PDA

View Full Version : AMOL Tour Signing reports

kcf
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
OK, people. The tour is on. I'm sure some of you have been there - what are the details from the Q&A? Your own questions to Brandon? etc.

I suppose that spoilers for AMOL should be in tags for this thread, but whatever the mods feel is best.

Terez
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I was just wondering where the reports have been. All we've gotten has been on Twitter, and really Twitter is a horrible way to do a signing report. We've already seen some garbled stuff from the midnight signing, and the guy who was live-tweeting Minneapolis didn't specify who was answering the questions. He tagged Brandon, but from the context it was clearly Harriet...

Dom
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I was just wondering where the reports have been. All we've gotten has been on Twitter, and really Twitter is a horrible way to do a signing report. We've already seen some garbled stuff from the midnight signing, and the guy who was live-tweeting Minneapolis didn't specify who was answering the questions. He tagged Brandon, but from the context it was clearly Harriet...

I didn't even find them on Twitter. Kept watch on #AMOL and #WOT but got nothing of worth so far.

Terez
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Try @midnightrelease and @grantosan. Bossman said there was lots of video at the midnight release, but I was worried it wouldn't get posted for months. Fortunately I just got word from a friend that he has video. He's having issues with his computer, though...and he's not done reading. In any case, he'll probably get it up soon enough for me. Marie will probably record tonight's Q&A in Chicago (Skokie).

kcf
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
whatever happened to all the live streaming of Q&A. I remember setting that up for the TGS tour back when I was a Storm Leader.

Terez
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I saw a live stream post for the midnight release...after the fact. So apparently it was streamed, but not recorded from the stream.

Dom
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Try @midnightrelease and @grantosan. Bossman said there was lots of video at the midnight release, but I was worried it wouldn't get posted for months. Fortunately I just got word from a friend that he has video. He's having issues with his computer, though...and he's not done reading. In any case, he'll probably get it up soon enough for me. Marie will probably record tonight's Q&A in Chicago (Skokie).

It will be great. I'd hate that we lose any of that or get garbled reports.

For e.g.: apparently Brandon has confirmed all the epilogue, not just the last scene, came from RJ.

But how reliable is this?

Thankfully there's a second branch to the tour. The first days after release are always hectic... we didn't get that many good answers when Brandon/Harriet still consider most of them spoilers...

Terez
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I'll be going to one on Feb. 24 in Birmingham. If I can get my mom to keep her mouth shut I might get to ask some questions, but more likely she'll want to tell Brandon and Harriet my life story or something, and I won't get anything. ;)

Also, we know how reliable the 'whole epilogue' bit is, because we know from Brandon direct that he had to modify all that epilogue stuff RJ left, and we know from Peter that he added at least one scene (Cadsuane). I suspect he was talking about 'the last scene' from what my friend told me; the language was the same as he uses when talking about 'the last scene'.

Isabel
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Inbrandons blog he is referring to the entire epilogue as being rj's. ( with minor tweaks).
Unless minr tweak is adding the cadsuane scene.

Dom
01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
And recently he spoke of "minor tweaks" for RJ's epilogue being essentially language tweaks (suggesting he worked from dictations).

Isabel is referring to this:

nd yet, I'd read the ending. We managed to get it into the final book virtually unchanged, with only a few minor tweaks here and there. The sequence (it is more than one scene) that I am referring to most of the time when I talk about this encompasses the entire epilogue of A Memory of Light. Once you get there, you can know you're reading Robert Jordan's words, though of course there are other scenes scattered through the book that he worked on too.

Oh well... someone will manage to get the details on the changes out of him sooner or later (did he invent Cadsuane's scene, or decided it was the right place to put her resolution from the notes, that "obviously" RJ planned to place it somewhere before the epilogue and didn't specify where, but Brandon decided it fitted better in the epilogue).

It's part of the usual frustrations with tours/Q&A, it often takes several attempts to get something really reliable - that and the fact the same questions already answered are asked again and again. Well, that's expected, just frustrating for hcffs.

This time around we can come up with so many relevant questions and can hope to get good, less evasive answers to some, so it's a bit more frustrating than usual that it takes a few attempts, or that it's already answered reliably and we don't know yet. :)

Terez: make sure to bring something to silence your mom at the right moment, bounds of Air style. :D

Terez
01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the wording there. Brandon has shown himself willing to be extremely misleading, and that statement is still pretty ambiguous. I have no doubt that most of the epilogue was written by RJ, but clearly not all of it was.

sleepinghour
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
We also have Peter (who is probably reading this...hi, Peter!) saying that (http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/78376-luckers-official-non-spoiler-review/page-2):

What Brandon was given from RJ specifically on the last three books was 200 manuscript pages containing some finished scenes (including the final scene) and some summaries of other scenes, some lines of dialogue here and there, some "I might do this, or I might do this," etc. It's definitely not the last 120 pages of the book.

My guess is that RJ wrote the final Rand POV and parts/summaries of the other POVs in the epilogue.

Dom
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
We also have Peter (who is probably reading this...hi, Peter!) saying that (http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/78376-luckers-official-non-spoiler-review/page-2):

My guess is that RJ wrote the final Rand POV and parts/summaries of the other POVs in the epilogue.

Yeah, it sounds likely some of those scenes could go in with only minor tweaks, and others were so succinct descriptions Brandon expanded them to get the final scenes.

E.g. Brandon might have had something like "and as Cadsuane notices Rand leaving, Sitters corner her and tells her they chose her as Amyrlin."

Isabel
01-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I got a reply on FB. I am not able to copy on my ipad, so i post the link.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/brandon-sanderson/its-finally-out/10151216970237219?comment_id=24905300&ref=notif&notif_t=note_reply

The cads scene was brandon. It's not literary said that the fate came from the notes, but it was implied.

