Canadian perspective is essentially that "guns are bad" whereas the US is that "guns are good" AND NO, I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THIS RIGHT NOW, I'M JUST EXPLAINING SOMETHING HERE.

You know how tempting that is, right? :D I'm having a really hard time not saying anything. I'm not going to say anything, but I'm thinking it!

I personally have not been part of that kind of flamewar. :p

Davian93
09-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I personally have not been part of that kind of flamewar.

Gun Control
Abortion
Gay Marriage
Iraq
Asmodean...

Take your pick and lets all have at it.

Cary Sedai
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Gun Control
Abortion
Gay Marriage
Iraq
Asmodean...

Take your pick and lets all have at it.

Pro choice for the first two, keeping my mouth shut on the third!

And Moiraine killed Asmodean, with Verin's help, of course! :p

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro choice for the first two, keeping my mouth shut on the third!

And Moiraine killed Asmodean, with Verin's help, of course! :p

Gun Control
Abortion
Gay Marriage
Iraq
Asmodean...

Here's what we do. We send all the illegal guns to Iraq in the hands of gay marriage opponents. At that point the rest of us will be brainwashed by the gay marriage proponents into becoming gay, so abortion will become a non-issue.

As for Asmodean, it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that Graendal did it. With one of her Compelled servants. Then she killed Asmo.

Frenzy
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
~Shoots Davian with an aborted gay iraqi for mentioning Asmo~ :p

Hey, wasn't it a Canadian git named Assmo who went all to pieces about gun control and america's psychopathic love of guns? So now the circle is complete.

Terez
09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
New theory: Pinocchio=Assmo

Davian93
09-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Hey, wasn't it a Canadian git named Assmo who went all to pieces about gun control and america's psychopathic love of guns? So now the circle is complete.

...And peace resounded throughout the realm of Theoryland. The circle completed made friends of rivals, ending dissent on all issues...thus beginning a new age of cooperation and universal brother/sisterhood. :)

Terez
09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Sounds....boring. :p

Davian93
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Sounds....boring. :p

I know, right.

Oh congrats on your 2,000th post.

Terez
09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
If you weren't MPD you'd have over 2000 too. :p

Davian93
09-05-2008, 06:47 PM
If you weren't MPD you'd have over 2000 too. :p

Very True...I'd have 2,157 posts if I ever merged. I have 784 with my Spammer personality and 1373 with this one.

Crispin's Crispian
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM

God damn genius. Frenzy, you rock.

Frenzy
09-06-2008, 12:11 AM
God damn genius. Frenzy, you rock.
Ah, how sweet of ye to say so, me boyo. :D

Mort
09-06-2008, 04:46 AM
At least he didn't make the guy put his mouth on the curb...

Good movie that. One of the most unpleasant scenes ever too. Hearing teeth touching curb isn't one of my favs after that one *shudder*

I'm not gonna debate gun control or wether or not it was murder or not. I am gonna ask this though: How the HELL do you get up and go after someone after being shot with a shotgun??? The first shot can't have hit very good, graced a shoulder maybe.

Cary Sedai
09-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not gonna debate gun control or wether or not it was murder or not. I am gonna ask this though: How the HELL do you get up and go after someone after being shot with a shotgun??? The first shot can't have hit very good, graced a shoulder maybe.

The report doesn't say so, and they usually like to condemn drugs whenever they get a chance, but he could have been on drugs. Or could have been plain old adrenaline. I would assume that you have to get up the nerve to rob someone with guns (if not on drugs, possibly even then), and when things go wrong, you would do whatever you could to turn it back around. Also the possibility of prison or death, would jack up your adrenaline.

Frenzy
09-06-2008, 10:08 PM
and this is bad why?
No, not bad. i've been spanking that lizard for years.

that didn't come out right...

Sinistrum
09-06-2008, 11:39 PM
GIGGITY!

Davian93
09-08-2008, 06:16 AM
The report doesn't say so, and they usually like to condemn drugs whenever they get a chance, but he could have been on drugs. Or could have been plain old adrenaline. I would assume that you have to get up the nerve to rob someone with guns (if not on drugs, possibly even then), and when things go wrong, you would do whatever you could to turn it back around. Also the possibility of prison or death, would jack up your adrenaline.

Maybe it was loaded with birdshot...or it could have been a glancing blow...or drugs...or adrenaline as mentioned above...I'm guessing a combination of a couple of those possibilities.