PDA

View Full Version : Twice Dawns the Day Prophecy

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
spoiler fill lalalalalala

lalalalalalalalal

Ok, so I am re-reading the ending and this came to me:

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed. Once for mourning, once for birth.
vs. Loial's thoughts:

The day was coming to an end. The day of the Last Battle! It was the Fourth Age now, wasn't it? Could an age start in the middle of the day? That would be inconvenient for the calendars, wouldn't it? But everyone agreed, Rand had sealed the Bore at noon.

Heh. The "day" is one, but it is actually in TWO different ages. The day dawned as the last day... but also dawned to become the first day of a new Age.

Dom
02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I thought it was rather confusing that the eclipse didn't end above SG as Rand exited the Pit only.

Personally I would have kept the eclipse ongoing at SG through the whole confrontation, lasting days at SG, and minutes elsewhere. Only one eclipse, of course, but perception of the duration altered by the location of the characters.

I don't think the alteration of time was so well portrayed though the book, for e.g. Thom standing at the exit of SG did not perceive that time flowed differently in the Valley, that what lasted a few days for him lasted many more for people down there. Things probably should have appeared blurred and slowed to Thom's eyes, and more like TAR, with a lot of flickering. While he paid attention to the west, when he turned his gaze back east the situation there would have been completely different than it was minutes before, etc. The fact the flow of the eclipse, of night and day, was very different the further you went from the Pit should also have created many oddities with the light.

Brandon didn't play much the "weirdness"/impossibility card in the book, probably less than RJ would have considering his love to play it in TAR/Sindhol. Stuff should have happened in the Valley/Mountain to rival the weirdness of Sindhol, for instance. It was alluded to - told to us by Lanfear, but not shown to us much that the barriers between worlds were down. Only Perrin perceived that "flickering" between worlds from TAR, in the real world we didn't see it. It's probably why Perrin's Hammer near the mountain could kill Darkhounds as it would have in TAR, for instance.

I was also a bit baffled that instead of being nearly omnipresent, phenomenons like the Ghosts and the shiftings of reality were barely present in AMOL (IIRC, ghosts last appeared in the earliest Black Tower scenes and that was it. Disappointing a little). I think Brandon used that stuff way too sparingly overall, when it was becoming weirder and creepier by the minute by KOD. I kept expecting soldiers to get trapped in apparitions in the vein of the Shiotan village, found ghosts among them often, or see the position of armies/features to shift once in a while, for appearing patches of Blight to interfere, but it never happened short of the occasional Bubble plot device.

Cor Shan
02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
I was also a bit baffled that instead of being nearly omnipresent, phenomenons like the Ghosts and the shiftings of reality were barely present in AMOL (IIRC, ghosts last appeared in the earliest Black Tower scenes and that was it. Disappointing a little). I think Brandon used that stuff way too sparingly overall, when it was becoming weirder and creepier by the minute by KOD. I kept expecting soldiers to get trapped in apparitions in the vein of the Shiotan village, found ghosts among them often, or see the position of armies/features to shift once in a while, for appearing patches of Blight to interfere, but it never happened short of the occasional Bubble plot device.

To be fair, I thought the use of the Hinderstap villagers was pretty clever.