PDA

View Full Version : Where is "I can't keep up"?

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
I met a girl at JordanCon who had me laughing...she said she comes and lurks (or used to) but felt she just couldn't keep up with the knowledge level/analytical levels of the folks here. I told her we are super nice, she should come and create a login of I Can't Keep Up. I keep waiting to see it :D I called her that all weekend, and she kept laughing about it.

If she shows up, be nice!!!

Figbiscuit
05-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Don't worry, I Can't Keep Up, I can't speak for everyone but I feel like that too and I dare say I'm not alone. Very occasionally I drop by a WoT thread to make some inane comment, just to prove that I have actually read the books..

Sei'taer
05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
You read? What a nerd!!!

Zombie Sammael
05-21-2013, 07:04 PM
"I can't keep up" is pretty much how I felt when I was doing the bike ride...

Figbiscuit
05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
You read? What a nerd!!!

At least I can read!!

Nazbaque
05-29-2013, 09:19 PM
I met a girl at JordanCon who had me laughing...she said she comes and lurks (or used to) but felt she just couldn't keep up with the knowledge level/analytical levels of the folks here. I told her we are super nice, she should come and create a login of I Can't Keep Up. I keep waiting to see it :D I called her that all weekend, and she kept laughing about it.

If she shows up, be nice!!!
I am always nice. You know that, mom.
At least I can read!!
It could be worse fig. You could be a super nerd like me who can not only read but write too.

Figbiscuit
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I am always nice. You know that, mom.

It could be worse fig. You could be a super nerd like me who can not only read but write too.

You fancy Europeans, with all your tricks :rolleyes:

GonzoTheGreat
05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
That does raise the question: what was invented first, reading or writing?
If they first invented writing, then they wouldn't have had any way of checking to see whether or not they did it right. But if they first invented reading, there wouldn't have been anything to read, and then it would have been rather hard to convince the students to put in the hard work of mastering that art.

Figbiscuit
05-30-2013, 08:28 AM
That does raise the question: what was invented first, reading or writing?
If they first invented writing, then they wouldn't have had any way of checking to see whether or not they did it right. But if they first invented reading, there wouldn't have been anything to read, and then it would have been rather hard to convince the students to put in the hard work of mastering that art.

I'm going to take this seriously, and go with reading. Reading (or the translation of symbols) was invented well before the creation of letters to represent sound.

Light Ranger
08-05-2013, 04:55 AM
I don't know about that, Figbiscuit. I'd say symbols could be "sounded out."

I think writing happened first, specifically in the form of oral tradition.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't know about that, Figbiscuit. I'd say symbols could be "sounded out."

I think writing happened first, specifically in the form of oral tradition.

Artwork as a representation of history, mapping, and religion was used first. That moved on to symbols, and eventually letters So "reading" occured first in the purest sense of the term. Folks "read" the artwork and interpreted what they saw, then found better ways to express the ideas.

Two Rivers Man
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
:D Only in Theoryland can an 'I can't keep up' intro thread turn into a 'which came first - reading or writing' discussion.

Gotta love it. :):rolleyes: