PDA

View Full Version : Give aMoL a Star Rating...

Davian93
01-14-2013, 08:47 AM
From 1 to 4 Stars...

Mort
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Star ratings are hard. Gave it a 3. Overall I liked it. I didn't react as much to the BS scenes that felt weird to many. I went with it.

Like someone said in another thread (and there are soooo many threads!): When done with the book, it feels like you're free after a 20 year long prison sentence. You must feel good about that :) Now I can finally start living my life!

Davian93
01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
I agree that they're hard but its sometimes more interesting to get a quick gut feel for what people thought than a long drawn-out review that goes into a ton of minutia.

Mort
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
The problem arise when someone's rating doesn't correspond to the same rating for someone else.

Are you for instance allowed to have reservations about the book, minor though, and still give a 4? Or Does it have to be a double rainbow of pure awesomeness? :) That's usually the problem I have with a 1-10 rating in any case. What is the differense between a 5-6-7? :) If not specifically stated, it could mean different things to different people.

I gave it a 3/5 on Goodreads by the way. Was thinking of a 4 though. Maybe just because it's the last book. The ending is worth 1 star all on it's own. :) Maybe I actually needed a 1-10 rating there :D

Edit: Changed my Goodreads rating to a 4/5 ;)

Davian93
01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
That's the beauty if a simple rating...you can give it whatever you want regardless of the reasoning that got you there.

Its not meant to be comprehensive....that's what our big written reviews that we've all seemingly posted are for.

Mort
01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
That's the beauty if a simple rating...you can give it whatever you want regardless of the reasoning that got you there.

Its not meant to be comprehensive....that's what our big written reviews that we've all seemingly posted are for.

On Goodreads it has a 4.65 rating btw. Wow. Would be fun to know what the rating average of everyone here would be ;) I'm guessing way lower :)

Davian93
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
On Goodreads it has a 4.65 rating btw. Wow. Would be fun to know what the rating average of everyone here would be ;) I'm guessing way lower :)

I think you'd be surprised. While several of us are ripping certain parts of it, we are in the extreme minority. If I had to rate it on a 5 scale, I'd probably go with a 3. I gave it a 2 out of 4 here because I was pretty disappointed with a bunch of aspects of it but whatever.

There would be a ton of 4s and 5s and only a few 2-3s to drag it down, I bet.

Jokeslayer
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I think you'd be surprised. While several of us are ripping certain parts of it, we are in the extreme minority. If I had to rate it on a 5 scale, I'd probably go with a 3. I gave it a 2 out of 4 here because I was pretty disappointed with a bunch of aspects of it but whatever.

There would be a ton of 4s and 5s and only a few 2-3s to drag it down, I bet.

I was thinking 3/5 but then it's out of 4 (wat) so 2/4. There was nothing it really did spectacularly, the battle with the DO was a bit lame (or, well, the reason Rand couldn't lock him out was), I was disappointed in the Horn (it was epic in TGH as far as I remember, but this time it was not epic), there wasn't enough post-climax. But it was decent enough to do the job, and some parts were very good.

Terez
01-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I was thinking 3/5 but then it's out of 4 (wat)
4 is the default number of poll options. To make it 5 Dav would have had to click something. Too much work.

Davian93
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
4 is the default number of poll options. To make it 5 Dav would have had to click something. Too much work.

I was doing it along the same way movies are rated...which is 4 stars.

But whatever.

Lost One
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I gave it a 3 primarily because I almost never give out the highest marks. The highest are reserved for, as someone said, double rainbow awesome-ness. However, to be more precise, mine would be a 3.8. While some did not like it, I loved the 700 page+ battle. My dislikes mainly were giving Mat a new name.. and Egwena coming up with the anti-balefire.. especially while thinking about what Perrin said. His talking about BF just being a weave is totally out of context for that scene. In TAR, for a sleeping channeler, it is just a weave that a dreamer can disrupt by controling the dream. Put that same channeler in TAR in the flesh, you can think the weave away all you want to, but you are getting zapped.

I don't know, maybe it is going back to the whole balance thing, but it reminded me of HP fighting Valdemort.

fdsaf3
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I was torn between between 2-3 stars, but ultimately I decided 2 was too few and 3 seemed only slightly high.

The criticisms are obvious and don't bear repeating. The same can be said for most of the praise. The reason I went with 3 instead of 2 is that I really found myself appreciating some underlying parallels and connections. Obviously everyone here got caught up on prophecy and what did or did not come true. Blah. There were a lot of really interesting and awesome connections made in the final book to the earlier books. The one that springs to my mind is Faile (a Hunter when we meet her) being entrusted with the Horn. Stuff like that really makes me geek out.

It's a fundamentally flawed book because not enough structure was imposed on the development of the series. You can't really hold the book accountable for that. As a standalone work, it's solid. Flawed, but solid.

DahLliA
01-15-2013, 02:35 PM
3 stars from me.

It was a worthy ending, but some things just didn't feel right.

Ironically many of those were things I would have loved in an Erikson book.

The power of expectation I guess :p

Morsker
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
3 stars from me.

It was a worthy ending, but some things just didn't feel right.

Ironically many of those were things I would have loved in an Erikson book.
Shaisam did feel like something out of a Malazan convergence, especially with the Darkhounds and Lanfear all happening at the same time, converging on one location. Plus "WoooooOooOooo I'm pure evil going to kill everything! .... Oops, I'm dead, that was quick." happens in Malazan about a hundred times.

I gave it 4 stars. It gave closure to an awful lot of things for a single book, and it succeeded in making the Last Battle immense. And I got more little explanations, like where angreals come from, that the DO is evil more than he's destruction, why Slayer has 2 souls, etc., than I was expecting.

DahLliA
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Shaisam did feel like something out of a Malazan convergence, especially with the Darkhounds and Lanfear all happening at the same time, converging on one location. Plus "WoooooOooOooo I'm pure evil going to kill everything! .... Oops, I'm dead, that was quick." happens in Malazan about a hundred times.

Yeah. I would have loved something like that in a Malazan book. Because it just feels so "realistic". Like "shit happens" even to godlike beings of evil.

But I really wanted Fain to be connected to sealing/killing the DO somehow.

On the other hand I really wanted Gawyn to succeed in killing Demandred, because that would just be awesome in a Malazan kind of way.

Guess those two things are a contradiction :p

Terez
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
But I really wanted Fain to be connected to sealing/killing the DO somehow.
A lot of fans wanted the same thing, but a lot of other fans have always argued it would be a boring repeat of the cleansing. There were no prophecies about him so we never had any real reason to suspect he would do anything important aside from maybe causing a distraction.

Khoram
01-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah, well, Fain WAS outside of the Pattern, after all. :rolleyes:

I gave it a 3. It wasn't the best book in the series, but it was an ending to the series. And I enjoyed it. What more can a guy ask for?

The Unreasoner
01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Beggars can't be choosers.

(Unless you have a bronze ring on your little finger)