PDA

View Full Version : What made you laugh? - spoilers

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
“How would you feel,” Elayne said softly, “if you saw your queen trying to kill a Trolloc with a sword as you ran away?”
“I’d feel like I needed to bloody move to another country,” Birgitte snapped, loosing another arrow, “one where the monarchs don’t have pudding for brains.”

Birgette never mincing her words... that was a moment of pure awesome!

What other points in the story made you laugh out loud?

Daekyras
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Birgette never mincing her words... that was a moment of pure awesome!

What other points in the story made you laugh out loud?

Strangely enough I didn't enjoy this. I saw it as Fan Service.

It is kinda funny though...

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
The part where Marcia gets hit in the face with the football. Ohhhh, my nose.

Well, you didn't specify IN THE BOOK.

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 09:23 AM

I did say "in the story"...

yks 6nnetu hing
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
I didn't really laugh out loud much with WoT as a whole, but in the last book I did find the Perrin bits to be exceptionally entertaining and humorous in a subtle way.

sleepinghour
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah, there were some amusing bits in Perrin's POVs.

"I don't care about power, Lanfear," he said, watching her as she continued to stroll. She was pretty. Not as pretty as Faile, of course.

Cortar
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I laughed when Lan took command and someone commented about him not hesitating and him saying "what am I, a farmer from the middle of nowhere?" (or something to that effect)

Sinistrum
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
I suspect that a lot of the parts that I found funny will be whined about as "fan service" (still not sure what people mean by that or why it's such a problem). I actually found the Rand/Mat pissing contest funny, as well as Elayne cursing around both Uno and Mat. I'm also dying to see Lan and Karede in an epic staring contest.

Davian93
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM

It was more sad than funny...given that it ended her chances of being a teen model.

Cortar
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
I suspect that a lot of the parts that I found funny will be whined about as "fan service" (still not sure what people mean by that or why it's such a problem). I actually found the Rand/Mat pissing contest funny, as well as Elayne cursing around both Uno and Mat. I'm also dying to see Lan and Karede in an epic staring contest.

Because those scenes are enjoyed by the "plebeian, average" fans. HCF are more refined in their sense of humor.

Sid
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
I laughed at the Birgitte quote listed above. I think there was maybe one or two other things in the entirety of AMoL I found genuinely humorous, but I can't remember them specifically. I don't feel like wading through the many, many lame attempts at humor to find them in a re-read though.

mogi67
01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
I laughed at the bit when Mat referred to Tuon's "luscious rump" after they got it on.

It wasn't so much the line itself that was funny, it was imagining B Sand sitting in front of his computer giggling to himself

Lost One
01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Whatever.. I guess that you think they (writers are supposed write books that we WONT enjoy, and that we are supposed to read them anyway. Please.. I have seen British Television. Funniest british show I ever saw was Father Ted (So I hear you a racist, Father?)(By the way, I do not watch American TV either.. it really sucks)

Anyway, I found the parts that were supposed to be funny, or ironic, very much so, and smile giggle or snicker, when I read them.. each time.. I travel alot and since it has came out, I have kept the book with me, and read it during moments of down time. I am sure those around me wondering what I am snickering at.

To answer Miss Fionwe's question, one part that comes to mind is when Matt orders Uno to retreat off the heights. Uno is wondering why the hell Mat is in charge as he remembers "TGH Mat". Then the Sharans, Demandred, and the Trollics all attack at once and his thoughts had changed from ridiculous, to "It was the finest order any man had ever given".

Lost One
01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Reading about how people talk about fanservice and the like sounds much like Thom being snooty that people all want the tales told in Common and not High Cant. Do we even have refence of anything said in High Cant? All we have is common and the Old Tongue.

Ieyasu
01-30-2013, 02:47 PM
"Fan Service" is the terminology BS and staff have said to use rather than "Breaking the 4th wall"

There are times his nods and winks to various fans, fansites, and random theories have jolted many of us out of immersion in the story.

I loved the bragging contest between Rand and Mat, thought it was very funny. I laughed quite a bit at Mat in general during the entire confrontation, trying to figure out Rand's song, bugging him etc.

I laughed at the reversal with Egwene thinking to "save" Mat from the Seanchan.

I laughed at the scene in which Fortuona said they would have words, and Mat replied there are lots of words he liked.

I laughed when Mat was talking to the sun, after the Last Battle.

I snickered with Lan when he said, what am I, a shepherd from nowhere? Hell, I was giggling like a loon as the horsebeats of the charge kept getting stronger and louder and Lan didnt look around. I belly laughed when the dude said he wanted to see Lan smile for once, and laughed alongside Lan.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
"Fan Service" is the terminology BS and staff have said to use rather than "Breaking the 4th wall"

There are times his nods and winks to various fans, fansites, and random theories have jolted many of us out of immersion in the story. .

The fan service thing just cracks me up. A group (or groups) of people specifically devoted to seeking/analyzing every little nuance (every.little.nuance.) of a fictional tale bitch because the author ACKNOWLEDGES them in some miniscule way. The common reader would not ever even know that Linda, for example, was given a wink. Or even who the hell LINDA is for that matter. Or that gay male characters were outed. Some folks like it, most folks are not even aware of it...that is the point. Get over it already. 4th wall. Whatever. You take yourself out of the story immediately when you start to analyze stuff that ISN'T THERE. It isn't like a pepsi can is sitting on the Amyrlin's desk.

---the information contained in this post is meant with affection btw. I get why folks have an issue with it, but I also laugh at the reason. I poke you, I poke you, I poke you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V735FVxQPkc)! ----

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Miss Fionwe's

Huh?

Rand al'Fain
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Rand and Mat pissing contest was awesome. Legitamately sounded like a couple of old friends. Actually, a lot of the things from Mat were pretty entertaining.

And can't forget Lan's line about being a sheepherder.

Ieyasu
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
The fan service thing just cracks me up. A group (or groups) of people specifically devoted to seeking/analyzing every little nuance (every.little.nuance.) of a fictional tale bitch because the author ACKNOWLEDGES them in some miniscule way. The common reader would not ever even know that Linda, for example, was given a wink. Or even who the hell LINDA is for that matter. Or that gay male characters were outed. Some folks like it, most folks are not even aware of it...that is the point. Get over it already. 4th wall. Whatever. You take yourself out of the story immediately when you start to analyze stuff that ISN'T THERE. It isn't like a pepsi can is sitting on the Amyrlin's desk.

