PDA

View Full Version : Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

Davian93
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

I guess they're not familiar with the concept of fact checkers in Alaska. Seriously Sarah, unlike the local hockey arena, you can't just pull stories out of your ass on national TV and not expect it to get checked for truthiness.

Terez
09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
It's still not quite as bad as the sniper fire...

Davian93
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
It's still not quite as bad as the sniper fire...

This is true...she still sucks though.

Ozymandias
09-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Sadly, none of this matters to the average voter.

Hopefully she drives away the crucial middle of the road vote who see her for the showboating nobody of a pick she is.

Its insane that McCain went to some unknown in order to avoid these kinds of problems, and now they're biting him in the ass all over.

psychomusician
09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
this is nothing like the snipers. what palin said was true, she put it on ebay. she never said she sold it on ebay, did she? hillary flat out lied, there were never any snipers on that trip. so i really dont see why you're gloating so much

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree with psycho. Not a big deal at all, shouldn't affect anyone's vote or thinking about her.

Birgitte
09-06-2008, 12:47 AM
His former shiny-ness has a point. Even if she did flat out say she sold it through ebay, what's it matter? She did put it on there. She did end up selling it. Does it really make a difference if she sold it through ebay or a private broker? Honestly, I can't stand the woman anyway, but I don't see simplifying the story as a real huge deal. It isn't as if she's telling people she sold it on ebay when she really kept it for her private use.

Matoyak
09-06-2008, 01:00 AM
His former shiny-ness has a point. Even if she did flat out say she sold it through ebay, what's it matter? She did put it on there. She did end up selling it. Does it really make a difference if she sold it through ebay or a private broker? Honestly, I can't stand the woman anyway, but I don't see simplifying the story as a real huge deal. It isn't as if she's telling people she sold it on ebay when she really kept it for her private use.
What she said.

But I am curious...where are people getting the notion that she SOLD it on eBay? SHE never said she did, just that the put it on the site. McCain said she sold it on eBay, right? Dumbass. Lol.

Ozymandias
09-06-2008, 02:29 AM

Yeah but its the kind of borderline dishonesty that just seems a little greasy. She's tooting her own horn about selling stuff on eBay, which might resonate with the common voter such as myself, when that might not be true. Its the kind of tale which is kind of funny and comfortable in its familiarity; I sort of feel it resonates more with me when she's like "yep, I sold it on eBay" then when she says "I was incapable of selling it on eBay, so I sold it through private channels."

Plus, she did lie about making money on it.

Also, my first thought was; who the hell is buying a private jet through eBay?!?!? What does it say, "I'll take that 2 million through PayPal, please."

Its just ridiculous to think about.

irerancincpkc
09-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Yep, the lady lied about an experience she had; not shocking in any way; not like she's had much of a chance to have much experience...

And because of her lack of knowledge on... well... everything, she won't be taking any interviews any time soon.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/no_interviews_till_shes_ready.php

A senior McCain campaign official advises that, despite the gaggle of requests and pressure from the media, Gov. Sarah Palin won't submit to a formal interview anytime soon. She may take some questions from local news entities in Alaska, but until she's ready -- and until she's comfortable -- which might not be for a long while -- the media will have to wait. The campaign believes it can effectively deal with the media's complaints, and their on-the-record response to all this will be: "Sarah Palin needs to spend time with the voters."

Not out of the question are appearances on lighter, fluffier television shows. But -- not for a while.

I guess it is going to take her a while to learn some foreign policy; though McCain says she is ready to be President on Day 1. Hmm...

tanaww
09-06-2008, 09:02 AM
All I can say is that I CANNOT WAIT for her to go on The Daily Show or, better yet, The Colbert Report. She needs to take on the hard-nosed media giants of Comedy Central. Since McCain's been on the Daily Show several times, I am very optimistic.

Ivhon
09-06-2008, 09:08 AM
All I can say is that I CANNOT WAIT for her to go on The Daily Show or, better yet, The Colbert Report. She needs to take on the hard-nosed media giants of Comedy Central. Since McCain's been on the Daily Show several times, I am very optimistic.

There is no way she will be allowed to be in a position where she can say something in her own words. Period.

McCain can go on those shows because he, at least, has demonstrated knowledge and some tact. She goes on and it is pretty much guaranteed that she will 1)Make a campaign-killing gaffe or 2) Demonstrate that she, in fact, knows nothing.

No way they let her talk.

EDIT: On topic. I don't care which candidate stretched the truth about selling the plane on E-Bay for a profit when it was sold privately for a loss. The point is that the campaign is working to get mileage out of misinformation and partial truths. And yes, both parties do this, but the Republican strategy we have seen for the last 8 years is NOT changing. That strategy is to lie lie lie until it is too late to change it. And here we go again.

Cary Sedai
09-06-2008, 09:12 AM
There is no way she will be allowed to be in a position where she can say something in her own words. Period.

McCain can go on those shows because he, at least, has demonstrated knowledge and some tact. She goes on and it is pretty much guaranteed that she will 1)Make a campaign-killing gaffe or 2) Demonstrate that she, in fact, knows nothing.

No way they let her talk.

Agreed. I hope the voters realize that's a reason not to vote for her... however after listening to Bush babble for 8 years and claim to just be a bad public speaker.... I don't see that it will make any difference. As a society we love to make excuses for people.

Bryan Blaire
09-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Wait a tick... McCain gets info wrong, and now it is her lie?

Davian, you've done a serious flip to the point of not really looking at and analyzing all the facts yourself. I realize you dislike this woman, but this a tad extreme.

