View Full Version : Spins and weaves.. Spoilers

Lost One
02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
BLAH

BLAH BLAH

YADA YADA

BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH YADA BLAH

That should be enough. Anyways. I was thinking that there should have been some more inventive combat weaves. What happened to the little red lines woven of fire that is introed with Rand and Rahvin? Rand uses these several times and Logain knows them. Did not really see the Ashaman Deathgates, though that was more than made up for by the use of gates for combat.., not just to shoot through (I saw that coming as soon as the gateway concept was intro'd.. I thought it would be great for assasinations) but to take headds off, split trollocs open, dump lava through.. Ohhh... lol evil thing to do to trollocs, while holding the heights, use a super gate to open one in the the ocean to open above them, say 100 meters square.

I think it should have rained spears of Fire, Air, Ice. All of those have been channeled as swords.. Maybe it takes too long to weave, cast, and repeat. But I really did think we would see the little fiery wires.

Frenzy
02-04-2013, 01:29 AM
The impression I got was that the Light-side channelers were always on the verge of exhaustion (see Annoura). They probably were doing simple weaves of only Fire or only Earth to conserve strength and maximize damage per Power output.

Or i'm rationalizing monotonous writing ;)

We know the damane were also pretty one-dimensional when it comes to battle weaves. Any ideas why the Sharans weren't all that creative with theirs?

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2013, 03:30 AM
The Asha'man did use deathgates now and then. Androl specifically remarks that he couldn't make them work effectively enough, so had to use other methods.

A big gateway in the pass leading to Tha'kan Dar would have been a good idea, I think. The Light could have forted up behind it, attacking all those forces that tried to walk past, and Shadowspawn could not have attacked through it effectively.

There are a few reasons why there wasn't as much novelty as could be expected:

1. Complicated and slow loses to simple and quick in many cases.
Look at the many times when one channeler starts forming a certain weave, a second one sees it and calls it out, and a third has time to slice it to pieces with simple Spirit before the weave is really formed.

2. Experimenting with the OP is not always safe.
Consider the "AS weapon" which the Seanchan so assidiously sought. If they'd figured out how to reproduce it, they would have ended up with a buncn of burned out damane and sul'dam, lots of people with (temporary) deafness and burn wounds, and maybe once or twice an explosion.

3. If a skill is only practiced in practice situations, not in actual combat, then it becomes more form than reality eventually.
That wouldn't apply to the Seanchan, but it very clearly did apply to the Green 'Battle' Ajah. It probably also applied to the Sharans, who hadn't been in any real wars for a very long time.

4. All of the new weaves would have been called "the Flame of Tar Valon" anyways.

Lost One
02-04-2013, 12:17 PM
While I agree that a simple stream of fire would be easier to spin and control that a rain of fiery spears, it would have been nice to see the Greens; the Vaunted Battle Ajah, use some unique weaves. On the other hand, I thought some of them sounded lame. I mean, if had a couple of thousand/ten/a hundred thousand trollocs coming towards me, even if I was strongest using air, I would have came up with something better than a gust of wind to push them into each other. Maybe, make a razor wire, running horizontal across the front of movement at knee height. Thin.. hardly visible, and while not immedietly fatal, one cannot run with out legs.

I thought one of the best uses of the OP was Hessalim and the old standby of compulsion. I will bring that up in another thread. Egwene's weave.. the (hack, hack, gag, cough) Flame of Tar Valon, was a good one..(just a horrible name.. it is a good thing that she died and was not able to pass on that absurdity).

GonzoTheGreat
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe, make a razor wire, running horizontal across the front of movement at knee height. Thin.. hardly visible, and while not immedietly fatal, one cannot run with out legs.
Tacky and easy to jump over. Do it at belly height.
Then, 20 feet ahead, again. And then one at the height of the knees.

Would've been quite useful in narrow approaches like, for instance, the Tarwin's Gap or the pass towards Tha'kan dar.

Lost One
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
This would have been good, but would be intensive and required a circle. Trollocs/Sharan's charging, then right in front, spears of Earth just up to impale them, much like a pike wall. Front Row impaled, as with the second row behind and maybe the third. The uniformity of the enemy lines is disrupted.. Matter of fact, the spears would not have to be big enough to kill (power conservation) just about three to four foot high to impale the feet and legs. Still causes confusion and lose of rank cohesiveness, and these are now slow targets to be hit by archers. Also since this would not be as big, those behind would still keep pushing forward doing more damage.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
While I agree that a simple stream of fire would be easier to spin and control that a rain of fiery spears, it would have been nice to see the Greens; the Vaunted Battle Ajah, use some unique weaves. On the other hand, I thought some of them sounded lame. I mean, if had a couple of thousand/ten/a hundred thousand trollocs coming towards me, even if I was strongest using air, I would have came up with something better than a gust of wind to push them into each other. Maybe, make a razor wire, running horizontal across the front of movement at knee height. Thin.. hardly visible, and while not immedietly fatal, one cannot run with out legs.

I thought one of the best uses of the OP was Hessalim and the old standby of compulsion. I will bring that up in another thread. Egwene's weave.. the (hack, hack, gag, cough) Flame of Tar Valon, was a good one..(just a horrible name.. it is a good thing that she died and was not able to pass on that absurdity).

Two things...thought Egwene always said she was of no Ajah, and of them all, she in her heart believed she was Green (at least to my eyes). She came through big time for the Battle Ajah. So yeah, the Greens DID use something nifty. ;)

And all the fuss over the name...the Flame of Tar Valon. Please. If he had not named it that, SOMEONE HERE would have come up with it afterwards. :D Like RJs Sword Forms were works of art when it came to names? Stones Falling Down the Mountain. Yeah, BRILLIANT ! :cool:

The Unreasoner
02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
And all the fuss over the name...the Flame of Tar Valon. Please. If he had not named it that, SOMEONE HERE would have come up with it afterwards. :D Like RJs Sword Forms were works of art when it came to names? Stones Falling Down the Mountain. Yeah, BRILLIANT ! :cool:
It's the pomposity of the thing, not the retardedness. SFDtM, while it will never be the name of a HCFF's firstborn, at least did not induce gagging in me and Lost One.