PDA

View Full Version : Horrible story

tworiverswoman
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
The number of people in this world who make me sick to my stomach has gone up after reading this (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4718109.ece).

From The Times
September 10, 2008
Battered baby left with his mother, court hears

Adam Fresco, Crime Correspondent

A baby was murdered by his mother and her boyfriend after initially suffering a catalogue of injuries including fractured ribs and a broken back that had left him paralysed, a court heard.

The 17-month-old boy was subjected to “a course of assaults of increasing violence” over many months at his North London home, despite being on a council’s at-risk register, the Old Bailey was told yesterday.

He was examined many times by doctors, seen by a health visitor and social workers and listed on Haringey’s child protection register for nine months as being at risk of neglect and physical abuse, the jury heard.

Despite this the boy, who along with the two adults cannot be named for legal reasons, received numerous injuries. The jury were shown computer-generated images of the injuries to protect them from having to see photographs of his body.

The baby’s 27-year-old mother, who has other children, her boyfriend, 32, and another man, Jason Owen, 36, all deny murder. The men deny causing or allowing the death of a child, although the mother has admitted allowing the death of a child.

Sally O’Neill, QC, for the prosecution, told the jury of seven men and five women: “Over the last seven or eight months of his short life (the child) was subjected to a course of assaults of increasing violence.

“The Crown’s case against these defendants is that either they themselves inflicted this unlawful force on (the child) or that they participated in a joint enterprise to do so.”

To break his back would require “an extremely forceful hyperextension of the spine by, for example, forcing a child’s back over your bent knee or over a banister rail. The effect would have been paralyses from the level of the injury down,” she said

Miss O’Neill said the injuries happened when all three defendants were living in the same house, although the mother constantly lied to the authorities that her boyfriend lived there.

“Whether they inflicted the injuries themselves or knew one of their co-defendants was doing so, the Crown case is that either way, they were a party to these unlawful assaults.”

By the time the boy was eight months old his mother had taken him to the GP a number of times as he had signs of bruising, Miss O’Neill said.

In December the mother took him back to the doctor for bruising to the head and most of the upper body. The baby was examined by a consultant paediatrician who felt the bruises were “very suggestive” of non-accidental injuries and social workers were alerted.

The baby was admitted to hospital in December 2006 and, on being discharged, was put in the care of a family friend. Later that month the woman and her own mother were arrested for assaulting the child.

A month later the boy was allowed home. Two days
before he was killed, he was taken to a child development centre at St Anne’s Hospital, Tottenham, North London, to be assessed.

Miss O’Neill said experts would testify that a number of injuries, including the spinal injury, were inflicted at least 48 hours before his death.

The day before the child’s death his mother and her own mother were told by police no further action would be taken against them, the court heard.

The next day, at 11.35am, a 999 a call was made from the child’s house. Paramedics found him with no sign of life and he was dead on arrival at hospital.

The case continues.

I know CPS sometimes makes mistakes, but ... you HAVE to be kidding me!

The following is FOXNews version of the same story -- there are additional, extremely gruesome details.

Baby With 8 Broken Ribs Dies After Social Workers Leave Him With Abusive Parents

Tuesday , September 09, 2008
http://www.foxnews.com/images/service_times_36.gif
A 17-month-old baby boy was murdered by his mother and her boyfriend despite being on a council "at risk" register and having already suffered a catalogue of injuries including eight fractured ribs and a broken back that left him paralyzed, a British court heard Tuesday.

The child, who along with the two adults cannot be named for legal reasons, was subjected to "a course of assaults of increasing violence" over many months at his home in North London even though he was being monitored by experts, the Old Bailey was told.

He was examined many times by doctors and was seen by a health visitor, social workers and was put on the Haringey Child Protection Register under the category of neglect and physical abuse for nine months, a jury was told.

Despite this he received numerous injuries — computer-generated images of which were shown to jurors to protect them from having to see the real thing.

Parts of the boy's fingernails and fingertips were missing, his head was covered in ulcerated sores and the skin between his upper lip and gum had been torn which, the court heard, was "highly suggestive of non-accidental injury, usually by forcing the teat of a bottle into a child's mouth or by a hard glancing blow across the mouth."

His fingernails, it was said, may have been deliberately removed.

His spine may have been broken when he was forced over the back of an adult’s knee or banister rail, jurors heard.

He also had many bruises to his face and body and was probably bitten on his scalp by a dog at the house. The baby was hit so hard on the night that he died in August last year that one of his teeth was found in his stomach.

The tot's 27-year-old mother, who has other children, her boyfriend, 32, and another man, Jason Owen, 36, all deny murder. The two men deny causing or allowing the death of a child, although the mother has admitted allowing the death of a child, but denies causing the death.

Sally O'Neill, QC, for the prosecution, told the seven men and five women of the jury: "Over the last seven or eight months of his short life (this child) was subjected to a course of assaults of increasing violence.

"The Crown's case against these defendants is that either they themselves inflicted this unlawful force on (the child) or that they participated in a joint enterprise to do so."

"The death of any child is tragic. The death of a child in these circumstances is likely to fill any reasonable person with revulsion."

The trial, expected to last up to eight weeks, continues.

Anaiya Sedai
09-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I am completely speechless.

Cary Sedai
09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I read it earlier, made me want to cry. Still makes me want to cry. It also makes me want to do not very nice things to the parents/boyfriend of parent/friend of parent...

Davian93
09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I was gonna post this but didn.t Absolutely disgusting as is that case in Florida where the young female killed her kid a few months back.

Sei'taer
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I got three bullets I can send over...or try them and then send them to Texas...