---the information contained in this post is meant with affection btw. I get why folks have an issue with it, but I also laugh at the reason. I poke you, I poke you, I poke you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V735FVxQPkc)! ----

I could give a shit less about lind's appearance in the story, or gay people in there, I do not tend to comment on gay character threads or anything Linda writes about. I can not even say I have ever bothered to read a single one of her essays or anything outside the few posts she has made here. (and I do not mean that as a disrespect towards her... I just dont know her or read her... only 'of her') Clearly, breaking that 4th wall did not bother you as much as it bothered other people. Perhaps it amuses you, I personally was not amused. I hated the hundreds of freebie fan names within the story. It wouldnt have bothered me so much if they were more...natural sounding, but knowing he took literally hundreds of names... it jarred me each time. I may be inclined to agree with you if it were my theories being winked and nodded, or my screen name being used... but since its not and I recognize the pandering, it takes me out of the story. I am not sure who this group of individuals you refer to are, but I often laugh at the people who seem to think BS is some wonderful gifted writer, and I would definitely not consider myself a part of these people. Who exactly do you think is going out of their way to analyze and specifically find all the bad instances of BS's writings? I view the error thread as a failing on team jordan's behalf more than BS... particularly the bad grammar and poor spelling, and hope that future editions or ebook releases may be able to correct some of these errors. I dont think people are pointing them out because BS sucks or something, but in hopes that they can be fixed for future reprints... at least that is why I post in them, maybe it is a bit of a stretch to think others do as well. I wish there were as few spelling errors in BS's WOT books as there are in his own solo books... that kind of thing bothers me as well. It is a break of the 4th wall, and it is out of respect for Sanderson and his staff that I change what it is and call it "fan service"

Just because there are parts I do not like in this book doesnt mean there arent parts that I absolutely loved.

Lost One
01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Huh?

You are Female, correct? and considerable younger that I (I assumed 1987 was your brith year, as many use that in a screen name). I was just trying to be considerate and polite in my address.

frenchie
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I liked the part of Mat's letter where he warned Galad to to watch out for foes with quarter staffs, since he has had problems with them in the past.

Lost One
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I could give a shit less about lind's appearance in the story, or gay people in there, I do not tend to comment on gay character threads or anything Linda writes about. I can not even say I have ever bothered to read a single one of her essays or anything outside the few posts she has made here. (and I do not mean that as a disrespect towards her... I just dont know her or read her... only 'of her') Clearly, breaking that 4th wall did not bother you as much as it bothered other people. Perhaps it amuses you, I personally was not amused. I hated the hundreds of freebie fan names within the story. It wouldnt have bothered me so much if they were more...natural sounding, but knowing he took literally hundreds of names... it jarred me each time. I may be inclined to agree with you if it were my theories being winked and nodded, or my screen name being used... but since its not and I recognize the pandering, it takes me out of the story. I am not sure who this group of individuals you refer to are, but I often laugh at the people who seem to think BS is some wonderful gifted writer, and I would definitely not consider myself a part of these people. Who exactly do you think is going out of their way to analyze and specifically find all the bad instances of BS's writings? I view the error thread as a failing on team jordan's behalf more than BS... particularly the bad grammar and poor spelling, and hope that future editions or ebook releases may be able to correct some of these errors. I dont think people are pointing them out because BS sucks or something, but in hopes that they can be fixed for future reprints... at least that is why I post in them, maybe it is a bit of a stretch to think others do as well. I wish there were as few spelling errors in BS's WOT books as there are in his own solo books... that kind of thing bothers me as well. It is a break of the 4th wall, and it is out of respect for Sanderson and his staff that I change what it is and call it "fan service"

Just because there are parts I do not like in this book doesnt mean there arent parts that I absolutely loved.

Hmm.. I admit I am new here. While I have been reading this from the beginning and would even pack my books and take them overseas with me, I have never been to a convention, met or corresponded with a writer (of any book), or talked with any other fans outside of a chance and casual meeting. So I am one of the millions who have no idea that either RJ or BS gave someone a wink or used a person's name, and if even if I was told about it, I would not spot it. I have no idea who Linda, or anyone else who you are referring to is, what she did or what the wink and nod was. This is why these type posts confuse me, with the talks of fanservice,and I never heard of 4th wall until 5 minutes ago. I mean, I had assumed that fan service was a reference to something added after a multitude of letters were recieved with questions or comments that people thought should be mentioned. You make it sound as a more personal nod and wink to an individual.

Lost One
01-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I liked the part of Mat's letter where he warned Galad to to watch out for foes with quarter staffs, since he has had problems with them in the past.

I should be effen Flogged, hung up by my toenails, abused by Shaidar Haran, then stuffed in a Trolloc's cookpot!!!! I just got that... By a goat's left stone, I feel stupid... Mother's milk in a cup.. (though I never really did get that one)

Ieyasu
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Hmm.. I admit I am new here. While I have been reading this from the beginning and would even pack my books and take them overseas with me, I have never been to a convention, met or corresponded with a writer (of any book), or talked with any other fans outside of a chance and casual meeting. So I am one of the millions who have no idea that either RJ or BS gave someone a wink or used a person's name, and if even if I was told about it, I would not spot it. I have no idea who Linda, or anyone else who you are referring to is, what she did or what the wink and nod was. This is why these type posts confuse me, with the talks of fanservice,and I never heard of 4th wall until 5 minutes ago. I mean, I had assumed that fan service was a reference to something added after a multitude of letters were recieved with questions or comments that people thought should be mentioned. You make it sound as a more personal nod and wink to an individual.

Well, the wink to Linda was personal and individual, and did not bother me so much. Coming out with male gays to balance all the female gays we have already seen did not bother me much either... I am just glad Moridin didnt turn fruity like some people were hoping for ;)

But take Murandy and Roedran. There is no time prior to the meeting at FoM where Rand ever once suspected Demandred to be there. An example of the online community effecting the outcome within the book. The effect of a Q&A question of Demandred hasnt been seen 'on-screen' since X book. That scene was a hat-tip to the various people who believed in that theory spun out from that answer. Not any one site or fan in general, since it appeared all over... this was "fan service" I did not like, and took me out of the story. I blinked and asked myself out loud... since when did Rand worry about Demandred there? *I* know the theory, but why would Rand? If Rand was so sure or so worried... why is Roedran's appearance the first clue we hear of this concern?

