PDA

View Full Version : Shara - spoilers

djrice24
01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Ok so avoid spoilers I am just going to start by saying I am somewhat confused with the way the that certain people-we-have-not-seen-yet act. I AM happy they were finally included in the series...

Ok on to my post ...

The book implies that Demandred is able to command the Sharan forces by presenting himself as the "Wyld." The Wyld appears to be some sort of powerful individual that is prophesied to save the Sharan people.

Is there any more additional information about this Wyld? Do the Sharans actually have a completely different rand/jesus type savior ... or is the Wyld simply the Dragon Reborn for the Sharan people? Similar to how the Aiel, the Seafolk, etc., all have different names for the Dragon Reborn. Could the Sharans have been duped into thinking Demandred was the Dragon Reborn?

Davian93
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
You should add some filler sentences to the beginning of your post to avoid mouse over spoilers....

djrice24
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Sorry, I am new here. So no spoilers unless it is deep in the text of the post?

You should add some filler sentences to the beginning of your post to avoid mouse over spoilers....

Kimon
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
The book implies that Demandred is able to command the Sharan forces by presenting himself as the "Wyld." The Wyld appears to be some sort of powerful individual that is prophesied to save the Sharan people.

Is there any more additional information about this Wyld? Do the Sharans actually have a completely different rand/jesus type savior ... or is the Wyld simply the Dragon Reborn for the Sharan people? Similar to how the Aiel, the Seafolk, etc., all have different names for the Dragon Reborn. Could the Sharans have been duped into thinking Demandred was the Dragon Reborn?

I would ask a similar question in another thread just before seeing this...

On topic, the Sharans were calling him "Dragonslayer", so it seems likely that they had their own prophecies that used both this epithet and perhaps even the name Bao the Wyld, and that was how Demandred was able to convince them to fight alongside Trollocs beyond merely convincing them that this was their best chance for Shara to survive TG. Certainly his dialogue with his Sharans seemed to underscore that they were following, and loyal to him specifically rather than to the Shadow.

Davian93
01-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I am new here. So no spoilers unless it is deep in the text of the post?

Its only a concern on the first post of a thread...otherwise, its a non-issue.

Davian93
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I would ask a similar question in another thread just before seeing this...

On topic, the Sharans were calling him "Dragonslayer", so it seems likely that they had their own prophecies that used both this epithet and perhaps even the name Bao the Wyld, and that was how Demandred was able to convince them to fight alongside Trollocs beyond merely convincing them that this was their best chance for Shara to survive TG. Certainly his dialogue with his Sharans seemed to underscore that they were following, and loyal to him specifically rather than to the Shadow.

I would imagine that Shara and its entire society is the result of one (or several) of Ishy's free periods during the 3rd Age.

kcf
01-24-2013, 10:36 PM
I would imagine that Shara and its entire society is the result of one (or several) of Ishy's free periods during the 3rd Age.

This - he corrupted the prophesies in Seanchan and I think it's pretty clear he did the same over in Shara.

In LOC there is an apparent throw-away discussion on there being fighting in Shara over news of the Dragon reborn - in retrospect, it's clear that this is Demandred consolidating a power base there, and it would seem taking on the role of Dragon, or Dragonslayer if that is a seperate role. RJ probably considered it a hint that would lead us to figure out Demandred is there, though it's certainly ambigious at best.

In the short story/novella, "River of Souls" coming out in the Unfettered anthology, I hope that some of this gets cleared up.

Terez
01-25-2013, 12:17 AM
I think Graendal stealing the Sh'boan and Sh'botay was reason enough for Shara to be in chaos, so if that was supposed to be a hint, it wasn't a very good one.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Hi djrice,

I've edited your thread title as it contained a spoiler in the title. We're trying to not spoil the people who have not yet finished the book (Shocking, I know, it's been 2 weeks since it came out, how do they read so slowly???) I've also added to the title that the post contains spoilers.

Cortar
01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
I think Graendal stealing the Sh'boan and Sh'botay was reason enough for Shara to be in chaos, so if that was supposed to be a hint, it wasn't a very good one.

Which was probably what he wanted.

Ieyasu
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I think its entirely possible that this was a 'just in case' area of prophecy. Paitar and his kin were given "Dragon-Slaying" prophecies to protect the world as well, though they kept them secret. I think Bao the Wyld may have been something similar to this and Demandred used it to his advantage. I am greatly interested in the short story and encyclopedia to explain some of this.

Dom
01-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I think this wasn't a hint so much as the beginning of his red herring for Shara.

From that point he could openly refer to troubles there, setting the stage for the finale, without worrying we would see more than the consequences of Graendal's actions in it.

By KOD I suspect he had almost finished his set up for the final red herring, by throwing Seanchan in chaos too, and reminding us of their differring/corrupted/tampered with prophecies. We know from Brandon such tampering did occur, and we know from AMOL that not all the different prophecies mean one version is corrupted, or the Pattern used the corrupted prophecies and screwed Ishamael.

Anyway, it seems fairly obvious RJ early in AMOL meant to misdirect us into believing Demandred was the dark power that arose in Seanchan after Semirhage killed the Empress, hinting at prophecies being fulfilled etc. Between that and Mat's flight, we would have had serious misgivings about the Seanchan joining the others.. than as they decide to do and we expect the worst, he pulled the rug under our feet and tadam! - the Sharans appear and we need the Seanchan badly.

I hate how Brandon built up to Demandred, or rather failed to. With the Seanchan resolution, it's one of the things I disliked the most. I get the feeling I will probably like quite a bit the stuff in River of Souls and at the same time hate even more the lack of build up in AMOL afterward.

fionwe1987
01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
I think its entirely possible that this was a 'just in case' area of prophecy. Paitar and his kin were given "Dragon-Slaying" prophecies to protect the world as well, though they kept them secret. I think Bao the Wyld may have been something similar to this and Demandred used it to his advantage. I am greatly interested in the short story and encyclopedia to explain some of this.
This is a very nice idea. While I'm sure Ishamael managed to play these up too, its also likely he had some ready material to work with, and unlike the careful secrecy of the Nachiman's, the Sharan's probably didn't keep the Prophesies a secret. Demandred probably played on the distraction and chaos of Rand's coming, and managed to paint a (probably accurate at one point) picture of Rand.

Weiramon
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Pshaw, that's ridiculous. Next you will claim the Lord Captain Commander sought confusion in the wake of false dragons by having Children of the Light sow discord, to cause the Nations to rally to . . . the Fortress of the Light . . . at Tarmon Gai'don.

Ishara
01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
We also have good reason to believe that the forthcoming encyclopedia will have lots and lots on the Sharans for us to pore over.