PDA

View Full Version : The elephant in the room, what happens now?

Rand al'Fain
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM
The end to the epic series has come and gone, a series that has lasted about 20 years and 2 authors (with some notes left behind by RJ), but what happens with this forum? Do we continue to ponder and wonder what happens to the characters that we spent 14 (15, in a few cases) books learning about and getting to know? Do we move on to some other series? Or, in the extreme off chance, are the outriggers composed and everything continues?

Thoughts?

eht slat meit
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Thoughts?

I reckon this shambling beast has at least a few years of life left in it, whenever the tours and outlying dictionaries end, dispelling whatever mysteries remain.

Of course, there's also a lot to be said for a discussion of what comes after, not just here, but post-TG. After all, no more books to limit the meanderings of the imagination!

fdsaf3
01-18-2013, 10:27 PM
I suspect we'll argue about the philosophical nature and limits of Rand's ability to shape events in the world. Maybe a few flare ups of discussing the mechanics of how he swapped bodies with Moridin. Probably the most extensive discussion in the near future will be about disappointments that X story line or character didn't get "proper resolution" - whatever that is.

After that...who knows.

Demon
01-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I really just want to know about Rand's new abilities. Definitely looking forward to the new encyclopedia.

Davian93
01-19-2013, 07:44 AM
We bring back the Buffy forums and discuss that instead...

Cortar
01-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Since everyone loves Sanderson soooo much, lets turn this forum into a Stormlight Archive discussion forum!!!

Davian93
01-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Since everyone loves Sanderson soooo much, lets turn this forum into a Stormlight Archive discussion forum!!!

I actually really liked the first Stormlight book...and am looking forward to the next one.

Cortar
01-19-2013, 08:15 AM
I actually really liked the first Stormlight book...and am looking forward to the next one.

I am too. But I haven't seen too many nice things said about BS's writing here...

Fourth Age Historian
01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Definitely looking forward to the new encyclopedia.

Is that a confirmed thing? I must have this!

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Tam told me he plans on changing this to a Danielle Steele forum.

Davian93
01-19-2013, 11:08 AM

About time...I've been asking for that for a good 8-9 years now.

Davian93
01-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes, it is confirmed and it will be out at some point in the next couple years. Harriet & Co are editing it from RJ's notes.

Demon
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM

I did too. One of my favorite fantasy books.

Mort
01-19-2013, 12:17 PM

Oh good, we can start following Felicia Day and her Vaginal Fantasy Hangout and discuss chick-lit all day. Yay... ? ;)

fdsaf3
01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh good, we can start following Felicia Day and her Vaginal Fantasy Hangout and discuss chick-lit all day. Yay... ? ;)

If I remember right, the 50 Shades of Gray thread in Non reached 10+ pages. Clearly there's an overlap of interest between Wheel of Time and chick lit.

Isabel
01-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Than we should start to discuss laurell k hamilton. Much better than 50 shades.

Infidel
01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I want to delve into the phenomenal talent of the most gifted actress since Meryl Streep, Kristen Stewart.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
I want to delve into the phenomenal talent of the most gifted actress since Meryl Streep, Kristen Stewart.

Geez you have the guerrilla HCFF annual posting thing DOWN!!!

I am too lazy to rep you for this old man

Marie Curie 7
01-19-2013, 04:06 PM

To follow up on what Davian said, Harriet signed a contract to produce an encyclopedia before RJ passed away. At JordanCon two years ago, Harriet indicated that they would have about a year after AMoL came out to turn in the manuscript for the encyclopedia:

Interview: Apr 16th, 2011
JordanCon AMOL Status Report - Marie Curie (Verbatim) (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=603#12)

Question:
It may be a little early to ask about the encyclopedia, but at last year's DragonCon in closing panels, you all talked about it, you all gathered audience participation. Any comments on what the progress or what you all are looking at doing with this, as far as back history maps and whatnot?

Alan Romanczuk:
Yeah, you know, we're progressing on it. We've decided on a format. We've decided on a lot of the things it's going to contain. It will be alphabetical. It will be very accessible. It will have a lot of things in it that you won't find anywhere else, including some of Jim's notes or selections from his notes. Because there's a lot that, not a lot, but there'll be some that is not possible to tell in the books, and Jim never intended to be in the books, but for his own knowledge of the characters and situations, he felt important to put down in writing. It could be a very large volume.

