PDA

View Full Version : Today is a historic day for me.

JSUCamel
09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
As of September 13, 2008, I am completely debt free, having paid off my student loans and credit cards, thanks to my hard work and dedication to my job and--oh, who am I kidding. It was from an inheritance check I received from my late great-aunt. (Thanks, Aunt Estelle!)

And to the rest of you still paying off your student loans and credit cards... I feel your pain.

Ivhon
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
HUGE congo rats!! Everywhere!

We've been working hard to erase the stupidity of college. We got our non-student debt taken care of a year or so ago by melting down the credit cards (debit only for us).

But now that we are within a very few thousand dollars of student loans, Im about to start 3 or so years of grad school.

Meh.

Isabel
09-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Wooohoo Congrats Camel :)))))
Must feel great to have no debt :)

jason wolfbrother
09-13-2008, 03:17 PM
congrats Camel. Still paying off my student loans slowly but surely :)

Davian93
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Spare some change?

Terez
09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm scared of the day I have to start paying these student loans back...is there a student loan game show? There should be...

Davian93
09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I know someone who has over $200K in student loans and they make like 35 K a year now. Apparently Columbia Law School is expensive. Can you imagine having the equivalent of a mortgage to pay back just for student loans?

Terez
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't have that much yet but I will by the time I get my PhD. :(

Davian93
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't have that much yet but I will by the time I get my PhD. :(

You could always stay in school for the rest of your life and keep deferring them...let your heirs deal with the problem.;)

Anaiya Sedai
09-13-2008, 09:10 PM
should I be silly enough and possibly follow up on an idea I had a couple of weeks ago, I might just end up with loans like that.. :S

Terez
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
You could always stay in school for the rest of your life and keep deferring them...let your heirs deal with the problem.;)
Problem is, there is a cap on how many loans you can get. Of course, I might be able to get TA positions forever and thereby be able to afford staying in school forever. I'll see what I can do...

Cary Sedai
09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Congratulations, Camel! :D

Frenzy
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
~tips hat to Camel~

Crispin's Crispian
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
That's awesome Camel. Between my wife and I...we owe a lot in student loans. We don't have any credit card debt, which is awesome, but someday when we pay off our student loans we won't know what to do with all the money.

Brita
09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I happen to like loans. They give me pretty things and take me to expensive places. They send me mail regularly and sometimes even call me out of the blue just to see how I'm doing. They sure do know how to treat a girl right, and I believe them when they tell me there are no strings attached.

Just kidding- seriously Camel that is enviable news. Congrats!

Yuri33
09-15-2008, 01:06 AM
I'd like to thank the NIH and US taxpayers for allowing me to avoid educational loans of any kind via the MSTP (http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocOverview-MSTP.htm). Perhaps I'll be able to pay you all back in the future with some form of advancement in healthcare.

Or, of course, I'll send you a check directly...

BTW, I think I read in another thread that you were coming to Chicago, Camel. Let me know if you ever want to meet up.

Terez
09-15-2008, 01:29 AM
I'd like to thank the NIH and US taxpayers for allowing me to avoid educational loans of any kind via the MSTP (http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocOverview-MSTP.htm). I'm not sure how it is in other areas, but at my school, nursing is the #1 major because of government support, and at some schools around here, they don't require core classes for RN certification, and it's only a two year program. I'm pretty sure that the regular degree stuff is required at my school, though.

Yuri33
09-15-2008, 02:03 AM
When you say government support, do you mean never-have-to-pay-back-a-penny-no-strings-attached support or do they involve some kind of obligation after training?

Terez
09-15-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm not really sure - I have a couple of friends that got grants to pay for everything, but I don't know how common that is. Some people get two full Pell Grants - I never knew that was allowed.

Anaiya Sedai
09-15-2008, 06:01 AM
on a related note: how do your student loans work in the US?

Davian93
09-15-2008, 06:44 AM
on a related note: how do your student loans work in the US?

"Here, have some money and go to school."

~4 years of wonderful blissful deferment~

"Sir/Ma'am, please to be bending over now."

That is my understanding on talking to those that have them.

Zaela Sedai
09-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Though at least the rates are somewhat low.

Me...I just didn't go to school and work with a bunch of people who did....yet we're at the same job, making the same amount of money....BUT one of us doesn't have loans....and promotions? Doesn't matter if you have a degree, you need only need to excel at the job. I'm just lucky I guess.

Davian93
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Though at least the rates are somewhat low.

Me...I just didn't go to school and work with a bunch of people who did....yet we're at the same job, making the same amount of money....BUT one of us doesn't have loans....and promotions? Doesn't matter if you have a degree, you need only need to excel at the job. I'm just lucky I guess.

Or simply enter a field where your selfless courageous service to patriotism and country helps out as much as college.

Oh and they gave me a clearance too. (clearance=$$$). And paid for schooling. :) All I had to do was get shot at for a while.

Anaiya Sedai
09-15-2008, 07:33 AM
student loans are very tightly regulated here - foreign students can't really get them, people who already have a dergree can't really get them, people who dropped out from a course before have restrictions... the list is long. and the application process is annoying.
paying the loans starts when you are earning more than 15k p/year, and even then, you're likely to be paying them back for a long time - but after a certain amount of time, the rest of the loan that hasn't been payed off just disappears (so I'm totally taking advantage of that).

Ishara
09-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow - you should be so proud of yourself Camel! Way to go!