PDA

View Full Version : NPR's Top 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

Frenzy
02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Fun link: Guide to top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books (https://dl.boxcloud.com/bc/1/9ceb93b7b706adc4ce561993597ef756/JolueqOGpciD6dgYhecNBoVpYxkvmYe1ZLheZor6BF4DUBIelM QTkFwYIys3nIibNIIEHUp447tBZLaXDzIbNQ,,/b263adfa48cbbe62d12fd3ab9a046bd9/)

More fun: What's missing?

....and go!

Weird Harold
02-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Fun link: Guide to top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books (https://dl.boxcloud.com/bc/1/9ceb93b7b706adc4ce561993597ef756/JolueqOGpciD6dgYhecNBoVpYxkvmYe1ZLheZor6BF4DUBIelM QTkFwYIys3nIibNIIEHUp447tBZLaXDzIbNQ,,/b263adfa48cbbe62d12fd3ab9a046bd9/)

....and go!
oops:

The link you're trying to access can't be used to share files. Please ask the file owner to provide you with a shared link instead. Contact Box Support if you need help.

ETA: I think this is the same list? http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

Frenzy
02-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Probably, but the link i found was laid out as a decision-making flow chart.

GonzoTheGreat
02-25-2013, 03:32 AM
What is missing is the actual information you're trying to convey.

WH already hinted at that, but he was way to subtle, so I win this contest.

Frenzy
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
The link works for me, so i don't know what y'all's problem is :p

Demon
02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Im honestly surprised that harry potter isnt on this list. Unless i missed it.

Weird Harold
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
The link works for me, so i don't know what y'all's problem is :p

We just don't have your password. :D

Daekyras
02-26-2013, 05:29 AM
I'm a big fan of LotR. I really am. Loved the books when I was younger and was happy enough with the films.

However, how it tops polls of the greatest Sci-Fi and fantasy novels is beyond me. Its good- but in no way is it anywhere near the level of aSoIaF or WoT. Yet it consistently tops these lists.

Ditto for Dune- Good but very overrated. THe problem is people vote for what they "know" and genuine classics get left behind.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-26-2013, 06:05 AM
I LOVE the LotR books. The language, the plot, the characters, all of it. so, for me, it deserves the top spot.

I liked Dune and Ender's Game but as stand-alones, and while I diagree over the position of Dune in the list (should be in the 20s somewhere), as those 2 are taken as stand-alones, I think the aSoIaF books should be taken as stand-alones as well... Otherwise, you'd have to count the sequels of both Dune and Ender's game along as well and then they fall allllll the way to the bottom of the list.

Figbiscuit
02-26-2013, 06:36 AM
LOTR appears at number one for the same reason that Star Wars or The Godfather tend to appear as number one film in similar lists. Because that's how these things are.

I think putting GRRM at number 5 with a series which is so far unfinished and no indication of when it might be, or even where the damn plot is going, is a little ambitious, but then that's what you get for making a TV series.

As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans :p

PTerry doesn't appear till number 57?!?!?! :eek:

That being said, I haven't read nearly as many of those books as I'd have liked to, and some I have read I've always intended to read again, so I for one have printed the printable version. My kindle wishlist is about to get a LOT longer :D

yks 6nnetu hing
02-26-2013, 07:04 AM
As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans :p

there's a lot of Asimov on the list, but no Strugatsky, for instance. So, yes. Also, a lot of the SF books there are... um... old. Why isn't Otherland on there? it's totally better than a lot of those '60s books. As much as I love her, Diana Gabaldon really shouldn't be on this list, the Fantasy aspect of her books is so negligible.

GonzoTheGreat
02-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Does the Sword of Truth series really count as Science Fiction?
We know (from the author, who should know) that it isn't Fantasy, don't we?

I do like the order of #79 and #80 in this list.

Daekyras
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
LOTR appears at number one for the same reason that Star Wars or The Godfather tend to appear as number one film in similar lists. Because that's how these things are.

I think putting GRRM at number 5 with a series which is so far unfinished and no indication of when it might be, or even where the damn plot is going, is a little ambitious, but then that's what you get for making a TV series.As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans :p

That being said, I haven't read nearly as many of those books as I'd have liked to, and some I have read I've always intended to read again, so I for one have printed the printable version. My kindle wishlist is about to get a LOT longer :D

It's even worse if you make a movie.

I love Robert A Heinlen. One of the most amazing writers I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Stranger in a strange Land is a great book. Close to his best so no problems with it's position in the list.

Starship Troopers- This is so inferior to many of hisd others. Expecially The moon is a Harsh mistress or The Cat who walks through walls.

And then proper classics like the forever war by joe Haldernon are below this not to mention "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester which is in with a shout as greatest novel ever written.

Weird Harold
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
...Diana Gabaldon really shouldn't be on this list, the Fantasy aspect of her books is so negligible.

I disagree, the time travel element is central to the Outlander series. Every action of the main characters is colored by the conflict between 20th century and 18th century sensibilities.

I've read most of the nominees, and I think the list is "politically correct;" books/series like LotR are on there because they were the first or influential more than because they were actually "good."

I would have liked to see the Recluse series by L.E. Modessit, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, 1632 (the Ring of fire Series) By Eric Flint (and others) and the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey on the list. I'm not sure which titles I'd drop to make room for them, though.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I am actually shocked at how many I HAVE read. i figured there would be a high percentage, but man, I guess I am a sci-fi/fantasy nerd.

One thing that stands out is I apparently only give authors one shot. For example Gaiman. I hated American Gods, so I dismiss everything else. Not worth my time (limited) or money (also limited). Folks I respect can recommend them to high-heaven, I am not wasting my time on them.

