PDA

View Full Version : Brandon killed off... (Spoilers)

klye
01-17-2013, 12:07 AM
... a character in AMoL at Harriet's behest. This same character was going to survive in his earlier drafts. Any idea who it was?

jana
01-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Bela

Morsker
01-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Do we know why Harriet decided Bela should die? I thought it was symbolic of how Robert Jordan didn't make it through the end of the series either. But I can also see the reason being more mundane; there weren't enough major character deaths to really make the Last Battle seem terrible. Adding Bela certainly helps.

fionwe1987
01-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Do we know why Harriet decided Bela should die? I thought it was symbolic of how Robert Jordan didn't make it through the end of the series either. But I can also see the reason being more mundane; there weren't enough major character deaths to really make the Last Battle seem terrible. Adding Bela certainly helps.
She died because Egwene was going to die. What happens to Bela before Egwene's major transition moments ends up mirroring or giving clues to us about what will happen to Egwene.

As I understand it, Brandon wanted to save Bela, but Harriet insisted that it shouldn't happen. I think her death was in the notes.

Davian93
01-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Bela died because she was Rand's ex-horse...and thus got treated as all ex's should get treated.

Terez
01-17-2013, 08:35 AM
From the horse's mouth. (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=874#11)

maacaroni
01-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Jeeez. That is a truly terrible pun.

Terez
01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Couldn't pass on it, especially since people were just making stuff up.

Ishara
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Truthfully, killing Loial would have been far more representative of that than Bela. But it was still impactful, and sad.

GonzoTheGreat
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
From the AMoL spoilers thread:
Day #13 "'We must spread the word to all of our allies,' Amys said. 'We must not use this weave.'"
That, as we now know, referred to Belafire. So it is obvious that Bela couldn't survive; if she had, the Pattern would have been destroyed.

klye
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM

First, I've been a lurker for... ten years? More? I remember when this place was created. It was moved from somewhere else (Asmodean Den? Or something?)

Anyway... thank you so much terez for the time you spent on the WOT resource. You made the experience much more interesting.

Terez
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
It is my pleasure. When I was a noob, the interview quotes annoyed the everloving crap out of me because you just couldn't have a debate if you didn't know them; someone was always referencing some RJ quote which might or might not have actually existed, and the quotes that did exist were in a hundred different places and sometimes not sourced. It drove me nuts.

Morsker
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
That, as we now know, referred to Belafire. So it is obvious that Bela couldn't survive; if she had, the Pattern would have been destroyed.
Maybe you have it backwards. Egwene's new weave is Belafire, and Bela had to die and merge with the Pattern so that Egwene could channel her power against Taim.

It is my pleasure. When I was a noob, the interview quotes annoyed the everloving crap out of me because you just couldn't have a debate if you didn't know them; someone was always referencing some RJ quote which might or might not have actually existed, and the quotes that did exist were in a hundred different places and sometimes not sourced. It drove me nuts.
Is there any way to "subscribe" to new additions, or say "Give me everything since January 10," etc? 15 years ago I had no problems reading each new interview as it came out, since it was a big event and there'd be a whole thread discussing it. But these days there are new factoids coming out continuously and I miss stuff all the time. :confused:

Terez
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Is there any way to "subscribe" to new additions, or say "Give me everything since January 10," etc?
You can't subscribe, but the listing is in reverse-chronological order. You just have to be diligent to not miss stuff because sometimes we add something from a month or two before because it took a while to transcribe it. I'm prioritizing the tour at the moment, but then I have to go back and transcribe a few older things like the NPR interviews. I also try to tweet these things.

Davian93
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
You can't subscribe, but the listing is in reverse-chronological order. You just have to be diligent to not miss stuff because sometimes we add something from a month or two before because it took a while to transcribe it. I'm prioritizing the tour at the moment, but then I have to go back and transcribe a few older things like the NPR interviews. I also try to tweet these things.

That's why you need to go purchase Sharepoint and then upload it all to it...then we can all subscribe...too easy.

Terez
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Talk to bossman.

probe907
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
From the horse's mouth. (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=874#11):)
Hitchcock on puns. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5g86nhWK4)

Casabamelon
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
:)
Hitchcock on puns. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5g86nhWK4)

Stop beating a dead horse.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Ok, enough Bela jokes. For some reason she was a heart-string puller through the whole series.

Just quit horsing around, at least on the Mane boards.

Ivhon
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Ok, enough Bela jokes. For some reason she was a heart-string puller through the whole series.

She really was the glue that held so much of the story together.

Lost One
01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Stop it.. you guys are terrible..! (As I keep cracking up) So who thinks that the Trollocs had some Bela Stew?

BTW.. since we are talking about the horses.. what happened to Aldieb after Moraine went through the Gateway?

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure those puns are really behooving.

Terez
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
BTW.. since we are talking about the horses.. what happened to Aldieb after Moraine went through the Gateway?
From the alpha horse's mouth. (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=7#3)

Davian93
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

http://pichars.org/store/4686_original_tumblr_lnsl81kUny1qdftgdo1_500.jpg

Davian93
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
She really was the glue that held so much of the story together.

You really have a knack for coming up with these puns.

Rand al'Fain
01-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Quite bing such a nag, okay?

Ivhon
01-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Been a while since I posted any funny bits. Good to be back in the saddle.

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Don't spur them on.

Davian93
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Per an interview quote (IIRC), she's safely in the royal stables in Cairhien...and has been since Moiraine disappeared.

Here you go:

Interview: Jul 19th, 2005
Week 3 Question
After Moiraine fought Lanfear in Cairhien, what happened to the wagons full of ter'angreal and such that came out of the Aiel Waste? Are they just in some storeroom there? And what happened to Moiraine's horse Aldieb?
Robert Jordan
The ter'angreal and so forth that came from Rhuidean are still in Cairhien for the moment, warded by Rand so they aren't accessible to anyone but him. Aldieb is in the stables at the Sun Palace.

Lost One
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Per an interview quote (IIRC), she's safely in the royal stables in Cairhien...and has been since Moiraine disappeared.

Here you go:

Thanks Davion

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
I just realized, Nae'blis and Neigh'Bliss both died. :: sniffle :: coincidence? I think we have our answer...Bela WAS the avatar of the Creator.

damn you, Harriet! DAMN YOU!

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2013, 05:29 AM
I just realized, Nae'blis and Neigh'Bliss both died. :: sniffle :: coincidence? I think we have our answer...Bela WAS the avatar of the Creator.
That actually explains what happened to Shaidar Haran: that one was subsumed into Bela. And it also explains why SH was an aberrant Fade: all the others are male, but SH was female.

Terez
01-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Which makes the punishment of the female Forsaken all the more humiliating. Raped by a Fade wearing a strap-on...

Sei'taer
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Been a while since I posted any funny bits. Good to be back in the saddle.

Neigh,neigh,neigh, I say, Neigh!!! It wasn't all that funny.