PDA

View Full Version : Perrin and Hopper

Tollingtoy
03-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I got a sense from reading some of Brandon's comments (especially about the Dark Prophecy from TOM) that the souls of Perrin and Hopper are connected in some way, possibly even paralleling the connection between Luc and Isam. Do we have any true sense of the nature of this connection? Are the two really linked together in some way?

SauceyBlueConfetti
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Terez got as close to a final answer on this as we can apparently expect!...My favorite part of this is the "sighs loudly" bit because it encompasses how we ALL feel when a question is answered the way Brandon did here :)

Interview: Feb 22nd, 2013
AMOL Signing Report - Terez (Verbatim)
Terez
The next one is something that somebody asked for me—on my behalf—before, but did Perrin bind his soul to the hammer? Or...

Brandon Sanderson
Did Perrin bind his soul to the hammer? That's an interesting question. Why are they asking this?

Terez
Because I asked before, was it Hopper? It's because of what Slayer said about his ability to step in and out....

Brandon Sanderson
Right, was based on having two souls in one body...

Terez
Yeah, and he said, "It's just like you," right?

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
You know, so it has to be something.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, it's a good question. (with an air of finality) That's a very good question.

Terez
(sighs loudly) (people around laugh)

Brandon Sanderson
I would say...how about this: I would say the relationship between Perrin and Hopper is...part of the reason that...Hopper may not...have suffered as dire a fate...(crosstalk)

Terez
That's what I was hoping for...

Brandon Sanderson
...as wolves would normally suffer when killed where Hopper was killed. How about that?

Terez
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for, but your answer to the last one kind of drew me on the path of the hammer, which was somebody else's idea, right?

Brandon Sanderson
Mmmhmm.

Terez
But yeah. Good!

Brandon Sanderson
So there you go.

Terez
That makes me happy.

Tags
perrin, hopper, a memory of light, tel'aran'rhiod, slayer, souls, .

Tollingtoy
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I saw that post, which is what I think led me down this trail of thought. I was hoping that minds greater than mine could help decipher it. For me, understanding the relationship between Isam and Luc and how he is able to do what he does is one of the greatest mysteries of the series. I have a sense that how Perrin and Hopper are connected and the abilities he have are somehow related to what Slayer does. But, I can't really understand why

Dom
03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I saw that post, which is what I think led me down this trail of thought. I was hoping that minds greater than mine could help decipher it. For me, understanding the relationship between Isam and Luc and how he is able to do what he does is one of the greatest mysteries of the series. I have a sense that how Perrin and Hopper are connected and the abilities he have are somehow related to what Slayer does. But, I can't really understand why

One reason why Brandon is so close-mouthed about it is that he said RJ left many notes on Luc and Isam and (that, I just suspect) wolfbrothers. I get the feeling he's got some sort of an embargo on these issues, because of the Encyclopedia.

We don't have much to go by. Personally I suspect there may have been more than met the eye in the EOTW episode where Hopper died and Perrin lived. It still doesn't give us much to go by. Was there a true connection between them before that, or did Perrin by avenging his death somehow bound himself to Hopper beyond the wolf's death? Or were they always soulmates and Perrin's wolfbrother ability was triggered by meeting this "guide". *shrugs*. We really have not much to come up with more than ideas/theories that it's very hard to ground in facts. RJ really played all this very close to the vest. It seems to be issues for which RJ had explanations, but he didn't seem to think the story required us to know, and it's one for which he didn't really encourage us with teases and clues to be curious about, unlike several other "mysteries". He wrote it all more so we'd take it all in stride, as part of the general WB abilities. We spent most of the series not really having a clue it might be similar or connected to Slayer's abilities, and we rather focused on Slayer's hatred of wolves and a possible connection to Darkhounds that didn't materialize.

That Perrin could eventually emulate Slayer and jump in and out of TAR was a big surprise (is this because RJ was waiting for AMOL to foreshadow it and Brandon was more lighthanded with that than RJ might have been, we'll new know).

In both cases, there's a live entity and one entity dead but seemingly alive in TAR (the possibility Luc is a HoH still exists). In both cases, the living entity was probably (certainly, for Perrin-Hopper) present and involved when the other died. Perrin avenged Hopper's death, Isam is suspected to have killed Luc but... we don't really know. Both carry objects with a wolf on it (Isam's belt, Perrin's hammer). Some think Hopper's soul is bound in the hammer.

We might be able to puzzle out more later depending on what the Encyclopedia gives us of the Luc/Isam notes and how his ability worked, or if it gives us good new material on wolfbrothers and "spirit guides". The earlier series made us think these all came from Shai'tan in Slayer's case, but Isam's comment about his similarity to Perrin suggests there's a bit more to it than that.

Tollingtoy
03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Great points Dom! I feel like I have a really hard time fully "understanding" this part of the story, how it fits into the whole and why it was so important without knowing more about it.