PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Off-the-Wall theory with No Basis in Evidence. - spoilers

Davian93
01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Filler...wonderful tab over filler from the land of filler where filler runs free with more filler...

Okay, here's my feeble attempt at a Felix level theory. Demandred seems pretty solid and normal in LoC. He's determined and wants LTT/Rand dead but he's completely in control of his emotions. In aMoL, he's suddenly wacky the wackiest wacker of them all for pretty much the entire battle. Now, what changed? He now has a super powerful sa'angreal...one that he very well could have created himself (which would give him a good explanation for what the hell he was doing for 2 years in Shara besides creating an army). Now, a sa'angreal shouldnt necessarily do anything like that. However, what if it was flawed to induce wildness much like Callandor?

Which leads me to my next point, LTT needed a powerful sa'angreal during the War of Power but probably couldn't afford to weaken himself during the war to make it...perhaps he turned to one of his top generals (one he heaped with honors and medals?) Perhaps Demandred created Callandor and was responsible for the flaw there too? It might have been the last thing he did prior to bolting to the Shadow.

Okay, I'm done now, rip it apart. Yes, I am well aware that there is zero evidence to support any of this.

confused at birth
01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Okay, here's my feeble attempt at a Felix level theory.

Yes, I am well aware that there is zero evidence to support any of this.

This doesnt seem nearly long enough to be a Felix level theory and there was always plenty of quotes as evidence for those its just that the evidence usually appeared to have absolutely nothing to do with what was in the theory to most sober people

Davian93
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
This doesnt seem nearly long enough to be a Felix level theory and there was always plenty of quotes as evidence for those its just that the evidence usually appeared to have absolutely nothing to do with what was in the theory to most sober people

Did I mention that Demandred likely wore a cape while doing all this?

ShadowbaneX
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
there's also a lack of Valan Luca and bullet points.

As for the theory, I'm not so sure. One, it's not looney enough. Two, Demandred's involvement seems superfluous. Now, the idea that it might be that created a sa'angreal in an accelerated fashion could be what resulted in the flaw.

Davian93
01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
there's also a lack of Valan Luca and bullet points.

As for the theory, I'm not so sure. One, it's not looney enough. Two, Demandred's involvement seems superfluous. Now, the idea that it might be that created a sa'angreal in an accelerated fashion could be what resulted in the flaw.

The wildness would be the only factor connecting the two...and my first thought was "maybe his sa'angreal suffered from the same flaw as Callandor."

The other option was he took too many Sharan mushrooms before the battle.

Kimon
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Are there any thoughts yet on the potential origins of his pseudonym - Bao the Wyld? Is it just Chinese-sounding to link Shara to China, or does anyone have any thoughts on actual possibilities for mythological or historic connections?

eht slat meit
01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Are there any thoughts yet on the potential origins of his pseudonym - Bao the Wyld? Is it just Chinese-sounding to link Shara to China, or does anyone have any thoughts on actual possibilities for mythological or historic connections?

Looks like someone already put a fairly long and what appears to be a solid essay on Demandred as Beowulf over on 13th.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/demandred.html

Cortar
01-25-2013, 03:28 AM

Its a crater on the moon.... So obviously he was as high as the moon when he went into battle...

Daekyras
01-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Filler...wonderful tab over filler from the land of filler where filler runs free with more filler...

Okay, here's my feeble attempt at a Felix level theory. Demandred seems pretty solid and normal in LoC. He's determined and wants LTT/Rand dead but he's completely in control of his emotions. In aMoL, he's suddenly wacky the wackiest wacker of them all for pretty much the entire battle. Now, what changed? He now has a super powerful sa'angreal...one that he very well could have created himself (which would give him a good explanation for what the hell he was doing for 2 years in Shara besides creating an army). Now, a sa'angreal shouldnt necessarily do anything like that. However, what if it was flawed to induce wildness much like Callandor?

Which leads me to my next point, LTT needed a powerful sa'angreal during the War of Power but probably couldn't afford to weaken himself during the war to make it...perhaps he turned to one of his top generals (one he heaped with honors and medals?) Perhaps Demandred created Callandor and was responsible for the flaw there too? It might have been the last thing he did prior to bolting to the Shadow.

Okay, I'm done now, rip it apart. Yes, I am well aware that there is zero evidence to support any of this.

Ah Dav, I wish i had a big picture of a bird staring at a woman to put in here because....I see what you did there.

This is not a looney theory in the mode of felix at all. You genuinely believe this don't you? You just don't want us to know that you do. Sneaky, but I'm on to you...;) (the lack of indent was my first clue, You're (relative) sanity the other...)