Harriet McDougal Rigney:
I think it will be. By its nature, actually, Alan, you said it would be out a year after the last book. We have a year after the last book is finished to finish the encyclopedia, for obvious reasons. You can't have an encyclopedia of the series without including all the stuff that should be in there from the final book. So it will probably be a year after delivery of the manuscript before we deliver that manuscript. It will be a little longer.

And that seems still to be about right regarding the timing, based on what Harriet again said at the AMOL signing in Charleston last weekend:

Interview: Jan 12th, 2013
AMOL Signing Report - Christine (Paraphrased) (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=885#16)

Question:
What do you like most and least working on the novels?

Brandon Sanderson:
Liked Perrin, and misses writing some of the PoVs. Had to constantly research things to make certain it was accurate, but won't miss fulfilling everything that was foreshadowed...lots of the foreshadowing will be mentioned in the encyclopedia in a year and a half.

Harriet McDougal:
Two years.

So the encyclopedia likely won't be out for about two years. It's going to be big, though, and Harriet hopes that there will be a disc to go along with it. It will include a complete dictionary of the Old Tongue (nearly 1000 words), the One Power strength scale for Aes Sedai, and lots of other stuff. Check the "encyclopedia" tag in the Interview Database for more hints about some of the stuff that might be included.

Rand al'Fain
01-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Forshadowing? I admit, that got my attention.

Enigma
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Close to two years seems a long time from a commercial point of view. I think it can be taken as read that quite a few of the members of this site will be buying it when ever it comes out and I know it makes sense to take the time to do it right. Saying that not every reader is quite as hard core as we are and if they wait too long after TMoL is finished more casual readers may have moved on to other authors/books. There is the paperback release as well and that will take several months but I wonder how long after that will the powers that be at Tor want to wait commercially?

Davian93
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Close to two years seems a long time from a commercial point of view. I think it can be taken as read that quite a few of the members of this site will be buying it when ever it comes out and I know it makes sense to take the time to do it right. Saying that not every reader is quite as hard core as we are and if they wait too long after TMoL is finished more casual readers may have moved on to other authors/books. There is the paperback release as well and that will take several months but I wonder how long after that will the powers that be at Tor want to wait commercially?

Coinciding with the aMoL paperback would likely be ideal...as 2 years is a pretty long wait.

I wonder what the price point will be .

Daekyras
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
ah dav, we both know that if the quality is right, the price will not matter.

It's the quality i'm concerned with. I'm sure a lot of people on here have come across other encyclopediae for fantasy series (middle earth, mesteroos, midkemia, krynn etc) and they can be hit and miss. i trust harriet and co. to do it right but theres always that little sense of doubt....

Also, after all the talk is over we could turn this into a goodkind forum- he's even more beloved that brandon!

Actually, we should start a petition to have goodkind write the two prequels and the outriggers....

Davian93
01-19-2013, 08:24 PM
ah dav, we both know that if the quality is right, the price will not matter.

It's the quality i'm concerned with. I'm sure a lot of people on here have come across other encyclopediae for fantasy series (middle earth, mesteroos, midkemia, krynn etc) and they can be hit and miss. i trust harriet and co. to do it right but theres always that little sense of doubt....

Also, after all the talk is over we could turn this into a goodkind forum- he's even more beloved that brandon!

Actually, we should start a petition to have goodkind write the two prequels and the outriggers....

Oh, it won't affect my decision to buy it, I'm just curious. I'm guessing something like $50 and I'm completely okay with that if its the case.

As for Goodkind, i just ate a bunch of Mexican food so I could cut up some copies of Atlas Shrugged and eat that and take a picture of my toilet tomorrow morning and then post it for you. It'd pretty much sum up his collected works without the need for a forum.

kivo
01-19-2013, 08:35 PM
The end to the epic series has come and gone, a series that has lasted about 20 years and 2 authors (with some notes left behind by RJ), but what happens with this forum? Do we continue to ponder and wonder what happens to the characters that we spent 14 (15, in a few cases) books learning about and getting to know? Do we move on to some other series? Or, in the extreme off chance, are the outriggers composed and everything continues?

Thoughts?

Now that the series proper is finished perhaps some activity in other media will kick up. Perhaps Universal finally gets the film going now that they'll see how many books A Memory of Light sells. Maybe Shotime acquires the rights to make it their answer to Game of Thrones. Maybe Disney snaps it up for their own Lord of the Rings to supplement their collection of superheroes (Marvel) and space fantasy (Star Wars).... (though technically they own Willow too now fwiw lol).