...back on topic, I also laughed when Cadsuane asked Rand if he had gotten her a gift, and then gave him permission to save the world.

Sinistrum
01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
But take Murandy and Roedran. There is no time prior to the meeting at FoM where Rand ever once suspected Demandred to be there. An example of the online community effecting the outcome within the book. The effect of a Q&A question of Demandred hasnt been seen 'on-screen' since X book. That scene was a hat-tip to the various people who believed in that theory spun out from that answer. Not any one site or fan in general, since it appeared all over... this was "fan service" I did not like, and took me out of the story. I blinked and asked myself out loud... since when did Rand worry about Demandred there? *I* know the theory, but why would Rand? If Rand was so sure or so worried... why is Roedran's appearance the first clue we hear of this concern?

So writers aren't allowed to tailor their stories to their fans input on it?

Davian93
01-30-2013, 07:08 PM

No...they should stay true to their own story that they outlined. I want to hear their voice, not read theoryland in a novel.

Ieyasu
01-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Ah, but this is not BS's story, and these are not BS's fans.

RJ said he never changed if fans picked up or failed to get it... how about we increase the wager, gentlemen? ;)

Fourth Age Historian
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
since when did Rand worry about Demandred there? *I* know the theory, but why would Rand? If Rand was so sure or so worried... why is Roedran's appearance the first clue we hear of this concern?

I don't know, it seems plausible for Rand to believe that and keep it close to the vest... he's capable of reasoning within the story as much as we are outside of it.

Not saying anyone is "right" or "wrong" about this idea of fan service, but it didn't bother me too much. I don't know that any of the instances were so out of line with the story that they didn't make sense.

I'm also not sure if the "fourth wall" applies to prose. Isn't that specifically a theater concept? I'm also not sure it's an accurate characterization even if it does apply to literature, because the characters don't show awareness that they are performing for an audience. Food for thought.

NOTE: After typing that, I see that Wikipedia at least does say that the term can be used to extend to other forms of art, and that "otherwise acknowledging" the audience is part of the definition. So, with a broad interpretation it could apply here.

Fourth Age Historian
01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Further to my thoughts on the fourth wall, tvtropes.org says this:

Breaking the fourth wall is when a character acknowledges their fictionality, by either indirectly or directly addressing the audience. Alternatively, they may interact with their creator (the author of the book, the director of the movie, the artist of the comic book, etc.). This is more akin to breaking one of the walls of the set, but the existence of a director implies the existence of an audience, so it's still indirectly Breaking The Fourth Wall. This trope is usually used for comedic purposes.

It should be noted that other sources will refer to any fiction that draws attention to its fictionality as "Breaking The Fourth Wall". Our definition is a bit narrower: Breaking The Fourth Wall only occurs if the characters acknowledge the audience or the author, whether directly or indirectly, got it? It's not enough that I recognize my status as a wiki page, it's the fact that I'm commenting to you about it!

So clearly, there is division in critical circles as to how broadly or narrowly to use the term.

Sinistrum
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
No...they should stay true to their own story that they outlined. I want to hear their voice, not read theoryland in a novel.

So if a writer has an idea that his fans absolutely hate, and he knows they hate it before incorporating it into his story, should he go ahead and do it anyways?

Ah, but this is not BS's story, and these are not BS's fans.

So BS has nothing to do with the writing process for the three books he helped bring about? Nothing at all?

RJ said he never changed if fans picked up or failed to get it

Really? I'll just leave this here.

A remarkable admission, coming from him (Demandred). Or an attempt to hide being the one who had worn Sammael as a disguise. She (Aran'gar) would like very much to know who had begun playing her own game. Or whether Sammael really was alive. KoD At the Gardens p. 140

So RJ never tailored his story to respond to fan questions, concerns, or comments huh? Guess teasing of the issue of Sammael being alive still after CoS in that quote was just pure coincidence and had nothing to do with all the questions he was asked about with regard to whether it was true or not by his fans.

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
You are Female, correct? and considerable younger that I (I assumed 1987 was your brith year, as many use that in a screen name). I was just trying to be considerate and polite in my address.
Maybe not so much with the guessing of gender for you...

Fourth Age Historian
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
So, on topic response, every soon Uno was in made me laugh. Especially when he was reminiscing about the times he should've died.

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
So if a writer has an idea that his fans absolutely hate, and he knows they hate it before incorporating it into his story, should he go ahead and do it anyways?
Of course he should. Its his story, not Chose your own Adventure!

So BS has nothing to do with the writing process for the three books he helped bring about? Nothing at all?
He has a lot to do with it. But since he promised to stay as true to RJ's vision as possible, wouldn't it be better to keep to RJ's naming conventions and not inflict the readers with masterpieces like "Tijds"?

Really? I'll just leave this here.

So RJ never tailored his story to respond to fan questions, concerns, or comments huh? Guess teasing of the issue of Sammael being alive still after CoS in that quote was just pure coincidence and had nothing to do with all the questions he was asked about with regard to whether it was true or not by his fans.
This was not fanservice. Did anyone seriously think by KoD that Sammael was alive?

Sinistrum
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Of course he should. Its his story, not Chose your own Adventure!

And what do you think would be the impact upon that writer's continued ability to write and be published of such a decision? What do you think would be the impact on you, the fan, and your ability to continue to enjoy said writers writing if he or she were to write something that just about everyone else hates?

He has a lot to do with it. But since he promised to stay as true to RJ's vision as possible, wouldn't it be better to keep to RJ's naming conventions and not inflict the readers with masterpieces like "Tijds"?

I bolded what I think are the operative words in that paragraph. As possible given what? That BS isn't RJ or that they have differing writing styles or that RJ unfortunately wasn't able to give a complete picture of where he wanted every little detail to go so all BS had to do was sit down and type it all out in complete sentences instead of short hand?