Terez
01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
What was implied is that they're not going to tell you if it was in the notes or not.

Isabel
01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Emma: Team Jordan said I could say that Brandon himself wrote the words of that little scene. Brandon is still being closedmouthed about what specifically came from the notes, but in general, Robert Jordan left quite a few notes on where people ended up at the end of the book.

After that I asked:

Thank you, Peter Ahlstrom! I laughed learning about Cads fate. It was something RJ could have come up with.So good job Brandon putting in her implied fate:) Am i right to assume that her implied fate wouldnt have been put in,if the notes say something different?( assuming there were notes on it)

Peter Ahlstrom The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.

:D

fionwe1987
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
What was implied is that they're not going to tell you if it was in the notes or not.
There's this, for what its worth:

Peter Ahlstrom: The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.

Terez
01-10-2013, 12:09 AM
After that I asked:

:D
All that means is that they weren't contradicted. And knowing Peter, you shouldn't read anything more into it than exactly that. As I said, it's not a given from the scene that Cadsuane will become Amyrlin, so if RJ's notes say that she went to retire to her rose gardens, then the scene wouldn't contradict that. If RJ didn't leave any particular notes on what Cadsuane does after the Last Battle at all, still no contradiction.

Isabel
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Yes, if rj didnt leave any notes on who became amyrlin and if he didnt write down cads fate, than it wouldnt be a contradiction.
If she would go to her rose gardens, than yes it would be a contradiction.
Since amyrlin is her implied fate.

Terez
01-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Yes, if rj didnt leave any notes on who became amyrlin and if he didnt write down cads fate, than it wouldnt be a contradiction.
If she would go to her rose gardens, than yes it would be a contradiction.
Since amyrlin is her implied fate.
That's what you said. It's not what Peter said.

The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.
He didn't answer your question so much as he rephrased it into something he was willing to say.

Isabel
01-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Pff, that is your interpretation not mine.

Terez
01-10-2013, 02:53 AM
You can interpret it however you like, but by your logic, Demandred would be Roedran. And clearly that's not true, so it's best to take Peter's words in the proper context. As I said before, it wouldn't particularly surprise me if Cadsuane's "implied fate" was in the notes. But Peter didn't confirm it, no matter what you want to believe. I just had a long email conversation with Peter about Brandon's words concerning the alter ego, so I know what sort of logic Peter uses.

fionwe1987
01-10-2013, 03:26 AM
You can interpret it however you like, but by your logic, Demandred would be Roedran. And clearly that's not true, so it's best to take Peter's words in the proper context. As I said before, it wouldn't particularly surprise me if Cadsuane's "implied fate" was in the notes. But Peter didn't confirm it, no matter what you want to believe. I just had a long email conversation with Peter about Brandon's words concerning the alter ego, so I know what sort of logic Peter uses.
He may not have confirmed it, but I have a hard time believing Sanderson came up with that himself. He could have left us with no words about Cadsuane at all, and no one would have questioned it, given how little we know. Given how little regard he has for the character, I think anything we get about her end is there because the notes indicated it needs to be there.

Terez
01-10-2013, 03:28 AM
He may not have confirmed it, but I have a hard time believing Sanderson came up with that himself.
That's not what we're arguing about.

finnssss
01-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Someone has to ask about Murandy.
It absolutely smells to me that Demandred WAS supposed to be there originally.
I have a funny feeling that this was one of the things that RJ had notes for. Suggesting a change on that front due to it being guessed so heavily.
Maybe it's just me but as much as I actually liked the Sharan introduction and parts, it just felt off to me in the overall picture.

I dunno, I just finished my fast read of the book and maybe I need to wait until after I do a slower re-read along with some heavy looks into Sharan clues in earlier books but this is my first impression.

For the life of me I can not figure out why the Murandians were never mentioned again.

Terez
01-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Eh, the only thing really going for Roedred was Brandon's blabbing about it. The one RJ quote we had suggesting it could be figured out was a paraphrased signing report and so short that it could have been sarcasm. Without the Brandon quotes, we wouldn't have had any real reason to believe that Demandred was posing as a named character. I don't think his presence in Shara was foreshadowed very well at all, but I don't doubt it's what RJ had planned.

Southpaw2012
01-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Some somewhat minor notes of interest in the Skokie, IL book signing Q&A.

Brandon stated that, as we knew before, RJ had the fates of the major characters worked out in the notes but that some had to be done by Brandon based on the current emotional moment of the story and what worked best.

A fan asked who Nakomi was from book 13. Of course, Brandon said RAFO but that there was a clue in AMoL. When I heard this I thought of when Aviendha asked Bair about Nakomi and Bair said it was an old name so I asked Brandon if that was the clue when I was at the signing table and got a RAFO as well. However, he did say that she was in the book for a reason. She was not, and he emphasized it well, not in the series just to be theorized about.

Other than those notes of interest, and they weren't huge, there really wasn't anything new said that we didnt know before.

sleepinghour
01-10-2013, 06:45 AM
I wish they'd just say "sorry, Harriet doesn't want us to tell you who wrote what" instead of giving us Aes Sedai answers that lead people to believe Brandon's scenes were written by RJ.

Dom
01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
)Of course, Brandon said RAFO but that there was a clue in AMoL. When I heard this I thought of when Aviendha asked Bair about Nakomi and Bair said it was an old name so I asked Brandon if that was the clue when I was at the signing table and got a RAFO as well. However, he did say that she was in the book for a reason. She was not, and he emphasized it well, not in the series just to be theorized about.

He'd say that :D

We'll get it out of him in a few months, when he doesn't consider it a spoiler anymore. :P

There are three possible "clues", contradictory.

The straight mention is Bair pondering it's an old name. That goes in the direction of Rhuidean Jenn/a name she's heard in the Glass Columns and similar theories.

