PDA

View Full Version : Hey, remember that time... (half spoilers and hints)

Eclipse
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
when the author said, "RAFO?"

as we like to say in my profession...
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!!

anyone remember that scene in Creepshow when that old man was hollering for his cake, then at the end he gets his cake? (kids born in late 80s and the 90's are exempt from that question)
Well, I want my damn cake, i don't care if i have to rip off someone's head and pour frosting on it to get it!

Mat Pawn, anyone?
The T'A'R Pocket, anyone?
The wound to Rand's heel that didn't get Healed, but ceased to be (seriously, i was waiting for a major Sammael reveal).
Asmodean, seriously (again, waited for a huge reversal reveal in this book)?

The list goes on... feel free to add your own personal "rafo...NOTs!" in this thread.

i also read someone posting something about Jordan having a "do not reveal, EVER" list... is this true? the last time i spoke with Sanderson face to face i asked him specifically about getting answers after the series finished. i asked, "after the series is finished, will you be able to answer all of our RAFOs that aren't FO'd after R'ng?" he quite simply, and without hesitation, said, "Yes." obviously this was caveated with, if he actually knew the answer.

Tamyrlin, Matron, we should conference call, or FaceTime, or something. i need to vent. :D

Ieyasu
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
when the author said, "RAFO?"

as we like to say in my profession...
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!!

anyone remember that scene in Creepshow when that old man was hollering for his cake, then at the end he gets his cake? (kids born in late 80s and the 90's are exempt from that question)
Well, I want my damn cake, i don't care if i have to rip off someone's head and pour frosting on it to get it!

Mat Pawn, anyone?
The T'A'R Pocket, anyone?
The wound to Rand's heel that didn't get Healed, but ceased to be (seriously, i was waiting for a major Sammael reveal).
Asmodean, seriously (again, waited for a huge reversal reveal in this book)?

The list goes on... feel free to add your own personal "rafo...NOTs!" in this thread.

i also read someone posting something about Jordan having a "do not reveal, EVER" list... is this true? the last time i spoke with Sanderson face to face i asked him specifically about getting answers after the series finished. i asked, "after the series is finished, will you be able to answer all of our RAFOs that aren't FO'd after R'ng?" he quite simply, and without hesitation, said, "Yes." obviously this was caveated with, if he actually knew the answer.

Tamyrlin, Matron, we should conference call, or FaceTime, or something. i need to vent. :D

A RAFO isn't promised just because you R...
Sometimes the RAFO was just to R and FO that your questions were without merit...like mat pawn... you R and FO there was nothing there... presto!

Eclipse
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
A RAFO isn't promised just because you R...
Sometimes the RAFO was just to R and FO that your questions were without merit...
I don't even know what this means. i swear, there are way too many here thinking they're an English major with a better handle on the language than funk and wagnalls.
RAFO - read, a YOU'LL find out. nothing clever or tricksome from what i can tell. it's not something you might hear from the 'finns. i ask a question, author says rafo, simple enough. i'm baffled over the "promised rafo." do you mean an answer to a question isn't promised just because someone says rafo? kinda makes rafo seem even more pompous, and ridiculously faux mysterious. just say it. man up (or woman, whatever your plumbing). just say, "can't/not going to answer that right now." even Gingrich had the stones to tell a wannabe juvi-journalist he asked a stupid, wasted question about his skivvies, then ignored the question, and went to the next person. tell a dude RAFO, dude's not wrong to believe the person using the expression knows what it means.

fwiw, while my various points of study have never included much of the english language, i speaks me some pretty good 'merican.

and as for MY questions being without merit... my first reaction is to laugh at you, mightily. everyone knows my questions are awesome. my second reaction... meh, i'll keep that to myself. i've been watching a lot of Archer lately.