This was not fanservice. Did anyone seriously think by KoD that Sammael was alive?

Seriously? I mean you're seriously going to argue that? Like with a straight face and everything?

fionwe1987
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
And what do you think would be the impact upon that writer's continued ability to write and be published of such a decision? What do you think would be the impact on you, the fan, and your ability to continue to enjoy said writers writing if he or she were to write something that just about everyone else hates?
If an author writes to please fans and increase sales, he's not an author I want to read. Not to mention that the strawman situation you created doesn't exist, in reality. Can you possibly think of one thing everyone will hate, and also convey to the author?

I bolded what I think are the operative words in that paragraph. As possible given what? That BS isn't RJ or that they have differing writing styles or that RJ unfortunately wasn't able to give a complete picture of where he wanted every little detail to go so all BS had to do was sit down and type it all out in complete sentences instead of short hand?
How does it matter? In either case, coming up with crap names based on real life people is straying unnecessarily from RJ's vision.

Seriously? I mean you're seriously going to argue that? Like with a straight face and everything?
Ummm... yes?

Sinistrum
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
If an author writes to please fans and increase sales, he's not an author I want to read.

So large appeal to an author's writing is just coincidence? They just stumble upon best sellers without any thought to what their fans would like huh? If that is your stand, then I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you should pretty much just stop reading all major published works of fiction, WoT included. You should probably stick to unpublished indy manuscripts then, though I should warn you, the only way you'll get access is to ask people who will give you a big long lecture about how you've never heard of the author, how they were the first ones to hear of them, and how letting people like you get access to it will constitute "selling out." There might also be bad goatees and skinny jeans involved too.

Not to mention that the strawman situation you created doesn't exist, in reality. Can you possibly think of one thing everyone will hate, and also convey to the author?

When did I say everyone would hate it. I'm pretty sure I didn't. Speaking of strawmen, how's yours working out for you? I acknowledged that there will always be a small minority that will like an idea, no matter how repugnant to everyone else. So thinking of something that everyone will hate isn't possible but its also not the question here and entirely irrelevant. But I can think of a ready example of an idea conveyed in what could be considered an artistic story telling medium that a good majority of its following hated in the controversy over the Mass Effect 3 ending. There, simple. Now answer my questions? What do you think would the impact on such a decision on a writers continued ability to write and publish and a reader's, who enjoys such a writer, ability to continue reading his works?

How does it matter? In either case, coming up with crap names based on real life people is straying unnecessarily from RJ's vision.

Because BS ISN'T RJ. They've both got their own individual writing styles and creative processes, processes that lead to differing results, such as with character names. All BS could do was use what notes and ideas RJ put down before his death and adapt those notes to his own style. What you're asking for isn't "staying true to RJ" it's above and beyond. You wanted BS to adopt RJ's creative process, which is an impossible task.

Ummm... yes?

Then you pretty much just ignored the point of that portion of KoD. RJ was just more sublte about his fan service. He was not above it and to pretend otherwise is just willful ignorance. I could cite to multiple other examples of such "fanservice" from RJ.

connabard
01-30-2013, 11:25 PM

I don't really care about fan service, it doesn't really do much (negative, or positive) for me
but I agree with this. If I had to pick, I'd want an author that would write what he wants to write regardless if fans will like it not, because it's his book. But, realistically, I would only ever really hate fan service if it changed the outcome of something, otherwise winks and nods aren't that bad.

Cor Shan
01-31-2013, 03:03 AM
Also, this:
http://wotopia.tripod.com/humor.html
especially the drinking game, is kinda funny in hindsight just because so many things seen as totally implausible in 2001 (just after WH) wound up happening or seemed reasonable then seem insane now.

(DOTNM being Berelain? what.)

Daekyras
01-31-2013, 05:29 AM

Hmm, sini, you should read some GRRM...

As for the fan service- I have no real problems with the slight name drops, or the gay characters. In fact it was handled much more tastefully then i would have thought possible.

I do have a problem with things that don't gel. The main one of these is the absolute abuse that Birgitte gives Elayne. And several others give towards her.

I don't have exact quotes but something like "If that is elaynes idea it is a good one and one more than she has ever had before" or something to that effect.
No-one talks to or about her in the previous books like this and suddenly in is direct and harsh.

This is fan-service if ever I have read it. On a side note, I HATE elaynes character. Always have, probably always will. This is not me defending her as, well, she IS an idiot. I just don't want the writer reflecting readers opinion of her.

Gawyn(another character I do not like) dying like a punk is another one imo. After tGS and ToM he should ahve been beyond that retarded thought processes he displays in aMoL. Glory? Personal glory? When has he ever thought like that??

David Selig
01-31-2013, 05:48 AM
I do have a problem with things that don't gel. The main one of these is the absolute abuse that Birgitte gives Elayne.

Birgitte has always talked like that to Elayne. A few examples:

"“Wise?” Birgitte growled, feet apart and fists planted on her hips. “Wise? The girl wouldn’t know ‘wise’ if it bit her on the nose!"

"“I can hardly abandon Merilille,” Elayne said more patiently than she felt. Perhaps she was not weary any longer, but neither did she feel particularly fresh, not at all ready to put up with badgering. But she did not want to snap at Aviendha. “She might feel something of a fool, standing there with a letter announcing that I’m coming and I don’t come. Worse, I would feel a fool.”

“Better to feel a fool than be one, ”Birgitte muttered

Birgitte was the first to arrive, the bond filled with weary discontent. “A ride?” she said, and when Elayne explained, she began raising objections. Well, some of it was objections; the rest was just insults.
“What hare-brained, crack-pated scheme are you talking about, Birgitte?” Vandene said

This is what I found in WH and KoD in 3 minutes, there's plenty more.

I don't have exact quotes but something like "If that is elaynes idea it is a good one and one more than she has ever had before" or something to that effect.
Wasn't this Cadsuane? That's how she talks about everyone.

Terez
01-31-2013, 06:07 AM
Humor that was actually in character for Mat (unlike some other examples listed in this thread): all his threats to the Seanchan. They took them seriously, and he didn't seem to notice.

connabard
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
No-one talks to or about her in the previous books like this and suddenly in is direct and harsh.

