PDA

View Full Version : Europeans: time to keep an eye on the bookstores:)

Isabel
12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey all,

I just read on Tor that 'The first batches (of aMoL) are packed and shipped by truck to the most far-off places, working back to more local regions.'.
I guess that would mean Europe and probably the USA as well :)

So keep an eye on your local bookstores and inform us if you find anything!

I hope that someone finds a copy before next friday :) Else I won't read it till 30 december. (if a copy is released somewhere in Europe)

Unless I happen to find one in Egypt. :D

Regards, Isabel

GonzoTheGreat
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I could be prejudiced, but I think that Egypt could qualify for "not all that more local region".

Dajoran
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
C'mon local bookstores... make living in Ireland count for something...

Isabel
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
True, but I am not sure how many english WOT books are being read and thus sold in Egypt.

And it's not like I will actually have time to go to the bookstore and it's not like i can go by myself.
So it should be in an Airport or near a tourist attraction. Can you imagine aMoL being sold next to the pyramids? :)

Isabel
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
C'mon local bookstores... make living in Ireland count for something...

I do have to say that i think the last few books it was between 4 and 2 weeks before the release date.
So it isn't sure we find it ;)
I do hope so, but we will see. Otherwise it will be January 8 :)

Dajoran
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Regardless, I have the 8th through 10h booked off in work. So I'll either be reading, or re-reading the book on those days :D

Terez
12-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I do have to say that i think the last few books it was between 4 and 2 weeks before the release date.
So it isn't sure we find it ;)
I do hope so, but we will see. Otherwise it will be January 8 :)
I remember last time you didn't get one until after I did, and I got mine 10 days early. But there were a couple of people (can't remember if they were Europeans) who got one before me, including the guy who spoiled Asmodean on RAFO.

Also, how are they supposed to ship to Europe by truck? ;)

Dajoran
12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Also, how are they supposed to ship to Europe by truck? ;)

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!

They go up and over the North Pole!

They can pick up my present from Santa on their way.

Isabel
12-13-2012, 11:33 AM
ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!

They go up and over the North Pole!

They can pick up my present from Santa on their way.

Hehe, or they can drive the trucks to the airport.

Tsofu
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Pardon my ignorance here but unlike say, J.K. Rowling's releases, where it's like MI5 decoding enigma, the WoT books have been put up on shelves BEFORE The release by date in the past? Does this mean that if'n you ordered thru say, Amazonk or Fleabay, you might get aMoL early or no?

Tsofu

Isabel
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Pardon my ignorance here but unlike say, J.K. Rowling's releases, where it's like MI5 decoding enigma, the WoT books have been put up on shelves BEFORE The release by date in the past? Does this mean that if'n you ordered thru say, Amazonk or Fleabay, you might get aMoL early or no?

Tsofu

Yes, the book has been sold by bookstores before the release date. Its mostly small bookstores who only get one or two copies.
I havent heard of anyone who ordered it from amazon who got it early, or at least not weeks in advance.

Sarevok
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Nothing yet...

Davian93
12-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, the book has been sold by bookstores before the release date. Its mostly small bookstores who only get one or two copies.
I havent heard of anyone who ordered it from amazon who got it early, or at least not weeks in advance.

I've gotten it early for the last 2 book releases...and I didnt even have to try hard.

Is now a good time to be traveling to Egypt? Kinda seems iffy to me.

Zombie Sammael
12-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Just a favour: if anyone in the UK manages to pick it up early (or even just sees it early) in England or Wales please let me know, either here or via DM or by whatever method. I am desperate to make sure I have a copy to read on my plane flight on January 8th. At the moment my only option is a book shop early on the day. It would be great to have a copy before I fly and know that the important things are well in hand. If you're agreeable I may ask for one to be sent, but even just a heads up may be enough for me to sneakily snag it sooner (say that several times speedily).

Southpaw2012
12-13-2012, 03:36 PM
The bookstore in my home town sucks... So maybe they will slip a few on the shelves early? However, they've been advertising this book like crazy there so I'm probably crap out of luck.

maacaroni
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
*cough* forbidden planet *cough*

Res_Ipsa
12-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I do not even think there is a small mom and pop bookstore anywhere near Cincy. Annoying to say the least.

Davian93
12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
I do not even think there is a small mom and pop bookstore anywhere near Cincy. Annoying to say the least.

