PDA

View Full Version : I just got done! Now I have a question...

HeChengWei
01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
After 13 years of reading the Wheel of Time I finally finished A Memory of Light. The book and the ending were better than I could have ever imagined them to be. Every book from now on will be measured by this book's greatness.
First of many questions, perhaps someone knows already? Why didn't Rand go and teach the Tinkers "The Song"? He obviously knew it and if he taught it to them that could have combated the breaking of the world. This is perhaps a better question to ask Brandon but I kept looking for it while reading and never saw it.

kivo
01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
After 13 years of reading the Wheel of Time I finally finished A Memory of Light. The book and the ending were better than I could have ever imagined them to be. Every book from now on will be measured by this book's greatness.
First of many questions, perhaps someone knows already? Why didn't Rand go and teach the Tinkers "The Song"? He obviously knew it and if he taught it to them that could have combated the breaking of the world. This is perhaps a better question to ask Brandon but I kept looking for it while reading and never saw it.

He didn't have time to, but "the Wanderer" might just find his way to the Tinkers post aMoL. The world could use some rebuilding.

HeChengWei
01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
He didn't have time to, but "the Wanderer" might just find his way to the Tinkers post aMoL. The world could use some rebuilding.

That's a good point. I found this on Reddit/r/wot

http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/16dtvr/mr_sanderson_offered_to_answer_my_questions_after/

4) If you had to think into the future of Randland, what do you picture the remaining heroes doing?
Well, in RJís notes, Perrin was to be involved in the Outriggers (which would be the story of Mat and Tuon in Seanchan.) So Perrin would make his way there, eventually. (I donít know how that would have worked with Perrinís new obligations.) From here, I stray away from cannon (meaning what RJ wanted) and into my own imaginings. I imagine that Rand went to see the world, becoming like Jain Farstrider. Min joined him, and they saw the world. Avi and Elayne spent decades, maybe centuries, leading their own people before retiring to join the other two.

So I guess Rand will just go around and will good things to happen the rest of his life?

GonzoTheGreat
01-12-2013, 11:04 AM
There was no "The Song".
The growing simply happened when Rand concentrated on that and was singing at the same time.

Mat recognised the tune that Rand was singing in the meeting with Tuon, and if Mat recognised it, then you can be fairly sure that at some time, a bunch of Tinkers had also heard that song. Thus, it was "The Song".

Terez
01-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Brandon said (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=872#1) it was. (See my footnote.)

KyleLitke
01-12-2013, 11:41 AM
My assumption is Lews Therin knew it (or one of the growing songs where the legend came from anyway).

Dom
01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
So Aiel Singing won't return, the Tuatha'an and Aiel won't merge, no return to the Way etc.

Well... we've got one early Fourth Age parameter settled with that.

missbee
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I've probably got this all wrong, but,
don't you need the Voice to make a song work?

So, LTT/Rand can sing one of the songs and make it work, but the Tinkers, who send their channelers (and therefore probably those who may have the Voice) away, have no chance, even if they knew which song to sing.

Davian93
01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I've probably got this all wrong, but,
don't you need the Voice to make a song work?

So, LTT/Rand can sing one of the songs and make it work, but the Tinkers, who send their channelers (and therefore probably those who may have the Voice) away, have no chance, even if they knew which song to sing.

There might not be a channeling requirement for "the Voice" as it may be a different talent altogether. For example, Ogier dont channel but "Woodsinging" is very clearly related to the Growing Songs/The Song.

missbee
01-13-2013, 05:39 AM
There might not be a channeling requirement for "the Voice" as it may be a different talent altogether. For example, Ogier dont channel but "Woodsinging" is very clearly related to the Growing Songs/The Song.

I guess you're right, especially since Rand managed to make Tuon's garden in Ebou Dar grow without channeling. Yet, at the same time he does equate channeling with singing (AMOL 37)
"Channelers helped create food for everyone"
But then, this is from his 'perfect' vision so it's pretty shaky as a basis for an argument.