This is fan-service if ever I have read it. On a side note, I HATE elaynes character. Always have, probably always will. This is not me defending her as, well, she IS an idiot. I just don't want the writer reflecting readers opinion of her.

Gawyn(another character I do not like) dying like a punk is another one imo. After tGS and ToM he should ahve been beyond that retarded thought processes he displays in aMoL. Glory? Personal glory? When has he ever thought like that??

People have always been harsh to Elayne, and Birgitte first among them. I'm pretty sure making people be completely rude to a character isn't fan-service, especially since I know a lot of Elayne fans.

Gawyn's sigil was a charging boar, this has been discussed forever, and was bound to die by being a complete dumbass.

Daekyras
01-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Birgitte has always talked like that to Elayne. A few examples:

This is what I found in WH and KoD in 3 minutes, there's plenty more.

Wasn't this Cadsuane? That's how she talks about everyone.

Not one of the examples you have given is anywhere close to what is said in aMoL. Not even in the same ball park.

And the only one said directly to elayne is an old saying we have in our time aswell and is muttered under her breath.

And yes, the quote was from Cadsuane. Where does she make any comment regarding Elayne in the previous books that are similar to this one?

@connabard

Harsh is one thing. Directly insulting her intelligence to her face is not common.

Where in previous books does Gawyn think about "glory" for himself. I truly dislike the character but he was never like that. He seemed to have three thoughts- Egwene, Kill Rand and look after the younglings.
In aMoL he is foccused on personal glory.

GonzoTheGreat
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Well, he was no longer involved with the Younglings; those had been dissolved. He had subcontracted killing Rand to the DO, so that was done too. What was left was Egwene; in theory he had her, but in reality she was less use to him than Tuon was to Mat.
Then again, he didn't really do it for personal glory, he made the attempt to kill Demandred because that was something that needed doing.

Gawyn's problem is that he listened to the wrong version of Yoda: "Think not. Do or do not. There is no think."
He's not thinking of glory, he is simply doing things.

Dom
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Gawyn's sigil was a charging boar, this has been discussed forever, and was bound to die by being a complete dumbass.

Gawyn's was a long story of feeling inadequate and making bad and rash decisions to overcome this feeling. He was always in the shadow of Galad, who did play the role of older brother/protector to Elayne much better than Gawyn, who was rather an enabler to Elayne, shielding her disobedience, her pranks etc. Heck, that's what his introduction in the series showed us... Gawyn letting Elayne flatly disobey his mother's orders, and afterward befriending a stranger. It's Galad who arrived and did the job of First Prince.

Then Gawyn mimicked Galad standing up to the Amyrlin for Elayne. Of course he made all the wrong calls, turned against his own teacher and killed him, and got embroiled in politics he didn't understand and ended up on the wrong side... only to betray it soon after by letting Siuan escape.. and that action gave a solid boost to the AS rebellion, was the first step to make it happen. What was Gawyn thinking serving a side in that conflict, and worse, serving another than his sister? Whoever won, it endangered Andor's position with the WT. Then he continued to serve Elaida despite being explained he was on the wrong side, despite being told Elayne was on the other side. Instead of resigning to go to Elayne's side the minute he heard of Morgase's death (it was his duty to do that), he stayed with Elaida, but when Elaida was about to win, he again betrayed on whims.. not because he believed in the Rebels's cause, but because he thought to become Egwene's protector against all sides.. when now the roads were clear of snow and he no longer had any excuse not to return to Elayne. Then of course he went against Egwene's wishes, and once more ended up appearing chastised and professing loyalty and obedience.. but when he took the rings it was obvious Gawyn had not changed one bit. He was never made to serve, always chose the wrong time and wrong cause to play the Hero. He had to rely on Galad as his moral compass, for himself had none, and he had very little sense of duty, always rushing to play the hero at the wrong time, wrong place or for the wrong cause or person - and always causing a mess with consequences for others he didn't care about. Elayne was very unfair to Galad. Galad did know the consequences, he just believed that "doing right" was rarely achieved without consequences, that there was a cost you had to weight (a very Moiraine Damodred-like attitude, by the way). It's Gawyn who always made calls causing a mess he didn't notice or didn't care for.

Egwene suffered quite a bit from the same problem, she had this habit of improvising/making rash decisions in the heat of the moment. The Pattern used this habit to good purpose, but it was still there.... eg: making Elayne/Nynaeve AS, changing the plans she made with Siuan at the last minute and opening the novice books to everyone, deciding at the last minute to replace Bode and getting captured, going into the dinner convinced she had to keep her calm... and losing it, etc. Her last mistake of this kind was bonding and marrying Gawyn.

But well... Egwene like Gawyn was meant to die from her last rash action, and as usal her rash decisions were bad for her (and occasionally for the sisters), but good for the Pattern. Her death was necessary for Rand, without Egwene dying in an effort to "save the world" (which considering it was all in Rand's hand, his choice, wasn't as meaningful as some make it to be), Rand was about to make the wrong call with Shai'tan.

Lan would also have probably died, had he been the first to challenge Demandred. After the two dingbats, Lan surprised Demandred, who was also more tired.

Daekyras
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
, he made the attempt to kill Demandred because that was something that needed doing.

Gawyn's problem is that he listened to the wrong version of Yoda: "Think not. Do or do not. There is no think."
He's not thinking of glory, he is simply doing things.

Wasn't that Galads Motivation? Gawyn clearly thinks about doing something glorious on the battlefield...

David Selig
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
And yes, the quote was from Cadsuane. Where does she make any comment regarding Elayne in the previous books that are similar to this one?
Cadsuane has always been insulting and dismissive towards almost everyone. So nothing new here.

The point of my quotes was to show that Birgitte has never held her tongue with regards to Elayne, even with other people around, and tended to snap at her quite often. Nothing new there.

And if Sanderson wanted to provide fan service with the lines you quoted in AMOL because he thought most fans hate Elayne, why are so many characters praising her to the skies throughout the book? In the first chapters Rand couldn't shut up about how much Elayne taught him and what an awesome leader and politician she was, and Perrin, Aviendha, Tam and others joined in the chorus later on.

Dom
01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Wasn't that Galads Motivation? Gawyn clearly thinks about doing something glorious on the battlefield...

