PDA

View Full Version : The Forsaken in the Early Books

Tollingtoy
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm just looking to alleviate some confusion here about which Forsaken were involved in which early book plots, since all of it is not made totally clear--as far as I can tell anyway

1. From what I can tell, Ishmael ordered Liandrin to bring the girls to Falme so he could put them on a ship and send them away. He also ordered the BA to kill Elayne and Min if they stayed behind like they were supposed to.

2. What exactly is Lanfear doing in the White Tower disgused as Else besides keeping tabs on Mat? She mentioned to him that she had "other interests" there, so what are they? Was she involved with the Gray Man or Slayer being there? Who ordered both of these?

3. It doesn't seem like Mesaana is that actively involved in the WT in the first three books, so is Lanfear the one who is attempting to sew dischord in the Tower and bring it down? Or, is this another Ishmael plot?

4. If Liandrin's Black Ajah are being ordered by Ishmael, how do they end up working for Bel'al in Tear?

Any thoughts?

GonzoTheGreat
05-29-2013, 03:22 AM
1. Probably sort of right, though I am not at all sure that Ishamael cared about Min (or Elayne) at that point. His interest was in Egwene and Nynaeve, who had a clear link to Rand then.

2. I think that she was checking out Egwene to see whether or not she was still competition. I also suspect that was looking to see whether she could pick a conveniently unguarded sa'angreal or two.

3. Good question/questions.

4. The went to Tear, possibly based on orders from Ishamael, maybe based on orders from Lanfear. When they arrived there, they were snapped up by Be'lal, who at that point was nominally equal to the other two Forsaken, and could thus simply appropriate any DF he fancied.

Any thoughts?
I think not.

Zombie Sammael
05-29-2013, 04:48 AM
There's a quote in the interview database about which of the Forsaken was released first. That might help answer some of your questions.

Tollingtoy
05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the insight!

eht slat meit
05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
I would expect that the common thread here is Ishmael, and the fact that he's the only one that hasn't been sealed up in the Blight for the entire time. As the guy with the lock on the most up-to-date information on the world outside, he was in a natural position to use that to his advantage. I can't imagine Shai'tan info-dumping his Forsaken like some giant-sized library of knowledge, but Ishmael's the kind of guy who would, and in such a way that it benefits himself the most, lining him up for the Nae'bliss. Got some loser like Rahvin that you want somewhere he can be useful? Tup tup old bean, there's a little queen with a line of previous lovers over in Andor. You'll fit right in!