Tamyrlin, buddy. what's with the Elders today? :D
anyone else remember way back when i used to hide behind my Matron when i wanted to taunt others? am i right? and then Saucy came along and got... well, saucy... and i had to raise the pimp hand... right? what, no? ...i may have dreamed that... whole pimp hand thing. cocaine, it's a hell of a drug.

KyleLitke
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't even know what this means. i swear, there are way too many here thinking they're an English major with a better handle on the language than funk and wagnalls.
RAFO - read, a YOU'LL find out. nothing clever or tricksome from what i can tell. it's not something you might hear from the 'finns. i ask a question, author says rafo, simple enough. i'm baffled over the "promised rafo." do you mean an answer to a question isn't promised just because someone says rafo? kinda makes rafo seem even more pompous, and ridiculously faux mysterious. just say it. man up (or woman, whatever your plumbing). just say, "can't/not going to answer that right now." even Gingrich had the stones to tell a wannabe juvi-journalist he asked a stupid, wasted question about his skivvies, then ignored the question, and went to the next person. tell a dude RAFO, dude's not wrong to believe the person using the expression knows what it means.

fwiw, while my various points of study have never included much of the english language, i speaks me some pretty good 'merican.

and as for MY questions being without merit... my first reaction is to laugh at you, mightily. everyone knows my questions are awesome. my second reaction... meh, i'll keep that to myself. i've been watching a lot of Archer lately.

anyone else remember way back when i used to hide behind my Matron when i wanted to taunt others? am i right? and then Saucy came along and got... well, saucy... and i had to raise the pimp hand... right? what, no? ...i may have dreamed that... whole pimp hand thing. cocaine, it's a hell of a drug.

I'm pretty sure Ieyasu was just saying that RAFO meant "Read and Find Out if your question is answered", not "Read and you WILL Find Out the answer to your question".

Ieyasu
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM

I was following suit in your r and fo syntax that you used in your question to BS... and the 'your' was general, not personal...
to put it simply, sometimes you read and find out that whatever was rafoed wasn't valid. You did read and find out about mat pawn...you found out that that idea/theory. had no merit what so ever... sometimes the lack of answer IS the answer.

EDIT:just because tam doesn't do raising very often doesn't mean I haven't been active here longer than some hero's ;)

Eclipse
01-10-2013, 06:54 PM
You did read and find out about mat pawn...you found out that that idea/theory had no merit what so ever... sometimes the lack of answer IS the answer.
mmm, can't agree with that. by such logic, if anyone had been given a RAFO, and the answer wasn't revealed in the books, they were wasting BS's (and more importantly, their own) time. their questions were "without merit." as i mentioned to Tamyrlin, they could probably write another 800 page book trying to answer all the RAFOs fans have, and still not finish the job. and i'm sure most of us had such assumptions before this last monster ever neared the shelves. but if i, or anyone who's been coming here since before the turn of the millennium, felt our rafo'd questions were without merit, we wouldn't have bothered keeping our greatest Pet Theories alive, or even bothered coming here i suppose.

i would say, aside from our Brown+White approach to the study of the grand yarn that just consumed 22 years of our lives, the sheer volume of college level thesis theories that Theorylanders have been RAFO'd on is what makes us the HCFF we are.

i also submit, my two biggest and favorite theories go all the way back to books 1-3, and BS may not even be aware of the relevance of the theories (i'm not even assuming he is aware the the theories themselves, just the major events behind them). however, the mat pawn could explain the Luck angle that started around book three... just sayin.