Then there's the possibility Nakomi is the old unamed Aiel at the end who tells Rand "yes, it's what you must do". That goes more in the "magical agent of the Creator" and the RW origin of her name as a mother-goddess directions, HoH, someone from old myth the Dreamwalkers remember etc. Stuff Aviendha has not be taught.

Finally, Moridin tells Rand he thinks Cyndane is still interested in revenge over Aviendha. That goes in the "Nakomi was Cyndane" direction.

I can't think of anything else, on first read.

#3 doesn't seem to have a purpose except to entertain idle speculation, since it was not revealed.

#2 seems best to fit Brandon's words. But looking back on the older Q&A and his "games" to mislead us, he's hard to trust anymore when he doesn't give straight answers.

Terez
01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Hero of the Horn is the most likely answer. But it seems pointless if we don't know who she was or what her motivation was (aside from general hero good intentions). Basically Verin is the only answer that will make me happy, but that's been the case since TOM came out. (Before, technically.)

Dom
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Hero of the Horn is the most likely answer. But it seems pointless if we don't know who she was or what her motivation was (aside from general hero good intentions). Basically Verin is the only answer that will make me happy, but that's been the case since TOM came out. (Before, technically.)

Verin is very appealing... but there's several problems with it, timeline wise and not the least that the innate knowledge of the Aiel's ways in the Waste Nakomi demonstrated is beyond what Verin knew of the Aiel and the Wise Ones. The WO didn't reveal to Verin Rhuidean's secrets, and she didn't get out of anyone else who knows about them either. It's another big problem, but the same exists for Cyndane, notably.

There's a way to make it work, but it's a bit loony (it makes Verin the human incarnation of the female half of the Creator, while Rand is the male half. Both facing the Shadow in their own way, both "tainted". Nakomi is how she chose to reappear after she died and regained knowledge of her true nature. It's loony but it does work in a loony kind of way. The big clue linking Nakomi and Verin is that she gave Egwene the dream ter'angreal, which is a straight parallel to the Nakomi myth. Her trip through the Portal Stones with Rand is another clue. It explains her instinctive fascination with the Wise Ones, since it's her HoH archetype. The Nakomi persona would have the same kind of powers and nature Rand has at the end of the story - but she couldn't user them to interfere. All she did was remind Aviendha and Rand it was all about a choice. This plays well on the Verin motifs in the series. I don't know... it's loony a bit. I posted the theory/interpretation in the "after the end" thread - you'll understand better what I have in mind after reading that. It does not touch on Verin at all - it's you who just gave me the idea, but just fit Verin into it as Nakomi, as the human incarnation she was during the series before taking her archetypal Nakomi appearance after Verin's death).

But it's a bit loony, I warn you. :)

Terez
01-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Verin is very appealing... but there's several problems with it, timeline wise and not the least that the innate knowledge of the Aiel's ways in the Waste Nakomi demonstrated is beyond what Verin knew of the Aiel and the Wise Ones.
The implication is that her past life was Aiel. In other words, it's not just a random disguise. And Verin herself knew more about the Aiel from observation than most other wetlanders, by far.

The WO didn't reveal to Verin Rhuidean's secrets, and she didn't get out of anyone else who knows about them either.
She didn't even imply knowledge about Rhuidean's secrets, at least not beyond what Urien told Verin way back in TGH. But even if she had such knowledge, it wouldn't be a problem unless she was still alive at the time of the Aviendha visit.

The timeline is a problem, but considering the recent timeline issues, perhaps not a decisive one.

The big clue linking Nakomi and Verin is that she gave Egwene the dream ter'angreal, which is a straight parallel to the Nakomi myth.
Just because of the moon connection? Or something more specific?

I'll check out your other post now.

finnssss
01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Eh, the only thing really going for Roedred was Brandon's blabbing about it. The one RJ quote we had suggesting it could be figured out was a paraphrased signing report and so short that it could have been sarcasm. Without the Brandon quotes, we wouldn't have had any real reason to believe that Demandred was posing as a named character. I don't think his presence in Shara was foreshadowed very well at all, but I don't doubt it's what RJ had planned.

Oh I'm not suggesting that it wasn't what RJ had planned.
All I'm saying is that I think it was something RJ changed himself late in the series.

Simply...all I want is for someone to ask BS about the omission of Roedred and the Murandians during the Last Battle.

Dom
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
The implication is that her past life was Aiel. In other words, it's not just a random disguise. And Verin herself knew more about the Aiel from observation than most other wetlanders, by far.

Another possibility is that in one of her "alternate lives" she saw during the PS trip through possibilities, she saw herself as Nakomi/an Aiel WO.

it wouldn't be a problem unless she was still alive at the time of the Aviendha visit.

Yeah, I have no problem with Dead Verin as Nakomi/HoH, even less in scenarios that make her an avatar of the female half of the Creator, Rand's complement.

Just because of the moon connection? Or something more specific?

Much more specific: Nakomi is the Moon Goddess who taught the shamans about the Dream and how to enter it, and gave men Dreamcatchers (a charm to protect sleeping people from nightmares).

She's a benevolent version of the moon goddesses that inspired the Lanfear character, the Moon Goddess as "Great Mother", something that Egwene more or less became as a subdued, real world version.

Terez
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Just so you know, I really hate the 'avatar of the Creator' theory. :) That's a good tidbit about Nokomis, though; I've only read the Wikipedia page so I'm probably missing a lot. I'm even more convinced it was Verin now.

Dom
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
All I'm saying is that I think it was something RJ changed himself late in the series.

It's a red herring that was long in preparation.. Goes back to the mid-series or so.

It could be something he came up in reaction to Taimandred, that might have convinced him to play with us some more and give us another red herring to replace the Taim one. I always got the feeling he found his Taim red herring had worked too well and sooner than he expected, that only looking there we were missing his other clues.

