PDA

View Full Version : Crowning Moment of Awesomeness - spoilers

Frenzy
02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Go finish the book. Seriously. Don't be that guy. And don't spoil it for yourself. This is the last book, for Light's sake. Suck it up and keep reading.

Ok, i finally finished the book. Still downloading & analyzing it. But two things really stand out for me:

1) I always said that Imram and RJ were in the beyond, enjoying a pipe and a drink and knowing how the story turned out since at least 2007. I now can see them sitting back, smiling, because we're now in on it.

2) I was literally cheering out loud when Lan held Demandred's head aloft. Gawyn failed, Galad failed, Logain failed, Lan kicked ASS!! And he barely needed the foxhead to do it. That was probably my favorite scene in the book.

more later...

Eclipse
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Lan/Demandred is probably my second favorite.
As we both know, my favorite is the scene that I wrote myself years ago. Even better than having Mat Pawn and TAR Pocket confirmed as true (still waiting on those though). Touch was hanging off gardened balconies to hide from guards clear back in '02. ... wonder when the royalties will start rolling in :D

Sodas
02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
It certainly ended the question who is the best swordsman in Randland.

Glad you enjoyed the book Frenzy. :)

Sent from my XT897 Using ForumTouch for Android

Res_Ipsa
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
I liked Ituralde's promise to ruin the shadow for ruining him. It seems he fought the most of the great captains but that scene in particular was very enjoyable for me. Considering the Aiel were primarily with him (minus the spears with Elayne), it went well with their whole "spit in Sightblinder's eye."

Lost One
02-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Companioning that scene is Mat after Loial tells him, Lan fell, but took Demandred.

While he is sad, he still praises Lan loudly and gives a resounding "Tai Shar Malkier".

I also really liked Tam as he fought. He is the overlooked/hidden Swordmaster. He might not have been able to take LAn or Demandred, but I think that he could have taken Gawynn and Galad. The were made out to be so great, but both fell. And Lan's response to watching Tam.

"I have often wondered if the man who gave Rand a Heron Marked blade was worthy of it. Now I know. Tai Shar Manatherin".

Lan was deeply impressed.

If given a Medallion, could Tam have taken Demandred? I mean, it was just not his skill with the sword, it was also his understanding of the Oneness.

Rand al'Fain
02-04-2013, 02:48 AM
Companioning that scene is Mat after Loial tells him, Lan fell, but took Demandred.

While he is sad, he still praises Lan loudly and gives a resounding "Tai Shar Malkier".

I also really liked Tam as he fought. He is the overlooked/hidden Swordmaster. He might not have been able to take LAn or Demandred, but I think that he could have taken Gawynn and Galad. The were made out to be so great, but both fell. And Lan's response to watching Tam.

"I have often wondered if the man who gave Rand a Heron Marked blade was worthy of it. Now I know. Tai Shar Manatherin".

Lan was deeply impressed.

If given a Medallion, could Tam have taken Demandred? I mean, it was just not his skill with the sword, it was also his understanding of the Oneness.

Though Tam is very experienced, he himself admitted in his POV that he's not as young or energetic as he used to be. Although experience can cover for this, it can only do so to a certain point. And considering Demandred had decades, if not centuries more of swordplay than Tam, Tam would probably not have fared as well. Remember, while Lan was keeping his skills sharp by traveling with Moiraine for 20 years, Tam was tilling fields and shearing sheep while raising Rand.

Awesome moment for me, when Androl dumped all of that lava on the trolloc horde that was about to overtake Elayne's forces.

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Though Tam is very experienced, he himself admitted in his POV that he's not as young or energetic as he used to be.
Amusingly enough, Tam is about the same age as Lan.

Brita
02-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Crowning moment of awesomeness for me:

When Loial dug deep and turned their song of mourning into their battle song again. That scene gave me shivers.

Davian93
02-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Amusingly enough, Tam is about the same age as Lan.

I'd imagine the warder bond makes their relative ages quite different though.

