PDA

View Full Version : Like the Dresden Files?

Dragon Thief
03-12-2013, 01:33 AM
Sorry.

This thread is not about those books, but about some very similar ones. The Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne (http://www.kevinhearne.com/). He writes quickly, has a 5 books in the series done (and a few short stories & novellas), is pretty relate-able in his blog / FB posts.

The books are about an Irish/Celtic Druid, Atticus, who has lived for two thousand years with the help of some alchemy and still looks like he's 21, and is living in modern day Phoenix, AZ. He's bonded to, and can talk with, his Irish Woflhound Oberon - who's freaking hilarious. I mean, the dog watches TV and makes geek references with Atticus, and always talks about how much he loves bitches (eg, real female dogs) & bacon. The books are very fast paced, fun, humorous, and similar to the Dresden Files - besides the obvious (celtic themes, druid instead of wizard, etc) there's a little less hard-boiled mystery and a bit more humor to them, while keeping very much the same feel.

Anyone else read them? If not, give at least the first one a go.

The books & stories so far are:
Short Story - Clan Rathskeller
1 - Hounded
2 - Hexed
3 - Hammered
Short Story - A Test of Mettle (concurrent with book 3)
4 - Tricked
Novella - Two Ravens And One Crow
5 - Trapped
6 - Hunted (coming 2014-ish)

Mort
03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
That sounds amazing! Gonna keep them in mind when I need a new book. The short stories, is the order you posted them the order you should read them or how does it work?

suttree
03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Another good series along those lines starts with Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Nothing too complex, just a quick page turner but entertaining and well done.

Jalyn
03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Audible has been suggesting the Iron Druid series to me forever, but always some later book in the series, so I ignored it. I'll have to take a look.