That's what you get for living in a place where people dont read.

rand
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
So, I know this wouldn't work in a Barnes and Noble, but if I went to a Wal-Mart or something and asked the most clueless employee I could find to go out back and look for aMoL, do you guys think it would work? I honestly have no idea when or even if stores like that would get aMoL, though.

But do they have it so it "rings up" as unsellable on the register?

Southpaw2012
12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah how does that work? Like how to people get away with getting it early? Do some stores just override the no sell policy before release date thing?

Dom
12-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah how does that work? Like how to people get away with getting it early? Do some stores just override the no sell policy before release date thing?

It's mostly just very small stores that receive only a few copies of each book. They all come mixed up with all the orders from the same distributor, restocking and new releases together, and they don't always bother sorting it all out and put stock on their shelves as it arrives as they have little storage space. Some of those tend to receive some releases early and others late as they don't get shipments from each distributor every week.

All the big chains and bookstores with computerized inventories usually respect release dates, and usually receive the new releases fairly late because they are sent by their own distribution centers, not by the publishers's distributors directly.

fionwe1987
12-13-2012, 10:05 PM
So, I know this wouldn't work in a Barnes and Noble, but if I went to a Wal-Mart or something and asked the most clueless employee I could find to go out back and look for aMoL, do you guys think it would work? I honestly have no idea when or even if stores like that would get aMoL, though.

I got it at a Walmart once with exactly that strategy. Usually, they don't know about these deadlines. But they also don't stock books till they become popular, I think. They're not looking to get what people might want to read. They just care to stock what's the rage. But sometimes, these books end up being ordered early. I'm in a college town, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Ieyasu
12-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Barns and nobles always has it early, however, they will not sell it to you early... but if you happen to know an employee, well, books sometimes fall off the pallets in the back...

Small shops or walmarts are usually your best bet. Small places because they only get small shipments and dont care/know better, and walmart because the stock boys usually arent literate enough to read a release date...

When I have gotten early releases, I have always gone back to buy a second copy during opening week so I can contribute to the best selling stats.

infgeoax
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update! It seems my preorder is going to be fine after all.

BTW, China is not a local region, is it?

Dajoran
12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
In the past few years I have been buying books in the local Waterstones due to people buying me gift cards for every occasion (I'm easily pleased this way.)

A quick google search for Belfast's independent book shops shows that they have all shut down.

I would be even more irate at this if I could convince myself that I wasn't part of the problem; instead I am very deflated and saddened.

Support your local independent book retailers folks. You'll miss them when they are gone - and with it, the slim chance of a broken Street Date...

maacaroni
12-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Sure, there's a Waterstones behind City Hall (at least when the UFF isn't trying to smash the city up.)

Dajoran
12-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Ha! True. But they are very stringent when it comes to keeping release dates.

I actually had to convince them to go and check their delivery boxes when TGS came out. Silly peoples.

Anaiya Sedai
12-14-2012, 05:58 AM
our local WHSmith had them a week early last time but they wouldn't let me have one till release date. amazon are shite and have never got preorders to me on release day, usually a week or so later (by which time i had given in and got the book from somewhere else).
our very local independent book shop guy loves me though and is ordering aMoL for me, and he said if it arrives before release i can have it straight away. eeeeek!

Daekyras
12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
You're so lucky- My local bookstore owner HATES me. Even though i get on really well with the other two people who work there he won't let them give me books early.

It happened last year with a Dance of Dragons and the year before with ToM.

With Dance he actually showed me the book a week before the release just to wreck my head. Ass.

Terez
12-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Last time I gave away my whole SoT set to an indie to try to bribe them into giving it to me early. Didn't work, but I got the book from another store anyway. :p And I don't miss the books...

Dajoran
12-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Last time I gave away my whole SoT set to an indie to try to bribe them into giving it to me early. Didn't work, but I got the book from another store anyway. :p And I don't miss the books...

No wonder it didn't work. I'm surprised he didn't ban you from the shop :p

maacaroni
12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Be careful! The yeard sees all things because reality is real and objectivism isn't in any way a straw-man religion but is a way of life!

Embrace the yeard. Kick children in the face and have raptor eyes like Dicky Rahl née Cypher.

Res_Ipsa
12-14-2012, 07:42 AM
That's what you get for living in a place where people dont read.

