PDA

View Full Version : DEBUNKED ! Spoilers

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
EDIT: OOOPS, sorry had this in the wrong forum for a minute (thanks for catching Isabel)

I always like to have a thread to admit where I was wrong and/or misled.

Now that we are done, we can close out some things:

1. I predicted Mat and Elayne would end up together. Many many years ago. DEBUNKED.

2. I believed Rand would be pulled from TAR the way Birgitte was, by Nynaeve. DEBUNKED

3. I believed (oh yes, I held tight to this, even til the final bit) that Siuan was a darkfriend. DEBUNKED

4. I believed Rand would die (whatever, HE DIDN'T regardless of arguing semantics) Sort of DEBUNKED

5.I believed Elayne would die (I never really said it, but I believed it for a long, long time) GAH. DEBUNKED. UNHAPPILY.

6. I hoped Min was a DF who had come back to the light...or was struggling to pull away from the DO/Forsaken. NOT CONVINCED this wasn't somewhere in RJs mind along the ride...but not developed or was eventually dismissed.

Those are just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more. I am still letting it all sink in, even after two read-throughs and various bit-reads.

Sigh.

Verin is still the best frickin' bit of the series for me. The absolute best moment.

Cortar
01-22-2013, 04:05 PM
What about theories that weren't ENTIRELY debunked?

For example, it was never proven conclusively that Demandred wasn't Taim.

Rand al'Fain
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Unless Damodred could project multiple peronsalities so other people could see, hear, and feel them, then yes, it has been debunked.

fdsaf3
01-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Except RJ saying clearly that Demandred wasn't Taim. But I guess you don't think that counts?

Dragon Thief
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Two Souls.

I still claim that RJ f---ed up on this. I mean, clearly, I had the better position.

Brita
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I believed Tuon would channel- DEBUNKED

I believed the a'dam would be defeated (ie a means of escape for damage) and preferably by Egwene- DEBUNKED

I believed Moraine would be beyond amazing in role and power when she returned- DEBUNKED

Khoram
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I believed Moraine would be beyond amazing in role and power when she returned- DEBUNKED

That had to be the most disappointing part in the entire book for me. I was really hoping to have more awesomeness from her. Oh well. :(

Fourth Age Historian
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I really... REALLY... thought he was gonna pull the move where he signed the last page of the last book (the story proper, not the excerpt as an adendum they actually went with)

"Loial son of Arant son of Halan
The Fourth Age"

DEBUNKED

Sinistrum
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
I was almost positive that Moridin returning to the Light at a critical moment would be the lynchpin to the Last Battle. Yeah...not so much.

fdsaf3
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I thought Perrin was going to develop into an interesting character. Totally debunked! :p

No, but seriously, I had a few (dumb) theories:

1. I thought the Seals were going to be broken in TAR. Nope.

2. I thought Rand was going to go to Seanchan and kneel before the Crystal Throne. Didn't happen.

3. Not really a prediction so I'm not sure if it counts, but I really hoped we'd get more interactions between the Chosen. I wanted to see more of how they interacted and assumed their positions of power. Oh well.

probe907
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I thought Logain and Alivia would each do something really cool... Debunked :( .

Also I occasionally thought that one of Lanfear and Ishy would abandon the Shadow... Debunked.

metaphor
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I believed Rand would use the power of shadar logoth as a glove to handle the Dark One.

It would be interesting to see which popular theories were debunked.
For instance many,and I among them, believed that Nynaeve would resurrect Rand after 3 days, but it didn't happen .

Khoram
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
I honestly believed that Elayne would give birth (whether forcefully or not) on the slopes of Shayol Ghul, thus fulfilling the "blood on the rocks" prophecy. Alas, it was debunked.

Daekyras
01-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Oh, I'd say for about 15 odd years now i've held to the belief that both Berelain and rhuarc were darkfriends and that has been DEBUNKED....Or has it?

We have no proof for Berelain and Rhuarc was a thing of the shadow at the end so...It's still real to me dammit!!

WinespringBrother
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Off the top of my head...

Taim was not a darkfriend - well at least we got a POV from him

Mesaana was not Shevan but I did predict she would be a brown (and she turned out to be the popular choice obviously)

Demandred was not posing as Roedred (though my very first theory about him posited that he might have been based in Shara).

Slayer was not a corrupted wolfbrother - debunked ages ago in an online q&a with RJ.

Fain was not pivotal in the last battle - more of a footnote.

Morsker
01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
1. I thought the Fisher King connection tied Rand's wound to the Bore, and that the Seals were really what was making his wound unhealable. And that once they broke the Seals, Nynaeve could heal his wound, to fix the Bore.

2. I thought Mat would kill Shadar Haran.

3. I wanted at least one thoroughly corrupted Darkfriend to come back to the Light... Fain, Moridin, Lanfear, maybe Moghedien. Oh well.

maacaroni
01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
The blood on the rocks was a literal and metaphorical truth. His blood and the blood of those fighting for him.

GonzoTheGreat
01-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Galad marrying Egwene: debunked.
He could still hook up with Elaida, but that seems unlikely. Cadsuane I simply wouldn't believe.

Ivhon
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I was almost positive that Moridin returning to the Light at a critical moment would be the lynchpin to the Last Battle. Yeah...not so much.

I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but seriously.... No need for the stuck record dark jedi returning to the light meme to enter another series.

EDIT: My heart rate went up for a couple of pages there when Fain started (for what reason, exactly?) referring to himself as "Shaisam" - close enough to "Shaitan" for the legend and myth test. Was seeing the potential of a DO infused Fain confrontation with Rand who would then seal Shaisam away and fulfill my Fain prophecy. DEBUNKED in the most inglorious and anticlimactic way.

KilMichaelMcC
01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I thought Rand was going to live on in Logain's body. I thought that Alivia would play an integral role in the bodyswap, and that Logain would willingly give up his life to allow this to happen and that this would be his "glory," dying to keep the Dragon Reborn alive/bring him back from death (wasn't sure if Rand would actually die first and then come back into a new body or just be close to death) and allow the Light to win.

confused at birth
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
I was convinced that his blood on the rocks meant Luc and Galad fighting on the slopes of shayol ghul with Galad trying to stop Luc getting to Rand while he was sealing the bore and one or both dying bleeding out on the rocks

Perrin or Rand perfecting the Dreamspike and using on a world wide scale to stop travelling and people using the dream to gain advantage, yes it would have stranded half the worlds armies in the north but I hate the idea of gateways now that the light appears to have won for now.
I was sure one of them would decide to use it and stop any future use of gateways for war or assassination.