Simply...all I want is for someone to ask BS about the omission of Roedred and the Murandians during the Last Battle.

That was foreshadowed somewhere.. something about the Murandians being so self-centered on their own petty rivalries the LB would pass them by.

This was also foreshadowed by the Aiel War. Murandian soldiers and Lords participated (as several Murandians participated in TG... in the Band, as AS, as Asha'man) but the nation didn't pull itself together enough to participate as a Nation. They and Altara (now Seanchan) were the only ones not providing a commander to lead the Alliance of Nations.

That's an idea RJ long had in mind. It's also the nation he made Elaida and Padan Fain come from. RJ depicted the Murandians very negatively. Self-centered, scheming, decadent, obsessed by a race for power, unable to unite, poison as advisors, obessessed with the trappings of power and the easy life and not understanding true leadership, tyrants and manipulators... Fain is the ultimate exaggerated projection of the Murandian themes as Shadar Logoth, Elaida's whole story arc was another projection of the "Murandian national character": shortsighted schemer always dividing to rule, obsessed with gaining power and be seen wielding it, but incapable to lead.

A very good case could be made that Roedran's sudden cunning noted as "out of character" by a few rebel Sisters and Elayne was actually the result of schemes of Elaida - that it's her agents who advised Roedran to hire the Band, that's it's her who pulled her old strings in the Andoran Houses (we know she had those) and with Murandian Houses to try to stop the rebels at the border. The Andoran Houses were perhaps very significantly worried they were caught between the two Tower factions - and if Elaida's E&E had been murmuring in the ears, it's no wonder. She was convinced the rebels would be crushed like rotten watermelons. It's all the more believable that we know it's long been a goal of Elaida to unite Murandy. That he's been caught in one of her webs and has seen her opponents her agents had told him were nothing, that she would crush them and was the true Amyrlin only to see them win would also explain his attitude toward Egwene.

It's a good question for Maria: Were Elaida's schemes behind the "changes" mid-late series in Roedran?

Dom
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Just so you know, I really hate the 'avatar of the Creator' theory. :)

I know :)

I don't like it so much, but whether I like it or not, I can't but see it sort of works as an interpretation.

It all goes back to the Dragon being an avatar of the Great Serpent. That I'm sure is right, the Dragon creature comes from the pre-Wheel Great Serpent cosmology.

It happens to fit all too well with the Jain myth, as you'll see in Campbell.

halo6819
01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Here is my footage from the midnight release Q&A. The audio is kinda spotty in some parts (sitting third row due to the first three being reserved for the first 50 people in line) and its on a crappy flip camera, but hope there is something you guys can use :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkofJDqiXZYqwgUSv_zhwEKECNZZBy2Oi&feature=edit_ok

Terez
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I already started transcribing it. And I posted it on the resources board where I'm trying to keep track of all the interviews coming in. (Not doing so well at that, really.)

kcf
01-10-2013, 12:37 PM
For Cadsuane, I think it's clear that there's no way Sanderson would have kept her alive unless the notes told him too. Sanderson may have written the majority of her epilogue scene, but it's clear from Rand's POV and such that RJ intended her involvment.

My guess is that the notes have her ending with AS approaching her for guidence now that the Amyrlin is dead, implying she should be Amyrlin. Rather than stating she is made Amyrlin - when series lets off, she isn't yet raised.

Davian93
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
For Cadsuane, I think it's clear that there's no way Sanderson would have kept her alive unless the notes told him too. Sanderson may have written the majority of her epilogue scene, but it's clear from Rand's POV and such that RJ intended her involvment.

My guess is that the notes have her ending with AS approaching her for guidence now that the Amyrlin is dead, implying she should be Amyrlin. Rather than stating she is made Amyrlin - when series lets off, she isn't yet raised.

Personally, I think that scene works a lot better if its Nynaeve and not Caddy seeing Rand ride off. Nynaeve was the one that was suspicious about the Harem not acting super sad and it was Nynaeve that needed some sort of closure that she didnt fail to protect Rand (the entire reason she left the Two Rivers in the first place).

It would have been a great bookend to the entire Series for it to be her.

Terez
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't doubt RJ said she survives. I just don't think it's a given that the Amyrlin thing was in the notes. Maybe it was; maybe it wasn't. If it was any more than an implication, then I'd doubt Brandon would put that in there, but the way he wrote it was open-ended so that you could imagine she could weasel her way out of it again. I think he would feel free to do that much whether it was in the notes or not. And I like it whether it was in the notes or not.

finnssss
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't doubt RJ said she survives. I just don't think it's a given that the Amyrlin thing was in the notes. Maybe it was; maybe it wasn't. If it was any more than an implication, then I'd doubt Brandon would put that in there, but the way he wrote it was open-ended so that you could imagine she could weasel her way out of it again. I think he would feel free to do that much whether it was in the notes or not. And I like it whether it was in the notes or not.

Agreed.

finnssss
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
It's a red herring that was long in preparation.. Goes back to the mid-series or so.

It could be something he came up in reaction to Taimandred, that might have convinced him to play with us some more and give us another red herring to replace the Taim one. I always got the feeling he found his Taim red herring had worked too well and sooner than he expected, that only looking there we were missing his other clues.

That was foreshadowed somewhere.. something about the Murandians being so self-centered on their own petty rivalries the LB would pass them by.

This was also foreshadowed by the Aiel War. Murandian soldiers and Lords participated (as several Murandians participated in TG... in the Band, as AS, as Asha'man) but the nation didn't pull itself together enough to participate as a Nation. They and Altara (now Seanchan) were the only ones not providing a commander to lead the Alliance of Nations.

