PDA

View Full Version : MoL spoiler evaluation.

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
An update on the quotes thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7551). I was curious to see who got what right. And which we hadn't really gotten right.

I have to say that the quotes were picked a lot better than I had thought while they were handed out. They hardly ever gave real spoilers, yet they were quite interesting to recognise while I was reading the book.

Quote: Day #1 "It had been useful at Maradon. Nobody knew he had it. That was important."
Menthu got it right (post #17).

Quote: Day #2 "'I should like to hear one of your stories. Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara'"?
WSB got this half (post #35).

Quote: Day #3 "'Being married is not so bad, Perrin. Why didn't you tell me it was not so bad? I think I am rather fond of it.'"
WSB again (#77).

Quote: Day #4 "Pass his bond to me."
Gonzo (me) was (half) right (#123).

Quote: Day #5 "'Creator shelter us,' she whispered. Mat scowled. 'You know, that's what Tuon said.'"
No one even came close on this.

Quote: Day #6 "The right thing had always seemed clear to Galad before, but never had it felt as right as this. Those streaks of light were like indicators on a map, arrows pointing his way. The Light itself guided him. It had prepared him, placed him here at this moment."
Gonzo (me, again) in post #209.

Quote: Day #7 "'Nobody travels the Ways,' Ituralde said, aghast."
Res_Ipsa was (mostly) right, #227.

Quote: Day #8 "Egwene strode around a frozen pillar of glass in her dream. It almost looked like a column of light. What did it mean? She could not interpret it."
Cabadrin came very close in post #269.
SBC gets 5%, after her complaint.

Quote: Day #9 "The letter was written in Mat's hand. And, Elayne noticed with amusement, the handwriting was much neater and the spelling much better in this one than the one he'd sent her weeks ago."
Sid was the first one who got this openly wrong (#279).

Quote: Day #10 "'And farewell to you, old friend,' she said to the air. 'Until I dream again.'"
Tsofu got this about 55% right in post #311. Which, I have to say, is bloody amazing.

Quote: Day #11 "'One more thing, the marath'damane . . .'
'I'll deal with those channelers personally,' Mat said. She gawked at him as if he were insane."
Can't remember where this was, so I can't judge how close it was either.

Quote: Day #12 "Enough talk. You will bed me now."
SamJ got this one 120% right (#356).

Quote: Day #13 "'We must spread the word to all of our allies,' Amys said. 'We must not use this weave.'"
Res_Ipsa (#379).
Bonus point to Gonzo (me) for catching the connection to Day 10 quote (#390).

Quote: Day #14 "That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever."
ScoundrelTheToy got the ones involved right in post #405.
No one managed to guess what "that" was, though.

Quote: Day #15 "'It is a simple thing, to stop a man’s heart,' Cadsuane said, arms folded."
David Selig got this half right in #427.

Quote: Day #16 "Do not cut off your foot for fear that a snake will bite it, Perrin Aybara. Do not make a terrible mistake because you fear something that seems worse. This is all I will say on the topic."
WSB, 50% in post #450.
I can't remember where this came from, so I am not sure enough of the other half to award that to anyone.

Quote: Day #17 "It is one of the three things which I will require of you. Your payment, to me, in exchange for my life."
Dom, in #464.

Quote: Day #18 "Fortuona ignored her, standing. 'This woman is my new Soe'feia. Holy woman, she who may not be touched. We have been blessed. Let it be known.'"
No one got this.
Apart from SBC, who gets 80% of this one. See next post.

Quote: Day #19 "'What did you do to your eye?'"
"'A little accident with a corkscrew and thirteen angry innkeepers.'"
No one got this, and I think it was actually better than we'd assumed when we got this spoiler.

Quote: Day #20 "As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-"
NOthing new here. Was already explained by someone who had read the book (see #554).

