PDA

View Full Version : The Nature of Slayer

Tollingtoy
01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I suppose I'll post a few lines of some blabber just to make sure that there aren't any spoilers up here where some unsuspecting individual could see them and possibly become exposed to something that they'd rather not know just yet................

..................So anyway, do we actually know the true nature of Slayer? I know that he revealed a bit in the book, but I read kind of fast. Do we actually know why Luc went to the Blight or how their souls were bonded together?

GonzoTheGreat
01-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Luc apparently went because he believed it was necessary. Isam thought that meant that he (whether Luc or Isam isn't clear to me) had to slay the Dragon.

Tollingtoy
01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
The book mentioned something about Isam wanting to learn how to channel, correct? Does that mean that both of them conceivably weren't Darkfriends when they were combined? I know Slayer worked for the DO, but could that mean that they weren't ever Darkfriends?

Crispin's Crispian
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
The book mentioned something about Isam wanting to learn how to channel, correct? Does that mean that both of them conceivably weren't Darkfriends when they were combined? I know Slayer worked for the DO, but could that mean that they weren't ever Darkfriends?

Isam was raised by Darkfriends, and hung out with them (ostensibly) in the town, and was used by the Chosen to do stuff. I'd go ahead and assume he was a Darkfriend, de facto even if he never took any official Darkfriend pledge.

Jalyn
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure Isam had much more choice than the turned channelers. In fact, perhaps less - they can choose to be stilled if they wish.

Hmm. This takes me off to the "Scenes we'd love to see..." thread.

Crispin's Crispian
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Well...maybe. Given how he thinks to himself that he was better than the Forsaken in Tel'aran'rhiod, I think it would have been relatively easy for him to get away.

I'm not sure there's much of an argument for him not being a Darkfriend, in some way.

Jalyn
01-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Well...maybe. Given how he thinks to himself that he was better than the Forsaken in Tel'aran'rhiod, I think it would have been relatively easy for him to get away.

I'm not sure there's much of an argument for him not being a Darkfriend, in some way.

Oh, he was, I'm not talking about as an adult. My point was more that he apparently pretty much raised himself in the middle of a town full of cannible darkfriends surrounded by the Blight, so he couldn't run away. I'm not sure how you get out of that sane, let alone a good person.

Ishara
01-15-2013, 09:14 PM
We have some reason to suspect that Isam's mother Breyan was a Darkfriend before her disappearnce into the Blight. We also know (like Jalyn says above) that after Breyan's disappearance, Isam was left to his own devices in the Town of the Blight.

The Dark Prophecies tell us that Isam was waiting for Luc in the High Passes and we know that after that, they are combined in some way.

I'd agree that there seems to be no way of growing up in that Town without learning to kill or be killed at a very young age. But that sort of contradicts what we know from interview answers of RJ's that Isam was taken and saved from Breyan's presumed fate because he was a politically advantageous pawn. Why go through the trouble of saving him only to let him possibly be killed at any time by those creepy Red-veiled Aiel? Maybe someone was watching over him? Pure speculation.

I'd say that Slayer may not call himself a Darkfriend, but ultimately has no difficulty following the orders of the Dark, going so far as being willing to kill the Dragon Reborn.

As an aside, this thread brought this to mind:

Winter's Heart
CHAPTER: 22 - Out of Thin Air

It really was a pity. He had rather looked forward to killing his nephew and the wench. But if there was time to pass, hunting was always a pleasure. He became Isam. Isam liked killing wolves even more than Luc did.

How would he have known that Rand was the son of his sister?

Crispin's Crispian
01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
As an aside, this thread brought this to mind:

Yes. This is why at first I thought he meant Lan, even though Lan was his cousin, not nephew.

I suppose the Shadow could have interrogated Luc...and Janduin...? Seems like I should know more about this, but I can't remember exactly what we've talked about before.

GonzoTheGreat
01-16-2013, 05:11 AM
But that sort of contradicts what we know from interview answers of RJ's that Isam was taken and saved from Breyan's presumed fate because he was a politically advantageous pawn. Why go through the trouble of saving him only to let him possibly be killed at any time by those creepy Red-veiled Aiel?
Those need not have been simultaneously. It is possible that for the first year, or the first few years, Isam was kept alive as a potential claimant to Malkieri throne. Then, when that was no longer an issue, he was left to fend for himself, and dodge the Samma N'Sei if he wanted to. Until someone realised he could be useful again, at least.

That information may have come from the same Dark Prophecy that send him to that high pass to wait for Luc in the first place.

Terez
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Gitara Moroso was a Darkfriend! ;)

Ishara
01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Those need not have been simultaneously. It is possible that for the first year, or the first few years, Isam was kept alive as a potential claimant to Malkieri throne. Then, when that was no longer an issue, he was left to fend for himself, and dodge the Samma N'Sei if he wanted to. Until someone realised he could be useful again, at least.

That information may have come from the same Dark Prophecy that send him to that high pass to wait for Luc in the first place.

But, the destruction of Malkier would have precluded the need for a potential claimant to the throne, would it not? It doesn't make sense. Plus, who would have been behind all of this? We know that at the time of the Fall of Malkier, none of the Forsaken were alive and pulling strings - right? So who engineered the saving of Isam and his being left to fend for himself in the town?

I don't necessarily think that Isam/ Luc would have known about the specific history of Rand's parentage (enough to connect a face to a name, at least) from a Prophecy...

Gitara Moroso was a Darkfriend! ;)

Okay, say she was. Her actions led to the birth and eventual destruction of the forces of the Dark One. Epic fail for her, eh?

But really, you think that Gitara told Luc that he needed to go to the Blight and that she knew to tell Luc that his sister's unborn son would be Rand and the Dragon Reborn? Am confused.