PDA

View Full Version : Copies of aMoL have already shipped in Canada

halo6819
12-17-2012, 08:21 PM
A user on reddit posted his copy that came early: http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/150s5g/somehow_its_here_early_i_dont_know_how_or_why_but/

Terez
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Someone posted on DM that they had downloaded the audiobook from audible.com and listened to it already, but the DM locals think it's not true. First-time poster, no details, etc.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
A user on reddit posted his copy that came early: http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/150s5g/somehow_its_here_early_i_dont_know_how_or_why_but/

I'm leaning towards believing this one, what with the blurry photo and all.

Someone posted on DM that they had downloaded the audiobook from audible.com and listened to it already, but the DM locals think it's not true. First-time poster, no details, etc. That poster didn't want to elaborate at all + didn't say "I just got it" but rather said they had listened to the ENTIRE audiobook. A time consuming endeavour...

But hey, you were skeptical when I got the prologue 3 weeks early ;)

halo6819
12-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Op claims it came from chapters in Canada.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Op claims it came from chapters in Canada.

The WORST thing about this is that if you order in-store for in-store shipping, usually your book arrives AFTER the stock they have to be sold "generally". When I bought tGS I did that. Showed up at Chapters on release day; had to buy another copy and return it just so I could get the book right away. So for ToM I said f-em.

I'll sign up for reddit but if someone could askwhat city they live in because the GTA has a different express shipping system you can use because they are so close to the warehouse.

Dom
12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
That sounds legit.

I just asked my neighbor who's a manager at one (Indigo anyway, same chain). She said it might happen, if the guy ordered it from the store. The online ordering department withholds shipments until release or close, it's all computerized, it's not humans who decide when things get shipped, but for an order originating from a store, the department that deal with those is the one that deals with store restocking etc. and they might have fullfilled the order right away if the book was in stock.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-17-2012, 09:35 PM
That sounds legit.

I just asked my neighbor who's a manager at one (Indigo anyway, same chain). She said it might happen, if the guy ordered it from the store. The online ordering department withholds shipments until release or close, it's all computerized, it's not humans who decide when things get shipped, but for an order originating from a store, the department that deal with those is the one that deals with store restocking etc. and they might have fullfilled the order right away if the book was in stock.
Merci Dom. :)

So for anybody else trying to replicate this Reddit user's success, is it possible?

I posted as rienquivaille on Reddit to confirm.

Dom
12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Merci Dom. :)

So for anybody else trying to replicate this Reddit user's success, is it possible?

I posted as rienquivaille on Reddit to confirm.

I don't know. It's been a few years since I've ordered anything from the store at Indigo/Chapters, but as far as I remember, it took a while, like at least two weeks.

Isabel
12-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Pretty awesome!

Tedman
12-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Mother of god.

Olver_is_a_Forsaken
12-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Pretty awesome!
Mother of god.

So, in the spirit of the holiday madness that will be trying to find a book, and of this old thread:
http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4283

What would you do to get the book right away? Fly to Winnipeg?

halo6819
12-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Well, its not right away, but I did start planing for this release while waiting in line to get WoK signed. In that line, I met a guy who flew to Charleston for TGS and I decided I wanted to do that for aMoL. Well the months passed, my best friend and I were making plans to either drive or fly, we settled on flying, but there was no word as to where the midnight release would be.

So now I'm going to Provo for four days, in the snow...

Sid
12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
If chapter 2 is anything to go by, listening to the entire audiobook would be an extremely taxing endeavor.

Tedman
12-18-2012, 02:40 AM
If chapter 2 is anything to go by, listening to the entire audiobook would be an extremely taxing endeavor.

Pevera see-die whispered into the ear of An-Drawl.

RandAllThor
12-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Perhaps someone could ask him for the number of chapters in the book? I already know the answer, so it could be a good way to verify that he's legit.

Lupusdeusest
12-18-2012, 06:05 AM
So, in the spirit of the holiday madness that will be trying to find a book, and of this old thread:
http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4283

What would you do to get the book right away? Fly to Winnipeg?

I am going on an 10h50m train trip (8.20pm - 7.10am) to get to my closest capital city as I do not trust my local bookstores to have it on the day. The bookstore opens at 8.30 or so; this means I have time to nom and change (if I am not already dressed up).
The A&R on the north side of my town says they should have it, but...

Chazle
12-18-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/150s5g/somehow_its_here_early_i_dont_know_how_or_why_but/

Read through the contents and I guess Brandon was alerted about it. Good Guy Poster is agreeing not to post anything regarding spoilers until everyone gets the book. I was curious as to whether or not other canadians were as lucky as this dude was.

And I didn't put it in the AMoL section because I'm working very, very, VERY hard to stay spoiler-free pre-release.

WinespringBrother
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/150s5g/somehow_its_here_early_i_dont_know_how_or_why_but/

Read through the contents and I guess Brandon was alerted about it. Good Guy Poster is agreeing not to post anything regarding spoilers until everyone gets the book. I was curious as to whether or not other canadians were as lucky as this dude was.

And I didn't put it in the AMoL section because I'm working very, very, VERY hard to stay spoiler-free pre-release.

There is already a similar thread in the AMOL forum, I am going to merge this thread into that one.

Marie Curie 7
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I blame Canadia! They're the ones who messed up with the Prologue early release, too.

Dom
12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
We're not responsible for the blunders of American companies on our soil, eh. :p

Peter Ahlstrom
12-21-2012, 03:07 PM
We're not responsible for the blunders of American companies on our soil, eh. :p

This one was all Chapters/Indigo. Are they owned by a US company?

Dom
12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I was referring to Google Books Canada's Of Grace and Banner Fallen ebook blunder.

This one was all Chapters/Indigo. Are they owned by a US company?

Canadian-owned. The founder of Indigo/current CEO is a Canadian woman. Heather Reisman, Toronto-based IRRC.

I'm not sure if our laws allow brick-and-mortar bookstore chains to be owned by foreign companies. None of the US chains have expanded here, unlike retail chains in most other domains.

I vaguely recall something about going around laws by not having stores from the fuss made around the opening of Amazon.ca, but I could be wrong.

Chapters was an older chain. Indigo bought it and spread out everywhere. They also bought the Coles chain. They seem to keep the banners mostly as an illusion of choice. It's the only Canada-wide chain, and they're more and more transitioning to home style/leisure stores (a neighbor working there told me they're planning to reduce space devoted to books to under 25% within 2-3 years). And they're also the main owner of the Kobo ereader, and its web-based store (Edit: apparently they sold most of their shares in Kobo to a Japanese company recently).

The other chains are much smaller and based in some provinces or even cities only. With 25 stores in Qc, Renaud-Bray is possibly the second "biggest" chain in the country, mostly catering to francophones except to a small extent in Montréal where it faces competition from Indigo.