PDA

View Full Version : I Like Ike -- NOT

Weird Harold
09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
LInk to Wunderground's collection of tracking graphics (http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200809_5day.html#a_topad)

Ike is looking to cause trouble for our Texas members or cause more trouble for NOLA.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_5day.gif

The individual computer models don't exactly agree on where Ike is headed but they've got Houston bracketed. :(

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_model.gif

This one is a big animation showing how "accurate" the models are (http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/hurricane/images/at200809_verify.gif)

This one is even bigger, not as useful, but impressive. (http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/storm_radar/ike09l.2008090718_anim.gif?cache=130)

All y'all stay safe -- please.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I've been watching this one (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/#preferredName=Ike) and the NBC affiliate (http://www.click2houston.com/hurricanes/index.html) and ABC affiliate (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?section=weather/hurricane&id=6184828).

Brita
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
My colleague's sister has been evacuated from Turks and Caicos- apparently the whole island was evacuated (those who could afford flights that is- a lot of people had no choice but to stay).

She runs a small scuba business just off the ocean, and is expecting the worst when she returns.

Terez
09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Kick the baby!

Sinistrum
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-zomg-run-cat-woman-screams.jpg

Bryan Blaire
09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I like the tracks where it DOESN'T COME HERE! :D

Not terribly concerned about this one yet....

tworiverswoman
09-09-2008, 04:26 AM
http://mayihaveacheeseburger.com/please/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/zomg-cat.jpg

Gilshalos Sedai
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Well, it should hit Rockport, Texas which is further down the coast from us. However, we're supposed to be on the dirty side and if it hits at a 3, we're in for some nasty weather, but that's about it.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, the mayor has requested a voluntary evacuation of downtown Houston tomorrow.

Davian93
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Is it just me or does everyone take hurricane's way more seriously ever since Katrina? I dont rememeber anything like this for hurricanes like Hugo or Andrew back in the 90's.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Can't tell you what Houston did in the 90's. I do know that when Allison dumped 3 foot of rain on us in three days the city kinda WISHED it had evacuated, they were rescuing people from rooftops via boat and helicopter, hell, a newscrew ended up helping one guy. Our lesson is from Allison, not Katrina.

http://www.click2houston.com/weather/17444943/detail.html

Ivhon
09-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Not to sound callous or anything but the new tracking that takes Ike away from drought ridden central Texas is sad to me. We need the rain, and so far this summer it has only come with hurricanes.

This one was tracking straight for Austin up until yesterday or so. Now it seems we will only get the outside edge of the SW quadrant.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but we need it, too. Our pine tree is dying of all things.

Weird Harold
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Is it just me or does everyone take hurricane's way more seriously ever since Katrina? I dont rememeber anything like this for hurricanes like Hugo or Andrew back in the 90's.
There wasn't as much internet access to storm tracking in the 90's that there is now. What was available was all geek-speak meteorologist jargon.

There was this kind of information available for the 2005 Hurricane season and Katrina and lots of doom and gloom for earlier storms.

Katrina just happened to be the big strom that fulfilled all the Doom and Gloom sayers dire predictions so she gets credit for the increased willingness to evacuate.

Cary Sedai
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Not to sound callous or anything but the new tracking that takes Ike away from drought ridden central Texas is sad to me. We need the rain, and so far this summer it has only come with hurricanes.

This one was tracking straight for Austin up until yesterday or so. Now it seems we will only get the outside edge of the SW quadrant.

Seriously.

I want rain! Lots of rain! Oh and Ivhon, there will be rain, eventually. However it's usually after things have cooled down and we get a cold wet winter (ish) rain.

Ivhon
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Seriously.

I want rain! Lots of rain! Oh and Ivhon, there will be rain, eventually. However it's usually after things have cooled down and we get a cold wet winter (ish) rain.

That does my lawn no good. Nor does it make me happy seeing grass growing in the middle of Lake Travis.

Cary Sedai
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
That does my lawn no good. Nor does it make me happy seeing grass growing in the middle of Lake Travis.

I know! Beleive me, I know! My yard is so sad... You could landscape with rock and cactus... :p

Zaela Sedai
09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
So what's Gil. Bry B and Sini doing now that you ARE getting hit? Hurricane Party?? BE SAFE!!!!!!