That's an idea RJ long had in mind. It's also the nation he made Elaida and Padan Fain come from. RJ depicted the Murandians very negatively. Self-centered, scheming, decadent, obsessed by a race for power, unable to unite, poison as advisors, obessessed with the trappings of power and the easy life and not understanding true leadership, tyrants and manipulators... Fain is the ultimate exaggerated projection of the Murandian themes as Shadar Logoth, Elaida's whole story arc was another projection of the "Murandian national character": shortsighted schemer always dividing to rule, obsessed with gaining power and be seen wielding it, but incapable to lead.

A very good case could be made that Roedran's sudden cunning noted as "out of character" by a few rebel Sisters and Elayne was actually the result of schemes of Elaida - that it's her agents who advised Roedran to hire the Band, that's it's her who pulled her old strings in the Andoran Houses (we know she had those) and with Murandian Houses to try to stop the rebels at the border. The Andoran Houses were perhaps very significantly worried they were caught between the two Tower factions - and if Elaida's E&E had been murmuring in the ears, it's no wonder. She was convinced the rebels would be crushed like rotten watermelons. It's all the more believable that we know it's long been a goal of Elaida to unite Murandy. That he's been caught in one of her webs and has seen her opponents her agents had told him were nothing, that she would crush them and was the true Amyrlin only to see them win would also explain his attitude toward Egwene.

It's a good question for Maria: Were Elaida's schemes behind the "changes" mid-late series in Roedran?

Yeah, it all makes sense for sure and I guess that's a plausible explanation for why they weren't there.
Not sure I would hang it on Elaida though, it's just not the way she did things. She bullied, she never finessed. It was far, far too subtle for her IMO.
I would have no trouble believing that Demandred was the one behind it. A red herring not just for us but for the other Forsaken and Rand himself, while he built his forces in Shara.

fionwe1987
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure Cadsuane can weasel out of this. The last time they thought of making her Amyrlin, she ran and hid for 10 years. Why? Because once the Hall summons you, it is the law to obey the summons and present yourself to them. And Cadsuane frowns on breaking Tower law for no reason. That's why she hid herself.

This time around, she got cornered before she heard about their plans. I'm fairly certain that was engineered because these Sitters knew how Cadsuane would react if she heard about their plans second hand. Saerin, at the very least, knows what to expect. While we didn't see the official summons on screen, we can bet it will happen, and happen before Cadsuane can hide herself. She's well and truly caught.

Davian93
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure Cadsuane can weasel out of this. The last time they thought of making her Amyrlin, she ran and hid for 10 years. Why? Because once the Hall summons you, it is the law to obey the summons and present yourself to them. And Cadsuane frowns on breaking Tower law for no reason. That's why she hid herself.

This time around, she got cornered before she heard about their plans. I'm fairly certain that was engineered because these Sitters knew how Cadsuane would react if she heard about their plans second hand. Saerin, at the very least, knows what to expect. While we didn't see the official summons on screen, we can bet it will happen, and happen before Cadsuane can hide herself. She's well and truly caught.

Also, the wikipedia summary of aMoL has her ending as Amyrlin. Sorry kids but that's about as official as it gets.

Terez
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Also, the wikipedia summary of aMoL has her ending as Amyrlin. Sorry kids but that's about as official as it gets.
lol.

I find it incredibly easy to imagine her weaseling out of it again. She's Cadsuane; she does what she wants.

Peter Ahlstrom
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
it's best to take Peter's words in the proper context. ... I just had a long email conversation with Peter about Brandon's words concerning the alter ego, so I know what sort of logic Peter uses.

I think Terez has a good handle on me at the moment but if I think that changes in the future I'll let you know. :)

I wish they'd just say "sorry, Harriet doesn't want us to tell you who wrote what"I'm pretty sure Brandon has said more or less this quite often in the past, including at the midnight release Q&A.

I specifically asked Maria to ask Harriet if I could say what I said about the Cadsuane scene, and she said yes.

There were like 4 or 5 people filming the Q&A so I'm sure more versions of it will turn up. The live stream the Memory Keepers were trying to do didn't work for the Q&A; they only got it up and running at the bookstore after the Q&A. I don't know if there's an archive of the stream.

Terez
01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm transcribing it now. I imagine it's similar to what he wrote in his blog post. (Which I admit is misleading.)

suttree
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm transcribing it now. I imagine it's similar to what he wrote in his blog post. (Which I admit is misleading.)

Have any of the reports been transcribed? Thanks as always for diving into that Terez.

Terez
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm working on both the midnight release and the Chicago signing, and I should be getting the audio from Dayton soon. I haven't seen any audio/video for Minneapolis, but @grantosan did a report on Twitter.

halo6819
01-11-2013, 01:24 PM
When Redditor tiffranosauresrex received her book a few weeks early, Sanderson offered to answer some questions for her when she was done:

When I recieved my book a couple of weeks ago, Mr Sanderson offered to answer questions about A Memory of Light to thank me for not revealing anything. I’m posting them here for you people :). Before you all say “Why didn’t you ask _____?!”, when I finished the book, it was late at night and I was extremely overtired from reading all night. This is what came to mind a the time. Also, I didn’t want to pester him with too many questions so I had decided ahead of time to limit myself to 4.
1) Why the decision to leave out the glossary at the end?
Harriet suggested this. She liked the idea of RJ’s words being the last ones in the series, and felt that it was right.
2) What did the other letters Verin sent say?
This is one of those I’d rather not answer, as I wish to leave it to fan discussion.
3) Why didn’t Rand immediately find Matt and put him in charge of the armies?
Rand knew where Mat was (the visions.) Therefore, he knew that Mat was with the Seanchan—so in going to find them, and bring them into the battle, he was doing just that. (To an extent.) Also, he understands that with Mat—unlike Perrin—swooping in and ordering him about is a good way to get Mat going the opposite direction. However, Mat also finds his way to where he needs to be. So, Rand decided to let the Pattern work on Mat, and instead focused on preparing Perrin
4) If you had to think into the future of Randland, what do you picture the remaining heroes doing?
Well, in RJ’s notes, Perrin was to be involved in the Outriggers (which would be the story of Mat and Tuon in Seanchan.) So Perrin would make his way there, eventually. (I don’t know how that would have worked with Perrin’s new obligations.) From here, I stray away from cannon (meaning what RJ wanted) and into my own imaginings. I imagine that Rand went to see the world, becoming like Jain Farstrider. Min joined him, and they saw the world. Avi and Elayne spent decades, maybe centuries, leading their own people before retiring to join the other two.
I'm very satisfied with his answer to the last question. It's basically what I had imagined for Rand myself.

