PDA

View Full Version : A bag of gold

klye
01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
When exactly did rand tell Alivia to get him a bag of coins? And why do so? It doesnt make sense if was before his trip into the pit. He didnt think he was going to live. It also cant be in between his exiting the pit scene and him waking up. He doesn't even know hes in a new body!

So.. yep... I'm confused.

Isabel
01-11-2013, 12:19 AM
It isn't specified in the books. It's probably before heading into the pit.

He was told not to go in expecting to die, so it's probably because of that. But I wish they would have put a sentence a couple of pages later that he talked to Alivia or waving goodbye, or whatever:D

Dom
01-11-2013, 08:56 AM
He was told not to go in expecting to die, so it's probably because of that. But I wish they would have put a sentence a couple of pages later that he talked to Alivia or waving goodbye, or whatever:D

It's pretty solidly implied he arranged it with Alivia beforehand, and made also fairly clear he did that because of Cadsuane's (or was it Moiraine? Can't recall) words to him that he mustn't go in there assuming he'll die. But it's also clear by his "Aelfinn epiphany" when he comes out that he didn't have any clue of the "body switch" - that was his big surprise.

So he ever came out alive after all, he intended to disguise himself and vanish, and it's what he asked Alivia to arrange for him, thinking it's by vanishing with as few people as possible knowing, and those would spread the word he died in the Pit, that'd he'd die.

The words not to just assume he'd die have to be what triggered this, as Rand thought it far more likely he wouldn't come out of there alive. What he asked of Alivia was a "just in case" thing, kind of a compromise to the woman who told him it was wrong to go to the confrontation without any hope of getting out alive.

Coming out of the Pit carrying Moridin still barely alive, Rand realized what he must do to make his "death" work, puzzled out the riddle of the Aelfinn.. and realized there was not one answer, that it was a choice he had to make, that humans aren't puppets of the Wheel.

Terez
01-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I will say this: one of the reasons I have always hated the bodyswap theory is because the mechanism is wishy-washy. And it turned out to be much wishy-washier than I even expected. And what did Alivia have to do with it? Nothing...

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Cadsuane's handpicked team to protect Rand in the end included Alivia.

I saw it as a combination of The Harem 3 and Cadsuane's direction.

klye
01-11-2013, 11:41 AM
So then I guess this hinges on the exact wording of what the aelfin said to rand. Which we do not know right?

Davian93
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
So then I guess this hinges on the exact wording of what the aelfin said to rand. Which we do not know right?

And which we'll likely never know...unless Harriet/Brandon, etc tell us.

Terez
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Maria told Marie that it will be in the Encyclopedia. Eventually Marie will get around to making a report; I'm transcribing the official Q&A right now, so maybe she's waiting on that. But I'm doing like four things at once.

Davian93
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Maria told Marie that it will be in the Encyclopedia. Eventually Marie will get around to making a report; I'm transcribing the official Q&A right now, so maybe she's waiting on that. But I'm doing like four things at once.

Speaking of the Encyclopedia...will the full text of the Dragon's Peace be in there?

That'd be very interesting to see.

Same with the full Karaethon Cycle.

Terez
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure neither exists.

Davian93
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM

That's a shame...the Karaethon Cycle is something I'd have expected him to have a full version of...the Peace maybe not as it was probably just in outline/notes form along the lines of "Rand make them all sign a peace treaty" but the Cycle.

I am disapoint.

Dom
01-11-2013, 12:30 PM

Wasn't there a quote where RJ gave us an approximation of its fictional length and confirmed only the prophecies he needed were written?

Davian93
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Wasn't there a quote where RJ gave us an approximation of its fictional length and confirmed only the prophecies he needed were written?

I has a sad now.

Terez
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Pretty much. (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=67#8)

Marie Curie 7
01-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I'll try to post my report later today. I'm not really waiting on the official Q&A; I'm just slow.