PDA

View Full Version : A few random thoughts about AMoL (Spoilers)

Toss the dice
01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
***(SPOILERS)***

I just wanted to note a few random things after reading the book. This is not an in-depth analysis in any way, as that will probably come from me later.

- The fap-cave. I thought Talmanes' thoughts on this were hilarious, regardless of whether or not he actually had thought of that.

- I was disappointed with the ending. Not how it happened, but that there was extremely little "after" content. I'm not even talking about the lack of clues or stuff about how the world will function or go on after the LB. I was annoyed at the lack of on-screen reunions and the DIALOGUE between people at the end. It just...ended. The whole small scene with Mat returning to Tuon was weak as well, all the way around. It would have been forgiven completely if there actually was MORE after that, with a huge celebration or something, but as far as I remember that's the last we see of Mat and Tuon. And the dialogue was crap.

- Unless I missed it, there was zero on-screen conversation or interaction between Mat and his father. I kept waiting for it, figuring the time was arriving when it was clear that Mat was directly fighting alongside Tam and Abell's group, but it never came. As far as I can remember, the last time Mat interacts with his father on-screen is STILL from early on in the first book. What the hell? Perrin met Haral Luhhan once more (which is awesome in and of itself), even though they interacted a lot in TSR, yet Mat gets no on-screen reunion with his father? I've been waiting for that shit the whole series!

- I loved most of the book, and was pretty impressed by both the writing and content of the fighting in the Last Battle, which comprised most of the book. I can't wait until someone takes it upon themselves (and displays their masochism) of making up a detailed timeline (complete with maps) of the Last Battle and the armies' complete movements. That said, my thoughts are that there was so much of the book devoted to the Last Battle itself, that a small portion of it could easily have been devoted instead to the end, which would have been a better and much more enjoyable and satisfying use of those pages. Still, the Last Battle fighting itself was pretty impressive. It didn't have the micro detail or strength of writing that, say, the Two Rivers campaign in TSR had, but it was good nonetheless.

- I was slightly disappointed at the lack of troop numbers on both sides being noted. Throughout the Last Battle, there was really no decent sense of EXACTLY how many troops were fighting here or there. The numbers were noted a few times, but generally the descriptions just seemed to say "Hey, there's a ton of troops on both sides, but there's many more troops for the Shadow than the Light." That said, I had a feeling that the Light could have brought MILLIONS more troops to the battlefield in the form of the rest of the common people. Why weren't there more gathered for the fighting? Were the rest (or 99.9% of the rest) actually dead already? Wasn't the total population of Randland easily in the tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, or am I wrong?

- Lan was amazing in AMoL. His scenes charging Demandred, killing him, and then getting back up afterward were awesome. Great stuff.

- Did I completely miss Joline?

- As I've already said in this thread, the lack of reunions even throughout the book and the Last Battle itself was less than stellar, let alone afterward. Also, I found Lan and Moiraine's reunion (or lack thereof really) to be stupid and pointless.

- I found it ironic how Siuan ran into Mat's burning command post in order to save him, considering their discussion about burning buildings and flames in the White Tower early in the series.

Dom
01-11-2013, 07:47 PM
can't wait until someone takes it upon themselves (and displays their masochism) of making up a detailed timeline (complete with maps) of the Last Battle and the armies' complete movements.

Well, that's underway, to an extent. No plans to make up a complete timeline, but returning to mapmaking, yeah. The vanilla version of Merrilor (just camps) is fairly advanced.

I've drafted a map of northern Shienar too, from my older one, figuring out more details for the Gap based on new descriptions.

Cairhien I already had in draft state, but it's the whole nation + the city about as detailed as I did Caemlyn/Tear etc. a few years ago, so it's basically at an insane scale ATM (2.5 Gb in photoshop). I'll reduce it to something better manageable, and merge it with eastern Andor.

Then Kandor and the Merrilor battle.

That won't be too soon, and I have to find some help with the military aspects.

Wasn't the total population of Randland easily in the tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, or am I wrong?

Tar Valon and Caemlyn were both in the 500,000 souls range and are the biggest cities, so your higher range is way out of question. Even if each national capital came close to matching Caemlyn/Tar Valon (and the descriptions suggest many do not even come close) that's still be only 10 millions for the big population centers. Looking at 17th century peasants to city dwellers ratios should give us a rough estimation but I vaguely remember a mention that Caemlyn and its immediate area together have something like half the population of Andor. Can't recall if that was canon or pure estimation, though.

David Selig
01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Jordan said when asked that Andor's total population is about 10 mln.

Dom
01-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Jordan said when asked that Andor's total population is about 10 mln.

It's hard to believe that number was reported correctly.

It doesn't sound right for the population centers it has, the biggest of which has either 300,000 to 500,000 depending on the quote used.

RJ has said the pop. density was comparable to 17-18thth Europe stats. 10 million is almost twice the population of England in that century IRRC, while Caemlyn at 300,000 is under half the population of London. And England had several big cities Andor doesn't have to explain its 6-7 million pop., let alone anything comparable to France (which had around 20 million)

The books tell us most of the population is around Caemlyn - and we've seen some of it: it's all town, villages and farms. The south has no big population center, we've seen Elayne travel from there to Caemlyn, and it's all villages and small towns. There's a greater density around Whitebridge - to the south, but between Baerlon and Caemlyn, a large part of the north of the road is empty of people and TR has a very low pop density. North of Caemlyn New Braem is the only sizeable town, we've been told, and we know it's not very big. Even if we put Caemlyn at 500,000, Baerlon, Aringill and Whitebridge are small in comparison (if we go by Rand's comparison, Whitebrdge can fit 20 times in Caemlyn). At best we have a million, and probably less for cities/big towns. I'd have to do the maths, but 9 millions in the countryside seems to give too great a density for farm land, especially by 17th-18th century standards.