PDA

View Full Version : What am I supposed to read now?

Universum
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Wow. Just finished AMoL, and am quite frankly lost. My friends for ten years are gone. Done. Now what?

So. I have to move on. Find myself some new friends and enemies.

What do you recommend? I am already acquainted with A Song of Ice and Fire, and I like it a lot. What else is out there? I do not like the Earthsea series. I know there are several other wonderful fantasy series out there.. Where should I begin?

Jalyn
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Not enough information, to know what you really like, but I suggest looking through the recommendation request thread in this forum. A bunch of us came up with ideas in a couple of different genres. If you narrow down what you like beyond "epic fantasy series" we might be able to give specific recommendations.

Ishara
02-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Can I humbly suggest trying Guy Gavriel Kay? Start with the Fionavar Trilogy: The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and the Darkest Road. :)

eht slat meit
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
If you've got access to an internet library-loan program, I'd personally recommend any and all works (graphic novels and books) by Neil Gaiman. American Gods immediately comes to mind, but is just one of many.

The Unreasoner
02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I'd recommend the Dune series. It's Sci Fi, not Fantasy, but it's still really good. And it's not annoying sf, (like with 'space' bullshit and ionic crap and 'photon' deus ex). Do yourself a favor though and stop after God-Emperor. And definitely avoid the shit written by his son. That is almost all lame sci fi. It could practically be Transformers 4.

eht slat meit
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
New series that I'm currently enjoying on my commute, The Walk, by Richard Paul Evans. A marketing executive living an ideal life loses his wife and everything around him crumbles in the wake of that death. As a means of coping, he begins a trek from Washington State to Key West Florida, meeting people and experiencing other lives along the way.

Note that it's not fantasy, and more American slice-of-life, with a touch of grit and darkness to it. Apparently the author has a wealth of books and movies under his belt, and since they trend to Hallmark, you can guess that the tragedies generally have a silver lining. If that's not your cup of tea, still highly recommending Neil Gaiman!

Made the mistake of picking up his second book first; they run in the following order:

The Walk
Miles To Go
The Road to Grace
A Step of Faith - TBR, 3 months