That and I think a couple of major book chains started here, tends to kill the small stuff.

Edit: Apparently there is a Hustler Bookstore nearby . . . I never thought to check there.

maacaroni
12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I thought of at least five responses. All were lurid.

fionwe1987
12-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Once again, I'm going to rely on my University bookstore while trawling through the Walmarts and other such stores. The best thing with the University store is that they will order the book for you, but you don't have to buy it if you find a copy elsewhere. And they give it to you the moment it arrives too!

suttree
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Got an awesome indie fantasy/scifi store here in the SF Bay Area that puts them out as soon as they arrive. The last few I was able to purchase anywhere from 4-6 days before release. PM me if you are in area and want the name. Even leaving that aside the place is legendary.

Aulis Vaara
12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I pre-ordered mine on TheBookDepository in May, and I have the patience to wait until they deliver. They should be heaps faster than Amazon last year in any case (I waited a month after release, ordered it on TBD, got the copy from TBD, and then the one from Amazon arrived).

SamJ
12-15-2012, 03:57 AM
I would usually go up to Forbidden Planet in central London but this year a lovely little Foyles has opened near me. I reserved a copy yesterday. However, even if I get it early, I can't read it as I only have babysitters for 8-9th Jan (currently on mat. leave with my little boy - got my husband and mum to give me 2 days reading time as part of my birthday present).

Isabel
12-16-2012, 05:58 AM
I checked some bookstores yesterday. Nothing yet......

maacaroni
12-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I would say that if you get it early, it'll be no more than a week early in my experience.

Terez
12-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Usually the first spoilers show up two weeks early. We're not quite there yet.

Tedman
12-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Usually the first spoilers show up two weeks early. We're not quite there yet.

I got the last three to four exactly a week early, at a local independent bookshop. Its gotten harder and harder though because despite not posing any details of where I got mine when I wrote about it over at RAFO.com, my place went from 1 preorder each time (me) to 2 two books ago and I think upwards of 5 last time.

So you sneaky bastards who live in the tri-state area I'm on to you!

jameshazza
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Well it seems some people may get their hands on this pretty soon so it may be time to stop lurking here.

My exam schedule is just impossible so I won't get my hands on this until the end of January. Happy reading everyone and I hope it has the epic ending this epic series deserves.

I only wish I discovered this forum a couple of years ago and was able to join in on all the debates and theories. Although something tells me there will still be a lot of discussion after the last book.

Can't believe it's almost here, all good things...

Southpaw2012
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I went into small bookstore today hoping to see if they had any copies in the back because I was going to use my, "assumed it was released already" excuse but that idea got shot down quick. Not only that, I guess they aren't getting it until January 13th. Luckily my college town has a Books a Million so I will be getting it the 8th but still... Wow

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Hey all,

I just read on Tor that 'The first batches (of aMoL) are packed and shipped by truck to the most far-off places, working back to more local regions.'.
I guess that would mean Europe and probably the USA as well :)

So does this mean(are you saying that) the Orbit books ship out of NYC &or Gettysburg? That doesn't make much sense to me; you'd think they would print and bind their own somewhere in the UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.

Zombie Sammael
12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
So does this mean(are you saying that) the Orbit books ship out of NYC &or Gettysburg? That doesn't make much sense to me; you'd think they would print and bind their own somewhere in the UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.

The problem with that idea is that the UK & Ireland and Australia & New Zealand are pretty far apart. If you have to ship to both those regions, it almost makes more sense to print your books in the US and then send them from there - especially if there's another publisher printing the same book and you can just switch the binding. That said, I believe UK publishers normally use different stock on their books, or at least their paperbacks, so that theory may be incorrect.

Isabel
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM

In Europe you can get Tor and Orbit versions. I always get the tor version for my bookcase. Most of the time the tor version is publisedbefore orbit. Although it happened i got the obit version too, because it was earlier.

My post was mostly meant as a sign to keep an eye on bookstores. It has leakef this early in the past.but every book has been differend, so ho knows whenwe find it.

Dom
12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
My post was mostly meant as a sign to keep an eye on bookstores. It has leakef this early in the past.but every book has been differend, so ho knows whenwe find it.

The fact there's Christmas in between now and the release might not help us much.

I've had trouble before finding books coming out very close to Christmas or to early after Jan 1st. Because it's their big inventory period and big sales ongoing, the bookstores were not in any rush to get in stock the new releases.