Yeah... he completely misunderstood the job of a warder. He was rather oblivious to the fact his role protecting Egwene, worth "thousands of soldiers", was his greater duty. He never considered the consequences for her of his "suicide". Going for Demandred was just the icing on the cake, he had already committed himself by wearing the bloodknives rings (three of them!), despite being told the consequences by Egeanin. He didn't even forewarned Egwene of what he had done... she could at least have prepared herself for his death (release the bond when she felt it happening), not try to save him when in fact it was pointless as he had signed his death warrant putting on the rings.

Daekyras
01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
The point of my quotes was to show that Birgitte has never held her tongue with regards to Elayne, even with other people around, and tended to snap at her quite often. Nothing new there.

Your quotes show nothing even remotely close to what was said directly to Elayne in aMoL.

GonzoTheGreat
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah... he completely misunderstood the job of a warder. He was rather oblivious to the fact his role protecting Egwene, worth "thousands of soldiers", was his greater duty. He never considered the consequences for her of his "suicide". Going for Demandred was just the icing on the cake, he had already committed himself by wearing the bloodknives rings (three of them!), despite being told the consequences by Egeanin. He didn't even forewarned Egwene of what he had done... she could at least have prepared herself for his death (release the bond when she felt it happening), not try to save him when in fact it was pointless as he had signed his death warrant putting on the rings.
Actually, before she simply dumped him, she could have tried having him Healed. For all we know, that might actually have broken the connection. If it didn't work, then there was still time for alternative plans to be made.

Brita
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, the wink to Linda was personal and individual, and did not bother me so much. Coming out with male gays to balance all the female gays we have already seen did not bother me much either...

I also quite liked that women were included in the borderland battles (and this was mentioned several times throughout the book, that women were joining the frontlines) which I felt was a direct response to Leigh's re-read but was also a great addition as it fit well with the dire end-of-world situtation.

As for humourous, I liked Mat's struggle between liking the ridiculous Seanchen oufits and resisting them.

connabard
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Gawyn's was a long story of feeling inadequate and making bad and rash decisions to overcome this feeling. He was always in the shadow of Galad, who did play the role of older brother/protector to Elayne much better than Gawyn, who was rather an enabler to Elayne, shielding her disobedience, her pranks etc. Heck, that's what his introduction in the series showed us... Gawyn letting Elayne flatly disobey his mother's orders, and afterward befriending a stranger. It's Galad who arrived and did the job of First Prince.

Then Gawyn mimicked Galad standing up to the Amyrlin for Elayne. Of course he made all the wrong calls, turned against his own teacher and killed him, and got embroiled in politics he didn't understand and ended up on the wrong side... only to betray it soon after by letting Siuan escape.. and that action gave a solid boost to the AS rebellion, was the first step to make it happen. What was Gawyn thinking serving a side in that conflict, and worse, serving another than his sister? Whoever won, it endangered Andor's position with the WT. Then he continued to serve Elaida despite being explained he was on the wrong side, despite being told Elayne was on the other side. Instead of resigning to go to Elayne's side the minute he heard of Morgase's death (it was his duty to do that), he stayed with Elaida, but when Elaida was about to win, he again betrayed on whims.. not because he believed in the Rebels's cause, but because he thought to become Egwene's protector against all sides.. when now the roads were clear of snow and he no longer had any excuse not to return to Elayne. Then of course he went against Egwene's wishes, and once more ended up appearing chastised and professing loyalty and obedience.. but when he took the rings it was obvious Gawyn had not changed one bit. He was never made to serve, always chose the wrong time and wrong cause to play the Hero. He had to rely on Galad as his moral compass, for himself had none, and he had very little sense of duty, always rushing to play the hero at the wrong time, wrong place or for the wrong cause or person - and always causing a mess with consequences for others he didn't care about. Elayne was very unfair to Galad. Galad did know the consequences, he just believed that "doing right" was rarely achieved without consequences, that there was a cost you had to weight (a very Moiraine Damodred-like attitude, by the way). It's Gawyn who always made calls causing a mess he didn't notice or didn't care for.

Egwene suffered quite a bit from the same problem, she had this habit of improvising/making rash decisions in the heat of the moment. The Pattern used this habit to good purpose, but it was still there.... eg: making Elayne/Nynaeve AS, changing the plans she made with Siuan at the last minute and opening the novice books to everyone, deciding at the last minute to replace Bode and getting captured, going into the dinner convinced she had to keep her calm... and losing it, etc. Her last mistake of this kind was bonding and marrying Gawyn.

But well... Egwene like Gawyn was meant to die from her last rash action, and as usal her rash decisions were bad for her (and occasionally for the sisters), but good for the Pattern. Her death was necessary for Rand, without Egwene dying in an effort to "save the world" (which considering it was all in Rand's hand, his choice, wasn't as meaningful as some make it to be), Rand was about to make the wrong call with Shai'tan.

Lan would also have probably died, had he been the first to challenge Demandred. After the two dingbats, Lan surprised Demandred, who was also more tired.

Fucking Gawyn. I really liked him in EotW and then he sided with Elaida and from that point on, I hated him and was overjoyed with his death.

I'm also still shocked at Demandred being SUCH a better Swordsman than Lan... I mean, it makes sense, since Demandred probably dueled with swords for a good majority of his channeling-extended life and then more so in his return in the third age, but Lan always seemed unbeatable.
That being said, I liked it, because I really dislike main characters being the BEST at things (was very happy when Nynaeve was no longer the strongest channeler/best healer)

Dom
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
(was very happy when Nynaeve was no longer the strongest channeler/best healer)

And she accepted it in times and didn't become obsessive, when the whole point of characters like Demandred or Lanfear didn't accept they couldn't be LTT.

Nynaeve was great, because she always strived to outshine herself, to break her own limits, without obsessing with comparing herself to others... except with Moiraine with whom she entered a whole pissing contest (even seducing and "stealing" her warder), but in the end she gave that whole rivalry up and paired up with her old rival.