Maybe some of the outriggers could take form in other media. Would be cool to see the series live on, and maybe Harriet would feel better about that if it weren't in book form.

Fourth Age Historian
01-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Very excited to hear the details of the new Encyclopedia...

I'm sure there's still much to discuss about this series; just because it's over doesn't mean it's OVER, right? Plenty of debatable topics remain.

I mean, I had posted here like twice before aMOL came out, and have already flooded the board with my nonsense the last few days.

Daekyras
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Very excited to hear the details of the new Encyclopedia...

I'm sure there's still much to discuss about this series; just because it's over doesn't mean it's OVER, right? Plenty of debatable topics remain.

I mean, I had posted here like twice before aMOL came out, and have already flooded the board with my nonsense the last few days.

looks at total post count...11.....looks at davians.....several thousand....

Yes fourth age, you've flooded the boards. gt a hold of yourself youngling ! :cool:

Daekyras
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
As for Goodkind, i just ate a bunch of Mexican food so I could cut up some copies of Atlas Shrugged and eat that and take a picture of my toilet tomorrow morning and then post it for you. It'd pretty much sum up his collected works without the need for a forum.

really? i think you give him too much credit..

professorskar
01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
The s'redit in the room...

Rand al'Fain
01-20-2013, 01:54 AM
The s'redit in the room...

I have come to the conclusion that s'redit are mastadons.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2013, 06:27 AM
What now? Well, we discuss WOT. After we're through with that, I guess we'll discuss WOT a bit. Then, I think we might take a break and discuss WOT.

Look how many threads there are on the board right now. There are countless questions still to ask and - yes - theories to be written. Now that the series is complete, the TRUE theorising can begin.

Tomp
01-20-2013, 08:01 AM
If I remember right, the 50 Shades of Gray thread in Non reached 10+ pages. Clearly there's an overlap of interest between Wheel of Time and chick lit.

The difference is that the stains on WoT books come from saliva and unwashed hands. ;)

Davian93
01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
The difference is that the stains on WoT books come from saliva and unwashed hands. ;)

Cheetos and Mountain Dews...

Demon
01-20-2013, 06:14 PM
only half relevant, i got the first encyclopedia for half price in perfect condition at hastings. the new one was actually torn on the cover. Yay for me.

Fourth Age Historian
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
looks at total post count...11.....looks at davians.....several thousand....

Yes fourth age, you've flooded the boards. gt a hold of yourself youngling ! :cool:

Was referring more to the quality of provided content. Just a lot of rambling about the end of the series. Still five times as much as I ever posted BEFORE the series was over.:D

Mort
01-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Not sure that I'm that interested in an encyclopedia actually. I have the BWB and it was fun for like a few days. So it's gonna be pretty much a dictionary of WoT. Doesn't really excite all that much :(

Dom
01-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Not sure that I'm that interested in an encyclopedia actually. I have the BWB and it was fun for like a few days. So it's gonna be pretty much a dictionary of WoT. Doesn't really excite all that much :(

If they deliver on what they seem to promise about it these days, it's gonna be far more interesting than a dictionary of WOT, giving us many answers taken from RJ's notes. His character files alone should be most interesting. I can't say I care much for entries on WOT herbs and flowers and such and there's no doubt there will be a whole lot of that, but there's a lot to look forward to. Entries on Verin, the Aelfinn and Eelfin, Mordeth, the Chosen, the metaphysics (Bore, etc.), TAR, all the cultural entries etc.

It's quite possible the Encyclopedia proves more fun for hardcore theorists and lovers of the world building and characters than Brandon's three novels.

Davian93
01-21-2013, 07:39 AM

The encyclopedia is supposed to be significantly better than the BWB so I cautiously excited.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-21-2013, 07:44 AM
The encyclopedia is supposed to be significantly better than the BWB so I cautiously excited.

you cautiously excited what? or whom?

Khoram
01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Cheetos and Mountain Dews...

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq186/SummersScottX/demotivational-posters-sir-cheeto-of-mountain-dew.jpg

Davian93
01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
you cautiously excited what? or whom?

Is where? Is what?

:p

Res_Ipsa
01-23-2013, 05:35 AM
9 more books for the Stormlight Archive coming out, won't Brandon need some HCFFs?

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2013, 05:49 AM
9 more books for the Stormlight Archive coming out, won't Brandon need some HCFFs?
He could answer that with: "You? No!"

Res_Ipsa
01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
He could answer that with: "You? No!"

Clever.