Davian93
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
So despite not being able to Channel, Rand will live for centuries.

Interesting.

kcf
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
So despite not being able to Channel, Rand will live for centuries.

Interesting.

And Min too apparently.

Davian93
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
And Min too apparently.

Yeah, that seems odd.

kcf
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that seems odd.

Personally, I don't put much into this. It's basically Brandon the fan saying what happy ending he'd like to see - the three retired together at the end.

sleepinghour
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
And Min too apparently.

I don't think Brandon meant to imply that, though the BWB claims that "the average life expectancy was between one hundred and fifty and two hundred years" during the AoL because of the use of the Power in health care.

Perrin joining Mat in the Outriggers was an interesting tidbit. I figured RJ would have a few more familiar faces show up, but I thought it'd be Rand and Min.

Here's (http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/16dtvr/mr_sanderson_offered_to_answer_my_questions_after/) a link to the original Reddit post.

Terez
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
That one is in the database. I love it when they don't require transcription. :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Just so you know, I really hate the 'avatar of the Creator' theory. :)

GAH! SO DO I.

Verin, it is Verin. I like the idea she was Aiel in another life and/or saw that in her trip through the portal stones.

That is what I am believing until I hear otherwise. > who has two thumbs and is planting herself firmly in the mud on this? THIS GIRL <

halo6819
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
And Min too apparently.

If Rand gets the benefits of channeling without being a channeler, then I imagine he spends a few decades with Min, she dies, then he spends an equal time with the other two, probably Avi first, and then Elayne.

Res_Ipsa
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I have an important question . . .

Did Tor not do any new bumperstickers this year? At my signing we had only the previous four from the last two books.

halo6819
01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I have an important question . . .

Did Tor not do any new bumperstickers this year? At my signing we had only the previous four from the last two books.

Apparently not, there were only the Bela, Asmodean, and Malkier at the BYU signing.

klye
01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
And... so... yeah... any reports?

Terez
01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
There are a lot of reports at Dragonmount. I'm working on transcripts before I put them in the database, though; there are summaries of things we have audio or video for, so I want to work out what we can get verbatim first.

Luckers
01-18-2013, 04:12 AM

Peter stated to me:
Jim's ending includes Rand looking back and seeing Cadsuane watching him. Brandon wrote the intervening Cadsuane POV. It breaks up the flow a bit, but they determined this was the best way to include what happens in her POV.

I should also say, Rand's epilogue scene is the one Jim wrote in full, but he did leave summaries of where other characters ended up at the end of the book, plus a few lines of dialogue, and that's what Brandon built the last chapter and the rest of the epilogue from. Brandon said most of this in one of the interviews I did of him this week for various sites, so I think it's OK to say here.

I then asked;

Ah k. Does this mean Cadsuane becoming Amyrlin (or being pushed to be Amyrlin) was in Jim's notes?

He replied

I can't answer that.

sleepinghour
01-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Peter stated to me:
I should also say, Rand's epilogue scene is the one Jim wrote in full, but he did leave summaries of where other characters ended up at the end of the book, plus a few lines of dialogue, and that's what Brandon built the last chapter and the rest of the epilogue from. Brandon said most of this in one of the interviews I did of him this week for various sites, so I think it's OK to say here.

That's what I figured... After I finished the book, I wrote to Terez:
One of the biggest disappointments for me was how little of the epilogue felt like RJ. I can believe that RJ wrote the last Rand scene, but the other POVs in the epilogue felt very much like Brandon.

I don't like how their other statements led people to believe RJ wrote the whole thing himself when it was obvious he hadn't. The other POVs were full of Brandonisms, like the use and overuse of certain words (not "tempest" for once, but Brandon's also fond of "insufferable woman/man," "strode," "frowned," etc).

Tuon looked at Mat and frowned. “Where have you been?”
Mat raised his arm, and Tuon frowned, looking upward at nothing. [...]
Tuon frowned. The explosions reflected in her dark eyes.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Personally, I think that scene works a lot better if its Nynaeve and not Caddy seeing Rand ride off. Nynaeve was the one that was suspicious about the Harem not acting super sad and it was Nynaeve that needed some sort of closure that she didnt fail to protect Rand (the entire reason she left the Two Rivers in the first place).

It would have been a great bookend to the entire Series for it to be her.

Sorry for back-tracking on this, but I just re-read the thread and this bit had me thinking.

At first I was a little disappointed in Nyn's "bit" part in the book...not that she wasn't important to the finale, but she was a fav character and I would've liked more direct thoughts from her. As I have let the book settle, and gone back to re-read a bit here, and there, and there...I realized Nyn's arc was actually quite apropo. The two women (mother figures in fact) who fought for Rand, and sometimes against each other, throughout the books were there with him until the end.

My initial jump into fantasy writing was Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy...the Nimue character is actually not the typical evil enchantress of the Arthur legends...she is young, a bit naive. She grows as a character and ends up becoming the trusted advisor to Arthur, while helping Merlin head into the sunset and live the hermit-like life he prefers, all the while allowing the world to believe he is dead.

