PDA

View Full Version : I read the first book of that Goodkind crap

connabard
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Why was he allowed to write so many books?
I really, really don't want to outright bash an author as I have no writing ability, but, damn.
I was never once surprised the entire book.
I don't know if anyone else has read that book, but even the so-called "dark side" to Richards power of his "rage" was so downplayed. Not even close to the rages Rand had in WoT
Also apparently Goodkind doesn't think his books are fantasy?
What????????

GonzoTheGreat
01-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Ah well, look at it this way: the first book is by far the best in this series.

Demon
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Is every other fantasy series supposed to be similar and or compare to WoT? It is fantasy though. That part just doesnt make sense.

eht slat meit
01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I'll confess to the SoT series being one of my guilty pleasures, though I'd enjoy it far more if the author cut out every single speech that Richard and his disciple Nicci made throughout the books. That might eliminate a book or too, but the remainder makes for some nice gritty fantasy.

Because yeah, I don't have any problem with a fantasy character kicking a serial-killing 16 y/o girl-child in the teeth.

Daekyras
03-06-2013, 07:02 AM
I'll confess to the SoT series being one of my guilty pleasures, though I'd enjoy it far more if the author cut out every single speech that Richard and his disciple Nicci made throughout the books. That might eliminate a book or too, but the remainder makes for some nice gritty fantasy.

Because yeah, I don't have any problem with a fantasy character kicking a serial-killing 16 y/o girl-child in the teeth.

Do you have a problem with the stupid rape scenes?

GonzoTheGreat
03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Those are probably functional.

maacaroni
04-24-2013, 10:52 AM
From Raptor gazes to virtuous goats.
From mutilated child villains to 'will you taste my lardo'.
From weak allusions to Clinton in Soul of the Fire (who dies of some uber-clap disease) to some of the most dreadful 'straw man' arguments throughout all of the book.

Truly, this is the Fantasy version of Atlas Shrugged. Except worse.

ChubbyAiel
06-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I had Goodkind recommended to me by someone at a barbeque the weekend just past. She said it was one of the best books she's ever read, but I've heard lots of bad things about them, including from my brother. I think I'll give the first one a go anyway after I've finished Magician. Judging by the comments I'm reading on here, it could be a decision I'll regret...

eht slat meit
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM

If I recall, there were only three - one a fade-to-black on that King Harold's wife, and two failed ones on Kahlan?