Sodas
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
You guys be careful out there in Tehas. Sending you our thoughts and prayers.

Sodas and Camaria

Bryan Blaire
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
LOL... Zae, like I said, it depends on what you mean by "hit". We are far enough inland that about all we will be dealing with is the wind. They are predicting that it may move out of here fast enough to not even give us all that much in the way of rain.

Luckily it appears that there is less than a 10% chance it will move up to a Cat 4, and from the way the barometric pressure internally in the storm is raising and the fact that there is a dry air mass at the front of the storm cutting off its infusion of humid air, it may not even get up to Cat 3, although they are predicting a weak/low Cat 3 about 4 hours before landfall, and likely slipping back to a Cat 2 storm. We are expecting winds around 75 mph, with gusts likely up to 90-100 mph. Luckily our windows are required to be rated at up to 110 mph usually, so hopefully unless something decides to come crash into our windows, we should survive.

The key will be how quickly we lose power and Internet/TV, and when they get it restored.

Edit: And the party will likely be all day tomorrow, until my grandmother shows up at my house for sheltering...

Cary Sedai
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Edit: And the party will likely be all day tomorrow, until my grandmother shows up at my house for sheltering...

No partying with grandma's. You're keeping the lizard in his cage, right? :p

~sigh~ I was really hoping it would follow the lines it was predicting yesterday. I want rain.

Bryan Blaire
09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Zee Lizard is hunkering down in his place... he should be fine, and I told him that if the world really looks like it is ending tomorrow, he should walk over to the cutie's apartment near his and tell her that rather than kissing his own keister good bye, he'd really like to kiss her's. :D

Hey, I thought it was a good idea...

Matoyak
09-11-2008, 11:19 PM
So my Uncle's right in the path, on the coast... he refused to evacuate.

~sigh~

Gilshalos Sedai
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Your uncle's in Galveston?

Bryan Blaire
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Weeeeeeeee! Wind is picking up.

We've arranged a line of communication in case the power goes out, etc. We're supposed to be clear for another 12 to 14 hours or so, but the storm has sped up a little bit, so we'll see.

Looks like the worst things will be the storm surge (which won't affect us in the slightest), and the wind up here will probably gust up to about 90 to 100 mph. The sky is mostly clear and bright for the most part right now though, even down in Galveston (although that is starting to darken). Kinda cool to watch the breakers jump about twenty feet into the air when they hit the sea wall though.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh, and there's an escaped convict in the area, running around in his underwear!

Hollywood wouldn't touch this script for being too outlandish!

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
LMAO! I didn't see anywhere in the news where they had evacuated the Federal Prison Complex in Beaumont to. Our system is already overcrowded, anyone know where they were sent?

(other than the undwear guy - we know where he is!)

Sodas
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

For example, Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi as a strong Category 3 hurricane, yet its storm surge was more characteristic of a Category 5 storm. Dr. Powell came up with a new scale to rate potential storm surge damage based on IKE (not to be confused with Hurricane Ike!) The new scale ranges from 1-6. Katrina and Wilma at their peaks both earned a 5.1 on this scale (Figure 2). At 12:30pm EDT [Thurs], Ike earned a 5.2 on this scale, the second highest kinetic energy of any Atlantic storm in the past 40 years. Hurricane Isabel of 2003 had the highest.

Scary.

Birgitte
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Holy crap! There's a freighter stuck in the direct path of Ike right now. They've lost power and the 22 people on board can't do anything. They're stuck there. Nothing anyone can do. Though, the Coast Guard has been telling people out there to find safe harbor for the last three days.

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Holy crap! There's a freighter stuck in the direct path of Ike right now. They've lost power and the 22 people on board can't do anything. They're stuck there. Nothing anyone can do. Though, the Coast Guard has been telling people out there to find safe harbor for the last three days.

Here's the link if you want to read about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,421465,00.html

Birgitte
09-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm watching the news about it. The spokesman for the Coast Guard is pissed. He kept saying that he told them to keep out of there three days ago. And he had kept telling them to until they lost power.

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
How did they lose power? The article does not mention it.

Birgitte
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
He didn't say. Just that they did. so I don't know. ~shrug~

Crispin's Crispian
09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Here's a pic of the freighter, in case you want some idea of the size of the thing. I don't blame the CG for being pissed. Now they have to risk their own lives to save these people, who might have been out of harms way had they heeded prior warnings.

