PDA

View Full Version : Question/Thought on the Pattern - spoilers

Davian93
01-18-2013, 08:11 AM
So, here's something that just occurred to me...

filler, filler, filler, filler...

For several books now, the Pattern has been weakening and its led to some interesting changes like whole parts of the White Tower moving and hallways/rooms changing in various palaces. Now that Rand has reimprisoned the Dark One and the Pattern has been repaired with no Bore present, does all of that revert back to its previous correct state? Or does it stay like that because it was woven (however incorrectly) that way as a result of the DO's presence.

My initial thought is that it'd revert given that the DO's influence is completely gone now (like the Blight disappearing) but what is everyone's thoughts?

maacaroni
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Revert. The pattern is fixed and all is right in the world.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Not revert, exactly, but repair. I think. The pattern is no longer influenced by something Outside and will therefore continue toweave itself however it wants. Which will probably mean repairing the damage done - eh, not in the past tense but in the geographical sense - and returning to the state before the influence of the DO warped it.

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Does that mean that the peddler who sank into the ground will be spit out again?

I don't expect such repairs to happen. I think that the Pattern would now go on without further major shifts (until the end of the Fourth Age, at least), but the Breaking that was foretold won't be undone.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Does that mean that the peddler who sank into the ground will be spit out again?

I don't expect such repairs to happen. I think that the Pattern would now go on without further major shifts (until the end of the Fourth Age, at least), but the Breaking that was foretold won't be undone.

that's kind of what I meant by not past tense but geographically. So, all that happened, happened and will remain in the pattern... But slowly the damaged geographical areas (=the Blight) will return to their "normal" state. The weather will get back to normal, Saidin will remain cleansed etc. I think the Shadow's influence may be repaired slowly, but the effects of the LB may still remain... like, a huge field of crystal that'll slowly erode, or soemthing like that.

fionwe1987
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
that's kind of what I meant by not past tense but geographically. So, all that happened, happened and will remain in the pattern... But slowly the damaged geographical areas (=the Blight) will return to their "normal" state. The weather will get back to normal, Saidin will remain cleansed etc. I think the Shadow's influence may be repaired slowly, but the effects of the LB may still remain... like, a huge field of crystal that'll slowly erode, or soemthing like that.

I agree. We see that trees are growing in the Blight, but it didn't turn into a lush forest in one go.

The physical wounds to the Pattern will heal, but slowly.

Incidentally, the field of crystal is gone. Major earthquake brought down the Polov Heights. I wonder if Egwene's crystal tower still stands, though.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I imagine it's something similar to our world: during the last Ice Age, the ice was so thick, it pressed the Earth's crust down, and in some locations the Earth is still coming back from that "artificial" dip, tens of thousands of years after the ice melted.

Ishara
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
What about the people of Hinderstap?

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2013, 12:08 PM
What about the people of Hinderstap?
They're probably still stuck killing each other every night.

Rand al'Fain
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
They're probably still stuck killing each other every night.

Well, they did prove invaluable at the dam. You know, having a battalion of people that can never really die.

But I imagine that once the Dark One was defeated, the cycle ended.

Davian93
01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Well, they did prove invaluable at the dam. You know, having a battalion of people that can never really die.

But I imagine that once the Dark One was defeated, the cycle ended.

It would be ironic if that when they died that final time at Merrilor, that they stayed dead....assuming they were killed again once Grady reopened the gateway...I cant quite recall one way or the other.

Tollingtoy
01-19-2013, 11:31 AM
If you were actually weaving lace and some of it got damaged because your loom was acting very chaotic (being touched by the DO), the bad lace you wove wouldn't magically weave itself back together just because the loom is fixed

Things that happened in the past aren't changed just because of actions in the future, unless you are using balefire and that only happens because the actual thread in the pattern is burned away