Ieyasu
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
mmm, can't agree with that. by such logic, if anyone had been given a RAFO, and the answer wasn't revealed in the books, they were wasting BS's (and more importantly, their own) time. their questions were "without merit." as i mentioned to Tamyrlin, they could probably write another 800 page book trying to answer all the RAFOs fans have, and still not finish the job. and i'm sure most of us had such assumptions before this last monster ever neared the shelves. but if i, or anyone who's been coming here since before the turn of the millennium, felt our rafo'd questions were without merit, we wouldn't have bothered keeping our greatest Pet Theories alive, or even bothered coming here i suppose.

i would say, aside from our Brown+White approach to the study of the grand yarn that just consumed 22 years of our lives, the sheer volume of college level thesis theories that Theorylanders have been RAFO'd on is what makes us the HCFF we are.

i also submit, my two biggest and favorite theories go all the way back to books 1-3, and BS may not even be aware of the relevance of the theories (i'm not even assuming he is aware the the theories themselves, just the major events behind them). however, the mat pawn could explain the Luck angle that started around book three... just sayin.

Some rafos are because if too many false theories are shot down we will figure out the right ones... to keep the mystery alive they rafo false ones... pretty much every single thing you listed we found out...just seems you didn't like the answers (or lack of them) that you found... and yeah I remember b ack in the pre-y2k era...was. pain to submit theories (well get tam to post em anyway)and stupid dial up on base made page loads take a min or two...too bad I couldnt remember my pre-yuku login after I got back from deployment... carriers didn't have internet out to sea back then...and I was more of a lurker too

Eclipse
01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
the only thing i listed that we know for sure (still stupid), is Asmodean. the other three, so far as i know, nada. if you've got the answer to the injured heel riddle from AcoS, i'm all ears, or eyes, whatever. i've been too busy to pay much attention to this series over the past few years. mat pawn was humorously popular once upon a time, so i imagine you may be aware of it (although possibly not all of it; just relying on the title to tell the whole thing for you?). the TAR Pocket is rather obscure, and you knowing that one without reading up on it would downright surprise me.
and it's not about liking or disliking, but about knowing. won't change a thing for me if i'm right or wrong. i'll certainly brag a $#!@-ton if i AM right, but otherwise... :D

Ieyasu
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
the only thing i listed that we know for sure (still stupid), is Asmodean. the other three, so far as i know, nada. if you've got the answer to the injured heel riddle from AcoS, i'm all ears, or eyes, whatever. i've been too busy to pay much attention to this series over the past few years. mat pawn was humorously popular once upon a time, so i imagine you may be aware of it (although possibly not all of it; just relying on the title to tell the whole thing for you?). the TAR Pocket is rather obscure, and you knowing that one without reading up on it would downright surprise me.
and it's not about liking or disliking, but about knowing. won't change a thing for me if i'm right or wrong. i'll certainly brag a $#!@-ton if i AM right, but otherwise... :D

i remember when each and every theory you listed was brand spanking new :)

though i will admit im a bit hazy on the details of the injured heel one...

Tamyrlin
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
EDIT:just because tam doesn't do raising very often doesn't mean I haven't been active here longer than some hero's ;)

True statement.

:)

Eclipse
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Tamyrlin, long time no chat. thought about you the other day when i pulled out that HCFF T-shirt that was too small, even for a little guy like me :D. also, i maintain that BS picked his own favorite murder suspect to answer the Asmodean mystery, rather than use the REAL killer, so if you want to rehash that one in the future, i'm all ears :)

Ieyasu - i remember being the Eldest Youngling for so long, i think i jumped right over Elder to Ancient... or maybe Hero... sooo long ago. but enough of that, we digress. The wounded heel Rand received in Illian in ACoS from Sammael's fire traps. Alanna said Rand wasn't Healed, but he wasn't hurt anymore. the injury disappeared. i'm not aware of that one being resolved yet. so i suspected there had to be a BF incident we didn't understand fully, which would give possibility to more Sammael in the future. there was a lot of BF in Aridhol, along with Mashadar... won't mean much now, but i'd still like to know the logic behind the heel becoming not-injured.

but my two biggest questions, i really really want answers to. BS may have them due to extensive notes from the Creator, but i fear the answers are probably lost. there seemed to be several ideas from the first three books that didn't make it any further in the series. which to me is odd, considering he didn't write like he was worried about too much material...