PDA

View Full Version : Thought on the Ending (SPOILERS)

Nym123
01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Here is a thought that seems to me to be most consistent with the known mechanics of the wheel of time universe.

Spoilers below...

From the Prologue to LoC:
"You will adapt. The body bends to the soul, but the mind bends to the body.
You are adapting already. Soon it will be as if you had never had any other."

Shaidar Haran seems to be saying that their ability to channel will return in time after their bodies bend to their souls. I was always torn as to whether the body swap process causes a disruption in channeling ability or the lack of the source was an artifact of the location they were being held (in a dream shard I would guess...).

We know channeling is a function of the soul as has been indicated elsewhere in the books and is proven by the fact that Aran'gar channels the male half while in a female body.

If Rand was burned out he would exhibit withdrawal symptoms. They go to great lengths throughout the series to stress that Rand is not the creator and is a human like anyone else. No human being could maintain his level of equanimity in the face of severing. Not even the Dragon Reborn. Severing kills almost all those who suffer it.

Axioms:
1. Channeling is tied to the soul and Rand has the same soul.
2. Rand is not burned out.
3. Body swapping causes disruptions in channeling. To challenge this axiom we would need some rational explanation for what Shaidar Haran is talking about in the quote above if not access to the One Power.

Conclusion:
Rand will regain his ability to channel after his new body bends to his soul.

Thoughts?

Fourth Age Historian
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
"You will adapt. The body bends to the soul, but the mind bends to the body.
You are adapting already. Soon it will be as if you had never had any other."

3. Body swapping causes disruptions in channeling. To challenge this axiom we would need some rational explanation for what Shaidar Haran is talking about in the quote above if not access to the One Power.

I think there are a LOT of other explanations. One of them switched sexes. Heck, a few inches of height one way or the other, or a few pounds here and there, or stronger/weaker musculature would play havoc with your bearings. I'm intrigued by this idea, but I don't think that quote by SH alone is enough to definitively make the case.

Terez
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Severing and burning out is something that happens to the body, not the soul, so I don't think it applies. In other words, someone who is burned out will be able to channel in their next life. Moridin's body is burned out, and he's stuck with it, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

Dom
01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Severing and burning out is something that happens to the body, not the soul, so I don't think it applies. In other words, someone who is burned out will be able to channel in their next life. Moridin's body is burned out, and he's stuck with it, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

+1

KilMichaelMcC
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Here is a thought that seems ]
To challenge this axiom we would need some rational explanation for what Shaidar Haran is talking about in the quote above if not access to the One Power.

We know what Shaidar Haran is talking about: Balthamel/Aran'gar adapting to existing in a female body. The soul remains male, and thus the body adapts to that and allows the channeling of saidin, but the mind adapts itself to fit the new body, thus Aran'gar comes to think of herself as female.