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Maybe Tam is secretly Elaida's warder. Would be sort of like the Dumbledore thing, wouldn't it? "But wasn't that obvious to everyone?"

Daekyras
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Maybe Tam is secretly Elaida's warder. Would be sort of like the Dumbledore thing, wouldn't it? "But wasn't that obvious to everyone?"

Like dumbledore bonded harry?

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Anyway, I Loved ths bit. Especially the "Who are you?"

"I'm the man who will kill you"

That = Badass. In fact, it may be into my top fantasy quotes list.

Lost One
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
He probably could not have taken Demandred, and fighting as part of a formation is not the same as fighting a duel, but Tam still was bad ass all around.

Lan's Epic scene however was not the first time, but the second time.

"I have you," Demandred finaly growled, breathing heavily. "Whover you are, I have you. You cannot win."

"You did not listen to me." Lan whispered.

One last lesson. The hardest..

Demandred Struck, and Lan saw his opening. Lan lunged forward, placing Demandred's swrod point against his own side, and ramming himself forward onto it.

"I did not come here to win, "Lan whispered, smiling. "I came here to kill you. Death is lighter than a feather"

This is also a microcosm of the whole battle. Lan, knew that he was not fresh, came in and was willing to let himself be blooded, in order to get he cut he needed. This is much like Mat, being willing to feint and parry withthe troops while looking for the one opening to hit with everything.

suttree
02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Crowning moment of awesomeness for me:

When Loial dug deep and turned their song of mourning into their battle song again. That scene gave me shivers.

That was very well done.

Ishara
02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
"I did not come here to win, "Lan whispered, smiling. "I came here to kill you. Death is lighter than a feather"

This is also a microcosm of the whole battle. Lan, knew that he was not fresh, came in and was willing to let himself be blooded, in order to get he cut he needed. This is much like Mat, being willing to feint and parry withthe troops while looking for the one opening to hit with everything.

This.

Wunderwaffe
02-05-2013, 09:36 AM
This is totally off-topic, and if it's been addressed before, I apologize.

I have a question regarding Demandred/Bao the Wyld's armor in A Memory of Light. Was armor of that "type" discussed at all in previous books, interviews, blogs, discussions? I'm not particularly adept at using the WoT Database. Here's one of the passages that I'm referring to, although there are many others strewn throughout the book.

A Memory of Light Ch. 22 The Wyld page 404

"And then, near the captives, the air bent. Egwene couldn't describe it any other way. It warped and ... and seemed to rip apart, twisting like it did above the road on a hot day. Something formed from this disruption: a tall man in glistening armor.

He wore no helmet and had dark hair and light skin. His nose was slightly hooked, and he was very handsome, particularly in that armor. It looked to be constructed all of coins, silvery and overlapping. The coins were polished to such a shine, they reflected the faces around him like a mirror."

What do we know about this armor, if anything, other than the details provided in book fourteen?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Wunderwaffe

Rand al'Fain
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM

I have a question regarding Demandred/Bao the Wyld's armor in A Memory of Light. Was armor of that "type" discussed at all in previous books, interviews, blogs, discussions? I'm not particularly adept at using the WoT Database. Here's one of the passages that I'm referring to, although there are many others strewn throughout the book.

A Memory of Light Ch. 22 The Wyld page 404

"And then, near the captives, the air bent. Egwene couldn't describe it any other way. It warped and ... and seemed to rip apart, twisting like it did above the road on a hot day. Something formed from this disruption: a tall man in glistening armor.

He wore no helmet and had dark hair and light skin. His nose was slightly hooked, and he was very handsome, particularly in that armor. It looked to be constructed all of coins, silvery and overlapping. The coins were polished to such a shine, they reflected the faces around him like a mirror."

What do we know about this armor, if anything, other than the details provided in book fourteen?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Wunderwaffe

It's called scale mail armor. It's flexible like mail armor, bur far more effective when dealing with thrusting/peircing weapons than mail. Here's an example.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/attachments/halloween-props/109446d1330660825-help-how-make-scales-dragon-armor1.jpg

Terez
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Only this (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=764#6).