Rand, by NOT including Nyn in the secret is in fact protecting her and allowing her to move on. Of the original group that set out from the Two Rivers:
Perrin had already moved on...Rand saw that in his relationship with Faile.
Mat had moved on, (Rand's "colors" calling to him during battle and Mat announcing to the wind that he had his own stuff to do).
Egwene had let go of Rand long ago, and in fact was almost an equal in her own right. (OK, OK< not an equal, Egwene haters GO!)

Nynaeve had Lan, yes, but she still was protecting Rand until the end. With the loss of Egwene, Nyn would likely still feel the need to protect or mother Rand in someway. I think Rand, whether intentionally or not, was allowing Nyn to have her own life. He gave her an ending.

halo6819
02-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Hello all,
I just got back from the LA signing, I am currently uploading the Q&A to you tube, it will take an estimated 500 minutes and i started about 1:15 am PST but here is the link http://youtu.be/zDPQ4i1zYxk

Terez wanted me to ask if Perrin's soul and Hoppers are bound, Sanderson replied that she is on the right track and handed me a RAFO card. The person before me asked why Demandred did not use the TP during the last battle. Sanderson said he was wary of the TP and everything that came with it. "He may have been the smartest of all the forsaken for not wanting to use the TP"

I asked Harriet what made Jim want to write fantasy. She said that originally he was against it, but she got him to write a Conan book, and he loved it and kept writing fantasy. So we have her to thank even more then just being an awesome editor.

During my second pass through the line I mentioned I was a redditor and he asked if he ever replied to one of my threads. I had posted a copy of Terez's quote collection of Jordan saying "Three more books" from 1995-2007. He then told the story that Tom told him of RJ pitching the series:

So Jim came and pitched me a trillogy, and he started telling me the story of this boy who is destined to save the world but has to die and gave a quick over view of the first book that ended with the boy pulling a sword that is not a sword from a stone that is not a stone. Now Tom knew that Jim liked to write long and offered him a contract for six books, Jim refused saying it was a trilogy, but Tom convinced him sign for six. He thought he was soooo smart getting Jim to sign for six books at beginning authors royalties, little did he know it would be another eight to finish the series

Also after everyone was done, I hung out with the memory keepers (as i had won a shirt in SLC and blended in) and there where some questions asked about Moridin wanting to die forever, Sanderson said that no he did not get his wish. I asked if Moradin had been on Dragonmount and had the opportunity that Rand had to end it all, would he. Sanderson said yes he would have.

The Memory Keepers where also asked to try and gather a list of the characters we would like to know the fates of and he would pass it along to Maria/Hariet to try and get those answered in the encyclopedia. There is a thread on reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/184ehg/curious_about_what_happened_to_certain_individuals/) for those who have accounts, but i am sure one can be started here as well

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, the Memory Keepers said they would be compiling notes for the next couple days and maybe post a recap within the week.

Edit: the video is now live.

Mimi
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Terez, the tour on Feb 24, which state? Birmingham, Alabama?

Terez
02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Yup. I will be there.

halo6819
02-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but a redditor (http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/18n86l/wot_sequels_from_sanderson_amol_spoilers/) in Toronto asked Brandon what the two sentences of Infinity of Heaven are.

The first is "Perrin is going to Shara to kill an old friend"
And the second is:
"Matt lying in a gutter wearing a tattered cloak"

Terez
02-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, we got them. FYI, Infinity of Heaven was going to be RJ's next series, which would have had nothing to do with WoT.

maacaroni
02-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Oh RJ, it was epic and could have been even more so.

A shame.

epic
02-21-2013, 05:46 PM
So I haven't seen Michael (First among equals for Vancouver) write about the Vancouver signing at all yet. I was one of the Memory Keepers there and got a few things answered, but got more vague answers than anything.

Fields of Merrilor with all the rulers etc was all RJ

Vague as to who Laras was since RJ hinted at being more when she was younger. He said that the forums had pretty much figured it out.

Vague as to Verin's letters other than Mat's. I got the feeling that he didn't have time/forgot about them.

Gave some Mistborn answers as well, but I'll leave those out for now.

Southpaw2012
02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
have there been any more reports since Philly? That was the last one I saw and it wasn't even a report; just some pictures.

Isabel
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
So I haven't seen Michael (First among equals for Vancouver) write about the Vancouver signing at all yet. I was one of the Memory Keepers there and got a few things answered, but got more vague answers than anything.

Fields of Merrilor with all the rulers etc was all RJ

Vague as to who Laras was since RJ hinted at being more when she was younger. He said that the forums had pretty much figured it out.

Vague as to Verin's letters other than Mat's. I got the feeling that he didn't have time/forgot about them.

Gave some Mistborn answers as well, but I'll leave those out for now.

Do you mean RJ wrote the complete merrilor scne? Or was it all in his notes about what hppened? That is a big difference.

Terez
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Brandon has implied elsewhere that it was in the notes, and that not necessarily in too much detail. He has a habit of not making that distinction very well, and I think that's deliberate. But RJ might have written part of it; I'll try to find out more tonight.

Terez
02-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Last signing is tonight. Anyone have questions?

Weird Harold
02-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she someone we would know?

GonzoTheGreat
02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Nakomi is Demandred!

fionwe1987
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Dunno if you can ask these, but here goes:

1) How did the Heroes of the Horn survive the disintegration of Tel'aran'rhiod so well? Even the Dreamwalkers were afraid, and Perrin needed to enter in the flesh, and we know the Heroes aren't as good as powerful Dreamwalkers.

2) Where were the Wise Ones and the Kin?

3) How was Egwene able to sense "a trembling in the North", and other such things about the Pattern? Is this a Talent of hers?

3) What was the number of turned Aiel men in the Town?

4) How come Bryne's dreams were invaded despite his bond to Siuan?

5) Was it actually Egwene talking to Rand after she died? How did her soul achieve that if so?

