PDA

View Full Version : Slayer and the 'Finns

Tollingtoy
06-18-2013, 08:34 PM
When we first meet Slayer, Perrin mentions his "cold, inhuman scent". After chasing him the the Tower of Ghenjei, Perrin mentions the same scent. Is this because Slayer's scent is similar to the 'Finns or because Slayer disappeared into the Tower? I say this because earlier in the book, Mat frequently mentions the strange scents in Sindhol, and his nose is not nearly as sensitive as Perrin's is.

Also, why is Slayer going inside the Tower? Is his creation the work of the 'Finns? I know there is ample evidence that some of Mordeth's powers are a result of their intervention, could this be true of Slayer also?

Weird Harold
06-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Also, why is Slayer going inside the Tower?

He isn't. He went out of sight near the ToG and dropped out of T'A'R; Hoping to trick Perrin into going into the ToG from T'A'R (which is nearly impossible to escape from.)

Tollingtoy
06-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Let me rephrase: Is Perrin smelling Slayer's residue or the smell of the 'Finns coming from the Tower?

Also, can the Tower be entered more easily in T'AR than in the waking world? How would Perrin have chased him in without a bronze knife to cut the hole?

Weird Harold
06-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Let me rephrase: Is Perrin smelling Slayer's residue or the smell of the 'Finns coming from the Tower?

No clue, really. Perrin believes he's smelling Slayer, IIRC.

Also, can the Tower be entered more easily in T'AR than in the waking world? How would Perrin have chased him in without a bronze knife to cut the hole?

If it's not possible to just imagine a doorway (with fine oak panels, stained glass window, flanked by doric columns and flowerpots full of daisies,) then it should certainly be possible to conjure up abronze knife. :rolleyes:

Tollingtoy
06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
But if Slayer's goal is to lure Perrin into the Tower, how would Perrin know how to get in?

Weird Harold
06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
But if Slayer's goal is to lure Perrin into the Tower, how would Perrin know how to get in?Making Perrin Search for a way in is almost as good as Perrin going in the ToG from Slayer's perspective; either way, Perrin is no longer chasing Slayer and trying to kill him.

Terez
06-20-2013, 03:11 AM
RJ said it was impossible to enter from Tel'aran'rhiod, which makes Birgitte's comment a bit nonsensical, but oh well.

Tollingtoy
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Making Perrin Search for a way in is almost as good as Perrin going in the ToG from Slayer's perspective; either way, Perrin is no longer chasing Slayer and trying to kill him.

Well played sir!!

Tollingtoy
06-20-2013, 08:40 PM
RJ said it was impossible to enter from Tel'aran'rhiod, which makes Birgitte's comment a bit nonsensical, but oh well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

On another note, is there any evidence that Slayer has been to see the Finns? That is sort of what I was fishing for with this

eht slat meit
06-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

On another note, is there any evidence that Slayer has been to see the Finns? That is sort of what I was fishing for with this

Yeah, I found that an interesting thread, though probably not for the same reasons. If you read between the time lines at the same time Slayer was hunting Fain, he was sniffing around two of the three entrances to Sindhol, and "Mordeth" is confirmed as having entered Sindhol. The question is, did Mordeth actually go in at *that* particular point in time and did Slayer actually try and physically go in after him knowing he couldn't get into Sindhol via TAR, or did he stick to trying to intercept him at the entryways before the dust-up at Two Rivers? Could have, but a lot of ifs in it.

Given all the new powers Fain showed off throughout the books, I'm guessing he went through during the books, and probably at that point in time, explaining how he got around from Falme, to the Whitecloaks, to Two Rivers like he was some kind of channeler. That's a hellovalot of walking/riding.

Tollingtoy
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I can't remember the specific quote, but for some reason I feel like Mordeth went to Sindhol back during the Trolloc Wars and the powers he gained there led to the destruction of Aridhol

Terez
06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
RJ said that his new powers were a product of the combination between what the Dark One did to Fain and what Shadar Logoth did to Mordeth. He traveled around quickly because he used the Ways.

Tollingtoy
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Terez - Is there anything that suggests Mordeth visited Sindhol?

eht slat meit
06-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Terez - Is there anything that suggests Mordeth visited Sindhol?

It's not in the books, it's in the interview databse:

Ted Herman: Did Mordeth go to the Finns?
Brandon Sanderson: YES.

Which suggests that it might be worthwhile to distinguish between "Fain's powers" and "new powers" and "mordeth's powers"

Fain's - Shadow Hound
Mordeth's - Possibly Sindholian
New Powers - Aggregate of the two

Terez
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Indeed, it's helpful to distinguish. But I was just addressing this:

Given all the new powers Fain showed off throughout the books, I'm guessing he went through during the books, and probably at that point in time, explaining how he got around from Falme, to the Whitecloaks, to Two Rivers like he was some kind of channeler. That's a hellovalot of walking/riding.
The implication is that Mordeth went to Finnland before he went to Aridhol.

eht slat meit
06-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Indeed, it's helpful to distinguish. But I was just addressing this:

The implication is that Mordeth went to Finnland before he went to Aridhol.

Yeah, my response was solely to the bit about Sindhol - you raised a correct point about Fain's movement through the Ways that I'd forgotten.

My main interest was the bits of WoG-lore indicating that Mordeth had actually been to Sindhol at ANY point in time, and the hints that his own original set of powers and damages stemmed from it.

I considered two points of time potentially for the "when" of Mordeth going to Sindhol. 1> While Mordeth was the counsellor of Aridhol. 2> While Mordeth was merged with Fain.

As the (Eel?) gate that eventually ended up in Rhuidean appears to have been more or less chronologically isolated from Mordeth's own timeline, it would appear that he either had to go through the Tower of Ghenjei or the (Ael?) gate (that iirc was in the proximity of Safer, later Mayene & Tear). Both are located within the original southwestern Ten Nations geographies of the Shadow Coast.

But yeah, I'm inclined to think (without solid evidence) that the trip to Sindhol must have happened while Mordeth was hunting for non-Shadow-powers as counsellor of Aridhol, because it seems inconsistent with RJ's world to have a demonically empowered city that got that way all by itself, unaided by Dark One or use of the OP or any other outside source. Aridhol and Sindhol are an ideal match-up.

It would have been an alternative explanation (hunting for Fain-deth) that explained why Slayer was dropping out of TAR at Ghenjei, but as you pointed out, Fain-deth was using the Ways.

Interesting digging trip of itself, brings up things I hadn't noticed at all, like the "Ripples " that Faile experienced had also happened at/around the original drilling of the Bore.