PDA

View Full Version : Best A Memory of Light stories (real-life, no spoilers)

Great Lord of the Dark
01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Mrs. Dark had to be removed from the house by paramedics this a.m. (she is fine now, thank you), and as she slowly, painfully is brought down the stairs, and inches through the living room, barely able to stifle cries of intense pain, the paramedic blurts out "Is that the new Robert Jordan book?"

It is a good thing for both the paramedic and I that she was mostly incapable of movement.

Ieyasu
01-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I am glad she is doing well.

Now, on the the lol-ing

hahahaha

Brita
01-29-2013, 11:46 PM
LOL! Yes, you are lucky she couldn't get at you :p.

Isabel
01-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Lol, good to hear she is fine. Now you can tease her with this story:)

Davian93
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
That is awesome.

It would have been funnier had he put down the stretcher so he could better discuss some WoT theories.

ShadowbaneX
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear that she's doing ok GL. I'm sure as you rode in the ambulence to the hospital you and the parametic got to discuss the series and you told him about Theoryland.

Mort
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Mrs. Dark had to be removed from the house by paramedics this a.m. (she is fine now, thank you), and as she slowly, painfully is brought down the stairs, and inches through the living room, barely able to stifle cries of intense pain, the paramedic blurts out "Is that the new Robert Jordan book?"

It is a good thing for both the paramedic and I that she was mostly incapable of movement.

Did she drop the book on her foot? Or was the ending too much for her body to handle? :)

Glad she's okay now btw.

Jalyn
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
My aMoL story leaves me looking much worse, unfortunately.

I scheduled a vacation day for the 8th, so I could buy the book and read through it the day it came out. (This isn't actually new for me, I did the same thing for Dance of Dragons. Before that, I think I would just buy the books after work on the day they came out, read all night and then call in sick because I had no sleep.)
Monday, January 7th, I came into the office, and my coworker tells me that her mother was rushed to the hospital that weekend and had a pacemaker installed. We were discussing it and I was doing the right thing, making sure that she knew if she needed to leave and be with her mom, that was no big deal. (One of us needs to be working at all times, we have to cover for each other.)
She says, well, she might be going home tomorrow and I might need to go out there to help her at home. And I... didn't say anything. And didn't say anything. Finally, after running through every possible way that I could continue to take a vacation day and READ MY DAMN BOOK without being a heartless bitch and not coming up with anything, I told her that if she needed to be out of the office for her mom, I'd cancel my vacation day and work.
(Her mom ended up going home on Wednesday and not wanting her to come out anyway, so I got my vacation day, but I was severely ashamed of myself.)

WinespringBrother
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Glad to hear the Great Lady of the Dark is ok!

I pre-ordered AMOL and picked it up at a midnight release party the evening before the official release date (they let us have the books a few hours early :D) and I was going home via Penn Station in NY reading the book while waiting for the train and someone walked up to me, asking if that was the new WOT book (saying he spotted it from 50 feet away or something lol) and saying how he spoke to RJ once and has been reading the series forever.

I took that week off from work, and finished the book (on very little sleep) in about 30 hours (doing my audio re-read now).

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I lost Towers of Midnight on my way home from a vacation...I lost it (yeah, try MY HUSBAND lost it). I had it in the lobby as we were waiting for our ride, I was reading (it was a re-read), we were picked up, hubby packed up bags, etc in the back of the van. We got home...NO FRICKIN BOOK.

Mine don't go "out" anymore unless I have a very, very good reason. The hardcovers anyway. Few Kindle (niiiiice) and the paperbacks travel, but the AMoL isn't going out into the world on a train, plane or automobile until I pick up a second copy. :D

I did have my books with me when we went on a little friend/vacation and stayed at their "cottage". Big crowd of people were there (yeah, the cottage is 4x the size of my house, gotta love rich folks). One of the guys (I didn't know him previously) walks up and says JORDAN! We proceeded to ignore everyone else for about 3 hours.

Davian93
01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Glad to hear the Great Lady of the Dark is ok!

I pre-ordered AMOL and picked it up at a midnight release party the evening before the official release date (they let us have the books a few hours early :D) and I was going home via Penn Station in NY reading the book while waiting for the train and someone walked up to me, asking if that was the new WOT book (saying he spotted it from 50 feet away or something lol) and saying how he spoke to RJ once and has been reading the series forever.

I took that week off from work, and finished the book (on very little sleep) in about 30 hours (doing my audio re-read now).

Lucky he didn't pull a knife.

Great Lord of the Dark
01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I know what you mean Jalyn, I like to read them slowly, so I only scheduled a day off for when I reach the last 100 pages, but life kept pushing it back, and back, until neither my boss nor Mrs. Dark knew when I would finally vanish for the next 24 hours.

Last Friday, I settle in, comfortable in the knowledge that I have all day to finish it off (and most likely weep uncontrollably). 9:06 a.m., the school calls and my daughter is throwing up. Betrayed by my own flesh and blood!

Anyway, I took one for the team, and now she knows that her daddy bawls like a baby.

Mort
01-31-2013, 04:41 AM
Lucky he didn't pull a knife.

Everyone knows Book beats Knife.

SamJ
01-31-2013, 04:19 PM
I know what you mean Jalyn, I like to read them slowly, so I only scheduled a day off for when I reach the last 100 pages, but life kept pushing it back, and back, until neither my boss nor Mrs. Dark knew when I would finally vanish for the next 24 hours.

Last Friday, I settle in, comfortable in the knowledge that I have all day to finish it off (and most likely weep uncontrollably). 9:06 a.m., the school calls and my daughter is throwing up. Betrayed by my own flesh and blood!

