PDA

View Full Version : tEotW Prophecys

klye
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Mins Original reading of all the main characters bothers me...

Rands bloody hand - ok - maybe that 's supposed to be him losing a hand. But what about the white rod?

Perrin's tree's all flowering around him, where was that?

How about Mat's laughing face?

And these ALL seem to mark off "big" events for the characters... so what gives?

kamarile
01-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Flowering trees: when Perrin buries his family in tSR, it is under flowering apple trees.

Laughing face: Mat likes having a good time.

Davian93
01-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Perrin's tree's all flowering around him, where was that?

Perrin is the builder of the 3...so it kinda fits from that perspective. flowering civilization and all that crap from his efforts to build his multi-national coalition.

How about Mat's laughing face

Trickster, Gambler...etc?

Rands bloody hand - ok - maybe that 's supposed to be him losing a hand. But what about the white rod?

Maybe him seeing Egwene's death with Vora's Sa'angreal (a white rod) giving him the strength of mind to defeat the Dark One...that was a major turning point in the Last Battle for both him and Egwene.

Davian93
01-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Flowering trees: when Perrin buries his family in tSR, it is under flowering apple trees.

Laughing face: Mat likes having a good time.

Good call on the apple trees...forgot about that one.

professorskar
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
The trees flowering around Perrin could have been Rand growing the great trees at the Field of Merrilor. Granted, it's not actually something Perrin does, but he was there to see it.

kamarile
01-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Good call on the apple trees...forgot about that one.

Every time I see this particular viewing mentioned, people think it has had something to do with Perrin rebuilding Manetheren or finding the Song, but it always seemed obvious to me from my first reading that it refers to the scene where Perrin buries his family. I always liked this interpretation the best, so I'm sticking to it. :)

Terez
01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Yeah, it's always been there as an interpretation...there was just a feeling among fans that it was more end-game stuff, so we were waiting to see if it would be something else. Perrin himself could have ended up under those trees, for example.

Elayne's first viewings come later. What about her red-hot iron and her axe?

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2013, 05:56 AM
That isn't a white rod. The actual words of the prophecy are "a bloody hand and a white-hot iron". Now, the bloody hand part may be a bit inaccurate, but the white-hot iron would suit the Dragon Scepter being melted by Semirhage quite well.

That would probably be Fain, who on a number of occasions was quite a merry fellow.
Or maybe Talmanes, using the Mirror of Mists. Take your pick.

Jek5
01-13-2013, 09:06 AM
I always thought Mat's laughing face was Balthamel's mask that he wore to the Eye of the World. The mask is described as "a perfect face, a young man's face, laughing wildly, laughing insanely, frozen forever." Since Aginor and Balthamel used Mat's dagger to find them, this seems to fit.

I agree that there's no satisfactory explanation for the severed hand and red-hot iron/axe seen around Elayne in TGH. The iron and axe, specifically, was supposed to mean trouble later on.

I suppose if you really wanted to stretch it, the hand could be the Band, and the axe/iron could mean Elayne's conflict with Perrin over the Two Rivers province. The axe and iron could symbolically represent a blacksmith, even though Perrin's appeared as a wolf in pretty much every prophecy ever. Maybe it's just because I waited 15+ years for Elayne to chop off someone's hand, but these explanations seem less than satisfying.

Tollingtoy
01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
I always thought that Elayne's had to do with the amount of times she put herself in harm's way by getting kidnapped

metaphor
01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Elayne's first viewings come later. What about her red-hot iron and her axe?

I always thought those referred to Perrin. The iron because he was a blacksmith, and the axe because, well, he used an axe.
Him carving out a territory in Andor should be a very important event for Elayne.

ShadowbaneX
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
I suppose if you really wanted to stretch it, the hand could be the Band.

That's not a stretch, it's one of my favourite pet theories (http://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=49&theo=230). Granted, it's not fleshed out in any way shape or form, but then, I made that back in '98, so it's allowed to be.

Additionally, given that Mat is taking off with Tuon, the Band could easily wind up in Andor seeing as how they're still under contract and has been rather thoroughly bloodied...as have the armies of Andor.

More than likely Rand's Bloody Hand and Elayne's Severed Hand are two different hands.

Dom
01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

The mask Balthamel wears at the end of the book is a laughing face, and it's pretty iconic as RJ has confirmed he had that mask on when he got sealed.

Mort
01-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I always thought Mat's laughing face was Balthamel's mask that he wore to the Eye of the World. The mask is described as "a perfect face, a young man's face, laughing wildly, laughing insanely, frozen forever." Since Aginor and Balthamel used Mat's dagger to find them, this seems to fit.

Thought of something else. "An old friend, an old enemy" that Aginor talked about Mat, or Mat's dagger in any case. Any thoughts here?