Eilonwy
02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I was literally cheering out loud when Lan held Demandred's head aloft. Gawyn failed, Galad failed, Logain failed, Lan kicked ASS!! And he barely needed the foxhead to do it. That was probably my favorite scene in the book.

I FINALLY finished and I agree - I think that was also my favorite scene. Gawyn and Galad were boys with swords - Lan was the man!

I am still reeling from the sheer volume of characters that died, but it was, after all, the Last Battle. Still need to process everything I've read (and will have to re-read!) but I think it was a good ending. I am satisfied.

codetoast
02-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I was hoping mat would get a go at demandred 1 on 1. After all they were dueling with tactics all along. Also, this scene was in my head:
Demandred: "So you are Cauthon. Is that you behind that mask of mirrors Lews Therin. You may be stronger in the power, but I have beaten you on this battlefield"
Mat:"Nope im just a gambler"
Demandred:"Try your luck then gambler, I have defeated galad and gawyn in single combat. You don't stand a chance"
Mat:"Ohh, those guys, I beat them both at the same time, using a stick I found."
As Demandred charged forward enraged, the dice stopped rolling in mat's head.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I was hoping mat would get a go at demandred 1 on 1. After all they were dueling with tactics all along. Also, this scene was in my head:
Demandred: "So you are Cauthon. Is that you behind that mask of mirrors Lews Therin. You may be stronger in the power, but I have beaten you on this battlefield"
Mat:"Nope im just a gambler"

I actually expected that matchup...I mean I WAITED for it. Precisely because of the gambler connection:

TITLE: Lord of Chaos
CHAPTER: Prologue - The First Message
Mesaana found herself shivering and did not know whether she did so from excitement or fear. It could work; it could hand them everything. But it required luck, and gambling made her uncomfortable. Demandred was the gambler. He was right about one thing; Lews Therin had made his own luck as a mint made coin. In her opinion it seemed that so far Rand al'Thor did the same.

maacaroni
02-12-2013, 04:57 AM
I had him looking more like Rhulad Sengar:

http://seanmay.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rhulad-sengar-of-the-tiste-edur.jpg

Bane Darkwulf
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Lan has been fighting his whole life, keeping his skills and strength up. Tam has been tending a farm for the past 15-20 years, with his sword locked in a chest under his bed. Tam's abilities with a sword have atrophied, his mucles are not as well trained in its use as Lan's and he uses a bow more now, so no, Tam would not have been able to take down Demaindred.

GonzoTheGreat
02-21-2013, 04:03 AM
On the other hand, if Tam had gone to try, then surely Bela would have miraculously appeared from the other side of the battlefield to save the day. As a bonus, that would've delivered the Horn of Valere where it should have been.

Tanstaafl
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Lan has been fighting his whole life, keeping his skills and strength up. Tam has been tending a farm for the past 15-20 years, with his sword locked in a chest under his bed. Tam's abilities with a sword have atrophied, his mucles are not as well trained in its use as Lan's and he uses a bow more now, so no, Tam would not have been able to take down Demaindred.

Matt says that his dad was better than him with a bow staff and that his father always won at bel time except the times when rands father won. Matt defeated both Gawyn and galad at the same time even after being severely weakened by carrying the sl dagger for so long and the subsequent healing. Therefore everyone saying tam has done nothing with his skills all those years makes no sense. He is still a master and could at least stand in the same ring as LAN

GonzoTheGreat
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Good point, that.
Hammar moved to stand beside Galad, still groaning on the ground and trying to push himself up. The Warder raised his voice to shout, "Who was the greatest blademaster of all time?"
From the throats of dozens of students came a massed bellow. "Jearom, Gaidin!"
"Yes!" Hammar shouted, turning to make sure all heard. "During his lifetime, Jearom fought over ten thousand times, in battle and single combat. He was defeated once. By a farmer with a quarterstaff. Remember that. Remember what you just saw." He lowered his eyes to Galad, and lowered his voice as well. "If you cannot get up by now, lad, it is finished." He raised a hand, and the Aes Sedai and Accepted rushed to surround Galad.
What was obviously needed was a farmer with a quarterstaff. All that was seemingly available was a bunch of swordsmen, one of whom got lucky.