Isabel
12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
True:) oh well, at least we keep each other informed of the not-so-great progress.
:D

TBF
12-17-2012, 06:59 PM
at least here in germany, there will only be very few bookstores selling it too early. the big online shops will not send too early as well, as they were sued by Martins publisher, when they started to sell A Dance with Dragons too early this(?) summer.

Terez
12-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Doesn't the Orbit version have Queen's English?

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-17-2012, 07:26 PM

One would presume. To make things simple for TOR the copies sold in Canada are identical to the ones sold in the USA (despite Canadian spelling being closer to UK spelling - "colour", "centre" etc.)

maacaroni
12-18-2012, 04:10 AM
No it doesn't. All strange spellings, I can barely decipher it!

GonzoTheGreat
12-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Which Queen's? Elayne or Elizabeth II?
The Orbit version does have a different cover; it doesn't use the artwork we've discussed on this board. That is why I have specifically ordered the American version, and why when ToM came out, I had to wait a couple of days to start reading, because only the British version was available until the friday after the tuesday on which it should have appeared.

Terez
12-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Ahh, I always assumed it did for some reason. Probably because the Malazan Tor version has American English (the author is Canadian and his main publishing house operates out of London, so of course the original versions use the Queen's English, and also little things like using single quotes for dialogue tags).

Spidy
12-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Considering the ....

I might just decide to wait until I get a version that is written in Spidese, just so that I can agree with myself that all the looney theories I have come up with over the years were actually true......

Dom
12-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Ahh, I always assumed it did for some reason. Probably because the Malazan Tor version has American English (the author is Canadian and his main publishing house operates out of London, so of course the original versions use the Queen's English, and also little things like using single quotes for dialogue tags).

For WOT we have the original American version via H.B. Fenn (Tor's Canadian distributor).

It's not Tor that owns the rights to Steven Erickson's novels in Canada. We get the Bantam version with his original spelling.

Peter Ahlstrom
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
H.B. Fenn went out of business. Tor now distributes in Canada directly to Chapters/Indigo and through Raincoast to independents.

Isabel
12-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

BTW i think you are keeping is keeping an eye on this thread for a different reason than us : p

Dom
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
H.B. Fenn went out of business. Tor now distributes in Canada directly to Chapters/Indigo and through Raincoast to independents.

Thanks Peter.

Hmmm... I wonder if this explains why the smaller bookstores and the main competitor of Indigo in Québec no longer receive the books on time now.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Peter.

Hmmm... I wonder if this explains why the smaller bookstores and the main competitor of Indigo in Québec no longer receive the books on time now.

Archambault? Renaud-Bray? Does Indigo have any competitors that sell large quantities of books in English?

Raincoast is slow to ship. For ToM Chapters Indigo stores had their backrooms full long before any other bookstore had theirs in stock.

Dom
12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Archambault? Renaud-Bray? Does Indigo have any competitors that sell large quantities of books in English?

Raincoast is slow to ship. For ToM Chapters Indigo stores had their backrooms full long before any other bookstore had theirs in stock.

Renaud-Bray, Archambault's not in the right area for me. A Renaud-Bray's like 2 min from my place. They do order the WOT books (about 5 copies/store in Montréal, well.. in some areas anyway), but they no longer get them on time. All books from Tor. They warned me of this when I tried to reserve a copy there instead of going all the way downtown to Indigo, told me books from that publisher the predominantly French bookstores in town most often receive 2-3 weeks late these days. It was two weeks ago, and copies were already on order in their computer, but the librarian said she doubted they'd get them for Jan 8.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Renaud-Bray, Archambault's not in the right area for me. A Renaud-Bray's like 2 min from my place. They do order the WOT books (about 5 copies/store in Montréal, well.. in some areas anyway), but they no longer get them on time. All books from Tor. They warned me of this when I tried to reserve a copy there instead of going all the way downtown to Indigo, told me books from that publisher the predominantly French bookstores in town most often receive 2-3 weeks late these days. It was two weeks ago, and copies were already on order in their computer, but the librarian said she doubted they'd get them for Jan 8.

As far as I know there is one of each in Gatineau. I've been to both but I've never thought of trying to get an English book at either.

Dom
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
As far as I know there is one of each in Gatineau. I've been to both but I've never thought of trying to get an English book at either.

