PDA

View Full Version : Spin Offs - What would you be interested in? spoilers

Scaw
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
What spin offs of the WoT would you be interested in now after reading AMoL and knowing how it all ends?

My ideas:
- Olver's adventures. I like him, his POV were among my favorites in AMoL. Maybe him meeting the Aiel or meeting Birgitte newborn. I think Olver is a good candidate for Gaidal (although I read that RJ said it is not him).

- Seanchan. Maybe how Mat helps reclaim the Seanchan home territory or how he fares with Tuon. But Seanchan would be also good to introduce some new characters.

Of course it would be interesting to sprinkle in a guest appearance by Rand but I do not know about a whole book just about him and his wifes.

What spin offs would you be interested in?

Rand al'Fain
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Mat and Tuon, obviously. Would like to know what happens with the Band as well. May as well throw Olver in there, since he's Mat's adopted son, more or less.

Lan and Nynaeve, possibly along with rebuilding Malkier.

Moiraine and Thom. See if they continue to wander the world.

Rand and his 3 wives of course, just to know what happens there, along with his kids.

Perrin and Faile along with what happens with Saldea and the Two Rivers.

Androl and Pevara. We only really saw them in AMOL, but they had one of the best arcs in the book. Which also ties into how the Black and White Towers coexist. And maybe throw in Logain and Cadsuane as well for kicks.

And of course, good ol' Loial. Would like to know if he ever get around to finishing his book.

Most of those could probably be done in a paragraph or two, which would be fine by me, but the others would make for interesting books.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Cadsuane

Amys & the Wise Ones

Balwer

codetoast
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I think loial finished his book. We read parts of it in the last two books.

Kimon
02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Hawkwing & Amalasan.

neurotopia
02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
PoV for the Forsaken, who they were before the Bore and why they decided to join the Shadow. Particularly Elan's descent, and the rivalry between Lews Therin/Sammael, and Lews Therin/Demandred. Also, how Semirhage managed to hide how effed up she was and what went through her mind while she was doing it. How Moghedien earned her nickname. Why Bel'al is The Netweaver. That kind of stuff.

GonzoTheGreat
02-08-2013, 03:33 AM
How Moghedien earned her nickname. Why Bel'al is The Netweaver.
Those two seem related. Yet, as far as we know, they didn't cooperate with each other in the Third Age.

Mort
02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
I'd like all of those be published. Preferably as short stories though, not huge novellas. Or at least like a 100-200 pages tops.

Oh, and could Rand pop in as a Fizban/Zifban sort of character? That would be awesome. :D

padfoot89
02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Strike at Shayol Ghul from the POV of LTT and the other forsaken.

maacaroni
02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The Tam backstory.

Ah well.

mac
02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Asha'man special forces/death squad hunt down some remaining Dreadlords. Think Zero Dark Thirty or The Debt set in Randland. Maybe Narishma could head them up.

Shara. With the Aiel Waste opened up and contact reestablished, we have a new culutre and society to explore. One of my favorite aspects of the series. Maybe a Brown with an Asha'man warder travels there to study their culture and gets into all sorts of misadventures. Or Valan Luca goes to procure more boar horses.

Aiel stories. You could have a book with three unrelated groups that chronicles the Aiels future and new life. The rebuilding of Rhuidean, an Aes Sedai goes to live amongst the Wise Ones (didnt Cadsuane muse about this being a good idea privately?), and the Aiel quelling a rebellion or something involving their "police" work. Would probably be a little light on action though.

Give Leilwin and Domon a ship and turn them loose on the high seas. Pointless, fun adventures. Fighting pirates, or perhaps shipwrecked in the Land of The Madmen?

The Travels of Jain Farstrider. Write it, print it, bind it, watch it fly off shelves. A no brainer and my favorite idea.

Mat and Tuon and the reunification of Seanchan is the most obvious choice, because RJ was actually going to do it and it is full of potential for cool stuff and general awesomeness. Unfortunately it would also be full of Seanchan customs and general snobbiness. I would read and enjoy it but it would probably frustrate me.