Anyway, I took one for the team, and now she knows that her daddy bawls like a baby.

Glad to hear Mrs Dark is ok.

Know what you mean about life pushing back. I wanted to read as quickly as possible and knew I could get through it relatively sane in 2 days. I'm currently on maternity leave with a 7 month old baby. As 8 Jan was my birthday I got my husband and mum to take a day off each and babysit as a birthday present to me. The idea was I would get perfect reading time (me, reclinging with book on chaise longue listening to music and occasionally sipping a single malt). THIS DID NOT HAPPEN. What actually happened is that I could hardly leave the room for more than 1/2 hour at a time without feeding the bub, playing with the bub, or trying to calm down the screaming bub. This was all my fault, as I overestimated my ability not to orbit the little cherub. So, when my mum went home at 5pm on the second day I still had the entire LB to read. This was therefore even more epic as I was not going to put it down until I finished the whole damn book. Little man then spent the next 3 days laughing as mummy burst into tears at various moments recalling different parts of the book, including, embarassingly, crying twice whilst walking in the park.

maacaroni
02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I got my AMoLa week late because I was in Thailand with Mrs Macaroni. I actually tried to get the book in a shop in Bangkok without success.

I bought it in Heathrow Wh Smiths and walked out into -2

My memory of light was the beach I had just left

Zombie Sammael
02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Roughly six months before the release, Lupus Deus Est and I realised that, having been chatting daily for months, there was probably a little bit more to our relationship than just friends. With that in mind, we began making plans to meet up in real life.

This was difficult, as she lives in Australia and at the time I lived in the UK. Fortunately, I had been promised a holiday as my Christmas present by my parents the previous year, and had not yet taken it. With that in mind, I began making plans to holiday in Australia. As time went by and our relationship deepened, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and extend my stay. After going through everything and working it all out with regards to moving out of my flat, Christmas, and everything else I had to do, it became obvious that the early part of January was the best time for the holiday. Our plans were that we would spend 1-2 weeks in Brisbane as a sort of honeymoon before coming back north for me to find work (still working on that!).

As we looked at dates, flights, and Lupus' time off, it became obvious there was only one date that really made any sense: 8th January. Ulp. We managed to book a flight for me that wouldn't leave until around 2pm that day. In the meantime, I preordered a copy of the book from a bookshop near to the airport, not knowing if the airport book store would sell it. As the day approached I was looking everywhere to see if I could get an early copy. Needless to say, I didn't manage to.

My parents drove me to the airport on the morning of the 8th, knowing I had to check in at least 90 minutes before flying. We managed to get down there by around 10.30, leading my father to ask me, "Here's the exit for the airport. Do you want me to turn off now or are you going looking for this book?" There could only be one answer. I got it, packed it, and had it ready in my hand luggage for the start of the flight. I devoured it in two eight hour sittings.

So in the end, I got the book, got the flight, and got the girl. :D

Davian93
02-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Have Rep!

Ishara
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Mine don't go "out" anymore unless I have a very, very good reason. The hardcovers anyway. Few Kindle (niiiiice) and the paperbacks travel, but the AMoL isn't going out into the world on a train, plane or automobile until I pick up a second copy. :D
Make sure you bring it to JCon - you can (hopefully) get Team Jordan to sign it!

Your aptly named daughter, as I recall...LOL. Poor you!

Jalyn
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I show up at my parent's home Saturday evening for dinner and movie night. Mom welcomes me in, Dad barely looks up from his rather large book to acknowledge my existence and let me know that he's not ready yet.
Mom and I talk for a while, watch some CSI (Mom had control of the remote.) Finally Mom says, well, is dinner ready at least? Dad tells us that dinners been ready and if we want to eat, to go ahead, he's not ready yet.
Halfway through dinner, Dad turns the final page and sets the book aside. I glance over and, sure enough, it's aMoL. The amusing part is that last I heard he a) didn't have aMoL, b) hadn't read tGS or ToM, & c) wasn't sure he HAD tGS.
We then annoyed my mother by discussing our opinions of the series (though few theories, Dad's read each book exactly once - I asked him one who he thought killed Asmodean. Then had to remind him who Asmodean was to get to the answer of ... well, I'm sure I knew who killed him at the time, because I don't remember being confused.)
Then we all watched the 25th anniversary stage production of Les Mis, but that's a different story.

maacaroni
02-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Aww my story is crap compared to Zombie Sammael's!

For the record, my darling wife does not care for WoT but I don't hold it against her.

The big news, are you staying in Oz?

Demon
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
On the day it was released, I convinced my friend to come get me at 6 in the morning and take me to walmart to pick up a copy before school. Was well worth waking up early. Had to stop in the middle of the 4th Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book so i could read it though.

Zombie Sammael
02-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Aww my story is crap compared to Zombie Sammael's!

For the record, my darling wife does not care for WoT but I don't hold it against her.

The big news, are you staying in Oz?

Until they kick me out. ;)

Khoram
02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Until they kick me out. ;)

Seeing as it's a penal colony in the first place, I don't see why they would.

The week of the 8th was my first week back at school. I was in the process of getting myself mentally prepared the day before for all the reading I would be doing for the four seminars I'm taking, and pretty much said "Screw that!" when I picked up aMoL the next day at Chapters (the one that was closed when we met up, GL). I proceeded to read it as often as I could, unfortunately having to put it down during class. I ended up finishing it early in the morning on Friday - I couldn't go to sleep until I had finished the book, so I was up readin until 5 that morning. And I was reffing that night, too. :blegh:

maacaroni
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
You've got a year then!