I usually don't either (and more rarely since I often use an ereader), except being so close to home it's practical for last minute purchases or when I want a book as badly as AMOL. To and back from the nearest Indigo store I lose 90 min.

They don't have a ton of titles in English (mine has a bit more, as it's located in a neighborhood with a lot of anglophone hipsters), but they have big releases and stuff about which the literary media reviewers tell people the French translation is horrible, or culturally irritating (which is true of a lot of books set in Canada or the US translated in France, not that I have that much experience of that since it's almost 30 years I haven't read a translation from English, but to hear the examples from the reviewers, it's as bad as when I was a kid and you could read a book set in Vermont and Ontario and all sounded false.)

But well, it's not really an option for Tor's stuff as it arrives very late (now. at the time of WH/COT/KOD, it used to be there on release day. I had the habit of reserving a copy because they have few and I wasn't the only one going there to fetch one on release day).

GhenjeiBomber
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
For Dutch and Belgian readers: I saw a site claiming to be shipping from 1-1-13. Pm me if you're interested...

Isabel
12-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Ghenjei: they wont ship anymore:) tor also reads this forum. So i guess they will be contacting the company now, not to ship it till the 8 th.

So people: dont let Tor know in advance how to stop it.:D get the book first:p

GhenjeiBomber
12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
That was not really what I intended to achieve.... Next time I'll just tell you guys I found something and that you can PM me. Seems like a better idea...

Isabel
12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Or you can edit your post and hope they havent seen it yet:)

GhenjeiBomber
12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Also a great idea! Apparently my brain shut down early today, even before I'm sound asleep...

Isabel
12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Btw: dont trust everything you see:) i only believe they ship early when it actually happened:p

rand
12-19-2012, 03:43 PM

lol, I tried doing this at my Walmart to see what would happen. I think my "find the most clueless employ to ask" plan kind of backfired on me. I started asking the guy about the book when he stopped me and said, "wait, we sell books here?" So, after convincing him they did sell books (he made me show him where they were) I got pawned off on other employees no less than four times. Finally, the woman who actually puts the books on the shelf told me that there was nothing else out back, and that everything they had was out on the shelf--which of course had no aMoL (she also imparted some wise advice to me: "why the hell are you looking for a book at Walmart?") It was probably too early for a department store anyway... The good news is that they didn't even bother to look the book up or anything, so if they did have it, they probably would have just handed me the thing...maybe I'll go back after Christmas or something.

Terez
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
If your Walmart is going to carry it, chances are they have it programmed into the computers where you can't ring it up. All the major chain bookstores do that; it's a bit easier for Tor to hold the chains accountable.

Daekyras
12-20-2012, 04:58 PM
If your Walmart is going to carry it, chances are they have it programmed into the computers where you can't ring it up. All the major chain bookstores do that; it's a bit easier for Tor to hold the chains accountable.

could they do something to a chain store like walmart?
In ireland the big bookstore is easons. I've never seen them have a fantasy novel for sale early but they have made several mistakes with a few others over the years including a few stores the released the clusterf*ck of a novel ''breaking dawn'' early and i don't think they had any, reported, sanctions...

Sarevok
12-21-2012, 01:45 AM
In ireland the big bookstore is easons. I've never seen them have a fantasy novel for sale early but they have made several mistakes with a few others over the years including a few stores the released the clusterf*ck of a novel ''breaking dawn'' early and i don't think they had any, reported, sanctions...

I'd think if they'd do it several times over, there might be sanctions. Like maybe not getting the book till release day itself, which would probably mean a loss in sales because they'd need a day to stock it properly, too. :)

yks 6nnetu hing
12-21-2012, 02:07 AM
I'd think if they'd do it several times over, there might be sanctions. Like maybe not getting the book till release day itself, which would probably mean a loss in sales because they'd need a day to stock it properly, too. :)

there's also probably liability claims from the publisher and potential loss of other merchandise from the same publisher. Plus, whenever author appearances are scheduled (again, not even necessarily that same author, could be other authors who are associated with that publisher), those chains would not get picked first.

Dajoran
12-21-2012, 03:54 AM

I know we are probably a good distance away from each other - but I'll send you a PM if I come across a place that has broken the date so we can... umm... cooperate on reporting this evil bookstore to Tor... yes that's what we'll do...

