PDA

View Full Version : The 11 words that *almost* redeemed Galad for me (spoliers, obviously)

Aerylle
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Received and finished the MoT e-book yesterday. Lots of reactions, of course, but at the moment, I limited it to Galad.

Galad, what can I say about you? He has been so perfect from the beginning with his absolute morals, great swordsmanship and fantastically good looks. He was the Randland star quarterback right down to his pairing with prom queen Berelain. What I'm saying is that for pretty much the entire series, I couldn't stand him.

And then, there was this moment. Eleven words that actually made me cheer for his character:

Galad held to his bleeding stump, then spat at Demandred's feet.

It was sublime. After having to put up with thousands of words about how near like a god he was in appearance and character, one would expect him to end with a great victory, or at least, go out in a beautiful blaze of poetic glory. Instead, there he was in the moment of his apparent death: disfigured, alone, beaten and, most surprising of all, defiant - contemptuous, even. I loved it.

If Galad could have died defiant, I could have died happy. But, no, he lived. BAH. Still Mr. Perfect. Why couldn't you just DIE?!

Argh.

GonzoTheGreat
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
If Galad could have died defiant, I could have died happy. But, no, he lived. BAH. Still Mr. Perfect. Why couldn't you just DIE?!
We can probably blame Gawyn for that one. After all, he was the one who told Galad about his other half brother.

Zombie Sammael
04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Alternately, he defied Demandred by living. I'm sure Demmy would have preferred him to die.

Ishara
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Ah, the familiar bitter feeling of being robbed of a significant and meaningful death. We've never felt that before....LOL. ;)

Galad was indeed infinitely more awesome with that one expectoration. :)

Ivhon
04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Ah, the familiar bitter feeling of being robbed of a significant and meaningful death. We've never felt that before....LOL. ;)

Galad was indeed infinitely more awesome with that one expectoration. :)

I'm especially good at expeeeeeeectoratiiiiing....

*chorus* Oh, what a guuuy, Galaaaad...