PDA

View Full Version : seanchan

djrice24
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Is anyone else peeved that the continent of Seanchan did not figure more prominently in the books? I held out hope until aMoL came out.

The Seanchan were introduced relatively early in the series ... so there should have been time to develop more intricate plot lines for them.

I seem to remember an official map of the Seanchan continent somewhere ... but it never appeared in the books.

I thought the whole "the Seanchan continent was in chaos/civil war due to the meddling of the forsaken" was a crappy cop-out to not bring the land into one of the major plot-lines.

I mean, by the end of the books the Seanchan have knowledge of traveling. Tuon could have easily traveled back to Seanchan. Even if she was not recognized as the Empress, she could start her reconquest in the civil war. It is also hard to believe that no one would have supported her claim in the civil war. She was the daughter of the previous Empress so she should have had at least some supporters.

It would have allowed her to build a much longer army which could have totally whooped the shadow in the last battle. I mean, if the Seanchan invasion force is any indicator, the full power of the empire could have totally annihilated the forces of the shadow.

Davian93
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Not really and there's a map of it in the BWB.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GfFcnj3DZz0/UB5h0FF-GCI/AAAAAAAAFmY/lwJdGFf3oD0/s1600/WoT+-+Seanchan.png

ShadowLord
01-25-2013, 06:44 PM
And what happened to the red-sailed ships?

Ishara
01-27-2013, 12:33 PM
You mean the ships that carried all the settlers from Seanchan to Randland?

Tollingtoy
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
In one of the books, I think it may have been TOM, but I'm not sure, when the wind was being described it mentioned that it passed by red said ships in a Seanchan port

I was wondering what these referred to as well

Ishara
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, here's the quote, emphasis mine:

Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 1 - Apples First

The wind continued eastward, and soon it was playing with the masts of half-burned ships at the docks of Takisrom. Out into the Sleeping Bay, it passed the attackers: enormous greatships with sails painted blood red. They sailed southward, their grisly work done. The wind blew onto land again, past smoldering towns and villages, open plains filled with troops and docks fat with warships. Smoke, war calls and banners flew above dying grass and beneath a dockmaster's gloomy sky.

So who are the contenders?

1. Semirhage's faction? Doubtful. She seemed to have been relying on her close position to Tuon to get her ahead, and once that was taken from her, she was sort of boned.

2. Ishamael/ Moridin: seeds planted many years ago? Maybe?

Who else?

Dom
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, here's the quote, emphasis mine:

So who are the contenders?

1. Semirhage's faction? Doubtful. She seemed to have been relying on her close position to Tuon to get her ahead, and once that was taken from her, she was sort of boned.

2. Ishamael/ Moridin: seeds planted many years ago? Maybe?

Who else?

Sharans are unlikely to have any navy, given that the rulers made sure no one ever left the country.

I think these ships are from the Imperial Navy, highjacked by one or the other factions contending for the throne of the Paendrags.

This stuff was a badly executed red herring, IMO. Brandon did try to associate the Towers of Midnight and the Forsaken, but it didn't work because he didn't give us a clue linking Demandred to prophecies.