PDA

View Full Version : Gateways, the ultimate weapon?

Cortar
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Now, I don't mean for moving troops or other typical uses such as that...

First, let me make sure my understanding of how weaves work is correct. If I weave a fireball to unleash on my opponent, I have to form the weave close to me, then "shoot" the fireball out, correct? However, if I wanted to, I could form the fireball weave at that opponents spot, but he could cut my weaves as they had to "travel" to his location before they actually formed the fireball.

So then, couldn't I form a gateway weave very close to me, so my opponent couldn't disrupt it or cut it off, and have the other end open up into the middle of his or her body? This would prevent him or her from having much time to react or stop it from happening.

mogi67
01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that's true. There seemed to be more "cutting weaves" out of the air in AMoL than in any other book prior. With Nyn's duel with Moggy in TSR we were given a much more detailed explanation of what was going on, but it seems to be almost effortless the way that BS describes it.

Terez
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Please be careful of AMOL spoilers (of any kind) on this forum.

WinespringBrother
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Now, I don't mean for moving troops or other typical uses such as that...

First, let me make sure my understanding of how weaves work is correct. If I weave a fireball to unleash on my opponent, I have to form the weave close to me, then "shoot" the fireball out, correct? However, if I wanted to, I could form the fireball weave at that opponents spot, but he could cut my weaves as they had to "travel" to his location before they actually formed the fireball.

So then, couldn't I form a gateway weave very close to me, so my opponent couldn't disrupt it or cut it off, and have the other end open up into the middle of his or her body? This would prevent him or her from having much time to react or stop it from happening.

If you like, I can move this thread to the AMOL forum to deal with potential spoiler issues for this topic, then you can discuss AMOL topics related to this.

Cortar
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
If you like, I can move this thread to the AMOL forum to deal with potential spoiler issues for this topic, then you can discuss AMOL topics related to this.

Okay, sorry if the topic was spoilerish. I thought it was a more general topic that could have been done before AMOL but it won't be a problem to discuss it there.

Marie Curie 7
01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Okay, sorry if the topic was spoilerish. I thought it was a more general topic that could have been done before AMOL but it won't be a problem to discuss it there.

Okay, thread is moved. Spoil away.

Casabamelon
01-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Yes, gateways, when properly used, provide an immense tactical advantage.

Why go into battle when you can open a gateway above the battle field and launch weaves through?

If the light-siders took a page from the Sharan playbook and made a full circle, they could use a giant gateway to effectively block off shadowspawn.

The most frustrating part of all of this gateway talk, though, is that some pretty cool and innovative uses of gateways showed up in this book..... and were used once.

My mother used a gateway once.

Once.

GonzoTheGreat
01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
I guess my description, not my idea, was faulty:
Gonzo: I asked a question about using gateways as cannons, but I am not certain I made clear what I had in mind, so this is not completely shot down yet.
RJ: You couldn't do it that way. Not the way you describe it, I think.
Of course, when I came up with my idea, Aludra hadn't built her dragons yet.

eht slat meit
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
For best results, open underneath enemy ships and deposit said ship and a good chunk of the ocean on the enemy army of your choosing.