PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan. Spoilers

Cortar
01-25-2013, 02:36 AM
BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBL AHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH BLAH

So, I wonder how long you have to be a channeller to get an increased lifespan and what happens when you just suddenly lose said ability. Is it like burning out? Or is it like just being in a stedding forever?

(Obviously this is referring to Rand)

I guess as an aside question, if a channeller lived in a stedding forever, would he have increased lifespan and if so for how long?

yks 6nnetu hing
01-25-2013, 02:54 AM
I like this question. I dont'know the answer to it though...

Because of the Oath Rod, most of the information we have on life spans after losing the ability to channel is probably skewed. Though, I *think* what happens when a person is severed/stilled/burned out/gentled is this: the channeler reverts to their age they would be taking into account the Slowing. And from then on, they'd age at normal pace...

So, for instance, Siuan, she could channel very strongly, so she would have Slowed a lot (as opposed to, say Sorilea) however, the Oath Rod would have damped that... um, not really but I d don't know hot to formulate it better, I think you know what I mean? As Siuan was perhaps around 40 when she was stilled (according to wot wiki, she was born in 958 NE) and she'd been channeling since her teen-years, she would naturally have Slowed to look maybe 20-22 or so? Which is consistent with her description after the stilling, right?

This is a little consistent with Logain, though we dont'have any proper descriptions of him from before and after the Gentling. I don't get the impression that his apprearance changed that much - compared to Siuan and Leane - when he was gentled?

Enigma
01-25-2013, 06:23 AM
I think that RJ confirmed that men started slowing a bit later that women. I could be wrong here but I think he said something about 25, and if I am recalling it exactly it came up during the interviews about how old Taim was and the confusion Rand had when they first met about his age.

So with Logain there may not have been much slowing obvious before he was gentled and then rehealed. And he never took the oaths so we don't know if there is any significant change in appearance for a non bound channeler when they are severed.

As for what happens to an old channeler who was not bound by the oath rod and then severed? Say you had a 100 year old woman she probably looks like she was in her early thirties or there abouts. If she was severed she is not going to get another five hundred years but she will probably not physically turn 100 but will still have the body of a 30 year old woman so she probably gets another 30/40 years of life barring poor health, suicide etc.

Ishara
01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Sharina Melloy is a good character to keep in mind here.

She joined the Salidar Aes Sedai in tPoD as a 67-year old grandmother, and by KoD, she may be beginning to look younger:

Knife of Dreams
CHAPTER: 23 - Call to a Sitting

Lack of disrespect or no, there was too much appearance of a woman instructing her granddaughter to suit Romanda. As she approached them, Sharina offered a proper curtsy - a very proper curtsy, Romanda had to admit - and hurried off the other way to join her own family, waiting for her. Were there fewer lines in her face than there had been? Well, there was no saying what might happen when a woman began with the Power at her age. Sixty-seven and a novice!

Now, tPoD is indirect with regards to whether Sharina is a learner or a sparker, and it makes a difference. I'm going to go out on a limb and say she was a learner, as it seems as if she hadn't slowed prior to entrance into the Tower, but did start slowing after becoming a Novice and channeling regularly.

As to your aside, IF the person had been a regular channeler prior to entering the stedding, then I'd say that they would stop slowing after entering the stedding, as it's regular channeling that causes slowing. Would they have an extended lifespan? Sure, but probably because living in the stedding would lend itself to a longer life.

Kimon
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Sharina Melloy is a good character to keep in mind here.

She joined the Salidar Aes Sedai in tPoD as a 67-year old grandmother, and by KoD, she may be beginning to look younger:

Now, tPoD is indirect with regards to whether Sharina is a learner or a sparker, and it makes a difference. I'm going to go out on a limb and say she was a learner, as it seems as if she hadn't slowed prior to entrance into the Tower, but did start slowing after becoming a Novice and channeling regularly.

As to your aside, IF the person had been a regular channeler prior to entering the stedding, then I'd say that they would stop slowing after entering the stedding, as it's regular channeling that causes slowing. Would they have an extended lifespan? Sure, but probably because living in the stedding would lend itself to a longer life.

She can't be a sparker. If she had been she couldn't have looked like a woman in her late 60s, unless you're suggesting that there is a possibility that she is really a 400-500 year old wilder, in which case there would have been no reason for a sudden rejuvenation to her appearance. She has to be a learner.

Davian93
01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
She was a learner, not a sparker.

For aging and channeling, a good example would be Morgase. She likely didnt channel from the time she left the Tower until Faile asked her to try...but she still slowed quite a bit regardless.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-28-2013, 01:23 AM
She was a learner, not a sparker.

For aging and channeling, a good example would be Morgase. She likely didnt channel from the time she left the Tower until Faile asked her to try...but she still slowed quite a bit regardless.

Exactly. Likewise, Alivia during her Damane time presumably handled massive amounts of the OP but doesn't seem to have Slowed more than someone else with her strength in the OP would have. Though, of course this is my perception, I don't think there's actual proof in the books for how a person with that kind of strength would Slow without the 3 oaths.

Zombie Sammael
01-28-2013, 01:45 AM
From what we know, it seems that the rejuvenating effect is a direct consequence of contact with the One Power itself, rather than a side-effect of merely having the ability. With this in mind, I'd suggest that a channeller who suddenly stopped channelling, whether because they went to live in a Stedding, were burned out or stilled, or something else (i.e. Rand) would eventually lose the effect and begin to age normally. My answer would be that you have to channel to get that effect.

With regard to Rand, however, I would suggest that you are asking the wrong question. All signs indicate, to me at least, that Rand will age at exactly the rate he wants to.

hippie-joe
01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
With regard to Rand, however, I would suggest that you are asking the wrong question. All signs indicate, to me at least, that Rand will age at exactly the rate he wants to.

yes, this sounds right.

Dom
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
From what we know, it seems that the rejuvenating effect is a direct consequence of contact with the One Power itself, rather than a side-effect of merely having the ability. With this in mind, I'd suggest that a channeller who suddenly stopped channelling, whether because they went to live in a Stedding, were burned out or stilled, or something else (i.e. Rand) would eventually lose the effect and begin to age normally. My answer would be that you have to channel to get that effect.

Not really, since Morgase's apparent youth is often mentioned and she clearly has slowed. But she can't channel, she's rarely managed to ever touch the Source.

Even the correlation between strength and lifespan isn't firmly established. Sorilea is really old. Vandene was really old, and not very strong. Cadsuane and Romanda suggest great strength lend an extra, but how much it factors in is questionable since bound AS die unnaturally in their middle-years.

It sounds like it's an effect of your soul providing a conduit to the Source to your body.

Being stilled/burned out probably stops the effect on your health and lifespan. Hard to tell. Setalle Anan has aged since burning out. Normally? We don't really know. Few women survived the shock long enough to really document this.

If a Stedding or the Guardians would stop it is a big unknown. Personally I've always believed the TS is there in Stedding, it's rather than the five flows the human channelers use can't be sensed, the OP is organized differently in that "world". In stedding to use the OP you need to Sing. It doesn't mean the TS can't still touch the bodies of channelers who are in those locations. But maybe it does stop it. An unknown - channelers don't remain in Stedding long enough for this to be documented.

GonzoTheGreat
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
An unknown - channelers don't remain in Stedding long enough for this to be documented.
Rejoice, a long term experiment into this very situation has just been started. :p

Frenzy
02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
More evidence (http://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=92&theo=2102), but not sure if for or against.

Dom
02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Rejoice, a long term experiment into this very situation has just been started. :p

LOL!

Verin would have loved this. :P