Using this logic, when Biden said that Obama lacked the experience to be President, and that the Presidency doesn't lend itself to on-the-job training, it was really Obama saying it, right? Wasn't that an out-right admission of lack of credentials by Obama himself?

No, it was just Biden being an ass, and trying to win. Obama didn't do anything.

Let's apply issues about misrepresentation, etc, the same way to both sides...

Terez
09-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Right, I was talking about what McCain said, not what Palin said:

"How many saw her speech a couple of nights ago? Wasn't it fabulous?" McCain said Friday during a campaign stop in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. "You know what I enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was purchased by her predecessor and sold it on eBay — and made a profit."
She did sell it on eBay, and she didn't make a profit, so McCain was the one exaggerating, not Palin. But what McCain said still wasn't as bad as the sniper fire...

Davian93
09-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Wait a tick... McCain gets info wrong, and now it is her lie?

Davian, you've done a serious flip to the point of not really looking at and analyzing all the facts yourself. I realize you dislike this woman, but this a tad extreme.

Using this logic, when Biden said that Obama lacked the experience to be President, and that the Presidency doesn't lend itself to on-the-job training, it was really Obama saying it, right? Wasn't that an out-right admission of lack of credentials by Obama himself?

No, it was just Biden being an ass, and trying to win. Obama didn't do anything.

Let's apply issues about misrepresentation, etc, the same way to both sides...

Its not so much a flip. Its just that I'd rather have someone I disagree with in Office than someone I think is completely incompetent and lacks any legit experience. Palin is both of those and McCain is too because he picked her. This was his first major decision as "president" and he F@*#ed up big time in my book.

He took me from a diehard supporter of his to leaning Obama...and I can't stand some of Obama's ideas.

Bryan Blaire
09-08-2008, 07:05 PM
So, find another candidate. Obama is not the only other one, and frankly, I don't believe in voting for people you don't really agree with (which you just admitted).

Davian93
09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
So, find another candidate. Obama is not the only other one, and frankly, I don't believe in voting for people you don't really agree with (which you just admitted).

There are no other candidates. That said I'll likely not vote or throw it away on a 3rd party candidate if there even was one I did agree with. I'm pissed at McCain for his choice as he is PANDERING to disaffected moderate Hillaryites and energizes the base of the party which I don't agree with anyway on many issues. Right now I'm supremely pissed because I really thought McCain would pick a moderate and he went to the far far right AND picked someone with absolutely no experience. She isn't qualified even if she can give a decent speech.

So that said I'm squarely back on the fence and neither side looks inviting.

tanaww
09-08-2008, 07:35 PM
There are no other candidates. ....

I'm offended. Think grassroots effort! Vote TANA!

Sei'taer
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM

Can you scoot over...you're crowding me...it's a big f'in fence and you gotta be right by me.

GonzoTheGreat
09-09-2008, 02:23 AM
That said I'll likely not vote or throw it away on a 3rd party candidate if there even was one I did agree with. I'm pissed at McCain for his choice as he is PANDERING to disaffected moderate Hillaryites and energizes the base of the party which I don't agree with anyway on many issues. Right now I'm supremely pissed because I really thought McCain would pick a moderate and he went to the far far right AND picked someone with absolutely no experience.
But if you do not vote, then the only ones that will be left voting eventually are those extremists. In that case, all the moderates stay at home at elections and have to wait to see which flavor of extremism comes to rule them each time.

On the other hand, if everyone who isn't happy about either of the main candidates actually votes 3rd (or 4th, 5th and so forth) party, then that will send a clear message about how many people are interested in deciding their own future government, but aren't willing to go along with those extremists.
There is of course a chance that such a 3rd party candidate will be elected accidentally. In that case, you might suddenly have president Paris Hilton. Big deal. Whatever else, I don't think that Putin will know quite how to deal with her. If your country is as tough and robust as it makes believe, then it can survive Four Years In Paris. It survived one night already, after all.

Terez
09-09-2008, 02:39 AM
There is of course a chance that such a 3rd party candidate will be elected accidentally. In that case, you might suddenly have president Paris Hilton. Big deal. Whatever else, I don't think that Putin will know quite how to deal with her. If your country is as tough and robust as it makes believe, then it can survive Four Years In Paris. It survived one night already, after all. This is actually what a third party needs, of course, to get going. Not Paris, certainly...but someone with mass appeal. Obama would have been a good third party candidate. Giuliani might have had a chance at it in 2004. Even Ross Perot was showing scary promise in 1992 before he dropped out and jumped back in again.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't consider voting for a third party "throwing my vote away." A vote is a vote.

psychomusician
09-10-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm pissed at McCain for his choice as he is PANDERING to disaffected moderate Hillaryites and energizes the base of the party which I don't agree with anyway on many issues. Right now I'm supremely pissed because I really thought McCain would pick a moderate and he went to the far far right AND picked someone with absolutely no experience. She isn't qualified even if she can give a decent speech.

i personally think palin was a brilliant choice on his part for two reasons. 1. she has just about the same platform as him, so he doesnt have to worry about her disagreeing on key issues. 2. SHE'S A WOMAN, therefore she'll draw a good chunk of the hillary crowd over right off the bat. and so what if its "just pandering" thats what politics is, trying to get as many votes as possible in whatever way possible.

also with the whole experience thing. what do you think is closer to what you do as president, voting on things, or running a state. its kinda like saying that a 10 year all-star football player would be better at moving to baseball then the 3 year cricket all-star. think about it. it makes sense

Gilshalos Sedai
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, she also hands him the Christian Right.