GonzoTheGreat
01-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Weak point: it was Be'lal and LTT who made Callandor:
"Is that what you think?" Be'lal said softly. "Truly, you know nothing." Suddenly there was a sword in his hands, a sword with a blade carved from black fire. "Take it! Take Callandor! Three thousand years, while I lay imprisoned, it has waited there. For you. One of the most powerful sa'angreal we ever made. Take it, and defend yourself, if you can!"
So it seems likely that Be'lal and LTT had also made the one that Demandred ended up with. Which, of course, also explains why Demandred didn't intend to use that sa'angreal in his fight with LTT: he knew that would be a bad idea. His claim of preferring fair play is merely a ploy.

Davian93
01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Weak point: it was Be'lal and LTT who made Callandor:

So it seems likely that Be'lal and LTT had also made the one that Demandred ended up with. Which, of course, also explains why Demandred didn't intend to use that sa'angreal in his fight with LTT: he knew that would be a bad idea. His claim of preferring fair play is merely a ploy.

Though, of course, that "we" merely meant "the 2nd Age Aes Sedai" not Be'lal himself most likely.

Enigma
01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
I though the wildness of the mind was due to the taint also being magnafied hence Rand's attempt to bring back the dead girl in Tear and his toying with the idea of using Callandor to kill all the shadowspawn everywhere.

Even if Demandred made his own Sa'angreal and copied Callandor with its flaws why would there be any wildness of the mind? Pre cleansing he was protected from the taint by his bonds to the dark one. Post cleansing there is no taint to drive him nuts.

Hopefully the anthology that is to be released soon wiil give us more info on the world according to Demandred.

Kimon
01-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Looks like someone already put a fairly long and what appears to be a solid essay on Demandred as Beowulf over on 13th.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/demandred.html

I actually like the allusions to Bai Qi and Hannibal better than to Beowulf. Bai Qi is obviously further removed from my area of expertise, but the Hannibal similarities are very tempting. A brilliant commander, but one that could never finish off the enemy, and one that was obsessed with his enemy. Moreover, Mat's strategy against Demandred does seem a nice composite of Fabius Cunctator and Scipio Africanus, and indeed, Mat's victory does seem eerily similar to Hannibal's own strategy and genius at Cannae...

Linda
01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I am the 'someone' who posted the essay on Demandred.

Kimon: I like the Bai Qi and Hannibal allusions better myself because they are so close, but Brandon and Peter were especially refering to Beowulf with the name Bao.

Scipio Africanus was a major parallel of Lews Therin for the AOL and I wrote about that in the Lews Therin essay some years ago. I'll be adding Scipio Af. as a parallel of Mat to Mat's essay soonish.

I figured that Demandred would 'do a Hannibal' long ago, but got the wrong Chinese derived forces...

Mort
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I remember reading that the Sa'angreal Demandred used had a flaw, it wasn't precisly stated what it was though, anyone have the quote?

Are you actually able to make a Sa'angreal by yourself? Wouldn't it take a circle of some size to make one? We know from aMoL that you feed an Angreal with your power to make it work, which drains you. Demandred probably would have had to drain himself for all of the two years to make one, if not longer. Seems whacky enough :)

Davian93
01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember reading that the Sa'angreal Demandred used had a flaw, it wasn't precisly stated what it was though, anyone have the quote?

Are you actually able to make a Sa'angreal by yourself? Wouldn't it take a circle of some size to make one? We know from aMoL that you feed an Angreal with your power to make it work, which drains you. Demandred probably would have had to drain himself for all of the two years to make one, if not longer. Seems whacky enough :)

Well, he clearly had access to a full circle of 72 during the battle so its not a stretch to think he had long-term access to the same circle/channelers to make his own sa'angreal.

Martin Alvito
01-26-2013, 02:59 AM
I though the wildness of the mind was due to the taint also being magnafied hence Rand's attempt to bring back the dead girl in Tear and his toying with the idea of using Callandor to kill all the shadowspawn everywhere.

Right. Which gives us a clue as to what's been going on here, assuming you're looking for an explanation other than Sanderson simply rewriting the character to suit his needs and preferences (see: Mat).

The other key clue is Moghedien disguising herself as Demandred and claiming her bona fides by using the True Power to 'channel without weaves.'

Implication: Demandred's been using the True Power regularly. Heavy use of the TP is probably the best explanation of the variance between the fairly sane Ishamael we observed in the prologue of TEOTW and the complete nutjob we all know and love.

So I figure Demandred's sa'angreal works fine.

kivo
01-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Okay, here's my feeble attempt at a Felix level theory. Demandred seems pretty solid and normal in LoC. He's determined and wants LTT/Rand dead but he's completely in control of his emotions. In aMoL, he's suddenly wacky the wackiest wacker of them all for pretty much the entire battle. Now, what changed? He now has a super powerful sa'angreal...one that he very well could have created himself (which would give him a good explanation for what the hell he was doing for 2 years in Shara besides creating an army). Now, a sa'angreal shouldnt necessarily do anything like that. However, what if it was flawed to induce Wyld-ness.

FYP