All that said...It aint happenin. But fun to wish!

Yellowbeard
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I liked Rand being able to will his pipe to light at the end of AMOL. I think RJ had some kind evolution in power for Rand. Like he's not Tavern anymore because the Pattern can't push and pull him. Instead, he's got willful control over the Pattern.

And there'd be some reason for the Wheel to evolve Rand like that. I think the Wheel wasn't done w/ the Dragon Soul yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing something about the future of Lan/Nynaeve or Matt/Tuon, either.

I think also that prequels like Tam's story, or something set in the fall of Manetheren could be cool if done right. Especially if you could tie it to something critical that set off a chain of events that was still impacting the course of things during the main books.

Working in Olver as a grown young man and him turning out to be a sparker...he's the main character of outriggers and you see the rest of what happens through his adventures. That could be cool!

The Unreasoner
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could very well be), but don't we already know what the Outriggers are about?

IIRC:
Mat/Tuon
Talaan/Merilile(/Merana/Merise)
??? (Cads?)

ETA:
If we're talking about what we'd like to see, I wouldn't mind a Birgitte/Gaidal, or a Perrin/Faile. I frankly couldn't give two shits what Rand is up to (but I wouldn't mind a cameo, so long as we aren't hit over the head with it). I'd pay money to not hear another word about Androl.

Dom
02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Talaan/Merilile(/Merana/Merise)
??? (Cads?)

No idea where you got those two.

The only outriggers we know of is the Mat/Tuon "and a few others" trilogy.

The only two other stories RJ had talked of were the two prequels, Tam's story, and the story of how Moiraine and Lan arrived in the nick of time to the Two Rivers.

It was basically a "quest for the DR" triptych

Perhaps Brandon gave one of his vague hints about Merise/Talaan. He did that a few times pre-AMOL. We thought back then there were many notes for the outriggers, we know since it's actually two sentences and Brandon was distracting us or purely guessing some unresolved things were perhaps for the Mat/Tuon outriggers.

What happened to Talaan/Merise was hinted at in AMOL. She resurfaced in Cadsuane's forces. There was a group of (50?) AS around which Elayne's spies were catching whispers of "Cadsuane". Talaan and Merise vanished from Caemlyn but no one saw them leave the city. And she reappears with Cadsuane. Connect the dots...

This was used as a red herring that either Merise was gone to Romanda or Lelaine and would expose a lot of things about the Bargain that would throw Egwene, who was hiding some details from the Hall, in big troubles, then after as a red herring that Careane had killed them.

They sought refuge with a group of sisters that seemingly were gathering stragglers/fence sitters in the WT conflict and convincing them to remain together and stay out of the WT conflict, a group most likely lead by a follower of Cadsuane she set to that task mot long before moving on with a few select followers to meet Rand in Cairhien (he was believed in Caemlyn not long before, it makes sense Cadsuane first went there).

They were not involved in the battle of Caemlyn, so Cadsuane seemingly had those sisters fetched at some point off screen (and brought to Tear, most likely), in prevision of the LB after Rand gave the date of its start. That wasn't a very satisfying resolution not to hear that she suddenly had a big contingent of followers who came from the Silver Swan, but Talaan with Cadsuane's forces at SG makes this the obvious resolution to what happened. It's a bit subtle for Brandon, perhaps RJ's notes didn't connect the dots, just made Talaan return with Cadsuane's forces in TG and they missed the connection to the Silver Swan AS (a joke name for an Inn typical of RJ.. the swan with silver air. AS were compared to swans, It hinted to Cadsuane) and didn't think to include that.

skaywalker
02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Dom, just to be clear it was Merilile who escaped with Talaan.. Merise was always with Cadsuane, she was the one who went to the Salidar Aes Sedai and relayed Rand's offer to bond 47 Ashaman. And yes Merise was in AMOL, but as far as I can remember Merilile never got mentioned.

GonzoTheGreat
02-10-2013, 04:21 AM
And yes Merise was in AMOL, but as far as I can remember Merilile never got mentioned.
That's simple: "For they were not two women, and never had been."