Terez
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Okay, these are noted. Last call; I'm about to take a shower and then hit the road.

fionwe1987
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Okay, these are noted. Last call; I'm about to take a shower and then hit the road.
I have more since no one else seems to have any:

1) Why didn't the other ta'veren have effects on the world like Rand did, but weaker?

2) Is Egwene Latra Pose reborn?

3) Are any characters we've seen, apart from Birgette and Jain Heroes of the Horn?

4) Is Casdsuane going to unswear the Oaths and retire eventually?

5) Between Moiraine and Nynaeve who figured out the weave needed to take control of Callandor?

6) Does Graendal live long as Avi's slave?

7) Why didn't Egwene detect Gawyn's sickness due to the Rings via her bond to him?

8) Was Rand's final weave to reforge the DO's prison have any similarity to Egwene's Flame of Tar Valon weave? Did he get to see it from outside the Pattern?

9) Does Nynaeve cure the madness in other Asha'man?

10) Why didn't Graendal seek to Compel Tuon?

Terez
02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
I think I have enough questions already; it's a pretty long list with lots of potential for follow-ups, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to ask questions. I have to go through the line once and go back through again, but the first time I go through I'll ask Brandon if I can catch him at the end. I'm #178 so I'm sitting here chilling while the line dwindles down; Harriet is leaving after the first go-through, so I'll go ahead and ask her a question the first time through.

Terez
02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
I have to send my report through Maria before I post it, but I can say which questions were answered.

Do you mean RJ wrote the complete merrilor scne? Or was it all in his notes about what hppened? That is a big difference.
He was much clearer about this with me: RJ wrote the dialogue when Moiraine showed up at Merrilor. I'm guessing it was, like the proposal scene, fairly drafty, because it sure was awkward. That's the only tidbit I'll post because I got the feeling he had said as much many times before, and I'm simply the first to report it verbatim.

Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she someone we would know?
Answered.

3) What was the number of turned Aiel men in the Town?

4) How come Bryne's dreams were invaded despite his bond to Siuan?

5) Was it actually Egwene talking to Rand after she died? How did her soul achieve that if so?
These were all addressed in one way or another.

Terez
02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
So, Trae Cooper sent me his report from Atlanta kind of casually through Facebook, and I grilled him on details so that I can summarize it accurately here. I'll leave out a couple of things that are covered in detail elsewhere (one of them in my report).

Harriet killed Siuan.

Brandon also killed someone significant but he won't say who.

RJ left specific notes that Min's Alivia viewing was supposed to be incidental, and an example of unreliable narrator even in the case of Min's viewings. The Foretelling/dreams about the boat were supposed to be along the same lines.

padfoot89
02-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Harriet killed Siuan.

Huh? Does that mean Siuan was right about the viewing ?

Terez
02-24-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing Harriet made that decision early on, so the whole charade about the viewing was planned.

fionwe1987
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing Harriet made that decision early on, so the whole charade about the viewing was planned.
I wish they'd approached this differently, and had Siuan die in tGS. Have Bryne refuse to go with her, and have her die heroically, buying Gawyn time to escape with Egwene. Would have upped the impact of the Seanchan attack, would have left Bryne with no bond, so Graendal could have compelled him easily. On the whole, it would have worked out better, I think. Siuan didn't have much to do in ToM and aMoL. And I'd rather have seen her die at a time when the impact would have been so much greater.

fionwe1987
02-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I have to send my report through Maria before I post it, but I can say which questions were answered.

He was much clearer about this with me: RJ wrote the dialogue when Moiraine showed up at Merrilor. I'm guessing it was, like the proposal scene, fairly drafty, because it sure was awkward. That's the only tidbit I'll post because I got the feeling he had said as much many times before, and I'm simply the first to report it verbatim.

Answered.

These were all addressed in one way or another.

Any idea when we're going to see these?

Dom
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM

I guess you're right. I already thought that one sounded as a likely candidate for one of those instances where RJ was undecided and wrote down "I could do this, or I could do that, or that" about.

He could have killed Siuan in the rescue, thus making Bryne a dead man walking from that point. It would have made a great option, should he have decided the best way to go was to make the nomination of the GC to lead a battlefield each feel immediately ominous to the readers but not the characters, increasing the reader's feeling of deep need/desire to get Mat back north.

Not such a great avenue to take for the 3-books version, though. Bryne as a dead man walking and still in charge of the WT armies, plus the darkness around Bashere, plus the fact Graendal had previously used Ituralde and the other leaders of the factions/armies in AD much as she would the GC was pretty much way too much foreshadowing to leave to the HCFFs to chew on collectively for years. :D

The way Siuan's death happened gave the feeling RJ had left her exact fate up in the air (I'm not saying he would never have killed her this way, more that it was one of those things that served the mood/tone much more than plot development). I'd be far more surprised to learn that Gawyn's death or Egwene's death or even Birgitte's death were decided by TJ rather than RJ.

Terez
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Any idea when we're going to see these?
Hopefully tomorrow, but I can't make any promises. Maria has to have the ebook errata in by Friday.

maacaroni
02-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Hurry, woman, hurry, I say!

(I'm kidding)

Terez
02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
It's looking like not today. Basically, Maria has a deadline on Friday to get the ebook ready. And I'm also waiting on Brandon to answer a question he forgot...and he just got home from tour, and he's recovering from sickness. Maria has at least written me back.

fionwe1987
03-03-2013, 02:05 PM
It's looking like not today. Basically, Maria has a deadline on Friday to get the ebook ready. And I'm also waiting on Brandon to answer a question he forgot...and he just got home from tour, and he's recovering from sickness. Maria has at least written me back.

Any idea if we'll see it this week?

Terez
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Maria has been both busy and sick. I asked her if I could post it without any MAFOs, since it occurred to me that that was what was holding her up, and she said yes. So, coming.