PDA

View Full Version : Something unexpected?

Southpaw2012
12-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I have noticed that in Leigh Butler's review, Jason Denzel's letter and Brandons overall comments, the ending has something unexpected to it or at least something that wasn't quite expected. Any ideas?

Rand al'Fain
12-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Rand gets a peaceful life in the Westwood in the Two Rivers with Min and their kids with regular visits to Elayne and the twins, with Avi going between the two?

Yes, I still want that ending for Rand.

Terez
12-12-2012, 03:31 AM
How is that unexpected? It's what I've been saying is going to happen for years now...though I envision Aviendha having a role with the Aiel.

I thought of that when I read this:

WELP, WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING. But fortunately not in the way we were – expecting? Sort of? …And that does divide up nicely this way, doesn’t it. Well done.

maacaroni
12-12-2012, 05:00 AM
He dies?

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2012, 05:37 AM
He dies?
He swaps bodies with the DO.
Then, one or two Ages later, we get:
"The Dragon and all of the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul, beyond the Great Blight, bound by the Creator at the moment of Creation, bound until the end of time. The hand of the Creator shelters the world, and the Light shines on us all."
And when the Dragon threatens to break free, the Dark One Reborn will have to protect the world from that.

Tedman
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
He swaps bodies with the DO.
Then, one or two Ages later, we get:

And when the Dragon threatens to break free, the Dark One Reborn will have to protect the world from that.

You've passed your test, you can diminish and go into the westwood.

rand
12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I have noticed that in Leigh Butler's review, Jason Denzel's letter and Brandons overall comments, the ending has something unexpected to it or at least something that wasn't quite expected. Any ideas?
The book ends with a preview chapter from Book 15.

Tedman
12-17-2012, 02:08 AM
The book ends with a preview chapter from Book 15.

But it was A beginning.

...onwards the wind blew over the sands of the sea. It rustled at the hair of an older man, black sprinkled among the grey, pants in tatters from his vicious shipwreck. His face lined and tanned from the sun and thick like his chest. The only distinguishing mark was a small bird on the slightly curved blade...

and the only sound was that of approaching soldiers...

surely the solders would want to talk to me
Tehd thought, named so for the time when his forfathers had fought for Luthair Paendragon himself at the battle of the To'readair'sweepstakes....

Daekyras
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM
What? Not being rude i genuinely don't follow that at all...

Mailinde
12-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Perhaps a jab at the naming practices the past few books?

First post!

WinespringBrother
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Perhaps a jab at the naming practices the past few books?

First post!

Welcome!

Tedman
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM

I mean its basically just a description of Tam from what I remember from EOTW, and mocking the ridiculous naming convention that's been going on for these books.

The outrigger books were supposed to be about Seanchan and Tam was initially the character Rand became.

Edit: or maybe more accurately, as I remember RJs other big idea was Tam washing up on the shore of Seanchan and interacting with that whole culture etc.

Dom
12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I remember RJs other big idea was Tam washing up on the shore of Seanchan and interacting with that whole culture etc.

Except it wasn't Tam and it wasn't Seanchan.:p

What you describe was his original "start idea" for Infinity of Heaven (that changed later, he added a trilogy before the shipwreck).

The grizzled veteran forced to go back to save the world was originally the hero he had in mind for WOT. That evolved into the concepts of Tam and LTT as "the veterans" and Rand. He also split the character of the veteran's lover/wife in two, ending up with Nynaeve the Wisdom and Egwene her apprentice.

TBF
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe Rand and the Dark One are the same Person from different turns of the wheel. Beeing there at the same time, causes the breaks in the pattern. The Dark One/Dragon is no concept of "shadow/light", it's the manifestation of the force that let the wheel continue to spin. The force that lets it spin is the one power, wich can only be used, or better acts through, the dark one. Rand never was allowed by the Dark one to use it or better not by this dark one/dragon. Realising this when facing the Dark One and killing him after breaking the seals with the one power Rand builds a prison around him, sealing himself up again with the one power. As he thinks about how to safe everything he loves, there is one idea in his mind suddenly: to hold the dark one from rising again, he needs to break the wheel. this idea groups the the next group of darkfriends and Forsaken around him. With that, Rand has set back the Wheel to the Start as countless times in the past. As the turn of the wheel comes to an end close to the top of the rotation a new impulse is needed to start the turn again. this are the dragons/dark ones.

well, thats how i would let it end. you do not have to test it against the facts.

Daekyras
12-17-2012, 08:00 PM
I mean its basically just a description of Tam from what I remember from EOTW, and mocking the ridiculous naming convention that's been going on for these books.

The outrigger books were supposed to be about Seanchan and Tam was initially the character Rand became.

Edit: or maybe more accurately, as I remember RJs other big idea was Tam washing up on the shore of Seanchan and interacting with that whole culture etc.

Hey tedman, thanks foryour explanation. When you put it like that it makes perfect sense.

Also, i must say, it's refreshing to see someones post questioned and for them to answer without sarcasm or trolling. Shows a certain amount of class and maturity that is sorely lacking in some posters here.

In fact, tedman you are now officially my new favourite youngling. My previous favourites (zombie and the unreasoner) have been raised so now, you are my favourite.

It is a title that comes with nothing except respect...

Tedman
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Hey tedman, thanks foryour explanation. When you put it like that it makes perfect sense.

Also, i must say, it's refreshing to see someones post questioned and for them to answer without sarcasm or trolling. Shows a certain amount of class and maturity that is sorely lacking in some posters here.

In fact, tedman you are now officially my new favourite youngling. My previous favourites (zombie and the unreasoner) have been raised so now, you are my favourite.

It is a title that comes with nothing except respect...

Thanks! I'm a long time Wotmaniac displaced to here, but that's ok!

Dom corrected me above I conflated the two things going on in the "outrigger" and the "infinity of heaven".

So maybe even more accurate was that I described infinity of heaven which I thought was to be the next books he was working on with some of his original WoT ideas mashedup but mistakenly named it outrigger books.

And so I don't come off like an ass, I'm thrilled were getting the books, just the names can be a bit jarring.

Edit: I noticed we share the same birthday month, ++++1 x (infinity of heaven) to Rep.