Daekyras
12-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Not sure where you are but i'm Dublin or Sligo most days so realistically, if we come across an early release I gould be there to...sanction them myself...in about 2 hours! God Bless our little country.

P.s I have a lead on a place that might just do it..Will pass it on to you if it comes out with 6 pips Dajoran.

Dajoran
12-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Cheers! I'm just up north in Belfast, I've got a few people all over checking for me - and a brother in Arklow who's keeping me updated from that end, a bit of a drive, but like you say 2-3 hours and I've got my prize* :D

*again for anyone reading - my prize is of course reporting this heinous crime.

Daekyras
12-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Cheers! I'm just up north in Belfast, I've got a few people all over checking for me - and a brother in Arklow who's keeping me updated from that end, a bit of a drive, but like you say 2-3 hours and I've got my prize* :D

*again for anyone reading - my prize is of course reporting this heinous crime.

Is it still Hairy there over the "flag"?

Going up to do the marathon in april. Never done one before and starting to think this is my last chance before my body starts slowing down. Football is already getting hard!

Dajoran
12-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Is it still Hairy there over the "flag"?

Going up to do the marathon in april. Never done one before and starting to think this is my last chance before my body starts slowing down. Football is already getting hard!

Ha! Yep, they've planned more 'fleg' protests today - it's ruining my hunt for aMoL. City Centre trade just shuts down when they come out en masse.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was over taking down the Wolf-Head Banner...

Fair play to you for doing a marathon now, my smokers lungs would give out after a mile or two!

maacaroni
12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Ha! Yep, they've planned more 'fleg' protests today - it's ruining my hunt for aMoL. City Centre trade just shuts down when they come out en masse.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was over taking down the Wolf-Head Banner...

Fair play to you for doing a marathon now, my smokers lungs would give out after a mile or two!

I thought they were 'the band of the red hand' :D

Dajoran
12-24-2012, 04:45 AM
I thought they were 'the band of the red hand' :D

:D:D Ha!

They wish!

Mat would not be on their side accoring to history, Hugh O'Neill and his Red Hand banner waged a nine year war against those who few the fleg.

Unless we are going to get a few Chapters where Mat revolts against Elayne and Andor, and offers the Crown of Manetheren to Darlin Sisnera.

I think I've gotten all my historical parallels correct there.

Daekyras
12-24-2012, 08:31 AM
pretty accurate dajoram.

Although the read hand is older than hugh o'neill. There are many origin stories but one of them is linked to conchobar mac neasa and the red branch knights which is a good fit for tye ''band''

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Copies are being sold in Israël. PM Balfur on dragonmount.com for details. Found the book in Jerusalem but should be available Israel-wide. It's the bookstore with the light and dark green logo.

Zombie Sammael
12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
So... anyone in the UK managed to snag it yet?

missbee
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I thought I cracked it.
Located an independent bookshop, in a small town, not that far away, I was willing to drive there...
Turned out to be a Christian bookshop, they sounded quite hopeful at the title, but had never heard of the author.
Guess I'll have to wait.

Dajoran
12-31-2012, 05:20 AM
So... anyone in the UK managed to snag it yet?

I have feelers out at the moment in Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Hull of all places.

(Long story short - all Ice Hockey towns, and they contain generous and kind fans of other teams :D)

No joy so far... at this rate I'm just going to have to be bloody patient I suppose.

GhenjeiBomber
12-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Anyone in Holland yet? I've contacted several stores already, but no one was selling yet. Also tried a lot of the bigger chains (Cosmox, Bol, Bruna, Selexyz et cetera), but no luck there either. 8 more days is going to kill me, or worse, will probably end up on the spoiler forum of DM.

Isabel
12-31-2012, 07:36 AM
No luck yet.

IgglySedai
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Ive tried my local bookstore (London) but they're insisting it'll be there on the 8th, no earlier <sigh>

Dajoran
01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I spent another lunchtime scouring the shelves in Belfast also, no joy for me.

The DM spoiler board is looking mighty appealing to me at the moment... this can only end badly...

Tollingtoy
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Called about 20 stores in CT today and tried the find an idiot at Target/Walmart move yesterday. No luck on either front. And I agree, the spoiler board is INCREDIBLY hard to resist

GonzoTheGreat
01-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Called about 20 stores in CT today and tried the find an idiot at Target/Walmart move yesterday. No luck on either front.
You couldn't find an idiot in Walmart? Are you ta'veren, by any chance?

lowlandr
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
tried a couple of shops in Holland. They either have it, but don't sell before the 8th or they don't even have received a copy...