And yeah, I sort of liked that Demandred was better at the sword than Lan, while I also liked the whole implication that he believed himself the best in the world in strategy/tactics while his mastery over Mat all rested on having a spy near Mat who reported a lot of his moves, until Mat figured it out and started hiding from Demandred what he could. By then Demandred was relying more on sheer strength and numbers. So yeah, he was an exceptional general, but he still cheated to appear even greater than he was. That was funny.

finnssss
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Fucking Gawyn. I really liked him in EotW and then he sided with Elaida and from that point on, I hated him and was overjoyed with his death.

I'm also still shocked at Demandred being SUCH a better Swordsman than Lan... I mean, it makes sense, since Demandred probably dueled with swords for a good majority of his channeling-extended life and then more so in his return in the third age, but Lan always seemed unbeatable.
That being said, I liked it, because I really dislike main characters being the BEST at things (was very happy when Nynaeve was no longer the strongest channeler/best healer)

He wasn't such a better swordsman than Lan though.
It says right in Lan's PoV that had he come into the fight at 100% and fresh like Demandred it might have been a different story.

That should be read that they would be about equal if both come into the fight at peak condition IMO.

It seemed pretty clear to me anyway, that Demmy had to abandon anything other than his sword play to be able to press Lan to an advantage.
When he was trying to hold Lan off and channel something as simple as throwing things at him, Demandred was breathing hoarsely.

I got the distinct impression that if Demandred tried to weave anything too complicated and devoted any less concentration to his sword, Lan would have taken his head off.

Anyway...as far as scenes that made me laugh...when Mat leads one of the Banners of horse into the Sharan's, knocks the woman out, takes on dozens of Sharan's with just a handful of men, is viewed with awe after by a man that was most likely planning to revolt and to top it all off Mat accidentally promotes said man to the low blood by spitting his nail at his feet.
THAT IMO was a very well written Mat scene by BS.

Lost One
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
The part about Roedran. I had not considered that rand thought that or that Roedran might be Demandred, until I started reading stuff here. But I thought that was you guys haveing more insight and contact with author's through conventions and Q & A's, than it going the other way. Now I understand and agree. "nuff said from me on this, it is off topic.

There are many scenes that had me grinning, most involved Mat. But I had just thought of one scene that if slightly altered would have been absolutely Priceless. My version goes like:

Meller has just killed Birgitte, and is about to kill/abuse Elayne. But instead of immediately getting shot in the back of the head with an arrow, B. shoots him in the shoulder (leg or elsewhere) and he then turns to face the new threat and what does he see, but the woman he just murdered. He does a double take by (and we get a repetition of "You !!" as he looks at her body on the ground and then back at her. All the comments he had thought, as well as off scene comments that probably took place with his DF buddies along the lines of, "Bloody woman thinks she is Birgitte". DF's would probably include in thier remarks what they would do to her if they got the chance..ect. It sinks in the Meller that, yes.. she actually WAS Birgitte from the stories.. Right before a coup de grace.. That would have been awesome

jameshazza
02-01-2013, 12:28 AM
I think there were much more laughs and giggles in this than in most other books. I have to say the Mat pissing contest with Rand actually made me cringe. Although I found the interaction between Mat and Tuon amusing, actually I always find anything Tuon or Seachan in general amusing. The 'praise her Holy name' scene with Min for example, I thought that was hilarious.

Davian93
02-01-2013, 08:01 AM
And she accepted it in times and didn't become obsessive, when the whole point of characters like Demandred or Lanfear didn't accept they couldn't be LTT.

Nynaeve was great, because she always strived to outshine herself, to break her own limits, without obsessing with comparing herself to others... except with Moiraine with whom she entered a whole pissing contest (even seducing and "stealing" her warder), but in the end she gave that whole rivalry up and paired up with her old rival.

And yeah, I sort of liked that Demandred was better at the sword than Lan, while I also liked the whole implication that he believed himself the best in the world in strategy/tactics while his mastery over Mat all rested on having a spy near Mat who reported a lot of his moves, until Mat figured it out and started hiding from Demandred what he could. By then Demandred was relying more on sheer strength and numbers. So yeah, he was an exceptional general, but he still cheated to appear even greater than he was. That was funny.

Well, good espionage has always been a huge part of warfare. I'd imagine the Germans would have been far more effective in both WWI and WWII had we not broken their codes. WWI especially on the Naval side of things. Their navy pretty much never left Wilhelmshaven without the Brits knowing about it in advance. Jutland was one of the few battles that they didnt have advance warning and it was because the Germans didnt use their wireless beforehand...because they suspected that their codes were compromised.

Mat's fancy new gateways and raken were much the same thing. I doubt he does nearly as well without that knowledge.

tarski
02-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I just about lost it when Rand started speaking in all caps. It pushed an already ridiculous scene right over the edge, and all I could think of was this:

Demandred: SORRY, GREAT LORD, BUT I DON’T KNOW HOW TO TURN OFF MY OWN BIG VOICE. HEY. THIS IS KIND OF COOL. I AM THE GREAT LORD. OBEY ME OR DIE. LET THE LORD OF CHAOS RULE.

ShadowbaneX
02-01-2013, 05:40 PM
tangent: I think I found where Rand is.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2dgrxnp.jpg

Lost One
02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
The part about Roedran. I had not considered that rand thought that or that Roedran might be Demandred, until I started reading stuff here. But I thought that was you guys haveing more insight and contact with author's through conventions and Q & A's, than it going the other way. Now I understand and agree. "nuff said from me on this, it is off topic.

There are many scenes that had me grinning, most involved Mat. But I had just thought of one scene that if slightly altered would have been absolutely Priceless. My version goes like:

Meller has just killed Birgitte, and is about to kill/abuse Elayne. But instead of immediately getting shot in the back of the head with an arrow, B. shoots him in the shoulder (leg or elsewhere) and he then turns to face the new threat and what does he see, but the woman he just murdered. He does a double take by (and we get a repetition of "You !!" as he looks at her body on the ground and then back at her. All the comments he had thought, as well as off scene comments that probably took place with his DF buddies along the lines of, "Bloody woman thinks she is Birgitte". DF's would probably include in thier remarks what they would do to her if they got the chance..ect. It sinks in the Meller that, yes.. she actually WAS Birgitte from the stories.. Right before a coup de grace.. That would have been awesome

Sorry.. I just re-read the scene yesterday... I guess I read it too fast and thought Mellar died without knowing who killed him. But still A repition of the "YOU... NOOOO" scene would have been great.

