PDA

View Full Version : I'm done

Figbiscuit
04-07-2013, 03:18 PM
I've finished it. A little late to the party I know, but I had to wait for the right time to read it. Note, I have literally just finished it, a few minutes ago, so these thoughts probably aren't going to make much sense.

Firstly, I was not disappointed. Not in the end. I was reading it to start with thinking I didn't like it, which was really worrying me, but I lost that. I don't know when, I've been lost in the epicness for a few days now. I haven't been rushing it, been forcing myself to put it down, partly to make it last, partly so my mind didn't melt....

SO MUCH BATTLE! That was really hard to read at first. It was relentless. I know, I should have realised what it was going to be like, it is the Last Battle after all. And I've got to be honest, out of all the deaths, the first one to make my eyes fill was Bela :( And the whole scene with Egwene made me shiver all over. Maybe a lot of what happened was obvious to a lot of people, but myself I never read books and try to second guess what's coming. Not with anything. I like to just read it with an open mind and let it wash over me as it comes.

There were a few bits of language at the start which jarred with me, some phrases were just too modern, which I think is why I wasn't enjoying it to start with, but I've gotta be honest, I thought it was very well crafted in the end. I'm reeling a bit at the moment, I feel drunk on WoT.

I'm rambling anyway, I just had to get this off my chest with other people who know how I feel, my OH is trying his best but he doesn't really get it. How could he? This has been half my life. As I said on fb just now, how am I supposed to live the rest of my life not waiting for the next WoT book?

Looking forward to finally getting to read all the posts on this mysterious board which I've had to stay away from for such a long time ;) I'm expecting to see some crowing as various theories were fulfilled :cool:

I'll be back. It was an ending. Peace.

Figbiscuit
04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
One more thought - although a lot of it may have been obvious to a lot of people, and I wasn't second guessing any of it, there were an awful lot of things I read which made me think 'oh yeah....now I see it it's obvious that had to happen, it's been foreshadowed FOREVER'...such as Lan sheathing the sword, and other things I can't think of right now because I'm trying to hold my brain within my skull and not let it pour out of my ears.

Oh, and that whole scene with Perrin and Slayer shifting in and out of worlds at the end really reminded me of Thief of Time, the Discworld novel in which they can slice time. Which has absolutely no relevance to anything, it just made me think of it.

Rand al'Fain
04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Actually, the Egwene death scene surprised many people, as did Bela's. There were even some discussions on it. Some were surprised good (good that she died), good (that she went out with a bang/Rand thing), and bad (don't think she should have died).

Personally, I had hoped for an ending where Rand could just settle down and live a quiet life with no more politics, wars, or fate of the world on his shoulders. I got that, not in the way I liked (never a fan of body swap or soul-fusion theories on here), but he still got a new life without all of those things in there. And only a handful of people even know he's still alive. 1 may be an issue going forward, but the rest are just happy at him being alive (and were horrible actors).

And the battle scene was long, since it was the battle to decide the fate of the Light side forces and humanity in general (Shara excluded, and they only had a handful of channelers and a decimated army by the end of the battle).

Figbiscuit
04-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Oh I know why the battle scene was long, it was just SO LONG! Ha. Over the total final three books it's a relative proportion tho so it's OK, I can live with it ;) And like I said, once I was into it it flowed over me anyway, I didn't notice it so much when I was fully engrossed.

I didn't expect Egwene to die. Not after all the promising about how she could have been the greatest Amrylin ever. Although with hindsight it makes sense - the harem had been prophesised visible after the end, and noone with any heart was going to kill Nynaeve and leave Lan alone again, so one of the supergirls had to go. She annoyed me more in this book, part of which is bound to be the influence of all the haterz on here, but still, I didn't want to see her dead for it! Gawyn was a bit of a cheese tho, childish to the end, wanting his chance at Demandred at the sacrifice of all else. And he was so promising to start with too :rolleyes:

The only other things which let me down a bit were - Mat killing Fain, just like that. I expected Fain to have more to do at the end, after being built up for so long, although it was nicely circular with Mat being the one to do it. (On a side note, did anyone else read that bit first off and think that Mat had died??)

The second thing was just that Rand suddenly was in Moridin's body, with absolutely no explanation of how or what happened. Never mind why. Cheese. Big cheese.

Rand al'Fain
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
The second thing was just that Rand suddenly was in Moridin's body, with absolutely no explanation of how or what happened. Never mind why. Cheese. Big cheese.

Well, let's put it this way. Rand had control of the weaves (channeling through Moridin, kind of like an a'dam) and Rand had also come into contact with the threads of the Wheel of Time itself. So, that connection, plus coming into contact with the very things that place the entire world together, and it's not too hard to see how it happened.

Still don't like that they swapped bodies, but I'll live with it, since it did give Rand the one thing I wanted for him; a quite a peaceful life without having to worry about being a political force and assassinations and what not. Aside from his harem and Cadsuane, I think everyone else believes him dead (though his harem are horrible actors that make small children look like great ones).

GonzoTheGreat
04-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Well, let's put it this way. Rand had control of the weaves (channeling through Moridin, kind of like an a'dam) and Rand had also come into contact with the threads of the Wheel of Time itself. So, that connection, plus coming into contact with the very things that place the entire world together, and it's not too hard to see how it happened.
Additionally, there is some circumstantial evidence to suggest that the DO had the ability to do things like that. And at the time that it supposedly happened, Rand had full control of the DO's powers.

Figbiscuit
04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Additionally, there is some circumstantial evidence to suggest that the DO had the ability to do things like that. And at the time that it supposedly happened, Rand had full control of the DO's powers.

*facepalm*

I didn't do much in depth thinking this time round. Maybe next time.