Edited-to-Add: I actually voted in this survey! Heh.

Mort
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I was surprised that Rothfuss with his Kingkiller chronicles got to #18. Probably because he's hot right now. I like the books but they aren't that good IMO.

Small spoiler for King killer chronicles by Rothfuss:
Very well written, but has anything really happened yet ?

Ender's game is a favorite of mine. Reading Snow crash #26 by Neal Stephenson now, on audiobook though. Have a hard time getting into it properly, maybe because of the format.

Then there are so many I havn't read yet.

suttree
02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I was surprised that Rothfuss with his Kingkiller chronicles got to #18. Probably because he's hot right now. I like the books but they aren't that good IMO.

Small spoiler for King killer chronicles by Rothfuss:
Very well written, but has anything really happened yet ?

Ender's game is a favorite of mine. Reading Snow crash #26 by Neal Stephenson now, on audiobook though. Have a hard time getting into it properly, maybe because of the format.

Then there are so many I havn't read yet.

He is actually excellant with foreshadowing and hinting at a much larger conflict. Check out the reread on Tor that really delves deep into the mysteries of the story. I think it's brilliant going the whol unreliable narrator route and making the reader piece it all together.

DahLliA
03-04-2013, 06:32 AM
ASoIaF in the top 10 and MBotF at 81?

I disagree :p

As for LotR getting the top spot. It's good and it is where it all started, but it doesn't hold a candle to most epic fantasy IMO

Davian93
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Okay, I have a bunch of comments that are in no particular order.

1. The Godfather and Godfather II are at the top of lists because they are two amazing movies that are tough to equal let alone be better than.

2. Lord of the Rings is good in that it kick-started modern fantasy...other than that, I never cared for them.

3. American Gods by Neil Gaiman did indeed suck as SBC noted...so very very disappointed by it.

4. Sword of Truth is pure garbage.

5. Ender's Game is the only good book OSC ever wrote. He's a hateful racist bigot and nobody should ever buy his books and give him money in the process. If you must read Ender's Game, go get a library card or borrow it from somebody. He's a loser who has been milking one good book for nearly 30 years now.

6. I liked the first Dune when I read it but did not find it world-changing.

7. Heinlein was awesome...also, don't underrate Starship Troopers becuase of a terrible movie that shared a name and nothing else. It was a great book...especially if you take many of the fascist overtones for satire. Not his best novel but still solid. Moon is a Harsh Mistress is his best IMHO.

8. I dont get how you can rate GRRM at all at this point as he's likely going to die before his series is even close to complete.

GonzoTheGreat
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
5. Ender's Game is the only good book OSC ever wrote. He's a hateful racist bigot and nobody should ever buy his books and give him money in the process. If you must read Ender's Game, go get a library card or borrow it from somebody. He's a loser who has been milking one good book for nearly 30 years now.
To be fair to him, having had one good book does put him one ahead of L. Ron Hubbard. Though that one managed to cook up his religion rather than having to use one that had been invented by someone else.

Ishara
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Saucy, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. :) Gaiman's Neverwhere is one of my all-time faves. Beautifully written and a wonderful world that he's created under London.

I haven't looked, but I trust that GGK is on the list?

Weird Harold
03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Saucy, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. :) Gaiman's Neverwhere is one of my all-time faves. Beautifully written and a wonderful world that he's created under London.

I haven't looked, but I trust that GGK is on the list?
GGK should be, but isn't.

Davian93
03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
GGK should be, but isn't.

Which is weird given that there are several very, very questionable choices on that list. GGK isn't for the masses though...which is good.

Ishara
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
He is not for the masses - thank goodness. You're right, Dav.

But still, BAH.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-08-2013, 02:32 AM
I might get lynched for this but... I find GGK unpredictable: some of his stuff is really really REALLY good (Tigana) but some of the most raved about books I found rather underwhelming (Fionwar Tapestry). Not bad, by a long shot; and they're all beautifully written. Just... I didn't catch the fever and oompf of the story, it didn't connect.

Speaking of underwhelming: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm not done yet, but... I don't think I'll be reading it again. It's not that it's bad, it just doesn't speak to me.

Davian93
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I might get lynched for this but... I find GGK unpredictable: some of his stuff is really really REALLY good (Tigana) but some of the most raved about books I found rather underwhelming (Fionwar Tapestry). Not bad, by a long shot; and they're all beautifully written. Just... I didn't catch the fever and oompf of the story, it didn't connect.

Speaking of underwhelming: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm not done yet, but... I don't think I'll be reading it again. It's not that it's bad, it just doesn't speak to me.

Exactly my feelings on it...just blah.

Davian93
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
He is not for the masses - thank goodness. You're right, Dav.

But still, BAH.

Another month till his next book comes out...I'm super excited about it.

Mort
03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I liked American Gods. A long time ago I read it though, maybe I will have another opinion of it today? I will never know, cuz I'm not gonna re-read it :p

Ishara
03-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I loved Under Heaven, but it simply didn't speak to me in the way that his earlier (Western) books have...and I wonder if it's simply that my own personal exposure and interests have always been rooted in Roman/ Greek/ Moorish history. So I find more of an affinity for those books? It took me exactly 3 reads to learn to truly love Last Light of the Sun, so it's about time I give Under Heaven a re-read before his next book (also taking place in his version of China) comes out.

As for the Tapestry...it's what I read first. The Five are from Toronto (down the street), it's deeply romantic and tragic and not everyone makes it, and it's never quite a happy ending - all of that appeals to me generally, so I think that may be why it holds the place in my heart that it does.

Oatman
03-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Well, apparantly the Starks are royals and the Watchmen were part of a group called the Crimebusters.

Whoever wrote that list should at least have read the books