ScoundrelTheToy
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I found a store in Atlanta, Ga area if anyone wants book early, pm me.

Landro
01-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Anyone in Holland yet? I've contacted several stores already, but no one was selling yet. Also tried a lot of the bigger chains (Cosmox, Bol, Bruna, Selexyz et cetera), but no luck there either. 8 more days is going to kill me, or worse, will probably end up on the spoiler forum of DM.

ABC and Waterstone's in Amsterdam usually get advance shipments but I don't think they'll sell early

Landro
01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I thought I cracked it.
Located an independent bookshop, in a small town, not that far away, I was willing to drive there...
Turned out to be a Christian bookshop, they sounded quite hopeful at the title, but had never heard of the author.
Guess I'll have to wait.

Christian bookstores tend to boycott all books that contain magic (except for the bible of course)

dfchang813
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I spent another lunchtime scouring the shelves in Belfast also, no joy for me.

The DM spoiler board is looking mighty appealing to me at the moment... this can only end badly...

I would avoid that thread like the plague. It is like the Pit of Shayol Ghul itself in there. . . in about another day there will literally be no part of the last book that is unspoiled.

You eyes will melt and roll off your cheeks like Toht in Raiders of the Last Ark.

Vanadis
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyone in Sweden that got the book? Or know anything about delivery time from AdLibris?

Tollingtoy
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
You couldn't find an idiot in Walmart? Are you ta'veren, by any chance?

My name IS Matt, so....:D

Zombie Sammael
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Christian bookstores tend to boycott all books that contain magic (except for the bible of course)

WOT contains only three mentions of the word "magic", only one of which is used to describe the One Power. ;)

Tedman
01-04-2013, 01:23 AM
I have it.

I can't believe I got it early again, and on my birthday no less ( no need to say happy birthday, just sharing that maybe it was meant to be ).

Zombie Sammael
01-04-2013, 04:42 AM
I had an email this morning letting me know my copy has shipped to the book shop and therefore should be available for me to collect before I fly on Tuesday morning. Phew!

manolin
01-04-2013, 06:29 AM
I just rang up a couple of stores in New Delhi. everyone was like its not come yet. last time I got it 2 days early, so probably will have to give it a rest for the weekend and then attack again.

Brandon is never going to visit india, so rest assurred tor won't be cracking down here anytime soon.

WinespringBrother
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I have it.

I can't believe I got it early again, and on my birthday no less ( no need to say happy birthday, just sharing that maybe it was meant to be ).

Congrats! It is unlikely I will get the book early, but it occurred to me that due to the midnight release party that Tor is throwing Monday evening, I will get the book in my hands before the people at the Utah midnight release party :D:p

SamJ
01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
I have it.

Happy Birthday Tedman - my birthday is 8 Jan and I'm looking forward to reading it then

Tedman
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Congrats! It is unlikely I will get the book early, but it occurred to me that due to the midnight release party that Tor is throwing Monday evening, I will get the book in my hands before the people at the Utah midnight release party :D:p

Im excited, and Ill see you there!

Happy Birthday Tedman - my birthday is 8 Jan and I'm looking forward to reading it then

If that isn't a portent of something, I don't know what would be!

Landro
01-05-2013, 03:15 AM
WOT contains only three mentions of the word "magic", only one of which is used to describe the One Power. ;)

It's not just the word 'magic'. It's pretty much anything supernatural that's not in the bible.

If you feel like trolling the folks at a christian bookstore, ask them for Tolkien, Harry Potter, Twilight or GRRM

Terez
01-05-2013, 04:26 AM
So you're not camping out on the sidewalk with the tv.net people? :p

IgglySedai
01-05-2013, 05:39 AM
My local bookstore has just rung to say my copy is here. Ready to collect.

I could explode!

lowlandr
01-05-2013, 06:37 AM
called some local bookstores, but they don't seem to get the book until the second half of January or later.

And some are only able to get the Orbit edition...

