PDA

View Full Version : The Last Battle (no spoilers)

Oatman
01-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Fuck me, that was the longest chapter of any book I've ever read.

Probably more coments later. Sleep now.

Terez
01-10-2013, 06:49 AM
It was longer than some books, including The Last Battle from the Narnia series.

Heinz
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Yesterday, at my lunch break, I began to read the chapter 'The Last Battle'. I figured 'ok, I'll finish this chapter, then get back to work.' After about 10 pages and nearing the end of my lunch time, I paged ahead, one-by-one, to see how long before the end of the chapter....

...then a few pages by a few pages...

...then a clump of pages...

...chapter title on top right was still 'The Last Battle'...

...finally went to the end of the book and flipped back until the chapter titles returned to 'The Last Battle'.

"Well crap, think I'll have to finish that after work instead."

Karistina
01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Clearly you missed the memo that there was a 50,000 word chapter in AMoL. :-)

Jokeslayer
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I can't decide if I think it was good idea to make that chapter so long. On the one hand, it sort of denied you a convenient place to stop, which helps with a sense of urgency. On the other hand, I could have just stopped at any of the POV switches. So...

salmidach
01-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Probably one of the most engrossing chapters in any book ever.

took me ages to read the chapter, finished it last night at 01:30 in the morning with the knowledge that I was getting back up in 4 hours for work OUCH..

I would absolutely love it if someone would create the battle scenes with arrows depicting the armies with moves and counter moves etc...

GonzoTheGreat
01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Yesterday, at my lunch break, I began to read the chapter 'The Last Battle'. I figured 'ok, I'll finish this chapter, then get back to work.' After about 10 pages and nearing the end of my lunch time, I paged ahead, one-by-one, to see how long before the end of the chapter....

...then a few pages by a few pages...

...then a clump of pages...

...chapter title on top right was still 'The Last Battle'...

...finally went to the end of the book and flipped back until the chapter titles returned to 'The Last Battle'.

"Well crap, think I'll have to finish that after work instead."
If you had started at the beginning of the book, then you might have noticed that on pages 7 and 8 there was a neat listing of all the chapters with their beginning page, with a heading reading "Contents" above it.
Or you might have overlooked that, in your haste to get to the map which was on pages ten and eleven, of course.