Quote: Day #21 "And you don't feel a small measure of pride? Egwene asked herself. Rand al'Thor, once simple village boy and your near-betrothed, now the most powerful man in the world? You don't feel proud of what he's done?"
Don't know when this was. Can't be bothered to reread Egwene scenes.

Quote: Day #22 "'Why are you helping me?' Perrin demanded.
"I'm fond of you, Perrin.'"
No one got this.

Quote: Day #23 "'Light burn me,' Rand said. 'You're not him, are you?'"
No one here.

Quote: Day #24 "There were many good years. Good decades, good centuries. We believed we were living in paradise. Perhaps that was our downfall. We wanted our lives to be perfect, so we ignored imperfections. Problems were magnified through inattention, and war might have become inevitable if the Bore hadn't ever been made."
No one figured out that this was the replay to the Day 12 quote.

Quote: Day #25 "'Oh, blood and ashes, no!' Cadsuane said, spinning on them. 'No, no, no.'"
Dom 75% right in #650.

Quote: Day #26 "Uno's topknot danced as he continued to blaspheme."
Can't remember where/when this was.

Quote: Day #27 "'Peaches!' Rand said, aghast. Everyone knew those were poisonous."
I (Gonzo) got it, though only for 80%, I would say, in post #678.

Quote: Day #28 "'But this . . . this isn't about blacksmithing, Perrin . . .'
'Of course it is,' Perrin said. How could Rand not see that?"
No one got this, I think.

Quote: Day #29 "'Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?'
Birgitte grimaced. 'I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.'”
No one got this. No one really bothered, either.

Quote: Day #30 Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.
A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.
No one got this. No one really bothered, either.

Quote: Day 31 He doesn't want to fight in Andor, Elayne thought. He doesn't want to fight alongside me. He wishes the break to be clean.
Tollingtoy, #718.

Quote: Day 32 Rand stiffened. He'd known what he was doing, on some level, but to hear it explained was disconcerting.
No one got this either.

Quote: Day 33 If the end of the Aiel was the sacrifice required for Rand to win, she would make it.
Cabadrin, #756.

Quote: Day 34 What did you do when the One Power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above common folk?
Dom got this for about 30% right, in post #763.

Quote: Day 35 The Blight had consumed the Two Rivers.
Gonzo (me) again (#773), depending a bit on how you define "now".

Quote: Day 36 "Run, Bela," Faile said. "If you've kept any strength back, now is the time to use it. Please. Run, girl. Run."
I'll award this one to Tedman, post #672. Which was before this spoiler appeared, so there's three bonus points too.

Quote: Day 37 I AM THE ONLY HONESTY YOUR WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN.
jarno87, in post #792.

Quote: Day 38 Humankind did not have days remaining, but hours.
No one got this.

Quote: Day 39 They seemed to be cracks into nothingness. They drew the light in, sucked it away. It was as if he was looking at fractures in the nature of reality itself.
No one got this either.

Quote: Day 40 "We'll remember those who fell, and we'll tell our children how we stood when the clouds turned black and the world started to die. We'll tell them we stood shoulder to shoulder, and there was just no space for the Shadow to squeeze through."
Res_Ipsa gets 10% here, for guessing the bloody obvious part right.

Quote: Day 41 They stood at the edge of time itself, and still Thom Merrilin found a smile.
Not sure what there was to get here.

Quote: Day 42 Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, had secretly always wanted to be hasty.
Too obvious.

Quote: Day 43 By the Light, he had a book to finish before he went!
Bonus point to Tedman for getting this one wrong, out of time (#849). No one else even bothered to try.

Quote: Day 44 Rise, and save the world.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Uh. I got #18. Partially,I said Min

GonzoTheGreat
01-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Uh yeah, I sort of seem to have dismissed that post of yours (#665) because you "weren't quite correct" on some spoilers there. Sorry.
So you get:
5% for Quote Day 8. This would have been more, if Cabadrin hadn't been a lot earlier.
80% for Quote Day 18, where you got the reasoning completely wrong. If you'd left that out, then it would have been full marks.