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures/antalina-approachpc-3-5-01.jpg

Ivhon
09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Can the captain of the freighter be brought up on reckless endangerment charges? Or whoever gave the order NOT to heed the warnings?

Birgitte
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Actually, the CG can't do anything. They can't get to them.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
We're still waiting on the rain, the clouds have rolled in and the wind's picked up, but no rain yet.

Crispin's Crispian
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Actually, the CG can't do anything. They can't get to them.
I read that they were going to try again, with help from the AF, but now they're grounded.

They said conditions might allow another attempt...but I suppose they're running out of time.

I wonder how much a huge freighter like that can take.

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I wanna know why the crew didn't mutiny!? I sure would have.

"hey asshole! ~points towards inclimate weather~ There's an f'ink hurricane coming, turn this ship around now, or we're taking over!"

I mean, seriously!

Crispin's Crispian
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I wanna know why the crew didn't mutiny!? I sure would have.

"hey asshole! ~points towards inclimate weather~ There's an f'ink hurricane coming, turn this ship around now, or we're taking over!"

I mean, seriously!
Do we know any of the circumstances of this? I wonder if they were coming off the Mississippi or out of another port and couldn't find anywhere to dock. They thought they could make it out of the path, maybe?

ShadowbaneX
09-12-2008, 04:15 PM

once bitten, twice shy.

Good luck to our Texas friends and try not to have too much fun with the long weekend. ;)

Birgitte
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
... According to the news I'm watching, in San Leon, some people evacuated and left their dogs locked in kennels. The building is going to FLOOD and you lock them up inside. Some firefighters found them and broke them out, but by the time they found them there was water filling the kennels. Those animals were pretty much left to drown. Not even left with the chance to get away from the water by themselves. That is disgusting.

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 05:03 PM
... According to the news I'm watching, in San Leon, some people evacuated and left their dogs locked in kennels. The building is going to FLOOD and you lock them up inside. Some firefighters found them and broke them out, but by the time they found them there was water filling the kennels. Those animals were pretty much left to drown. Not even left with the chance to get away from the water by themselves. That is disgusting.

:( :( :(

Like all the stories from Katrina

Sei'taer
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures/antalina-approachpc-3-5-01.jpg

[Princess Leia gets her first look at the Antalina]
Princess Leia: You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Terez
09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
We started getting a little bit of feeder band action yesterday, but it's picked up a bit today - very gusty with brief spats of lovely tropical rain...and I didn't think we would see anything from this one at all...

Davian93
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
~Praying for Bryan and Gil...hell even Sini.~

Good luck guys and stay safe.

Davian93
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
:( :( :(

Like all the stories from Katrina

Ignorant fucks...dont you realize your dog depends on you for everything.

Sinistrum
09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
What is even better is that they were interviewing a white trash couple gawking at the storm from the Galveston Seawall. The same seawall that was getting waves crashing over it. The best part is that they had their kids with them. Bunch of freakin morons.

Bryan Blaire
09-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Leading edge of the storm got here about thirty mins ago. So far, lots of wind twirling and blowing pretty hard, rain is slashing pretty good against the windows, but nothing flying yet.

Figure about two hours of this, wind will probably pick up a bit more (currently sustained at about 35 to 40, gusting up to about 55-60 would be my guess, from the sound), then a hard wind wall around the eye, which likely will pass over our area. An hour or so within the eye, then hopefully about two hours or so with wind and rain again, though hopefully less dramatic.

We're still safe ATM, thank you for your thoughts and well wishes.

12:29: Thought the power went out, UPS kicked on for everything it is supposed to work for. Only was on for about 30 seconds, then power came back on.

Will try to let you guys know what's going on again in a couple of hours.

tanaww
09-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Take care of my little girl or I will personally kick your ass. Love Tana.

Brita
09-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Take care of my little girl or I will personally kick your ass. Love Tana.

:( Stay safe! And check in soon!

Zaela Sedai
09-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Pops wanted me to relay that all is well but they lost power and wont get it back til at least Tuesday :(

Ishara
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Well seeing as we were hit with a nasty storm last night, I'm really hoping everyone down South is okay - another update maybe?