Lost One
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
"Fire!" Talmanes shouted, Waving his hand down to give a visual cue incase any of the men could not hear him.

Smoke filled the cavern, explosions echoing against Talmanes earplugs, as the dragons recoiled, releasing a strom of death into the trollocs. The broadsied the fists, sweeping them out of the way, leaveing them broken and dying. The nearby Whitecloaks cheered and raised swords.

Neald shut the gateway and the dragoneers reloaded their weapons. Neald then opened a gateway above them to vent the dragon smoke out of the cavern complex.

"Are you smiling?" Daerid asked.

"Yes", Tamanes said, satisfied.

"Blood and bloody ashes, Lord Talmanes... that expression is horrifying on you." Daerid hesitated. "You should probably do that more often".

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Years of maturing, years of age, had brought Tam an understanding of the void. He understood it now, better than he ever had. Years teaching Rand responsibility, years of living without Kari, years of listening to the wind ...
Apparently, Nynaeve wasn't the only one who did that.

Lost One
02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
For Nynaeve, "listening to the Wind" was a manefestation of the OP. She did not understand it as such, however.

For Tam, on the other hand, it had nothing to do with channeling. It had to do with an understanding of self, his place in the world, and his understanding of the the environment. .. That said, waht if, for Tam, there was aa scene of Desperation where he has to save someone, can't and then.. Bam.. the attacker of whoever he wants to save, suddenly burst into flames.. revealing that he can channel.. would it have worked or detracted?

Ivhon
02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
For Nynaeve, "listening to the Wind" was a manefestation of the OP. She did not understand it as such, however.

For Tam, on the other hand, it had nothing to do with channeling. It had to do with an understanding of self, his place in the world, and his understanding of the the environment. .. That said, waht if, for Tam, there was aa scene of Desperation where he has to save someone, can't and then.. Bam.. the attacker of whoever he wants to save, suddenly burst into flames.. revealing that he can channel.. would it have worked or detracted?

I would have hated hated hated that. Janduin? Ok, if you have to. Tam? No. Reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies where EVERYBODY has to be a jedi. Blech. Gag.

Lost One
02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I actually have to agree, but just thought I would throw it out. And I see your point. It is like all the people who, being dissatisfied with their life and feel that there is something more, go to a hypnotist to reveal their past life and learn that they were queen/princess so and so. I mean really, how come no one was a peasent in a past life.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
First of all, I nearly pooped my flaming pants when Rand and Roedran met in that tent. I loved that moment. Now you know where I stand.

Second, WoT is a collection of possible worlds, archetypes, myths, legends, cultural traditions, histories, and literature. One of the biggest draws of this series is that it makes no apology for having knowledge of self. The whole damn key to victory was knowledge of self. A story that never stops its characters from comparing their lives to "heroes in the stories" should be able to include this so called "fan service" because it is all stories, all worlds. The very nature of the WoT world allows for (if not demanding) real-world references & headnods.

Personally, I think this "fan service" makes it easier to feel like a part of the story. Like how Thom was pissed that actors play the characters to show you a story - the gleeman puts you in the story.

fionwe1987
02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
This was a bit of Mat humor that rang true:

Looking back at the maps, Mat felt like cursing again. Maps, maps and
more maps. Pieces of paper. Most of them had been sketched by Tuon’s
clerks in the fading light of the previous evening. How could he know they
were accurate? Mat had once seen a street artist drawing a pretty woman at
night in Caemlyn, and the resulting picture could have been sold for gold as a dead-on representation of Cenn Buie in a dress.

This was hilarious.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Gawyn's was a long story of feeling inadequate and making bad and rash decisions to overcome this feeling.

Yes. Dom's explanation = perfect.

I hated Gawyn & Elayne for most of the series. I didn't hate many characters - good or bad. I kinda loved Egwene. However, I hated the Trakands.

My only "complaint" about Elayne in AMoL was that she seemed to be redeeming herself, and that felt out of character. Sure, she still got caught by the bad guys, but was it entirely her fault this time? And her interactions with Rand actually made her tolerable.

Gawyn, on the other hand, met essentially the perfect fate. He killed himself by putting on those rings. But, then, he was so hasty, confused, and impatient that he rushed off and got himself killed before he could even die! (That does make sense, trust me.) The charging boar fits him possibly better than any other sigil (except Perrin's wolf, I guess). I see no "fan service" there, whatsoever.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
My favorite laugh of the book:
"The Aiel," Perrin said. "The tool that needs to be used. A treaty that needs to be enforced..."
Rand hesitated, then grinned widely. "You're a genius, Perrin."
"So long as it's about blacksmithing, I suppose I know a thing or two."
"But this...this isn't about blacksmithing, Perrin..."
"Of course it is," Perrin said. How could Rand not see that?

I like this one because what Arganda says would be perfectly normal, if he was talking about anyone else; but, since it's Mat, it makes me laugh pretty hard:
"Cauthon's alive," Arganda said with a grunt.
"Where is he?"
"Don't know," Arganda said, folding the paper and tucking away the ciphers. "The messenger said Cauthon opened a gateway in front of him, threw the letter in his face, and told him to find me."

And, yes, this moment gets a bit less funny when Elayne hits the punchline (even though I enjoyed the anticipation of knowing she was going to do it); but, I still find it hilarious when it ends with "You want details?":

"Elayne?" he asked, wiping his brow with his sleeve. "I'd heard that you're the flaming - the Queen now. I guess that's what should have happened, with you being the bloody Daughter-Heir. Sorry. The Daughter-Heir. Not bloody at all." The Shienaran grimaced.
"You can swear all you want, Uno," Elayne said dryly. "Nynaeve isn't around. What are you doing here?"
"The Amyrlin," he said. "She flaming wanted a messenger, and I was bloody chosen. Already gave Egwene's bloody report to your commanders, for all the bloody good it will do. We've set up our flaming battle positions and started scouting out Kandor, and the place is a bloody mess. You want details?"

"Pity," Birgitte said, "he was a good drinking companion. I'd have liked him to stay a little while." Through the bond, Elayne felt a different reaction from her, as she watched Uno's backside.