PDA

View Full Version : Looks like something is being released tomorrow (11-19-12).

Res_Ipsa
11-18-2012, 01:24 PM
On my facebook feed:

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/1511/reveal.jpg

New chapter or excerpt?

Cortar
11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Probably the trailer!!

Res_Ipsa
11-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Probably the trailer!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the one for ToM. I did not care for it too much.

Terez
11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
They're not doing a trailer this year; apparently there was an issue with Universal who has the rights to any WoT film of any kind. If it's new material, then it's probably the rest of chapter 11. I'm not sure we can expect it, though.

maacaroni
11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping for a WoT Tote bag like I got for the last book.

It currently holds my gardening implements.

Yes, I garden. Someone has to.

Cortar
11-18-2012, 10:23 PM
They're not doing a trailer this year; apparently there was an issue with Universal who has the rights to any WoT film of any kind. If it's new material, then it's probably the rest of chapter 11. I'm not sure we can expect it, though.

Really? Thats sad :-(

And dumb, why would Universal be against more publicity for a product that they own?

Southpaw2012
11-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Brandon said that Tor was going to announce the AMoL book tour information soon so it's probably that.

Isabel
11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Agreed, i think it's the Tour as well :)

WinespringBrother
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/announcing-memories-of-light-daily-previews-of-a-memory-of-light

Dom
11-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Indeed. The beginning of the book seems fairly short on not too revealing "set up" scenes this time around, and that might exclude the scene(s) after Mat's in chapter 11 (and it already seem likely they skipped Mat's real "intro scene" that might reveal too much when we might expect Moiraine to arrive at Merrilor - on day 2, IMO).

It's gonna be the book tour annoucement today, IMO.

Res_Ipsa
11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/announcing-memories-of-light-daily-previews-of-a-memory-of-light

That is pretty cool, much better than a tour schedule. Can't wait to start getting the emails.

Isabel
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I was wrong. It's a daily hint mailinglist.

Tsofu
11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
They've never done this before have they? Because it strikes me as a bit of overkill/worry. The book will be out in 7 weeks and 1 day (but who's counting) and we've waited before without daily teasers. Just seems weird.

Tsofu

sleepinghour
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
They've never done this before have they? Because it strikes me as a bit of overkill/worry. The book will be out in 7 weeks and 1 day (but who's counting) and we've waited before without daily teasers. Just seems weird.

Think of it from a business perspective: WoT is by far Tor's best selling series, so they're probably anxious not to lose all those readers after AMoL. This is an easy way to get hundreds of new site members who will hopefully continue to follow Tor.com and buy other Tor books after AMoL is out. It also explains why they made people sign up for the hints instead of just posting them on the site.

Terez
11-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Indeed. The beginning of the book seems fairly short on not too revealing "set up" scenes this time around, and that might exclude the scene(s) after Mat's in chapter 11 (and it already seem likely they skipped Mat's real "intro scene" that might reveal too much when we might expect Moiraine to arrive at Merrilor - on day 2, IMO).
I wonder if this is their way of dealing with that little problem—they're actually going to give us more than usual. I still wonder if we'll make it to chapter 11...it may be that we will, since it wouldn't really hurt them to release that much. And they might skip the early Black Tower chapters, if that's possible. Or, it may be that come release day we still don't have a full additional chapter. We'll see.

Dom
11-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I wonder if this is their way of dealing with that little problem—they're actually going to give us more than usual. I still wonder if we'll make it to chapter 11...it may be that we will, since it wouldn't really hurt them to release that much. And they might skip the early Black Tower chapters, if that's possible. Or, it may be that come release day we still don't have a full additional chapter. We'll see.

Not too convinced by the "snippets" idea. :D

Problems with those and getting chapter titles in advance (it's not as bad as long as they don't come with the numbers, though, and as long as they avoid those too easy to puzzle out like The Death of Tuon from TGS) is that runs the chance of being either boring, or what they'll consider "not too revealing" in and of itself might help us connect too many dots, probably not until the 8th, but as we read the actual book.

Oh well, we'll see. In a way my expectations aren't all that high, so I don't care as much as I might otherwise about spoilers.

Dom
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Think of it from a business perspective: WoT is by far Tor's best selling series, so they're probably anxious not to lose all those readers after AMoL.

They do use Tor.com for promotion of Tor products from time to time (their real outlet for this is more the parent McMillan site), but the website is far more aimed at polishing their image as an inescapable name around which SF/Fantasy revolve, the sort of publisher that's so big it doesn't shy from promoting the works of its competitors like Bantam and co (not too be too cynical, there's also a genuine interest from the company to promote maligned genres/sub-genres and build a community. They're pretty light handed at promoting Tor's own stuff on that site).

Rand al'Fain
11-20-2012, 03:12 AM
I'll just wait for the book itself. Don't really want random snippets from all over the book sent in a random order over the next 7 weeks. Do I want to know what happens? Of course. But I want to read it in order, and preferably, no less than a chapter at a time.

Dajoran
11-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Personally, I love this.

I can't wait until it all kicks off.

Promotion and advertisement? I don't really care - this release is the most excited I've been for something since FFVII was announced for the PlayStation.

natasharma
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
anyone got an email from Tor yet? i registered myself yesterday and have been waiting for it...

WinespringBrother
11-27-2012, 08:08 AM
anyone got an email from Tor yet? i registered myself yesterday and have been waiting for it...

I haven't gotten an email yet. You can view the snippets in the spoiler thread though.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/spoiler-thread-for-the-memories-of-light

Artur pendragon
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Still haven't got a email from tor and from the comments on their page there are alot that haven't:(

Terez
11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you read Irene's comment? If you have previously unsubscribed from the Tor mailing list you didn't get an email yesterday. (Or if you didn't sign up at all.) Not aware of any other reasons why you wouldn't have gotten one, but Irene says we should get them today. And it should be momentarily, if they do it at the same time as yesterday.