* Not actual title.

Weird Harold
09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
... so no, Tam would not have been able to take down Demaindred.

...Therefore everyone saying tam has done nothing with his skills all those years makes no sense. He is still a master and could at least stand in the same ring as LAN

Tam would NOT have been able to take down Demandred With A Sword.

The techniques and muscle memory developed for use with a Bow and/or Quarterstaff have nothing in common with those used with a Sword.

Tam (or almost any of the Two Rivers men) could (probably) have taken Demandred with a Staff.

Yellowbeard
09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Tam would NOT have been able to take down Demandred With A Sword.

The techniques and muscle memory developed for use with a Bow and/or Quarterstaff have nothing in common with those used with a Sword.

Tam (or almost any of the Two Rivers men) could (probably) have taken Demandred with a Staff.

Just a few quick thoughts...who says Demandred didn't know how to use a quarterstaff as well?

And in my own marital arts training, there are actually a lot of Jo staff (Basically a Japanese quarterstaff) techniques that are rather similar to Katana forms. They even correspond to empty handed equivalents, and all three use similar footwork, gross body/motor positions, etc.

In fact, I'd be surprised if Demandred wasn't pretty good with a staff, spear, knife, bow, etc.

suttree
09-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Just a few quick thoughts...who says Demandred didn't know how to use a quarterstaff as well?

And in my own marital arts training, there are actually a lot of Jo staff (Basically a Japanese quarterstaff) techniques that are rather similar to Katana forms. They even correspond to empty handed equivalents, and all three use similar footwork, gross body/motor positions, etc.

In fact, I'd be surprised if Demandred wasn't pretty good with a staff, spear, knife, bow, etc.

The staff and bow are the weapons of peasants and farmers. I doubt Demandred would have deigned to learn them.

Yellowbeard
09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
The staff and bow are the weapons of peasants and farmers. I doubt Demandred would have deigned to learn them.

Maybe in the Randland culture, but would that have been the case in the AoL when they all first started practicing such things as a sport? And in a society where there is minimal violence, especially between states, how would any weapons be lower or higher class if there weren't any weapons to start with for anyone?

GonzoTheGreat
09-06-2013, 02:39 AM
That is true if you grow up in a (semi-)medieval society, where the sword is the ultimate weapon.
However, in our own world, the staff is the weapon of wizards, and the bow is the weapon of Robin Hood, while the sword is the weapon interchangeable and disposal minions. Was the culture that Demandred grew up in more like ours, or more like the one that Rand was raised in?

Rand al'Fain
09-06-2013, 03:36 AM

Actually, there's a Bo staff (standard about 6ft long for an adult, or custom made being about an inch or so taller than the wielder) and the Jo staff (basically a shorter version, with the standard around 3ft long).

The staff used by Matt and company is generally going to be the 6ft bo staff variant. And, having used it myself, as well as swords, jo staffs, sais, kamas, and various other weapons, a bo staff and a sword are considerably different.

An actual jo staff (3ft variant) would be closer to a sword, yes, but it is not what is used by farmers and sheepherders and other folk, even in the Two Rivers.

Hugh the Hand
09-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Not too surprising, but this got off track pretty fast.

I think the moment that Rand is facing the DO, and rehashes all those that got knocked down, but kept fighting him. And closes it with Lan... obviously was meant to be awesome and I think it succeded.

Weiramon
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Aye, this.

suttree
09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Aye, this.

:D

Yup, I walked right into that.

Daekyras
09-12-2013, 04:53 AM
:D

Yup, I walked right into that.

I believe that was galad's thinking right after his fight with Mat in tDR.

Gawyns were probably more like this: "I like olives. But not olive oil. its really slimy. I blame it on the olive oil making process. I will kill all the equipment. You'll pay for this Oil-Bore!!!"