The wait... the WAIT.. :eek:

Isabel
01-05-2013, 06:44 AM
The ABC should have the book on the 8 th.

lowlandr
01-05-2013, 06:54 AM

yeah I know... but I was hoping I could find it closer, saving me a long drive. But I guess Tuesday I'll be heading to ABC (and the bar across the street for my first pages).

Vanadis
01-05-2013, 07:00 AM
My local bookstore already have it, and I was THIS close to have it in my hands today, but someone who holds rules very high came and shot down my dreams :(

IgglySedai
01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
I have it I HAVE IT

killerrabbit
01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Got a copy!

Tedman
01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I have it I HAVE IT

Its killing me not being able to talk about it here.

missbee
01-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Apparently there are copies to be had in the Oxford area (UK).
Frustratingly I can't get there even though it is fairly close. You just need to complete the cryptic clue over at DM (or PM me) for the location

Reesh
01-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Apparently there are copies to be had in the Oxford area (UK).
Frustratingly I can't get there even though it is fairly close. You just need to complete the cryptic clue over at DM (or PM me) for the location

Dammit, was in there on Friday and didn't see one! :mad:

ddidiodion
01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
is it bad that I can't work out either the DM clue about the Oxford bookstore nor how to pm you?

Reesh
01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
is it bad that I can't work out either the DM clue about the Oxford bookstore nor how to pm you?

Well, I came straight here, got the last one off the shelf and am lierally sat there reading it now with an overpriced coffee, so if you work it out, be sure to ask an assistant. ill try pming you too.

ddidiodion
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Well, I came straight here, got the last one off the shelf and am lierally sat there reading it now with an overpriced coffee, so if you work it out, be sure to ask an assistant. ill try pming you too.

Ah it's ok, looked again with a proper browser (not on my phone) and saw the bolded parts finally and it clicked.

Reesh
01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Gah damn dodgy mobile reception here, s o double post, soz for dodgy typing too. Got it in my hands though!

missbee
01-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Glad you worked it out, was just about to Pm you - enjoy!

Sarevok
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM

The PM-ing part isn't that bad, since I can't, either. Guess he doesn't have enough posts here or something?

Landro
01-06-2013, 11:26 AM

they already have 200 copies in stock but they won't sell early

IgglySedai
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Its killing me not being able to talk about it here.

Yes I know! There are spoiler threads on DM which I peek into as I get through it. Am savouring it slowly.

Sarevok
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
How long will those 200 copies at ABC last? I won't be able to make it to Amsterdam till the 9th... :(

lowlandr
01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
How long will those 200 copies at ABC last? I won't be able to make it to Amsterdam till the 9th... :(

Considering there isn't anything specials going on (like a signing), I don't think here are 200 fanatic WoT'ies in Holland who will be camping out the ABC on the first day.

I'll be one of them, so you'll have 199 more chances ;)

Landro
01-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Considering there isn't anything specials going on (like a signing), I don't think here are 200 fanatic WoT'ies in Holland who will be camping out the ABC on the first day.

I'll be one of them, so you'll have 199 more chances ;)

If they run out you can just cross the street to Waterstone's. (They sell the UK version but they open at 09:00 instead of 10:00)

DahLliA
01-07-2013, 04:31 AM
stupid Amazon wont ship my book until the 9th :(

GonzoTheGreat
01-07-2013, 04:48 AM
stupid Amazon wont ship my book until the 9th :(
If you lived in Australia, then the 9th would come sooner for you.

Isabel
01-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Btw, any moredutchie interested in the dutch meet at 29 thjan. It willbe fullspoilers

DahLliA
01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
If you lived in Australia, then the 9th would come sooner for you.

Think the location of Amazon's office/storehouse is more important tbh

Mort
01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Went to my two bookstores in town today to see if anyone had them for sale already. They didn't. One of them said he had them but he couldn't sell it to me until tomorrow. Damn rule-abiding bookstores! Same thing last time. One of those 80 books he had in store better be there when I go there tomorrow :)

lowlandr
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Btw, any moredutchie interested in the dutch meet at 29 thjan. It willbe fullspoilers

sounds like a fun idea. have you thought about the where and what time?

Isabel
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
sounds like a fun idea. have you thought about the where and what time?

Sorry, it will be saturday 19 at my place. Ifyou are interested in coming sent me anemil at emmelotje at hotmail.com

Sarevok
01-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Looks like I won't have to go to Amsterdam for aMoL after all! :D My local store got it yesterday!!!